Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

7 hours ago, Le Renard said:

With the Spuds playing like a sack of them, maybe they will resurrect their interest in Rodgers. He's a good fit for them, we'll have to listen to him wax lyrical about Kane, I think the Rodger-ism's would go into overdrive. 

Oh I do hope so, I really do. For me this scenario would be the best belated Xmas prezzy..

I think its fair to say from my posts I detest the odious, cretinous little fraud Rodgers, and apart from Man Utd there isn't a team I loathe more than Spurs.

So to get rid of him to them with hopefully a spot of compensation chucked in, (nice bonus) then if he runs true to form and he reverts to his own wonderfully tried and tested managerial blue print, that's currently working  "oh so well" for us at the moment (and, according to the forum posts from the fans of his previous appointments has 'fooked' them up too, their posts not mine) in a season or two Spurs could be in a spot of bother or at least enjoying a torrid time similar to us as present. 

With regards to blowing smoke up Kane's ass, and playing up to his media chums, I couldn't care less, I haven't tuned in to any of Rodgers post match interviews or any of his interviews for the last 10 Mts. So he can go into the very aptly put "Rodger-ism's overdrive" as much as he likes I won't be hearing any of his BS..

Edited by Guppys Love Child
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt said:

If it works for them, do what's best for them, it's effective for them, doesn't make it any less boring but it's obviously effective, for them - with the best players.

For the record I don't believe Man Utd or Real Madrid play like it for the most part.

Arsenal are quite entertaining too - surprising given Arteta is Pep's apprentice.

For most teams, the 'lesser' teams, it generally doesn't work and causes nothing but errors and downfalls.

Ultimately teams should be looking to get the best out their players, working to their strengths, I don't think there's anything wrong in saying that.

Let me clarify myself because perhaps I put too much emphasis on possession based football per se - I have nothing against exciting, flowing, attacking, forward possession football, when I say direct I think people misinterpret it as long ball, route one - you can be direct without being long ball, route one.

However I have everything against nonsense possession football that gets teams no where other camped infront of their own 18 yeard box, passing aimlessly side to side, back and forth, rarely venturing over the half way line, that is negative, boring and pointless, yet so many teams play this way and so many people lap it up.

I agree 10000%   and this is one of the things I hate most about Rodgers and his insistence  in making us play this way

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Harpenden Fox said:

I don’t think he does. He often speaks about us not moving the ball quick enough. Why that doesn’t happen enough is more the issue? 

Agreed, not sure people realise how difficult it is to achieve free flowing, fearless, pacey football played at tempo in the prem. who does it right now? Arsenal, Man City, Newcastle to an extent. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Guppys Love Child said:

I agree 10000%   and this is one of the things I hate most about Rodgers and his insistence  in making us play this way

The fact that we play like that is almost certainly not by design though. I have no doubt that ideally he'd like us to be always playing slick exciting stuff and carving teams open. The problem imo is not that he deliberately coaches the players to do otherwise but that he is unable to get them to play the way he apparently wants them to. He's forever saying after games he wants us to be more aggressive with and without the ball, moving it quicker and being braver - ultimately it is his job to make those things happen.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Agreed, not sure people realise how difficult it is to achieve free flowing, fearless, pacey football played at tempo in the prem. who does it right now? Arsenal, Man City, Newcastle to an extent. 

We can to a fashon when allowed to,  we're not perfect at it. but far, far better at it then Brendanball, and IMO  we get better results when we adopt the it. It's when we play keepball that we invite pressure and come unstuck. That style just doesn't suit our squad personnel.

16 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

@Harpenden Fox

@Guest

Must just be us 4 that hears Rodgers constantly telling us how he likes his teams to play quick and aggressive and bemoans the ponderous back and side ball in post match interviews.

Truth is the injuries to Justin and Ricardo stops us playing the way he really wants, I see with those 2 back in we play Klopps 433 with those 2 being Klopps TAA and Robertson then we use the 3 MD we started with just like Klopps 3 they are not up there in terms of creative spark they are there to break up play and Henderson becomes the 3rd CB, we’d have Ndidi doing that whilst the 2 fullbacks push on, the attacking intent comes from those 2 and front 3.

It’s how Liverpool play very rarely does the ball come through the middle, it’s either the 2 fullbacks or VVD lumping up from halfway line to front 3,

unfortunately Thomas and Timmy don’t have that explosive ball caring attacking make up, Justin and Ricardo are better suited, again Rodgers mentioned how important Ricardo was going to be to the style of play just after his latest injury which again suggests the style I mention 

People then say well it’s his fault for not getting replacements, yet they know full well we are not a club that can go out and splurge 200m or have a complete bench of starters sat waiting in the wings

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Guest said:

The fact that we play like that is almost certainly not by design though. I have no doubt that ideally he'd like us to be always playing slick exciting stuff and carving teams open. The problem imo is not that he deliberately coaches the players to do otherwise but that he is unable to get them to play the way he apparently wants them to. He's forever saying after games he wants us to be more aggressive with and without the ball, moving it quicker and being braver - ultimately it is his job to make those things happen.

Welcome to the wonders of the forum, and the platform to air differing opinions. 

Sorry bud, I don't agree. When he first joined we were playing a brand of free flowing football. We were more entertaining to watch, and achieved better results, as soon as he "imprinted" his turgid style upon the team after the first 18Mths or so we started the slippery decline..We have shown this season on very few occasions that the current squad can adopt the pressing counterattacking style, and when we do  we are far better to watch and our success on the pitch rises...I think he does primarily coach the team to fit into his BrendanBall ethos, but post match reverts to the protect "Brand Brendan" BS when things don't pan out..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FosseSpark said:

The age of tiki taka is over i think. Big teams are moving toward more powerful players and 2 or 3 matchwinners the team are built Around. Players like tielemans, soumare, mendy are not the future for midfield when youve got physically dominant, aggressive players like mcallister, bentancur, partey, zhaka, casemiro, rodri, guimaraes, joelinton playing and teams recruiting more as back up. 

We need to reshape quick or get left behind. 

Do agree with the gist of this. Rodgers' ideals are stuck in the early 10s. We've never really had the right players to carry it out either.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

Consistently yes, it’s very difficult I think, looking at outlier performances from anyone proves nothing, it’s the consistency to perform this way that is incredibly difficult.

14 hours ago, FosseSpark said:

The age of tiki taka is over i think. Big teams are moving toward more powerful players and 2 or 3 matchwinners the team are built Around. Players like tielemans, soumare, mendy are not the future for midfield when youve got physically dominant, aggressive players like mcallister, bentancur, partey, zhaka, casemiro, rodri, guimaraes, joelinton playing and teams recruiting more as back up. 

We need to reshape quick or get left behind. 

But there's always been players like that, it's not a new thing. 15/20 years ago the league had Vieira, Keane, Gerrard who were physically dominant yet the likes of Fabregas and other really good technical midfielders got on fine.

We also hear Rodgers saying we lack aggression every week. Why doesn't he do something about the slow tempo and lack of aggression then? Why doesn't he offer more encouragement, be more vocal on the touchline?

Sorry, no excuses for him. He's set everything his way.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Corky said:

We also hear Rodgers saying we lack aggression every week. Why doesn't he do something about the slow tempo and lack of aggression then? Why doesn't he offer more encouragement, be more vocal on the touchline?

Sorry, no excuses for him. He's set everything his way.

For balance, he doesn't say it 'every week'. I realise you're not being literal here, but in those matches we won whilst conceding 1 goal, the comments he made were somewhat different.

12 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

For balance, he doesn't say it 'every week'. I realise you're not being literal here, but in those matches we won whilst conceding 1 goal, the comments he made were somewhat different.

Yeah, what I meant was that he says it often enough for it to be a throwaway line in interviews rather than something that is focused on internally.

Hope his comments today on transfers is just a reiteration of why we need signings and not trying to apply the pressure and send a message to our board because he senses we might once again fail to bring players in.

I think I have PTTD pre traumatic transfer disorder.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Hope his comments today on transfers is just a reiteration of why we need signings and not trying to apply the pressure and send a message to our board because he senses we might once again fail to bring players in.

Sounds like he’s putting the board under pressure to me. I genuinely think we’ll get one player in and that’ll be on loan.

10 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

What did he say?

6 minutes ago, dnewty said:

Sounds like he’s putting the board under pressure to me. I genuinely think we’ll get one player in and that’ll be on loan.

Perhaps I've fallen for it again but surely he's had a number of meetings with the board in recent weeks which suggested we had money available for signings- hence Rodgers more positive comments on transfers in recent weeks. If this has suddenly changed once again then it's infuriating and rhe board need to give their head a wobble.

If this instead was Rodgers trying to be more hopeful or apply pressure from the start then I still think he'd have taken the same stance he did in the summer when he was moaning we needed players but it was out of his hands due to financial issues.

17 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

The question for me over Rodgers is to what extent he’s responsible for the issues with recruitment squad building - not in terms of selecting individual players but what he’s asking for in general terms of what he wants in the squad.

Our squad building in the last couple of years has been a shambles. The profiles of our players are all over the place. We can all see that the lack of a decent RW is an issue but it’s just the fact that we don’t really have, and haven’t had in Rodgers’ time here, players that can reliably interchange. 

E.g we’ve never had a player remotely matching Tielemans profile (we can’t carry another player like him on ability but we can have a similar type). 
Or e.g The obvious transfer that makes little sense on profile is Vestergaard

If, and I don’t know the answer, Rodgers is a part of that problem, he has to go. If not, then I do have faith in him if backed and we sort recruitment out. I know similar happened at Liverpool which suggests he might be part of the problem but it’s also a long-term problem at the club that predates Rodgers. 

well we know he overruled the scouts etc to insist we signed Bertrand and Vestergaard so that's a £15m transfer fee and several million more in wages wasted for a start

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Perhaps I've fallen for it again but surely he's had a number of meetings with the board in recent weeks which suggested we had money available for signings- hence Rodgers more positive comments on transfers in recent weeks. If this has suddenly changed once again then it's infuriating and rhe board need to give their head a wobble.

If this instead was Rodgers trying to be more hopeful or apply pressure from the start then I still think he'd have taken the same stance he did in the summer when he was moaning we needed players but it was out of his hands due to financial issues.

This is why every now and again it would be beneficial if someone from the board came out and did an in-depth interview about the goings on at the club. I feel some reassurance is needed regarding the clubs finances, the stadium expansion and other things. I don’t expect them to do this every five minutes but occasionally it’s needed.

Edited by dnewty
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

well we know he overruled the scouts etc to insist we signed Bertrand and Vestergaard so that's a £15m transfer fee and several million more in wages wasted for a start

Please forgive me asking, but do 'we' KNOW that, or is it just something that gets repeated ad nauseam until 'we' are forced to accept it to be true?

• Like 2

If there is money to spend, why tell the media about it, surely it would be better to keep stum, maybe it would stop the price becoming inflated. I can only assume all the leg work has already been done, and the club have just got to dot the I's and cross the T's, and we'll have 3 new players in the next week.

• Haha 1