Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

19 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

One that's not as good as the one we've currently got?

You think Rodgers is better than Emery? I know he was a joke figure at Arsenal but his record before and after is pretty phenomenal. Hope he bombs at Villa, mind you

8 minutes ago, FoxyLeon said:

Every reason you've given for Potter struggling at Chelsea is something completely out of Potter's hands.

It was obvious that Chelsea were going to struggle, the second they signed Sterling. That single signing alone proved Tuchel was completely overrated and clueless, he's nowhere near a top class player to lead a Club, Man City carried him and made him look way better than what he is. Less end product than Barnes.

He took the job knowing those challenges so he needs to adapt, looks he’s struggling currently. 

Just now, sacreblueits442 said:

...Rudkin has had his fair share of blame apportioned to him!!!

Rodgers very much shouting from the rooftops that no players comes into the club without his say so.

Wait, I am just drinking this in….

01F84987-97B9-471D-9E06-DA8F692C6A4D.gif.47ae5b8f1ce96084c880af5f41e9a254.gif

Guest Chocolate Teapot
3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

You think Rodgers is better than Emery? I know he was a joke figure at Arsenal but his record before and after is pretty phenomenal. Hope he bombs at Villa, mind you

His record isn't obviously better. Great knockout manager, average in the league.

10 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Yes we absolutely can, because it's not relevant now. If we finish in the bottom 3 they won't let us stay up because of the first halves of a couple of seasons 3 years ago.

What??? Forget everything great that we achieved recently. Talk about short-termism. 

All I’m saying is taking a balanced approach - not ignoring the big problems we have but at the same time  acknowledging we had some great times. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

His record isn't obviously better. Great knockout manager, average in the league.

Sorry, we agree on plenty but that's not quite fair. Got Almeria in to La Liga for the first time in their history, at Valencia he led them to x 3 top 3 finishes, at Sevilla they obviously won 3 Europa League titles on the spin but at the same time the league finishes weren't that bad either, 5th twice and 7th (ended that season prioritising the Europa League and playing academy players which cost them a few places - top 4 was out of reach).

PSG he won almost everything domestically as you'd expect, Arsenal I thought he was poor but Arteta took a few years to sort them domestically. 

Villareal are probably the only club the league form seemed to be somewhat surprising given what they did in the Europa League in 2020/21 and the UCL in 2021/22 finishing 7th both seasons. Not that disastrous but Villareal are usually a shoe in for top 6 so I accept that it was that good either. His win % ratio at Villareal is better than Rodgers at Leicester though.

• Like 3

Guest Chocolate Teapot

V

7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Sorry, we agree on plenty but that's not quite fair. Got Almeria in to La Liga for the first time in their history, at Valencia he led them to x 3 top 3 finishes, at Sevilla they obviously won 3 Europa League titles on the spin but at the same time the league finishes weren't that bad either, 5th twice and 7th (ended that season prioritising the Europa League and playing academy players which cost them a few places - top 4 was out of reach).

PSG he won almost everything domestically as you'd expect, Arsenal I thought he was poor but Arteta took a few years to sort them domestically. 

Villareal are probably the only club the league form seemed to be somewhat surprising given what they did in the Europa League in 2020/21 and the UCL in 2021/22 finishing 7th both seasons. Not that disastrous but Villareal are usually a shoe in for top 6 so I accept that it was that good either. His win % ratio at Villareal is better than Rodgers at Leicester though.

That's not a comparison though.

My point is he's not obviously better than him and in some cases you'd argue Rodgers is better because his record in this league is far better and he destroyed an emery team twice.

Edited by Chocolate Teapot

2 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...it has been post numerous times regarding him stating how involved in the process he is!!!

Could you share please? I have a very short memory, sorry!

edit: never mind, I will look tomorrow!

Edited by Dahnsouff

32 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Cba. Any argument you just write me off as defending Rodgers or thinking we’re better than what we are, when it’s simply not true. I want us to get a better manager and Frank is not a better manager. We should aim higher if we’re this big club that you think we are.

You clearly haven’t read what I put 😂 I’m suggesting Frank because we can’t get much better, we aren’t a big club, it’s you thinking we are by thinking we can attract Emery 😂

22 minutes ago, TMELcfc said:

You clearly haven’t read what I put 😂 I’m suggesting Frank because we can’t get much better, we aren’t a big club, it’s you thinking we are by thinking we can attract Emery 😂

I didn’t mean Emery specifically I meant someone in that category. We’ve won the FA Cup and Premier League within the last 7 years, if we can’t attract a good manager on the back of that then there is no hope.

People slate Rodgers for putting us down then do the exact same thing, we aren’t a small club lucky to be in the top flight. 

11 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I didn’t mean Emery specifically I meant someone in that category. We’ve won the FA Cup and Premier League within the last 7 years, if we can’t attract a good manager on the back of that then there is no hope.

People slate Rodgers for putting us down then do the exact same thing, we aren’t a small club lucky to be in the top flight. 

We aren’t a small club, but we don’t pack the financial clout others do… which is why we won’t get a ‘top’ manager, so hence why I suggest someone like Frank as he’d be up for it in my opinion, plus the cheaper end…

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

V

That's not a comparison though.

My point is he's not obviously better than him and in some cases you'd argue Rodgers is better because his record in this league is far better and he destroyed an emery team twice.

I normally respect your opinions but not on this. Your vitriol for anything Villa always rises above any logic in the points you are trying to make. Emery is a top class Manager IMO.

It's been obvious to me since the summer that Rodgers is at odds with some at the club and doesn't want to be here anymore, which is dragging the team down. Hopefully he keeps us up and we part company at the end of the season.

Will be the best thing for both parties.

• Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
10 minutes ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

I normally respect your opinions but not on this. Your vitriol for anything Villa always rises above any logic in the points you are trying to make. Emery is a top class Manager IMO.

It's been obvious to me since the summer that Rodgers is at odds with some at the club and doesn't want to be here anymore, which is dragging the team down. Hopefully he keeps us up and we part company at the end of the season.

Will be the best thing for both parties.

So is Rodgers. Nothing to do with villa at all.

I’ve reading a bit in this topic, differing opinions on Rodgers and comparison to other coaches. 

For me, Rodgers has never been consistent enough. Looking at his history with every club, he tends to have extremes. his teams are either outstanding, or crap…. And there tends to be no middle ground with him. He is a very erratic manager in terms of his form.

I think this is mainly down to his complete lack of tactical flexibility. It seems to be a ‘my way or the highway’ approach from him, regardless of form. He seems to not want to change things and try and force his way out of poor spells by just blindly continuing with his philosophy. Most of the time, eventually his teams will come into form again, but in all of these bad runs, just look at how many times he could have picked up a result and didn’t due to real incompetence from a tactical perspective. 

What is the anomaly with Brendan is he has won trophies, which I think covers up his inadequacies as a manager, and can give off the impression that he is better than he actually is. 

He is a really odd manager, his stats aren’t really scripted like a lot of managers, he has flurries of success followed by completely incompetent spells. it’s like he has a split personality and can be two separate managers rolled into one.

No matter how this season ends I think it will be his last with us. He will either leave to another club or get sacked in the summer break. 

Edited by Pliskin
  • Like 1

2,000 pages and he's still our manager.

Could be worse.  

Could be better.   But I've no idea who we would bring in.

Based on length of service, I think O'Neil was slightly better.  Bloomfield not quite as good.  Pearson was good; he never won a major trophy.  Ranieri won the premier league with a squad he was given.  I liked Wallace.  

Rodgers has weaknesses.  He was dealt a poor hand in  the summer. He may well have done his time with us.  He is one of two managers who has won one of the big two domestic trophies.

Our squad could go either way.  The right signings, he will be a genius.  Poor recruitment,  he will be our ex---manager who won the FA Cup.

I think he's done enough here that other fans and clubs will view him as a success but we'll have to pick up the pieces; namely a squad that needs an almost complete overhaul and uncertainty about our future.

The fact is, bottling top 4 first time is understandable - some people aren't up to the pressure (despite winning the league but whatever) but to do it again is on Brendan and suggests that he does not have the mentality to see something through or learn from mistakes. 

A more sensible, pragmatic, manager would have either identified some weak mindset in the squad and coached/ replaced them after the first failure. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Hes been in charge of a side that's signed one player in over 18 months when he's consistently said it needs improving. Doesn't sound that powerful to me. Meanwhile the dof who signs all the transfers and heads up the whole football operation gets zero stick.

You forgot about Smithers!

Rodgers is a good coach. But for me I want a manager who builds a team and I can see constant progress. I know it’s not all down to him but where is the progress? What is the long term plan.

A prime example of this is the Puel team last game in charge when we lost 4-1 to Palace, the team is below:

Kasper

Ricardo

Evans 

Maguire

Fuchs

Tielemens

Ndidi

Maddison

Ghezzal

Barnes

Vardy

Apart from Ghezzel name one position that has been improved by Rodgers in these 4 years? 

The fact is his recruitment / recruitment team is shocking and it’s a major shortcoming of his always has been. Add to the fact he doesn’t seem to have the power to get players to sign new contracts I worry for the long term future of the club while he is here 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dylanlegend said:

Rodgers is a good coach. But for me I want a manager who builds a team and I can see constant progress. I know it’s not all down to him but where is the progress? What is the long term plan.

A prime example of this is the Puel team last game in charge when we lost 4-1 to Palace, the team is below:

Kasper

Ricardo

Evans 

Maguire

Fuchs

Tielemens

Ndidi

Maddison

Ghezzal

Barnes

Vardy

Apart from Ghezzel name one position that has been improved by Rodgers in these 4 years? 

The fact is his recruitment / recruitment team is shocking and it’s a major shortcoming of his always has been. Add to the fact he doesn’t seem to have the power to get players to sign new contracts I worry for the long term future of the club while he is here 

I agree with all that but always struggle with the first statement 'Rodgers is a good coach'. It's almost as if because the media ram it down our throats, we have to take it as read and believe it?

What is it that makes him a good coach?

6 hours ago, dylanlegend said:

Kasper

Ricardo

Evans 

Maguire

Fuchs

Tielemens

Ndidi

Maddison

Ghezzal

Barnes

Vardy

I want a manager who isnt just in it for himself and deflects any blame by rubbishing others... fans, players or club.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
9 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

I think he's done enough here that other fans and clubs will view him as a success but we'll have to pick up the pieces; namely a squad that needs an almost complete overhaul and uncertainty about our future.

Which is entirely the responsibility of the bloke who signs the players and agrees contracts.....which isn't Rodgers.