Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

Rodgers is bigger failure is not finding an alternative to Vardy. That position up front has just been ignored transfer windows past, Iheanacho has gone back to being average again.  Daka I'm not sure if he's cut out at this level. You do wonder in the past if we should have tried harder in the past going for the likes of Wilson or Ings. 

Edited by Leicesterpool

10 hours ago, Pliskin said:

I’ve reading a bit in this topic, differing opinions on Rodgers and comparison to other coaches. 

For me, Rodgers has never been consistent enough. Looking at his history with every club, he tends to have extremes. his teams are either outstanding, or crap…. And there tends to be no middle ground with him. He is a very erratic manager in terms of his form.

I think this is mainly down to his complete lack of tactical flexibility. It seems to be a ‘my way or the highway’ approach from him, regardless of form. He seems to not want to change things and try and force his way out of poor spells by just blindly continuing with his philosophy. Most of the time, eventually his teams will come into form again, but in all of these bad runs, just look at how many times he could have picked up a result and didn’t due to real incompetence from a tactical perspective. 

What is the anomaly with Brendan is he has won trophies, which I think covers up his inadequacies as a manager, and can give off the impression that he is better than he actually is. 

He is a really odd manager, his stats aren’t really scripted like a lot of managers, he has flurries of success followed by completely incompetent spells. it’s like he has a split personality and can be two separate managers rolled into one.

No matter how this season ends I think it will be his last with us. He will either leave to another club or get sacked in the summer break. 

Manager wins trophies but still not a good manager? Weirdest explanation I've ever seen. A manager is there to win a club trophies.

• Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
7 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Manager wins trophies but still not a good manager? Weirdest explanation I've ever seen. A manager is there to win a club trophies.

Some of the revisionisms on here is mind boggling. When Brendan has been backed here he hasn't finished outside the top 8. That's a phenomenal achievement and if Emery achieves that at villa it'd be deemed an overwhelming success (despite the fact that villa have plundered millions into their team) but it's still not enough for some.

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

Did I say he wasn’t a good manager? I said he is odd, as in he has major issues with consistency, but still wins trophies. I didn’t say he wasn’t a good manager……

Huge game for Rodgers and his future at LCFC tonight.

Virtually all the teams below us playing each other, if we lose we will drop 2/3 league positions. Zero points from 9 post World Cup and relegation looking a big risk. Even he must feel his time is coming to an end. 

Win and we look comfortable in mid table.

Nailed on bore draw, and the club can continue to sleep walk. 

15 hours ago, lcfc_forever said:

Er, we beat them 1-0 last season with a very disciplined performance. 

We had a very good record of maintaining leads under Rodgers for the first full two seasons. Our game management was pretty decent. 

It started going wrong last season, with the defensive set up and set piece uncertainty. 

That's on BR to sort. I'm frustrated with how soft we've become but we can't ignore how good we were. 

Did you read the whole post?

2 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Some of the revisionisms on here is mind boggling. When Brendan has been backed here he hasn't finished outside the top 8. That's a phenomenal achievement and if Emery achieves that at villa it'd be deemed an overwhelming success (despite the fact that villa have plundered millions into their team) but it's still not enough for some.

He’s been backed every season though and he’s paid more than enough to find creative solutions to squad problems. I’m not having that he hasn’t been backed this season. Yes, we only really made one signing but why? Because of all the tosh he’s previously signed that (1.) can’t get a game, and (2.) aren’t attracting any attention from other clubs. He’s said himself that no one ends up here who he doesn’t want, Bertrand alone is ~£70k a week that we will never see any return on. Answers on a postcard. His mismanagement of other players like Ndidi or Soyuncu only continues to devalue their worth and the sum of our playing personnel. 

Secondly, you could also argue that finishing 8th flattered us last season and when you couple it with being knocked out in the Europa group and hammered by Forest as FA cup holders, that it looks even less impressive. I admit that he’s done well to pick up a run of form just when he’s needed it to make things look semi-respectable but he’s set us on a massive downwards trajectory. The majority of his signings have been pretty crap and other players have stagnated or regressed under him. We will have a massive turnover of players within the next year or two and we will be in big trouble if we don’t get it right.

2 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

That's a phenomenal achievement and if Emery achieves that at villa it'd be deemed an overwhelming success (despite the fact that villa have plundered millions into their team)

Emery has Villa on the up whereas Rodgers has us going backwards. Villa living rent free inside @Chocolate Teapot's head. lol

Rodgers needs to stop the pathetic drivel he talks to the media in his press conferences. He should focus on getting some results and finishing above at least 3 other teams this season (of which Villa are not likeky to be one of them). 

Guest Chocolate Teapot
19 minutes ago, oadby.fox said:

He’s been backed every season though and he’s paid more than enough to find creative solutions to squad problems. I’m not having that he hasn’t been backed this season. Yes, we only really made one signing but why? Because of all the tosh he’s previously signed that (1.) can’t get a game, and (2.) aren’t attracting any attention from other clubs. He’s said himself that no one ends up here who he doesn’t want, Bertrand alone is ~£70k a week that we will never see any return on. Answers on a postcard. His mismanagement of other players like Ndidi or Soyuncu only continues to devalue their worth and the sum of our playing personnel. 

Secondly, you could also argue that finishing 8th flattered us last season and when you couple it with being knocked out in the Europa group and hammered by Forest as FA cup holders, that it looks even less impressive. I admit that he’s done well to pick up a run of form just when he’s needed it to make things look semi-respectable but he’s set us on a massive downwards trajectory. The majority of his signings have been pretty crap and other players have stagnated or regressed under him. We will have a massive turnover of players within the next year or two and we will be in big trouble if we don’t get it right.

We signed vestergaard and Bertrand because the better options wanted more money and we didn't want to pay it.

We couldn't afford tarkowski who was the preffered option for example. Hardly Rodgers fault but I realise we must blame him for everything rather than analysing where the issues may stem from.

Edited by Chocolate Teapot

“We need to stick with Rodgers, there’s nobody better available”.

Baggies fans hadn’t considered Carlos Corberan prior to his appointment. They were bottom of the league when he took over. His record since then:

3C5C2C89-2B11-4199-A384-B1AAA9F72D20.jpeg

19 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Could Rodgers do better, of course.

But the simple fact is we have spent 15m in 18 months, which hasn't helped.

How did the £67m spend without losing any significant players go the last season?

He and his team, advisors, staff have had a part to play £200m+ and little to none have improved the starting 11, heck most arguably haven’t even strengthen the squad, that probably has something to do with the tightening of purse strings.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

One that's not as good as the one we've currently got?

Arteta is top of the league and Emery has reached 5 Europa League finals, winning 4 of them. Both better than Rodgers.

• Like 3

I could see him moving to West Ham when they get rid of Moyes. He'd probably do incredibly well for 2/3 seasons too.

I don't think it's all doom and gloom here with Rodgers in charge but we are definitely not going upwards again without a fresh set of ideas from a new head coach.

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

How did the £67m spend without losing any significant players go the last season?

He and his team, advisors, staff have had a part to play £200m+ and little to none have improved the starting 11, heck most arguably haven’t even strengthen the squad, that probably has something to do with the tightening of purse strings.

Didn’t we lose Fofana last season? Or is that classed as this I guess?

26 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

We signed vestergaard and Bertrand because the better options wanted more money and we didn't want to pay it.

We couldn't afford tarkowski who was the preffered option for example. Hardly Rodgers fault but I realise we must blame him for everything rather than analysing where the issues may stem from.

It’s not about absolving anyone else at the club of any blame whatsoever, it is understood that others will contribute to recruitment. It’s always the case that we will be limited by what we are able to spend but he’s still gone out and identified these players as ones which he wants in the team and his record at other clubs doesn’t do much to redress concerns about recruitment. I would get it if they were deadwood from a previous manager’s tenure but they aren’t and it’s alarming just how many of his signings fall into this category whilst he continues to point the finger at others. My point was that he has, by and large, been backed in his time here and is also paid a handsome wage. Anything suggested to the contrary is just excusing underperformance, either with regards to management or transfer policy.

It isn’t just Veste and Bertrand in this respect, Perez at £30m, Soumare/Daka/Praet at ~£20m. The money has been there for him to build a squad and he’s failed spectacularly. That’s six first team players I’ve just mentioned - none of which have made any significant impact and may move on for next to nothing. Now our top assets which we didn’t sell (to support his project) will walk away for nothing and we will be left with a bunch of players on high wages which neither we or anyone else seems to want. Sure, he doesn’t draw up the contracts himself but he’s had a hand in building this squad. It’s in his own image now. More than that, other players have gone backwards under him. Hyperbole on either side can be frustrating, I get it, but at some point you have to look at the mistakes made by the manager. I would also add that relinquishing the champions league and not advancing in the Europa would’ve also adversely affected our ability to make improvements.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

It's just boring now. Same people coming out with same shite, there's no middle ground anymore.

Amazing stuff I read consdering this is Rodgers' first poor season with us.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Pliskin said:

Did I say he wasn’t a good manager? I said he is odd, as in he has major issues with consistency, but still wins trophies. I didn’t say he wasn’t a good manager……

No but you said "he has won trophies, which I think covers up his inadequacies as a manager".

If winning trophies is covering up a managers inability then fvck me I'll take that manager every season. There is nothing greater in football than winning trophies. Or shall we have a "good" manager that wins fvck all?

• Like 1