Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

4 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

It's just boring now. Same people coming out with same shite, there's no middle ground anymore.

Amazing stuff I read consdering this is Rodgers' first poor season with us.

Last season was poor.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, TJQuik said:

Last season was poor.

It was hit and miss but we still finished 8th. I was referring to league finishes and I don't think Rodgers has finished below 9th with us. The European tour and defence of FA Cup was the worst thing of last season.

• Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
37 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

It's just boring now. Same people coming out with same shite, there's no middle ground anymore.

Amazing stuff I read consdering this is Rodgers' first poor season with us.

Yep and you just get accused of being a fan boy if you suggest it may be a little more complex than they're making out. I'm done with it now, expect they'll be out in force should we not win tonight.

Edited by Chocolate Teapot

25 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Yep and you just get accused of being a fan boy if you suggest it may be a little more complex than they're making out. I'm done with it now, expect they'll be out in force should we not win tonight.

Yes people have let their expectations run wild thinking we should be able to beat a newly-promoted side at home.

• Haha 1

Rodgers has always had a reputation for being unable to rebuild teams / be astute in the transfer market. All of his success is often from the off with squads he inherits and it proves he is a very good coach. Its off the field where I believe his real weaknesses are found and over time worsen.

However, although he is to take a chunk of the blame for the decline in our squad (due to poor recruitment), the issues he is now faced with on our inability to sign players isn't all down to him. He's contributed (massively influential in obtaining the power to get Congerton here) but Rudkin has dished out these obscene contracts to some very average or poor players and I've seen precious little learning from this, it's infuriating.

Our chronic injury issues are also exacerbating all of this and once again the current regime have to take some responsibility for this, the club clearly have acknowledged this by quickly getting rid of Rodgers men who were heading this up but the problems remain and although you could argue they muddy the waters somewhat, it's simply unthinkable that this is just down to bad luck. One of Rodgers other criticisms at previous clubs is the injury record at Liverpool and Celtic, some will be nature of the beast playing 50+ games a season but we have many examples of idiotic management of players who needed to be treated kore carefully.

What I will say though is, this is no longer an argument about whether Rodgers is any good or not, his results here prove for a while he's been one of our best managers but that's now not a fit for purpose measure of right now and the future. There's been far more successful managers run their course at clubs and it happens, Rodgers has never stayed at a club longer than he has with us and has no track record that he ought to be the man to lead us, most certainly not on £10m a year. That is not a salary fit for a manager in our predicament, now that's not his fault, that's once again at the remit of Rudkin and the board but it does pose the question at what point he no longer meets the requirements for what he was paid that amount for.

I think he'll go this summer and if we haven't been relegated then it will be him making the decision, his reputation will be as bulletproof as ever if he makes the decision as well. The media will lap it up.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Yes people have let their expectations run wild thinking we should be able to beat a newly-promoted side at home.

So every promoted side is naturally fodder and'/or being incapable of going on good runs?

It is so fashionable to be negative it makes me proud to wear my bell bottom flares

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

So every promoted side is naturally fodder and'/or being incapable of going on good runs?

It is so fashionable to be negative it makes me proud to wear my bell bottom flares

No, but thinking we should win is a reasonable expectation of the best-paid and well-resourced manager in our history.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Given we have zero points against the big 6, 1 point against the top 10 this season and have only beaten teams in the bottom 6-7 for the majority of an entire calendar year, we better start having some targets on results otherwise the standards set will happily welcome the impending relegation.

I see absolutely no rationale that we would ever consider not beating newly promoted sides at home. If we fail to win tonight, I want BODIES.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Given we have zero points against the big 6, 1 point against the top 10 this season and have only beaten teams in the bottom 6-7 for the majority of an entire calendar year, we better start having some targets on results otherwise the standards set will happily welcome the impending relegation.

I see absolutely no rationale that we would ever consider not beating newly promoted sides at home. If we fail to win tonight, I want BODIES.

I am not suggesting that we shouldn't win, but our form sucks after the WC, theirs is also not great but they are in a significantly better place than we are

That and the fact we have spent the last 2 season digging a great big hole for ourselves, yes coupled with external problems, leaves us looking vulnerable and mentally fragile

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

It was hit and miss but we still finished 8th. I was referring to league finishes and I don't think Rodgers has finished below 9th with us. The European tour and defence of FA Cup was the worst thing of last season.

Had the Premier League not been so mediocre in quality from 6th-7th downwards these days then finishing 8th as we did last season would have been highly respectable - like when we used to finish there or thereabouts regularly under M.O'Neill when the Premier League was more evenly matched. However the truth of the matter was we were just poor last season in the main compared to the previous two "bottling 4th place" seasons with the FA Cup triumph thrown in under Rodgers.....and only rose to 8th in very belated fashion by beating two already relegated teams and then beating one with nothing to play for on the final day, while eeking a draw at Chelsea in between being the only slight eye opener of a result!  

Given the likes of Schmeichel's somewhat unexpected close season departure, the sale of Fofana at the start of it, Soyuncu's on going/mysterious absence from the current team, certain players becoming stale here and with certain performances to back that up (Tielemans of late for one) -  injuries still on going to the likes of Pereira and James Justin (again!), plus with no marquee signings made over the summer of course, etc, etc ..... then I suppose we're about where most expected us to be at present, in 13th.....and if we finish there and don't fall into the relegation trap then I suppose most will view that as a generally satisfactory season, all things considered. What will then happen to Rodgers thereafter though, I don't know - he who was brought in to make us and keep us as a top six force beyond just the two seasons that he has done so far! Obviously influences like Covid have affected our spending power more than most so I dare say these are also factors to weigh up in the grander scheme of things too. However £10million per season re Rodgers' salary is by no means sustainable in the current climate.......... 

Edited by Guy

53 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

No, but thinking we should win is a reasonable expectation of the best-paid and well-resourced manager in our history.

This is what I mean. It's all good expecting us to beat Fulham at home, I think we should although they are obviously better than us (hence higher in the league table) so shouldn't be treated like a "newly promoted side", but what does Rodgers' contract have to do with it? It's not his fault he is well paid, it's the fault of the club. He's not gonna turn round and ask for less money is he. I think our players are underperforming but I don't call them for being the best paid players in our history. We are now at a time when players and staff are bound to be paid well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

This is what I mean. It's all good expecting us to beat Fulham at home, I think we should although they are obviously better than us (hence higher in the league table) so shouldn't be treated like a "newly promoted side", but what does Rodgers' contract have to do with it? It's not his fault he is well paid, it's the fault of the club. He's not gonna turn round and ask for less money is he. I think our players are underperforming but I don't call them for being the best paid players in our history. We are now at a time when players and staff are bound to be paid well.

They are a side that was promoted last season, hence they are a newly-promoted side. You are trying to change the definition of words in an attempt to absolve Brendan Rodgers of criticism, whilst calling out others for supposedly being the ridiculous ones.

What does Rodgers' contract and the resources at his disposal have to do with our expectations of his performance? Are you serious?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jimmy said:

is it really that astonishing when they let Rogers completely change the medical set up? He inherited one of the best injury records in the league why he felt the need to change it is beyond me

IMG_1258.JPG

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

They are a side that was promoted last season, hence they are a newly-promoted side. You are trying to change the definition of words in an attempt to absolve Brendan Rodgers of criticism, whilst calling out others for supposedly being the ridiculous ones.

What does Rodgers' contract and the resources at his disposal have to do with our expectations of his performance? Are you serious?

Of course they're newly promoted but my point was they're having such a good season we shouldn't treat them like one, it's gonna be a tough game. Also I criticise Rodgers a lot, here and other threads, and this is my point when I do also back him up I get labelled as somesort of Rodgers fan which isn't true. I criticise him when he needs it and praise him when he deserves it.

I never mentioned resources at his disposal either. I mentioned contract and yeah why does his wage matter? Our players are inconsistent, players like Barnes, but I don't bring their wage into it. If anybody gets paid silly money then it's not their fault, it's the clubs for offering it them.

• Like 3

We should be aiming to beat Fulham at home regardless of how well they are doing. We should at least have some expectations. 

A loss tonight would rightly up the pressure on the manager, he's paid a lot of money. 

2 hours ago, ealingfox said:

I suspect that most other teams' managers are the best-paid and well-resourced in their respective histories too, which slightly unseats your argument. 

21 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I suspect that most other teams' managers are the best-paid and well-resourced in their respective histories too, which slightly unseats your argument. 

I can't recall another time where we would have the 7th highest wage budget and one of the highest paid managers in the top tier .

Can many teams outside the top six say that in their history ?

• Like 1

I have been looking at Rashford in recent weeks and seeing how Ten Haag has revived his career by helping him improve his decision making. We have a very similar player in Harvey Barnes who excels when there is space in front of him but has poor decision making when against a tight defence and linkup play is required. Why are the struggles of Barnes under Rodger's coaching reminiscent of Rashford when he was coached by an amateur in Solskjaer? Why are we not seeing continual improvement in Barnes's understanding of game like Rashford has been seeing in recent months and like many players saw under Ten Haag at Ajax?

I think most fans, even the ones who are adamant defenders of Rodgers, know on some deeper level that players do not improve under him. Kiernan Dewsbury Hall for instance is playing significantly worse than last year when he was fresh from Luton. Castagne had far better off the ball movement, linkup and positioning when he came here from Atalanta. Ndidi is another player who over the last year has looked confused as to what his role in the side is compared to when Rodgers first joined and he played a simple game. Daka is another player who needs quality coaching to improve his in game decision making, something he has clearly not gotten from Rodgers over the last year and a half.

Only Maddison has improved out of all our players. I will say that it took Championship level form at the start of last season to see that improvement and he had been continually getting worse before that.

There has been a level of incompetence behind the handling of this team over the past few years that many on here refuse to see. How can Rodgers be an elite manager when our players lack the mentality to bounce back from a defeat, lack the match intelligence to manage a lead, lack the movement and decision making to play well against the well coached sides of the league? Surely all these factors lie at the feet of Rodgers yet people still hold onto this mental image of him being a top class manager.

Edited by honeybradger
  • Like 4

47 minutes ago, los dedos said:

I can't recall another time where we would have the 7th highest wage budget and one of the highest paid managers in the top tier .

Can many teams outside the top six say that in their history ?

Well we haven't alway had the 7th highest so someone else must have at some point. 

Edited by coolhandfox