Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

I honestly think that a good lot of our fans couldn’t give a monkeys if Rodgers stays or goes. This is borne out of two things:

Firstly, families taking their kids often take them ‘to the football’. Then it ends. They won’t talk about it like we do. I work with plenty of people who are like this. It’s a day out. It could be anywhere really.

Secondly, borne out of having loyalty to the team and the manager. Such that it’s seen as ‘wrong’ to criticise or to talk about the manager and the team in a negative light.

I think FT represents two main things:

a. People who want to talk about football and who get passionate about it.

b. It helps to cure boredom.

Finally, I think it’s probably quite cliquey. The same ‘faces’ will back up each other’s arguments on a fairly consistent basis. Like kids in a playground.

Yeah I completely agree with this, makes it hard to gauge where we really stand as a fanbase. 
I agree on the last line, I think it was you I agreed with on Lee Cattermole back in the day and I thought i'd joined WW3 lol

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...it makes you wonder if going to watch your club has become a ritual as opposed to something that we as supporters need to prove to others!!!

The long awaited F A cup has for some fulfilled there longing and winning the league leaves no more windmills to tilt at.

Is it that there is an understanding that a top 4 finish is unattainable and we watch in hope, with the possibility that the law of averages could afford us one season where it all comes right.

Why is the temperament so different at the stadium compared to FT. Just like the singing in the stadium,  it is hard to gain traction from people who are not like minded.

We certainly are not an entitled group of supporters,  just a content bunch, the them versus us, which was very much prevalent under O'Neill is gone, Sancho Panza it seems, has ran off with Rosinata and Dulcinea and the Don is still asking where did it go wrong.

I think Col answered your questions in response to my post pretty well, and I agree I don't think we are entitled, but I think we've also been quite spoiled with the club being run like a well oiled engine for over a decade, winning the league and FA Cup, to see us seemingly going backwards now, with our former best players either being played against their strengths (Vardy) or have simply been turned from world beaters to Sol Bamba tribute acts (Ndidi) it has almost been a bit of a Shock that we look to be declining at such a rapid rate?

When on form, we have a squad capable of finishing in the top half, but honestly looking at our starting 11 vs Fulham, there was maybe 3 players I could say I had confidence in to play well, that's scary. 18 months - 2 years ago, I'd the putting Soyuncu, Evans, Castagne, Ndidi, Tielemans, Vardy and Barnes into pretty much any of the teams below say 6th in the division, the way we are playing as a squad right now, Tielemans is one of the only ones I'd say could walk into those squads, and even he had a very long period of poor form. It's not just that players have aged or become injured, I think every player in the squad has regressed 20% minimum and we have no togetherness. 
Years ago we were so proud of the fact we were a low budget team of hard grafters, fighting the big boys. Now we are spending a fortune on wages/transfer fees yet we look worse at times.

I've rambled on here but you get the idea, I've got to the point where I feel like the biggest signing we could make would be a new manager, if the players we have in our squad can improve even 10% each it would be bigger than any single signing we could make IMO. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

I think Col answered your questions in response to my post pretty well, and I agree I don't think we are entitled, but I think we've also been quite spoiled with the club being run like a well oiled engine for over a decade, winning the league and FA Cup, to see us seemingly going backwards now, with our former best players either being played against their strengths (Vardy) or have simply been turned from world beaters to Sol Bamba tribute acts (Ndidi) it has almost been a bit of a Shock that we look to be declining at such a rapid rate?

When on form, we have a squad capable of finishing in the top half, but honestly looking at our starting 11 vs Fulham, there was maybe 3 players I could say I had confidence in to play well, that's scary. 18 months - 2 years ago, I'd the putting Soyuncu, Evans, Castagne, Ndidi, Tielemans, Vardy and Barnes into pretty much any of the teams below say 6th in the division, the way we are playing as a squad right now, Tielemans is one of the only ones I'd say could walk into those squads, and even he had a very long period of poor form. It's not just that players have aged or become injured, I think every player in the squad has regressed 20% minimum and we have no togetherness. 
Years ago we were so proud of the fact we were a low budget team of hard grafters, fighting the big boys. Now we are spending a fortune on wages/transfer fees yet we look worse at times.

I've rambled on here but you get the idea, I've got to the point where I feel like the biggest signing we could make would be a new manager, if the players we have in our squad can improve even 10% each it would be bigger than any single signing we could make IMO. 

Spot on, it's all just a bit stale, everyone going through the motions minus 20% and I include Brendan in that.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Vazman said:

Spot on, it's all just a bit stale, everyone going through the motions minus 20% and I include Brendan in that.

And this is the thing, I think a new manager could solve a lot of our short term issues just from being a new manager, Rodgers did that when he took over from Puel, we went from backward horrible football to suddenly fighting for the top 4 without huge signings. The key is, can that manager take advantage of the early form bounce, but most importantly root out the deadwood and build for the future for when that bounce inevitably ends and we have to rely on quality. 
Rodgers did the first bit, but he failed dramatically at routing out the deadwood, in fact he's made it considerably worse. 
Puel on the other hand did an amazing job of rooting out the deadwood and most of his signings were very good, he just couldn't get it together on the pitch.
Brendan Rodgers has unfortunately increased the deadwood, turned some of our better players into deadwood, and is now failing on the pitch, a treble whammy. 

The question is do we take a gamble on a young hungry manager like Ruben Amorim, or do we need short term stability for a season or two with someone boring like Dyche? 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

And this is the thing, I think a new manager could solve a lot of our short term issues just from being a new manager, Rodgers did that when he took over from Puel, we went from backward horrible football to suddenly fighting for the top 4 without huge signings. The key is, can that manager take advantage of the early form bounce, but most importantly root out the deadwood and build for the future for when that bounce inevitably ends and we have to rely on quality. 
Rodgers did the first bit, but he failed dramatically at routing out the deadwood, in fact he's made it considerably worse. 
Puel on the other hand did an amazing job of rooting out the deadwood and most of his signings were very good, he just couldn't get it together on the pitch.
Brendan Rodgers has unfortunately increased the deadwood, turned some of our better players into deadwood, and is now failing on the pitch, a treble whammy. 

The question is do we take a gamble on a young hungry manager like Ruben Amorim, or do we need short term stability for a season or two with someone boring like Dyche? 

You just carry on cheering other teams on to hammer us.

I'm pretty sure we will go down but BR won't care one bit. It's so obvious that he doesn't want to be here & what has happened does not fit into his plans at all. He'll leave at the end of the season & because he is full of bullshit & the media love him, he'll get another decent job. In the meantime our club will be in turmoil & we will have a firesale of what decent players we have. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Angus Scott said:

I'm pretty sure we will go down but BR won't care one bit. It's so obvious that he doesn't want to be here & what has happened does not fit into his plans at all. He'll leave at the end of the season & because he is full of bullshit & the media love him, he'll get another decent job. In the meantime our club will be in turmoil & we will have a firesale of what decent players we have. 

Compare that to Conte who motivates the club and players to produce the goods or he's off!

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan
1 hour ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Yeah I completely agree with this, makes it hard to gauge where we really stand as a fanbase. 
I agree on the last line, I think it was you I agreed with on Lee Cattermole back in the day and I thought i'd joined WW3 lol

As I remember, the Cattermole stuff was at the start of the 2015 season! Nearly 8 years ago! 😂

And I swear that it started with me making a comment: ‘I think we need a player in the central midfield LIKE Cattermole’.. (his was the first name that came to mind).. ie a midfield general type player. And of course it all then exploded!!

Its still brought up now!

😂

Guest Col city fan
1 hour ago, cityfanlee23 said:

I posted literally straight before kick off that I’d looked at the team sheets and thought that Fulhams looked better than ours.

They’ve done the opposite to us (and done what we USED to do).. they’ve bought really well.

Our scouting system under Pearson, as we all know, rarely dropped a clanger. There were some but he’d either make them perform, or they’d be quickly binned.

Our signings under Rodgers, I think, have been mainly very very hit or miss. And we are suffering now as a result. This started with Ranieri.

Once we’d won the league, we had both the kudos and the money to establish ourselves as a team that kicked on for the next decade or so. To now watch some of the garbage we have playing is really soul destroying. We could have gotten it so right and secured the future of the club.

53 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

As I remember, the Cattermole stuff was at the start of the 2015 season! Nearly 8 years ago! 😂

And I swear that it started with me making a comment: ‘I think we need a player in the central midfield LIKE Cattermole’.. (his was the first name that came to mind).. ie a midfield general type player. And of course it all then exploded!!

Its still brought up now!

😂

And this man

download (2).jpeg

12 hours ago, Ricey said:

The club is in desperate need of a refresh, a new era.

Last night was my first match since the World Cup and I just felt so flat. It looks like everyone has given up.

Nothing will change whilst Rodgers is still here, he is too stubborn and single-minded for that. I think we'll stay up, but we aren't going to meet our expectations until we snap ourselves out of this rut that we are currently in.

I don't think we can heap all the blame on Rodgers. The squad has not had a meaningful signing for the last two windows. Faes was just a like for like replacement for Fofana. Everything is stale around the club, there doesn't seem any purpose or direction. The problem is, 19 teams in the PL have worked out how our forwards play; Barnes always cuts inside on the 18 yard line, Vardy will try to beat you for pace but doesn't have it anymore, Daka is fast but lacks composure, Nacho doesn't get a look in; that they have us totally worked out. Without Maddison, the midfield lacks penetration, and Ndidi's form has fallen off the charts without meaningful competition. Soumare is a flop they are trying to hide, and both of our first choice fullbacks are out with long term injuries they may not recover from.

The Liverpool and Fulham games, I couldn't say there was anything wrong with the way we setup. We just lost to fine margins. We had plenty of attacks, we got the ball forward, we were aggressive. It's just that the squad is flat and needs some new energy. Opposition teams have us worked out, and Rodgers doesn't really have any options on the bench to make effective changes.

There have been some proper dude signings recently, but it's not Rodgers that approves them, they are signed by the Director of Football after analysis by the scouting team. Rodgers wasn't on a holiday in France and saw this lad 'Wout Faes' and thought 'lets sign him'. Similarly, the signing of Vestergaard was a panicked reaction to the Fofana injury so close to the start of the season, he was the only 'Premier League level defender' available with days to the start of the season.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, splinterdream said:

I believe Puel had put in the groundwork 

Considering the opinion people had of him, that sounds like such a weird thing to say. Hindsight and all that but, yes, it seems clearer now both what he was doing and how he was doing it.  Shame about the football.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, splinterdream said:

Well you’d either back your manager and realise it’s true when he says he doesn’t have the tools for the job, or you disagree with the manager and sack him, or you agree with the manager, but don’t have the money for new players or to sack him, so I think you,Ishtar be right.

There's the idea that they don't trust him in the transfer market.

Or he's saying we don't have money so other clubs don't try to rinse us.

Or our wage bill is so high we've severely hurt ourselves.

Or the rumour about Vichai's estate is true.

Or a happy mixture of a couple of the above and more.

• Like 1

Now that Kolo has moved on to Wigan, this must have a fairly reasonable reduction in the amount it would cost to sack Rodgers and his remaining entourage, I really now only see Rodgers, Chris Davies and Glen Driscoll as being the ones to leave as the likes of Lars Knudsen, Paul Weir, Mike Sitwell and Matt Reeves are either been here longer term or have been recent appointments by the club rather than Rodgers directly. Therefore surely our most effective action would be too sack the 3 of them rather than sign more players for them to break. 

If Top genuinely doesn’t want to sack Rodgers but would rather he walked then one course of action would be to sack Driscoll, as part of an internal investigation into the number of soft tissue injuries we are getting, he is one of Rodgers right hand men and the 1st team fitness coach, reckon it would be small beer in terms of compensation, would further reduce Rodgers control and if the club don’t have the balls to sack Brendan, then this would further undermine him with the hope he would walk away. 

I think we will make hard work of the Gillingham match with a load of kids and senior pros that don't want to be here anymore. I think Newcastle will beat us and then off to Forest where we have won once in the league in 50 odd years. Doesn't look good for him.

Personally I would move him on this month if we fail to beat Forest regardless of the cup results. 

Would rather spend the Fofana money on his severance/new gaffer and just get a couple of loanees in to boost the squad if possible. Need to shift a couple on to do that of course.