Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

26 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Or it’s the number of players available? We have something like 15 first team players available to chose from. It’s not about who he can trust, it’s who’s actually fit and available.

..for Gillingham he had Braybrooke sitting on the bench who was fit and available!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oxtonfox said:

Our squad value under Rodgers has depreciated like a 1980s Alfa Romeo. 

He’s made a series of very good players so much worse now like Ndidi and Soyuncu. He’s presided over a medical team dealing with at least ten medium or long term injuries every year in the past 3 seasons, many picked up in training. The only player left of significant value now is Maddison who ironically is injured after Rodgers played him at West Ham when he had an issue a few days before, in training! 

This guy has lost the club over a £100 million in asset value over the last year or so. He has to go. 

Nail on the head! 

Yes Brendan you are a decent coach but you’re a bag of balls when it comes to identifying and signing players

If I was Top, I would tell (not ask) Brendan to stop speaking to the press about this. Inside the club it must be creating negativity. What will any potential new signing think? "I am not going there, they have no money and are going backwards". We have a bloated squad (no European football). That is going to resolve itself in the summer. When we played Fulham and we upped the pace and intensity we looked.okay. That is down to BR. Not being ready for Newcastle was down to BR. I am fed up with him. He is well paid. Earn your corn! We are 10 days into the new year. Have we not identified anyone to come in? That is down to the club. We could do loan deals. We do need some new/fresh faces asap. Even the most perfect of teams will refresh their squads. We have a massive week ahead. We must win one.of the two games (ideally both) to stop this season becoming a real slog! COYB!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, sm1 said:

As much as I dislike Rodgers and don't agree with him on alot of things, he's got a point here. Our net spend over the last 5 years is 35M, basically 7M a year. If you chronically underfund the team for that long you're going to go backwards. It happened with Southampton and now it's happening to us. Tielmans will leave in the summer and if we dont strengthen with quality players, so will Maddison. We'll basically be a championship club then.

We've wasted a hell of a lot of money though. There's been no other club in the PL get the fees we've got for our players in recent years and we haven't invested that wisely. It can be difficult, but our model is to scout well, by in young talent for modest fees and they help bring us success along the way and then we cash in when the time is right and use those funds to improve the squad overall.

That is the model of many successful clubs in Europe too, but we've let our standards slip. We also are victims of our own success by either attempting to keep hold of the squad and paying them increased salaries which have left our wage bill totalling nearly our entire revenue, any significant net spend is just a huge loss, even when accounting for player amortisation it seems. 

We need to get back to the recruitment model of the past, we need to put ourselves in a position where we have the financial flexibility to recruit every window and the conveyor built quicken. I'm concerned by a lot of the coaches and other staff at this club aren't good enough any longer, I admire loyalty but there appears to be a culture here where new innovation in the academy or recruitment and analytics seems to not stick around and those that do don't seem good enough but maybe I'm being very harsh there.

• Like 2

Rodgers talking about net spend of 10m is deliberately self motivated and yet another half truth which tells you all you need to know about the man. Why would you want to spend your own money if your own previous recruitment has been so effective that you can effectively spend the profits off sales? Surely that's a great working model Isn't it? You can then reinvest yet again and continue to move forward, albeit perhaps a bit more slowly and to a lesser extent to the mega rich top few.

How much of that have you spent Brendan? Isn't it up to around a couple of hundred million or something? Did you forget to mention that? Bugger me! How's that going mate by the way, are you integrating and playing them all successfully? Bet we're soon to make a huge profit on them too, excellent job, bet we're near the top again too, brilliant stuff! 👏 

• Like 1

Whatever people think, spending 15m in the last 18 months was alway going to be a problem.

Forget net spend even on gross spend we have been out spent by the top 6 and West Ham, Everton, Newcastle, Villa and Wolves in the last 4 seasons.

Whatever way you slice it, whoever the manager is continually sell you best players and spend less the everyone else you are going to find yourself in trouble.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, Dames said:

Feels like the start of the season again. The pressure is on and his first response is to protect Brand Brendan. 

It really does and his comments back then aggravated the situation. Maybe it's all a deliberate ploy but it doesn't seem to a) get us any signings or b) get him the sack for gobbing off. All that happens is a spell of horrendous form and relegation becomes a real possibility.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, cityfanlee23 said:

There is a point here and I do agree somewhat, but it's largely irrelevant when you consider our total spend. 
Lets pretend a club signs a full squad for 20m, then sells them for 1 billion, and then spends 1 billion replacing that squad, net spend is £0. But they've still spent 1 billion on new players to replace the old. 
Our net spend is low largely because we've received whacking great fees for players then spent those funds on absolute dross. How much has he spent in total? something like 240m? I appreciate we've lost good players, but we received 160m for just 2 players in Fofana and Maguire. If Brendan/Scouts are unable to find decent players for 240m+ then fundamentally something is wrong regardless of what the net spend is. 

Net spend is only hugely relevant when considering the fees we have received and what we have replaced them with. If we had sold all our best players combined for say £20m, and then only spent 55m replacing them then that 35m net would hold more weight.
Puels net spend was about £20m and he completely transformed the squad, signing Maddison, Pereira, Soyuncu, Evans, Tielemans was basically his signing anyway or atleast played a large part.

I totally understand where you're coming from but we're 18th in the net spend table over the last 5 years which reeks of lack of ambition and bad management from above. We absolutely deserve to be in the predicament we're in and unless it changes very quickly we're destined for the championship. I'm still in the Brendan out camp but in my opinion he can't and shouldn't shoulder all the blame and should be followed out of this club by the hierarchy running it. A complete amateurish shambles and going backwards fast.

• Like 3

Just now, CyprusFox said:

I totally understand where you're coming from but we're 18th in the net spend table over the last 5 years which reeks of lack of ambition and bad management from above. We absolutely deserve to be in the predicament we're in and unless it changes very quickly we're destined for the championship. I'm still in the Brendan out camp but in my opinion he can't and shouldn't shoulder all the blame and should be followed out of this club by the hierarchy running it. A complete amateurish shambles and going backwards fast.

I tell you what though, if we'd have allowed him to squander more money on his shitty transfers we'd be in a lot worse predicament than we already are now.

1 minute ago, elvisfmcfly said:

I tell you what though, if we'd have allowed him to squander more money on his shitty transfers we'd be in a lot worse predicament than we already are now.

Couldn't agree more which is why he should've been long gone. That responsibility lies solely with the amateurs running the club