Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

22 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

I think this is a good point about Puel. He did create the foundations for the success we’ve had under Rodgers, but as I’ve said before when it gets to the point where he really puts his own stamp on the side it has started to unravel. It happened at Liverpool as well.

These recent ramblings are also reminiscent of when he talked his way out of Celtic to join us. 

Can’t help but think his time here is done.

Rodgers has checked out alright, I have little doubt that he's just biding his time here waiting for the sack or a better offer.

I also see why the club won't sack him, we may as well stick with him until the summer rather than pay him to leave and risk getting in someone even worse and the total cost ends up costing a fortune.

I could see Rodgers resigning in the summer, we might get lucky and he may be wanted elsewhere if there is a merry-go-round. Chelsea, Tottenham or West Ham could lose their managers and he might be in the frame or get those jobs if his narrative succeeds.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, walkerleeds said:

This fvcking guy man. 

Been mentioned, but look at the squad he inherited. It didn't matter that we didn't spend £200mill, because it was made up of relatively shrewd purchases and fantastic academy graduates. 

The squad depreciation under his leadership is criminal, let alone his teams bottling top 4, TWICE. 

Hes right though, the club hierarcy have let him down. #RODDGERSSSTILLIDIIEEEE #BACKTHEMANAGER

Edited by Simoken
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Rodgers has checked out alright, I have little doubt that he's just biding his time here waiting for the sack or a better offer.

I also see why the club won't sack him, we may as well stick with him until the summer rather than pay him to leave and risk getting in someone even worse and the total cost ends up costing a fortune.

I could see Rodgers resigning in the summer, we might get lucky and he may be wanted elsewhere if there is a merry-go-round. Chelsea, Tottenham or West Ham could lose their managers and he might be in the frame or get those jobs if his narrative succeeds.

That theory is all well and good if the club stays in the premier league. It's a big gamble they are taking at this point if that is their policy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

That theory is all well and good if the club stays in the premier league. It's a big gamble they are taking at this point if that is their policy.

It's also a gamble to sack him, there are no cast iron guarantees of staying in the PL whatever path you take.

He's not letting that 200k a week go without a pay off or the offer of a better job but he has already checked out here and is more interested in saving Brand Brendan than the club with his woe is me narrative.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Now look at what we’ve actually spent, rather than net spend. 

I know what he’s spent in total but if your always having to sell some of the best players in the league because you don’t have any money to buy players yourself eventually your gonna run out of luck and not going to be able to replace them and slowly get worse. Doesn’t help that Rodgers buys are are mainly shit accepted. 

Without spending in the transfer market , we have seven  players who can form a solid core in Barnes, KDH, Thomas , Iverson, Nelson, Braybrooke and ,when fit, Alves.. We must build our future from within. These players are no risk ,we know their ability and they must be encouraged and trusted.

24 minutes ago, Gerard said:

...he (Rodgers) either has become comfortable in his position that he now feels that he can come out and say these things!!!

Either that or he has an offer to manage a high profile team in the summer or perhaps before.

There is little to no consequence in saying this stuff for him,  he must feel very assured in his position to be talking in this way.

The failure to reach Champions League was not due to lack of money, but to a weak mentality on both occasions. 

2 hours ago, CyprusFox said:

I totally understand where you're coming from but we're 18th in the net spend table over the last 5 years which reeks of lack of ambition and bad management from above. We absolutely deserve to be in the predicament we're in and unless it changes very quickly we're destined for the championship. I'm still in the Brendan out camp but in my opinion he can't and shouldn't shoulder all the blame and should be followed out of this club by the hierarchy running it. A complete amateurish shambles and going backwards fast.

Completely agree I think there has to be a balance here when forming an opinion, I think in terms of total expenditure we have spent a lot of money relative to our club size, but in the context of net spend we definitely haven’t managed our spending well in terms of players we’ve sold and replaced. Rodgers isn’t solely responsible for making signings, although bringing his mate Congerton in does put a lot of the blame on his door given Congertons record. But ultimately it’s as if the entire blueprint of Leicester city transfer policy that was carefully put together by Pearson and Walsh etc has basically been dismantled and we’ve gone for a Manchester United style approach of complete chaos and the blame for that comes from all levels from board to management.

ultimately the issue here isn’t really an argument of net vs gross for me, it’s an issue of buying largely dross for the majority of our signings. I keep banging this drum but I liked Puel, it didn’t work on the pitch, but he transformed us from a team that couldn’t hold possession to save our lives to a team that held it to the point that it became counter productive, but he took over a very one dimensional squad and by the time he left, we had 4/5 of the most promising under 25 players in the country, some in Europe, and a squad that could be flexible to multiple different formations and styles. 
Ndidi, Maddison, Chilwell, Soyuncu, Pereira and Tielemans all looked like potential superstars. 

Fast forward to today we have no plan on the pitch, seemingly no plan in recruitment, we have a squad capable of playing fast counter attacking football and a squad that can also hold the ball and play possession, but we are terrible at both 😂 I genuinely feel like we need someone with footballing experience to come in and advise the club from top to bottom, along the lines of what Rangnick was going to do at United. 

We are rudderless. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Blanchflower78 said:

10m net spend if correct is a challenge by anyone's standards. 

It's more £230m, he's spent the money we made in transfers as well.

Basically he's blasted a quarter of a billi and has taken the squad backwards.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Seems pretty reductionist to blame everything on Rodgers - the club has been mismanaged into decline over the last 2-3 years by Rodgers and everyone above him

Thats true but he's been given more power than any other manager since Pearson and he's lead us into this mess.

19 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

the club has been mismanaged into decline over the last 2-3 years by Rodgers and everyone above him

Genuine question: how much control does a manager have over other functions within the club? 

When managers are interviewed for the job, they presumably outline their vision. That vision might well include structural changes within the club. It's not unusual, under any new manager, to see changes in backroom staff etc. Pearson set up a number of initiatives (sports medicine, psychiatrist or whatever, etc) that have been removed by subsequent managers. Ranieri famously ditched chicken burgers, so presumably had control over menus! It's not my intention btw to herald Pearson as the messiah, I use the situation only to illustrate the changes that occur as a result of the change of manager. Rodgers purportedly brought in Congerton (is that true btw? that is rather than saying that he was someone he could work with). BR also says (or has said) that he controls recruitment - the club don't sign a player unless he signs off on it.

My point is; how much of a club's decline (or indeed success) can be attributed to the manager, their vision and any changes they implement? And how much of a free reign are they given to implement change?

Edited by taupe
sp

2 minutes ago, Dames said:

Thats true but he's been given more power than any other manager since Pearson and he's lead us into this mess.

Ah, my post above (cross posted?) asks of that very issue, not specifically of Rodgers but of managers generally. 

43 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Completely agree I think there has to be a balance here when forming an opinion, I think in terms of total expenditure we have spent a lot of money relative to our club size, but in the context of net spend we definitely haven’t managed our spending well in terms of players we’ve sold and replaced. Rodgers isn’t solely responsible for making signings, although bringing his mate Congerton in does put a lot of the blame on his door given Congertons record. But ultimately it’s as if the entire blueprint of Leicester city transfer policy that was carefully put together by Pearson and Walsh etc has basically been dismantled and we’ve gone for a Manchester United style approach of complete chaos and the blame for that comes from all levels from board to management.

ultimately the issue here isn’t really an argument of net vs gross for me, it’s an issue of buying largely dross for the majority of our signings. I keep banging this drum but I liked Puel, it didn’t work on the pitch, but he transformed us from a team that couldn’t hold possession to save our lives to a team that held it to the point that it became counter productive, but he took over a very one dimensional squad and by the time he left, we had 4/5 of the most promising under 25 players in the country, some in Europe, and a squad that could be flexible to multiple different formations and styles. 
Ndidi, Maddison, Chilwell, Soyuncu, Pereira and Tielemans all looked like potential superstars. 

Fast forward to today we have no plan on the pitch, seemingly no plan in recruitment, we have a squad capable of playing fast counter attacking football and a squad that can also hold the ball and play possession, but we are terrible at both 😂 I genuinely feel like we need someone with footballing experience to come in and advise the club from top to bottom, along the lines of what Rangnick was going to do at United. 

We are rudderless. 

Spot on 

7 minutes ago, Dames said:

You simply don't know that though. It's silly to come out with sweeping statements like this when we have absolutely no idea if this is true. 

Deal with facts. Net spend has been low, and it's statistically proven that consistent top 6 teams require a much higher net spend than what we have, regardless of player sells. 

That doesn't mean Rodgers is inoccent, as as a manager he should be working with what he's got and producing better results. A multitude of issues (lack of investment, recruitment, coaching etc)are crossing over causing the current plight we have currently. 

Leadership comes from the top and ultimately the owners are accountable and responsible for all decisions made at all levels of the club. 

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Now look at what we’ve actually spent, rather than net spend. 

Exactly.

And also worth looking at where big spending West Ham and Villa, Everton are in the table.  Gross or Net spend is no guarantee of success.  As previous years have demonstrated, it's how you buy (and sell) not how much you spend that matters. 

6 minutes ago, Adster said:

You simply don't know that though. It's silly to come out with sweeping statements like this when we have absolutely no idea if this is true. 

Deal with facts. Net spend has been low, and it's statistically proven that consistent top 6 teams require a much higher net spend than what we have, regardless of player sells. 

That doesn't mean Rodgers is inoccent, as as a manager he should be working with what he's got and producing better results. A multitude of issues (lack of investment, recruitment, coaching etc)are crossing over causing the current plight we have currently. 

Leadership comes from the top and ultimately the owners are accountable and responsible for all decisions made at all levels of the club. 

We do know that - We know he got his first choice Head of Recruitment in, no manager has had that since Pearson so that gave him defacto control over the transfers. 

Net spend has only been low because we sold Fofana for 70m this summer otherwise it would have been much higher. He was backed last summer with no outgoings and screwed it up. He's still spent 250 million pounds, that's a lot of money for a club the size of ours. 

So to your point on the multitude of issues there has been investment its just been squandered by the manager, recruitment until this summer was completely under his remit his fault and the coaching is completely on his as he brought in everyone he wanted to work with. 

The owners have responsibility as does the DOF but lets not bury our heads in the sand and make out like Rodgers is stuck in the middle when he's managed to screw up everything he's touched.