Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

4 minutes ago, Ricey said:

He also mentioned that sometimes players can become a bit timid after success and you have to find new ways to motivate them. He first mentioned it when talking about his success at Celtic, but also mentioned it when I asked about how he instills the right level of aggression in his teams.

.....I can see that being something that could happen, you start playing not to lose!!!

His first match against Watford saw him bring on Wes Morgan to counteract a big forward coming on. We lost that game with Wes having being caught out, but at the time a policy of bringing on a player who was out of form to resolve a situation on the park set the tone for short sighted decisions in the future. It was an archaic answer, implanted into a progressive team, and for a manager who would not use a big man upfront as a target man , it strikes me as a bit hypocritical.

1 hour ago, enmac said:

3 FA Cup wins in the 50s, when that competition was easily as valued as the league? 

The last one being in 1955. ManC won it in '69 :(

I wouldn't think there are many active fans that remember Newcastle winning the league and not many more that saw them win an FA Cup. They have never been successful in my lifetime and struggle with the media perception of the club having a rich history. 

34 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I think the fanbase has become quite spoiled and entitled because of what happened in May 2016.

The most overused word on this forum.

Again, people moaning about moaners outnumber the actual moaners by a mile.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

The last one being in 1955. ManC won it in '69 :(

I wouldn't think there are many active fans that remember Newcastle winning the league and not many more that saw them win an FA Cup. They have never been successful in my lifetime and struggle with the media perception of the club having a rich history. 

A 7 year old Newcastle fan who saw them win the 1955 Cup would "only" be 73. Look at William Shatner. 

7 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

The most overused word on this forum.

Again, people moaning about moaners outnumber the actual moaners by a mile.

I don't think its always about that. There are too many who dismiss other teams as crap and how we should beat them easily. There are no bad teams in the EPL and every match is a challenge. Also too many overreact when we lose. We are going to lose matches and that has always has been the case when you compete at the top level.It is not necessarily the fault of Rodgers or his team , you just get outplayed sometimes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ricey said:

Apparently we have a set-piece coach as well, which was a surprise.

....find that hard to believe!!!

He obviously has little or no impact in what we do in these situations, he should consider his position...

Probably Rodger's next-door neighbour who plays for the Pig and Whistle pub.

We are shocking in that respect and surely no respected coach can watch what goes on, on the pitch and take a payment for the results.

6 hours ago, Dames said:

Everton have dialled back their spending massively. They came up short and the Owner has pulled the funding. Newcastles owners won’t do no such thing, they will spend whatever it takes for success and bragging rights. 

Its hard for us and other fans to admit but Newcastle will genuinely be one of the best clubs in the Country by 2025. 

In your opinion 

3 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....I take it you have no vested interest in our club, what is your take on Rodgers going to the Etihad in due course!!!

Not huge on him personally. Think he should've seen out the title race with Liverpool in 13/14 and should've seen out the top 4 race with you the last two seasons. Of course deserves credit for getting the clubs into that position in the first place but the very best managers for me are the ones who can stick the landing.

Oh, and I really dislike the way he's handled Iheanacho, but I'm biased having watched Kelechi coming through under Pellegrini.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Dames said:

Everton have dialled back their spending massively. They came up short and the Owner has pulled the funding. Newcastles owners won’t do no such thing, they will spend whatever it takes for success and bragging rights. 

Its hard for us and other fans to admit but Newcastle will genuinely be one of the best clubs in the Country by 2025. 

most successful 

8 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Old Euro cup aside, domestically ManC won the old Div 1 title in 1967-68 whereas 3 of Newcastle titles came before WW1 with the last one in the 1920s! 

Newcastle do not have a rich past history in the modern era which ever way you look at it. 

4 League titles, 6 FA Cups and 1 European trophy is a rich 'past' history whichever way you look at it. Football did not start in 1992 contrary to popular opinion.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ricey said:

Aparently we have a set-piece coach as well, which was a surprise.

44 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....find that hard to believe!!!

He obviously has little or no impact in what we do in these situations, he should consider his position...

Probably Rodger's next-door neighbour who plays for the Pig and Whistle pub.

We are shocking in that respect and surely no respected coach can watch what goes on, on the pitch and take a payment for the results.

Zonal, innit! 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.....I can see that being something that could happen, you start playing not to lose!!!

His first match against Watford saw him bring on Wes Morgan to counteract a big forward coming on. We lost that game with Wes having being caught out, but at the time a policy of bringing on a player who was out of form to resolve a situation on the park set the tone for short sighted decisions in the future. It was an archaic answer, implanted into a progressive team, and for a manager who would not use a big man upfront as a target man , it strikes me as a bit hypocritical.

You might want to check on that. Our subs that day were Gray, Mendy and Iheanacho. The latter being a second striker on the pitch to try and win the game 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

4 League titles, 6 FA Cups and 1 European trophy is a rich 'past' history whichever way you look at it. Football did not start in 1992 contrary to popular opinion.

Eh? Who mentioned 1992?

Arguable when the 'modern' era started, this century? Last 50 years? 1961 when the maximum wage was scrapped? Since WW2? 

That said, football really did change with the PL in 1992 and can perhaps be considered as an era as its coming up to 30 years old.

Newcastle haven't won any major domestic trophies for a very, very long time. Even Sunderland have won an FA Cup since Newcastle last won a domestic trophy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spudulike said:

Eh? Who mentioned 1992?

Arguable when the 'modern' era started, this century? Last 50 years? 1961 when the maximum wage was scrapped? Since WW2? 

That said, football really did change with the PL in 1992 and can perhaps be considered as an era as its coming up to 30 years old.

Newcastle haven't won any major domestic trophies for a very, very long time. Even Sunderland have won an FA Cup since Newcastle last won a domestic trophy. 

Yes even Sunderland, another historically big club. The same could be be said about many others. West Ham, Wolves, Leeds, to name just a few. Newcastle have been massive underachievers but there is no doubt that they are a sleeping giant.