Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

2 hours ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

I am really not sure how it can get any worse than it currently is under Rodgers. A manager earning in the region of £10m and has effectively checked out and downed tools, we have a squad devoid of confidence and a number of players that have been frozen out or regressing under stale and stubborn tactics. We have scored 1 goal in our last 5 games against premier league opposition, losing all 5 games. We are turning up to games at present and literally waving a white flag, we have not won a game in which we have conceded this season. We have such a weak mentality and this comes from the Manager, a change would lift the whole club and playing squad, however what the board have to do is make sure that the interim management team and then the subsequent permanent team are fully aligned and buy into the vision of the club and  how we want to move forward. 

What tactics would you use then? Long ball, higher press, crosses into the box? I just don't see any of those options available to us with the squad we've got. The biggest issues with this squad are the keeper, lack of cover for Evans, and not having a left footed right winger. Rodgers was publically saying for ages about needing 2 centre backs and a winger. Part of it is his fault cus of the Vestegaard signing (although I maintain that was a panic buy after Fofana's injury). But the fact that we're midway through the 3rd window in a row of still not addressing these things is ridiculous. I'm convinced if we do then we'll finish mid table. If not it's gonna be a real struggle whoever is in charge

49 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

That stylish and painfully accurate quote is from me I think, but I am not a WUM but a contrarian or at least I like to consider alternate reasons rather than just parroting the current narrative

Also, @ARTY_FOX was replying to someone else

Hope this helps  :thumbup:

You mean argumentative, only kidding I like your alternative views and opinions 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

So you really think that the slow pedestrian based possession based style suits our players, if so why did we have that run of success pre World Cup where we played a counter attacking style and higher intensity and lo and behold won a few games and players like Barnes, Faes, Soumare and Daka looked to be playing with confidence and in some degree of form, we returned to Brendan Ball after resumption and we look horrific. 

I get the call outs about lack of investment but the tactics are appalling and I refuse to accept this is all he can do, pre World Cup proved this. 

No I don't think it suits Ward, Amartey and the non existent right winger. I do think it would be fine if we sorted those issues. Because what you call pedestrian build up play can be turned into patient build up play with a cutting edge. And you must know the difference between pre and post world cup is no Maddison, even though you didn't mention him in the list of players there. The fact is we've got a squad that is so unbalanced that we're totally reliant on 1 player.  Whether you blame Rodgers, the board, or both for that, I just don't see a change in manager being the answer 

4 minutes ago, MancFox24 said:

No I don't think it suits Ward, Amartey and the non existent right winger. I do think it would be fine if we sorted those issues. Because what you call pedestrian build up play can be turned into patient build up play with a cutting edge. And you must know the difference between pre and post world cup is no Maddison, even though you didn't mention him in the list of players there. The fact is we've got a squad that is so unbalanced that we're totally reliant on 1 player.  Whether you blame Rodgers, the board, or both for that, I just don't see a change in manager being the answer 

I actually think your argument regards Maddison actually strengthens the case for a change of manager as currently we are playing a style and tactical set up that is built around one player….. Maddison is a big miss but the Manager is paid considerable amounts of money to come up with alternative formations and selections to negate this. 

everyone is happy to heap praise on Rodgers for changing shape when we lost Barnes and Madders to injury and it coincided with Vardy and Iheanacho linking up to great effect and us winning the FA Cup so in this is instance he has to bear the brunt of the criticism that year we are playing a system and style that isn’t working and our players look devoid of confidence 

2 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

I actually think your argument regards Maddison actually strengthens the case for a change of manager as currently we are playing a style and tactical set up that is built around one player….. Maddison is a big miss but the Manager is paid considerable amounts of money to come up with alternative formations and selections to negate this. 

everyone is happy to heap praise on Rodgers for changing shape when we lost Barnes and Madders to injury and it coincided with Vardy and Iheanacho linking up to great effect and us winning the FA Cup so in this is instance he has to bear the brunt of the criticism that year we are playing a system and style that isn’t working and our players look devoid of confidence 

I don't think his tactics are centred around Maddison. He's actually using Maddison out of position because of the lack of balance in the squad. If we could solve the problem areas of the pitch we wouldn't be so reliant on Maddison.

Not sure if you're saying we should go to vardy/daka and Iheanacho up front. If so it would mean 3 at the back (dont have the centre backs to do it) or 4-4-2 (not sure where KDH or Maddison fit into that system). 

I just think some (not you necessarily) want to party like it's 2016 again and go back to having 30% possession and knocking it long into the channels for vardy. I'm fine with having a team where the centre backs have the most touches in the game, most of the best teams do, the problem is when you've got Amartey as one of those centre backs and you're lacking a cutting edge on one of the flanks. If we solve those issues we can go back to being a decent team

35 minutes ago, MancFox24 said:

We've gained points in seven games this season - five wins and two draws. Maddison appeared in six of those - the 2-0 win against Leeds was the only game in which we've picked up points without Maddison in the team. Dewsbury-Hall played in all seven of those games. 

I still think Rodgers could do a lot better with the players at his disposal, but the impact on the team of Maddison's absence should not be underestimated. I also think we've badly missed KDH's work rate in recent matches.

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

That stylish and painfully accurate quote is from me I think, but I am not a WUM but a contrarian or at least I like to consider alternate reasons rather than just parroting the current narrative

Also, @ARTY_FOX was replying to someone else

Hope this helps  :thumbup:

Yes I was :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Very true, but Ranieri didn't have much of the talent in the squad that Rodgers has had available to him for 3 years.

I wasn't trying to be pro-Rodgers. I was just using the historical precedent of Ranieri's sacking to try and inform what might happen with Rodgers. 

It indicates that rightly or wrongly - they will give him more time. 

They've also played themselves into a corner, because now would be a terrible time to change manager, given the window and fixture list

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

We've gained points in seven games this season - five wins and a draw. Maddison appeared in six of those - the 2-0 win against Leeds was the only game in which we've picked up points without Maddison in the team. Dewsbury-Hall played in all seven of those games. 

I still think Rodgers could do a lot better with the players art his disposal, but the impact on the team of Maddison's absence should not be underestimated. I also think we've badly missed KDH's work rate in recent matches.

So if we lose 1 or 2 players the gameplan fails to produce wins? 

Is that a sign of a good management? 

2 minutes ago, Kilworthfox said:

So if we lose 1 or 2 players the gameplan fails to produce wins? 

Is that a sign of a good management? 

It's the sign of a team that is massively dependent on the availability on a small number of quality players.

This does not excuse tactical incoherence, unmotivated players, a failure to do the basics, mental fragility, etc. As I said, Rodgers could and should be able to do better with the players available. But the fact is, we are very reliant on 3-4 players being available and performing week-in, week-out. Without them, we look like a Championship side.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bablemikey said:

We have a major overhaul & rebuild project facing us. I’d be looking very closely at Vincent Company. What he & his management team have done at Burnley is both surprising and outstanding.

and why would h leave Burnley for us? especially as our trajectories are heading in differing directions

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

It's the sign of a team that is massively dependent on the availability on a small number of quality players.

This does not excuse tactical incoherence, unmotivated players, a failure to do the basics, mental fragility, etc. As I said, Rodgers could and should be able to do better with the players available. But the fact is, we are very reliant on 3-4 players being available and performing week-in, week-out. Without them, we look like a Championship side.

Agreed. 

How has it come to this? 

22 minutes ago, Bablemikey said:

We have a major overhaul & rebuild project facing us. I’d be looking very closely at Vincent Company. What he & his management team have done at Burnley is both surprising and outstanding.

we should really look at what Brighton or Newcastle(smart investment, not the money side) have done

Since Rodgers got more control we have gone backwards, no denying that, recruitment has for mostly been crap, I know Puel got a bad rep but jesus we wasnt half as bad as we are and have been, plus signings under him seemed to have a plan you know,