Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

11 minutes ago, Rossiter said:

Just an alternative thought...maybe BR going on and on and on about lack of quality players just might get the board to spend. He is right really even though some are his signings and arguably these comments could de-motivate some players. On the other hand some players might want to prove him wrong....they're not all delicate flowers. We need new players. Maybe BR is doing the pestering thing kids do.  Let's say it works and we get some players in that rejuvenate things. BR will leave one day and we may be in a better state if even just one signing turns into a gem. 

He’s trying to save his own reputation simple as. Trying to do mental gymnastics and defend him is just embarrassing…

• Like 1

I'm not a BR fan. Didn't want him in the first place. Can't stand watching it (st holder). Just an alternative thought. I'm trying to figure out what's happening. As for protecting his reputation - we are all guilty of that. What's he supposed to say? I'm a #@## let me out of here?

2 minutes ago, Rossiter said:

I'm not a BR fan. Didn't want him in the first place. Can't stand watching it (st holder). Just an alternative thought. I'm trying to figure out what's happening. As for protecting his reputation - we are all guilty of that. What's he supposed to say? I'm a #@## let me out of here?

Could protect the players? Try and motivate them? 

Basically what a better man like Pearson would do…

• Like 1

As I said not all the players are delicate flowers. Calling them out might get a reaction. If they are that arsed about what he says then maybe that's their problem. Do you think Cantona gave a shit about what Fergie said?  Basically everything is shit right now. Nothing is working. He should've gone ages ago but he is still here. Panic really. The contract extension has backfired. 

1 minute ago, Rossiter said:

Abd I bet Pearson dug a few out....maybe not publically and I think that's BR's miscalculation.

I agree here, it’s the public grinding down that they aren’t good enough that is the problem. 

On your other post as you couldn’t just put your thoughts in one (?)

No don’t be obtuse, of course I don’t mean treat them like children. But to motivate them would be a start. What he is doing is just making them believe they are worthless and the human mind then believes it. 

Would be interested to see how you’d cope with a manager doing the same to you…

7 minutes ago, Rossiter said:

As I said not all the players are delicate flowers. Calling them out might get a reaction. If they are that arsed about what he says then maybe that's their problem. Do you think Cantona gave a shit about what Fergie said?  Basically everything is shit right now. Nothing is working. He should've gone ages ago but he is still here. Panic really. The contract extension has backfired. 

This is bang on, I agree with this. I disagree what Rodgers is doing is the same as a top manager like Fergie did. Calling out and challenging for better from the players is fair enough.

What Rodgers is doing is basically saying they aren’t good enough and he wants to replace them. Surely you can see the difference in those two approaches?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

Could protect the players? Try and motivate them? 

Basically what a better man like Pearson would do…

I get your point but Pearson is a terrible example! Great man manager but has definitely dug the squad out publicly before if he felt they shouldn’t have excuses 

Some people respond to encouragement, some to a bollocking/criticism. Most, in my view, a bit of both. At LCFC at the moment it's a mess. He knows it. We know it. I'm not a BR fan but maybe he's just trying anything now. In my view, he is at the stage of trying to get new players in now by saying what he has is not up to it and is prepared to criticise. It's a risky strategy but when dealing with people nothing is straightforward. Yesterday  could have been a win (undeserved imo). Daka comes on and messes up. Not tactics. Just a mistake. 

I don’t know what he says in private or what has happened with certain player’s for them to fall out of favour. 

What I do know is that he stubbornly persists with the same tactics week after week when we really need to try something different. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TJQuik said:

What strikes me as so bizarre about his post match comments is that we were parking the bus for almost the entire match, but then he's saying the players are shite and don't care because we can't keep possession?

Both can be true, if you recognise an opposition is better in possession than you letting them have the ball is perfectly acceptable, when you get your 30-40% possession, you have to better with it. Tielemans was very good with the ball, Barnes  could of helped us just keep the ball a bit better, an ease the pressure.

4 minutes ago, Rossiter said:

Some people respond to encouragement, some to a bollocking/criticism. Most, in my view, a bit of both. At LCFC at the moment it's a mess. He knows it. We know it. I'm not a BR fan but maybe he's just trying anything now. In my view, he is at the stage of trying to get new players in now by saying what he has is not up to it and is prepared to criticise. It's a risky strategy but when dealing with people nothing is straightforward. Yesterday  could have been a win (undeserved imo). Daka comes on and messes up. Not tactics. Just a mistake. 

Wasn’t just Daka that was to blame. His mistake started it, but Mendy should have tracked, amartey shouldn’t have had a brain fart, no communication. I would also argue tactics played a part. Why was Daka so deep? Why did we defend for so long with no outlet. All of it contributed to that goal and overall, the result. Brendan is much to blame as the players. 1st goal granted that was an error and a great finish, that I can accept, but for someone to jog into the box and not to be picked up is criminal defending. 

Edited by fox_favourite

15 minutes ago, StanSP said:

But maybe it's an indication and portrayal of someone who's not even motivated to be here, so his natural default setting then becomes one of despondency and unhappiness. He's not happy here and not happy with how things are going, and that's reflected in his comments.

This is the behaviour of a childish narcissist. It's almost masochistic that the board are letting him get away with it tbh. He's getting paid millions a year to do his job and he can't keep his trap shut because what he is doing isn't working and he can't deal with everything not being rosey. This is why this man can't arrest a slide.

• Like 1

His use of language is appalling for a bloke whose so office talk. 

You make criticism like that yesterday but phrasing in a way so it’s not such an attack on the players. For example he could say ‘we didn’t keep the ball well enough and our desire to secure the win has to be better’. By turning the criticism into a collective term - then it signals togetherness. Or you qualify your comment by saying something like ‘we’ve got outstanding players but parts of their game has gotta better’. 

Or in part someone like Pearson would say those things and then say it’s to up to us as coaches to get that right. But you’ll never see a concession of a failure by himself (Rodgers that is) 

Edited by CosbehFox
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rossiter said:

Agree with this, possibly other than the last line. Depends what the reason for this being. It was highlighted on MOTD. If not tactics it’s low confidence and fear (think you mentioned fear before). I think both of those are ultimately mentality traits set by the manager. 

9 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

I get your point but Pearson is a terrible example! Great man manager but has definitely dug the squad out publicly before if he felt they shouldn’t have excuses 

Different styles. As I said above, I feel with Pearson it was to strive for better.

With Rodgers it just seems life sucking. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Matt said:

Have you seen the signings we've made under him?

He's been here 4 years. Why has the starting 11 not been improved? Why has arguably the squad not been improved?

6 players in yesterday's starting 11 were here before him, another 2 of the 11 have been promoted from the academy, and 2 of the subs used were here before him, in total 10 out of 14 players used yesterday were here before him, he's had 4 years to make a mark, make his own signings and improve this team, he hasn't.

All for a "pittance" of £200m+

Without doubt we need a rebuild, but I don't necessarily subscribe to wholesale "rebuilds", you evolve, you replace players throughout cycles, add as you go along, we're at a point of needing a whole new squad, because it's gone wrong under him, based on the signings we've made under his stewardship, gives me no reason as to why they should give him any more money and trust him to be anywhere near a rebuild, that, plus how we've played for a very long time, plus how we're struggling gives you very limited arguments as to why he should still be in a job.

This is working on the pretense that he has or did have final say on the bottom line. Who is do say Betrand was actually 5th on the list? 

Trust "him" for a rebuild again works on the logic that he's actually doing anything other than reporting back to recruitment where we could do with more help. I wish I could trust the DoF/Scouts/Brendan and I'd like to think we've just been told late / too tight or something missing out on targets that would have improved us because we haven't actually improved a position or brought in a ready made improvement since Youri now Fofana has come and gone and that's disturbing.