Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

31 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Jeeze mate, a draw with Brighton has bought him till the end of the season at least.

You're right. How ungrateful I am that the great Bodger took a point against all odds vs the mighty Brighton and Hove and at home no less despite 30,000 putting unfair pressure on our players. Thanks tiny little prince x

43 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Little bastard is still here then. I'm not surprised, come on here in hope rather than expectation but it's a constantly sinking feeling checking Foxestalk and seeing no real indication he is on the ropes at very least. 😞 Horrid little gnome. 

He likes living in Leicester and has a lovely house... there's no place like gnome!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

I see no Bodger on this list 😔 as an aside would fully have Hassenhuttl here in a heartbeat

Didn't see anything from his time at Southampton to suggest he could improve us. And that says quite alot as it really wouldn't take much to improve on Rodgers this season. 

1 hour ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Little bastard is still here then. I'm not surprised, come on here in hope rather than expectation but it's a constantly sinking feeling checking Foxestalk and seeing no real indication he is on the ropes at very least. 😞 Horrid little gnome. 

I want him gone as well but think we have to accept he isn't going anywhere soon. I feel we are at a crossroads in this window. The club either back him and bring in another 2 or 3 players that can improve us or we don't which gives him more excuses to blame everyone but himself for how shit we are. If they do back him though and things haven't improved in the next month, then surely he'll have to go. I've been saying this for months though and he's still here so I won't hold my breath. 

5 hours ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

Should clearly go now, but sacking him then would have led to us being vilified both in the fanbase and through the media.

You can’t just constantly call for the manager to go, wait for bad form, and then claim you were right lol

That's the gift of looking forward. Being able to see what's coming will always upset some and so be it. I'd much rather have the media on our backs than this utter shitshow where we're a mess but hardly anybody outside criticises it.

3 hours ago, smudgerfox said:

I’m sorry but in order to progress you have to learn froM mistakes and in order to learn from mistakes you have to understand why they were made. 

For me - and I said so at the time - the crucial decision, was the signing of Vestergaard. I didn’t know then he was going to be a disaster in a Brendan-style defence but whoever was primary in making that decision needs to pay the price for it. I’m not paid to assess players and their suitability but others are. Had I been in the room I would have asked whether Southampton was an ideal club from which to recruit defenders…Rob Tanner, and I have no reason to doubt him, says Brendan was pushing for JV as he pushed for Bertrand. Lee Congerton- Brendan’s right hand man in recruitment- was our head of recruitment. Is anyone going to tell me that we signed JV in the face of fierce opposition from the Head Coach and the Head of Recruitment ? 

Just to remind everyone of the context - we’d won the FA Cup, we didn’t sell anyone over the summer, Evans was injured - he’d limped out of the Cup Final before half time, Soyuncu has a terrible Euros, Justin was injured, and then Fofana got a long term injury. 

it was imperative we got a Premier  standard, Brendan-style CB before the transfer window closed. This was obvious to me and it should have been obvious to anyone. 

We signed JV, and within six weeks , Brendan was preferring to play NDidi at CB. Then we had the gruesome spectacle of watching our inept defence fritter away our Europa League place and a further European place finish while Brendan blamed our injuries. Sitting on the bench throughout this fiasco, unplayed was Jenek  Vestergaard. The question remains: how did that happen? 

The writing was on the wall when we spend 50 million on Ayoze Perez and Dennis praet for me personally. Both going this summer for free having done very little for the club at a king's ransom. Two of the worst signings in our history, especially if we go down.

At the time people were saying how can they be bad signings when we got into Europe in both the following seasons but it's just taken a while for the pre existing quality of the squad to diminish to reveal how poor our recruitment that summer was. If we used that money wisely rather than effectively tossing it in the bin we wouldn't be in this situation.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

The writing was on the wall when we spend 50 million on Ayoze Perez and Dennis praet for me personally. Both going this summer for free having done very little for the club at a king's ransom. Two of the worst signings in our history, especially if we go down.

At the time people were saying how can they be bad signings when we got into Europe in both the following seasons but it's just taken a while for the pre existing quality of the squad to diminish to reveal how poor our recruitment that summer was. If we used that money wisely rather than effectively tossing it in the bin we wouldn't be in this situation.

You say that but both were bought by Rodgers with no thought of where to play them, they’ve both just been shoe horned into the side at random intervals and barely playing in their best positions. If you are gonna spend 50 million quid at Leicester you better make sure they improve the first 11 not just squad filler. 

Edited by elvisfmcfly

1 hour ago, honeybradger said:

Two of the worst signings in our history is a ridiculous statement, neither would even make the squad of played based on worst signings in our history.

Perez was a first choice player when we played our best football. Yes we overpaid for him, but not even close to some of the bad ones.

Praet is a decent player just not a starter when everyone is fit. If we are going to challenge the top six ever, we need to have high quality back up players to replace the starters.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Two of the worst signings in our history is a ridiculous statement, neither would even make the squad of played based on worst signings in our history.

Perez was a first choice player when we played our best football. Yes we overpaid for him, but not even close to some of the bad ones.

Praet is a decent player just not a starter when everyone is fit. If we are going to challenge the top six ever, we need to have high quality back up players to replace the starters.

Yes, not the worst by a long chalk though Perez because of his price tag has got to be up there somewhere.

However, I never quite get the logic that he couldn't be that bad because he was 'a first choice player when we were playing well'?

He was only first choice because Rodgers insisted on picking him every week and playing him on the wing where he was absolutely useless and contributed very little. Stubbornness and perhaps in part, trying to justify such a huge fee for mediocrity at best spring to mind. Was Junior Lewis a good player just because another crap manager chose to stick with him? Despite the then huge fee at the time and persistence, did Akinbyi suddenly become in our minds a hero and prolific goalscorer? Dennis Wise, an even tempered much loved midfield Dynamo? Regular appearances sometimes mean absolutely nothing, certainly in Perez's case, he's been an unmitigated failure. 

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

As much as I'm not keen on Rodgers, can't say there is anyone on this list I'd particularly fancy if we were in Evertons position. 

Screenshot_20230125_225337_Facebook.jpg

Carlos coberan is a good one for the future, would be too soon for a peek move rn but if he carries on as he is then I think we’ll see him in the prem in the next 12 months. 

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

Yes, not the worst by a long chalk though Perez because of his price tag has got to be up there somewhere.

However, I never quite get the logic that he couldn't be that bad because he was 'a first choice player when we were playing well'?

He was only first choice because Rodgers insisted on picking him every week and playing him on the wing were he was absolutely useless and contributed very little. Stubbornness and perhaps in part, trying to justify such a huge fee for mediocrity at best spring to mind. Was Junior Lewis a good player just because another crap manager chose to stick with him? Despite the then huge fee at the time and persistence, did Akinbyi suddenly become in our minds a hero and prolific goalscorer? Dennis Wise, an even tempered much loved midfield Dynamo? Regular appearances sometimes mean absolutely nothing, certainly in Perez's case, he's been an unmitigated failure. 

Huge difference between the players you mentioned and Perez is the success of the side. Lewis, Akinbyi and Wise were part of a side that was relegated from the premier league.

Perez was a regular in a side that twice finished 5th, won the FA Cup and spent most of the time he was a regular in the top 4.

A team like ours simply does not finish in the top 6 and challenge the big boys with useless passengers.

He wasnt the star of the team, and could frustrate at times, but had a role to play and did it. He was picked every week because he did the role he was asked to do.

8 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

I see no Bodger on this list 😔 as an aside would fully have Hassenhuttl here in a heartbeat

He would fit in nicely with our other Southampton rejects who we trounced 9-0. In fact ii takes some doing to manage a side to two 9-0 defeats in two seasons  I wouldn't even want Hassenhuttl to manage our ladies team personally.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Money doesnt grow on trees, in terms of value for money we haven't had much worse than those two. Perez came into the side as a 30 million pound player and despite that RW was the weakest position on the pitch for us.

50 million spent well that summer gets us into the champions league that season and it's a key factor of why we're at risk of dropping this season. If slimani who scored CL goals for us is one our worst transfers because of his 30 million price tag then so is Perez (and we're going to get no transfer fee at all for Perez unlike slimani)

Edited by honeybradger

2 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Huge difference between the players you mentioned and Perez is the success of the side. Lewis, Akinbyi and Wise were part of a side that was relegated from the premier league.

Perez was a regular in a side that twice finished 5th, won the FA Cup and spent most of the time he was a regular in the top 4.

A team like ours simply does not finish in the top 6 and challenge the big boys with useless passengers.

He wasnt the star of the team, and could frustrate at times, but had a role to play and did it. He was picked every week because he did the role he was asked to do.

We'll have to disagree on 'why' he was picked but he was powder puff weak and regularly gave the ball away, he gave of his best in fairness and it wasn't his fault he was played out on the right where he was largely ineffectual, other than Albrighton who else could he have played there? He was picked by default by a man who couldn't see or dare admit to his blunder. 

9 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

The club have wished him a happy birthday on Facebook as well, and on my quick look there are no negative comments from supporters.

It makes me think that the club mods deleting some less favourable comments?

People on Facebook are strange. I wouldn’t take anything you see on there seriously.

• Haha 1