Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

3 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

You can't really use "that's happened before" to sack a manager though?

The whole 3 year thing is a bit warped because he walked out of three of those jobs. Swansea to Liverpool was a massive jump and without that he probably stays at Swansea for 3 or 4 years. He was at Celtic for 3 years so could have easily just stayed.

That was another theory I had. He’d walk last summer. Obviously that was proven wrong, but he only didn’t walk because nobody else decent enough wanted him.

16 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

That was another theory I had. He’d walk last summer. Obviously that was proven wrong, but he only didn’t walk because nobody else decent enough wanted him.

Maybe yeah.

I think he's the type that wants to come in and take over a squad rather than build it, similar to here.

Edited by Fox92

Genuinely gutted we may miss out on Dyche. 

His ethic would have fitted in great here, hardworking and he’d have got the fans on side.  

1 hour ago, Mee-9 said:

Genuinely gutted we may miss out on Dyche. 

His ethic would have fitted in great here, hardworking and he’d have got the fans on side.  

Good grief. And people talk about the club not having ambition.

• Haha 4

I don’t think Top would have hesitated to sack Rogers’s and grab Dyche if he was that desperate. We really don’t know enough about what’s happening behind the scenes. Anyone watching the press conference?

People can say “how every word gets picked apart” all they want.

But this quite clearly wasn’t the case in the summer, the narrative was quite clear we needed to clear the decks and make space in a 25 man squad.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, honeybradger said:

The writing was on the wall when we spend 50 million on Ayoze Perez and Dennis praet for me personally. Both going this summer for free having done very little for the club at a king's ransom. Two of the worst signings in our history, especially if we go down.

At the time people were saying how can they be bad signings when we got into Europe in both the following seasons but it's just taken a while for the pre existing quality of the squad to diminish to reveal how poor our recruitment that summer was. If we used that money wisely rather than effectively tossing it in the bin we wouldn't be in this situation.

I think they are different from Vestergaard though for sure there are similarities.

Perez did play a part in the early Rodgers revival post Puel. Though his forward play left a lot to be desired his willingness to chase, harry and press was part and parcel of the first season success. And it was he who intercepted the pass that led to Youris cup winner. The thing is he never was a right winger and he’s never played for any length of time for us, in the role he played at Newcastle. So I’m loathe to be too critical of his signing. 

I’m pretty sure the club was tracking Praet prior to BRs appointment. So I can believe BR might have been overruled on this one. I think his arrival predates Lee Congerton as well. But yes, the trajectory is the same as with Vestergaard and Soumare. Initial enthusiasm, early criticism, eventual sidelining. Any second chances have been limited to the odd game - usually as a substitute or replaced on the hour when started. I suspect he’s never played for us in his best position though I couldn’t be sure what that is. 

With the positions Praet and Perez play there’s a certain advantage in having players who offer something different from what we already have. Maybe a player was expected to move on and these seemed like versatile replacements. 

The reason I focus on Vestergaard is because our need at CB could not have been clearer. And the shambles of halting our undoubted  progress due to an inadequate defence for virtually a whole season and now being unable to move JV on and bring in someone more suitable - dates back to the day he signed for a club that quickly decided that a £15million player actually had no value at all. 

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

But we were still 9th or 10th in the league at that point, and yes 10 points behind 7th (Manchester United) but we had two games in hand (with them still to play).

It was about looking at the bigger picture though. I know that we did pretty well in the Conference League, but finishing 3rd in a group which had Spartak Moscow and Legia Warsaw was quite rightly deemed to be a failure.

We had also been knocked out the cup by Liverpool (who weren’t even bothered) and I found Rodgers responsible for that loss, his tactical changes were bizarre, we were completely in control of that game. It was a mere reflection of his game management skills.

This coupled with the fact that we had been poor domestically during that period meant that there was a justification to sack him. The collapse at home to Spurs was when I started to sway towards wanting him gone, the Forest game was the final straw.

Edited by Matt_Lcfc
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Matt said:

But this quite clearly wasn’t the case in the summer, the narrative was quite clear we needed to clear the decks and make space in a 25 man squad.

Talks utter Shite..

Top needs to come out and explain a few things…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Leicester City’s transfer business is on hold until the club sell players, manager Brendan Rodgers has admitted, but insists he will “not go to war” with the hierarchy over the lack of activity.

City are the only Premier League club not to make a signing this summer window, even with Rodgers planning five or six transfers as part of a healthy shake-up. He now says his plans will not be completed as fully as he had hoped.

But the manager said he would never criticise the club, and understood the realities of City’s situation as they seek buyers for the players they want to offload in order to give them the financial wiggle room to bring in new recruits. If they cannot do that, Rodgers said they would struggle to compete at the higher end of the table.

Asked what he made of City’s lack of activity, Rodgers said after the 3-3 draw with OH Leuven on Saturday: “I trust the club implicitly. It’s a club that has always given me everything they have had since I’ve been here.

“Clearly, we have to do some business out before we can get players in. We just are not in the same position as some of the other clubs. Until that changes, I keep working with the players we have. We try to maximise their abilities and if the club can do something in the market to help the team, we would want that.

“(Selling players) is two-way. Other clubs have to want the players. But it’s also very important that we can’t get too hung up on that.

“Of course I want to improve the squad, I want to develop the squad, I said that midway through last year, but if it’s difficult financially, I really respect the club, so I don’t go to war with them.

“It’s unfortunate. We have to do some work and if we can do that, then hopefully we can affect the squad because if we are going to compete anywhere near where we have been, then we need to be able to do that. If not, then it’s a different expectation.”

While there are more than six weeks left in the transfer window, Rodgers admitted that whatever happens from now, City won’t be able to improve the squad to the level he had hoped. There are three weeks to go until the start of the Premier League season.

He added: “Hopefully we can improve the squad, but my honest opinion is that it’s not going to be the level I would have wanted. But that’s just unfortunate.

“It was also off the field as well. We wanted to reset some of our work off the field and we have started in that process, which is great, but of course I want the strongest squad possible. But if that’s not possible, then I will work with the players I have and we’ll continue to fight and work the very best we can.”

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/leicester-city-brendan-rodgers-transfers-7341949.amp

So which is it?

Any of the journos follow it up and ask him? Probably not :rolleyes: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Doctor said:

I mean I was being facetious just here over the "calling for him to go after Warsaw", like really the earliest point he could have been under any realistic pressure was late November/early December 2021, drawing to Spartak, losing at Villa, Chelsea should really have beaten us by 5 or 6 at home, and going out in the Europa League group stages, and even then it would have felt a bit kneejerk

The Chelsea game was the one where I thought, you know what, he has to go. We disorganised and pathetic - it seemed terminal to me.

Here we are in a completely avoidable situation because the higher ups evidently don’t look at the underlying data.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I'd imagine the club's higher up were comfortable in the summer that we wouldn't be in a relegation battle, which determined the summer window strategy.

Not surprising that has now gone out of the window with the real threat of relegation and that strategy has changed.