Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

19 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

Agree. When we played our so called “best” football, we were still good at counter attacking football and still had a bit of a reputation for it. Rodgers rode on that when he further solidify what Puel was already on to - to play more possession football. For me, Puel was right and someone had to do the dirty work which Rodgers benefited from. The thing is, Rodgers is sh*t with counter attacking football and transition. His football is sideways and backwards football - Rodgerball. When he introduced that, the players were still good at counter attacking and we had the best of both worlds. But as you may recall, Rodgers kept criticising the players for taking too many risks (he said he did not like football like playing basketball). Remember that West Brom game when we played so so well in the first half and were up by 3-0 by halftime. Rodgers said he was not happy and much preferred the “control” we had in the second half - we played Rodgerball without getting close to scoring even once. Fans thought that was good but boy how wrong were they. The writing was on the wall back then.

So when we still had reputation for playing counter attacking football essentially opposition sat back in fear of it and so that allowed us to play our one dimensional “Rodger” possession football without pressure. Then teams found us out. Rodgerball is sh*t as we cannot get out of our own half once pressed. I still recall it was Norwich who first found us out a few seasons ago and then all teams followed and we were on a downhill trajectory ever since. We started to rely on individual brilliance (eg. Maddison) than tactics and teamwork. That bought us sometime but relying on individual brilliance is not a sustainable tactic nor solution.

In short, Rodgers does not know how to get us out. He talks a good game but his ideas are dated and he is tactically very limited. We need someone new.

That was the comment that really started me doubting him.

• Like 2

Rodgers really seemed like a broken man at the press conference. I really do feel for him. It must really screw with your head to be lauded just 18 months ago to being maligned. His players and the staff around him have definitely let him down, and he hasn't helped himself at times either. It's just a crappy situation all round. If he gets another face in we will stay up.

If we can get rid of a number of players and find somewhat decent potential I imagine he will stay and start a new project with his 'rough diamonds'. The fans will then need to learn with this experiment whatever it brings.

On 09/08/2022 at 16:47, The Doctor said:

I think we're closer than a lot of people might admit.

Because I'm a nerd for this stuff, I've extracted expected goals, expected goals against and expected points from understat for his 125 league games and plotted them in 10 game rolling averages and it doesn't make hugely pretty reading. Basically, if the blue line is above the red one, we're getting more than performances warrant (except for goals conceded where the reverse is true, conceding less than would be expected) and vice versa 

So, let's look at goals first:

Screenshot_20220809-161730.png.428a4539048aba0eec9e20465be48e38.png

We've almost always run hot in front of goal, with one spell during "project Restart" where we were under finishing. The problem I'd that trend. We've had peaks (you can see where that Southampton game comes into the equation) but generally we hit about 1.5 xG per game under Rodgers until March this year where we plummeted to around 1 xG per game, we're creating less and less and that's been trending gradually across his reign

Goals against:

Screenshot_20220809-162831.png.b4b05b95711157df5d2a9bb46e7a88f6.png

Defence started really trending out at the FA cup game and the start of the 2021/22 season. Fofanas return has started to pull it back down (that sharp decline back from averaging 2 xGC per game to 1.5 lines up with him being back), but across his reign it's trending upwards 

Finally points:

Screenshot_20220809-154551.thumb.png.924daf006a3d29aadfa374dbbdaf7844.png Project Restart aside, where we were getting results worse than typical of our performances, we've tended to overachieve under Rodgers. Great? But again, look at the expected points trend. Gradually slipping further and further from again about the Cup final win down to around 1 point per game expected now. Our underlying stats have gotten to relegation battle standard and relying on us to just continuing to run hot and defy them is not a wise bet.

Found it. Like a fine wine.

Get the fraud out.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

I have never been bothered about the media portraying us as villains. The same happened with Ranieri, that was the right decision, clearly he was taking us down.

But my initial point was that the poster was saying that he wanted Rodgers out in September 2021. The problem with this is that there was no real justification for sacking Rodgers at that point, and the points that he listed lacked evidence (at the time).

The best time to sack him would have been after the Forest FA Cup game. He should’ve been hung out to dry after that pathetic, clueless display.

Yeah I hear you and I do agree. I think the best thing that could've happened, and I said this at the time was Newcastle took him when they sacked Steve Bruce. Think it would've suited all parties.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TrickyTrevLeftPeg said:

Exactly same here. It was a bizarre comment and shows hes more about his philosophy of keeping ball at all costs and not actually about the most important thing.. winning 

And I wondered how it makes the players feel at half time, leading 3-0 and getting told off by the manager for it. I'd just be thinking "you're a dick mate". 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

Found it. Like a fine wine.

Get the fraud out.

probably time for an update, because hoo boy it's got worse:

Screenshot_20230126-192615.png.d4d2a0436ce33c1c3dfe360ac124090d.png

goals: Madders and Tielemans having a bangers only contest pre world cup has disguised just how bad chance creation is nowadays, the recent output has basically been matching our underlying stats of around 1gpg (so is it any wonder why Vardy looks finished and Daka doesn't look like his heir when they're being given nothing to work with)

Screenshot_20230126-192720.png.cacc34712b875a4bcfaa7921b0feb1b2.png

Defence: Wout has helped a fair bit, although him coming back from the world cup not himself has started what might be a trend back to bad performance starting at the end there, and also while Schmeichel was slightly underperforming last season, Danny Ward might as well not even be playing

Screenshot_20230126-192807.png.6f33f00cb713642fe50c2a20fcc7a2f9.png

points: glass half full, the trend seems to have flattened out at just over a point a game which would generally be enough for lower midtable 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, moseeds said:

Rodgers really seemed like a broken man at the press conference. I really do feel for him. It must really screw with your head to be lauded just 18 months ago to being maligned. His players and the staff around him have definitely let him down, and he hasn't helped himself at times either. It's just a crappy situation all round. If he gets another face in we will stay up.

If we can get rid of a number of players and find somewhat decent potential I imagine he will stay and start a new project with his 'rough diamonds'. The fans will then need to learn with this experiment whatever it brings.

...he isn't though!!!

The only people calling for his head are on this forum, everyone else thinks he is too good for us, he is an elite manager and we need to back him with money. There are no discernible pressures on him.

• Like 1