Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

Massive change in approach yesterday. Everything ive been asking for this year.

Hopefully it is the case that hes had a change of mindset over the break and we will be back to seeing the same kind of performances we saw in the first 12-18 months of his tenure.

Just seen his post match and it sounds like thats exactly what has happened. Good man! 

Saying he watch the last performance back from the point of view of a new manager, its probably dawned on him how far away we slipped from way he had us playing.

It can be hard to see these things when you're

so close to it, using the break to take a beat and evaluate himself is a good sign.

Sparktak are in for a tough game if we take this mentality to Thursday night...or apparently Wednesday afternoon ive just seen lol

Edited by filbertway
  • Like 1

Guest Col city fan
3 hours ago, filbertway said:

Massive change in approach yesterday. Everything ive been asking for this year.

Hopefully it is the case that hes had a change of mindset over the break and we will be back to seeing the same kind of performances we saw in the first 12-18 months of his tenure.

Just seen his post match and it sounds like thats exactly what has happened. Good man! 

Saying he watch the last performance back from the point of view of a new manager, its probably dawned on him how far away we slipped from way he had us playing.

It can be hard to see these things when you're

so close to it, using the break to take a beat and evaluate himself is a good sign.

Sparktak are in for a tough game if we take this mentality to Thursday night...or apparently Wednesday afternoon ive just seen lol

I don’t think it’s any coincidence that yesterday we could field what is, imo, our best starting 11. 
The formation helped but to see Evans back, Ricardo etc made a massive difference. 
The only debate is should Wilf come back in. Personally I think so, but Soumare is actually better with the ball

We have so suffered from injuries to key players.

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

I don’t think it’s any coincidence that yesterday we could field what is, imo, our best starting 11. 
The formation helped but to see Evans back, Ricardo etc made a massive difference. 
The only debate is should Wilf come back in. Personally I think so, but Soumare is actually better with the ball

We have so suffered from injuries to key players.

Nah, it obviously helps. But it's 1 player thats come in. Rodgers has said in the post match that he's been getting it wrong and has realised the mentality/tactical approach wasn't working.

To put it down to Evans coming back in absolutely absurd lol

Evans has played plenty in the past 10 months and we never played like that.

• Like 1

Definitely learnt from his sub mistakes at Palace.

Few around me questioned the Perez sub but it did make sense to me as Madders was tiring and there was no need to change shape by bringing on a winger.

We looked much better. Let’s hope this is the turning point in our season.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Webbo said:

It's no Coincidence that our best display just happened to have occurred as our most influencial defender returned. 

Too many on here trying claim bizarre tactics, manager stupidity and favouritism when all he was trying to do was patch up a leaky defence and protect players that weren't fully fit. 

Evans was fit all of last season, and we played as poorly as the start of this season for a long period of it....

Have you forgotten the reason we finished 5th and not mid-table last season was purely the brilliance of Iheanacho for the 2nd half of the season?

As I have been saying for months and months now, Ndidi + Tielemans in a double pivot doesn't work.

It's no surprise to me, that once we've come away from that, we've had our best performance in probably 12 months.

Either Ndidi sits on his own and we play a 433, or we play a double pivot and Ndidi misses out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FoxyLeon said:

Evans was fit all of last season, and we played as poorly as the start of this season for a long period of it....

Have you forgotten the reason we finished 5th and not mid-table last season was purely the brilliance of Iheanacho for the 2nd half of the season?

As I have been saying for months and months now, Ndidi + Tielemans in a double pivot doesn't work.

It's no surprise to me, that once we've come away from that, we've had our best performance in probably 12 months.

Either Ndidi sits on his own and we play a 433, or we play a double pivot and Ndidi misses out.

Try and wait till we play a team that actually pressures us and gets in our faces in the middle of the park before writing off the Ndidi Tielemens partnership thats argubly the best CM partnership in our entire history. Brentford next week will be interesting and Ill be pretty certain we will see how much we miss WIlf due to the fact they will actually press and hassle us. Tielemens will get pressed into mistakes and there goes our threat.

I agree though a 433 with Ndidi Soumare and Youri could work but I think we need a Madders(or Id actually use Lookman) in the hole role to break the lines, rather than 3 CMs. What id not advocate is ever suggesting dropping Wilf. Wilf is fantastic and arguably the best 2/3 DMs in the Prem - in fact the EXACT type of player Utd need and If he was playing for Utd instead of Matic, we wouldnt have got half as much time to dictate through the lines.

37 minutes ago, Charl91 said:

Really seems to be as simple as playing as many of our best players as possible.

Ricardo and Castagne playing at the same time, Evans back, Iheanacho starting - with these all playing, our first XI suddenly looks much stronger.

100% this. It really is that simple sometimes but people try and over complicate things. Play our best players as much as possible and we will win a higher % of the time. Genius right?! Castange and Ricardo both full backs and Evans at the back. Fofana Wilf and Justin all walk in when back if fingers crossed, they are back to what they once were after injuries.

Stay clear of Betrand and Vestergard who no matter how much we persevere with, are lucky to be Prem players let alone top half players. So as you say simple play the best players and dont play the crap or dont be suprised when we look awful and vunerable at home to Burnley and away at Palace but so much better vs Man utd.

With Brendan , your only as good as the squad you have. Then subtle little tactic and personnel changes make slight differences but fairly negligible long term results compared to the overall resources possible.

Brendan is neither a poor manager who I want out, or a manager thats a fantastic messiah coach who is 'elite'. What he is, is a very decent/good coach and such polarisation of opinions on a weekly basis, whether we have stunk the place out at Palace or played United off the park.

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...doing that should be the norm and an essential part of the coaching staff's weaponry!!!

I get the feeling that these coaches really are not keyed into the mental aspects of the players psyche.

Like a lot of psychology, you can’t use the same trick repeatedly. It loses its force 

• Like 3

His game management on Saturday was arguably the best I've seen him since he's come here. Really showed the strength and depth we actually have if we use the squad properly. To get that result with the players he left out and every sub had a purpose.

The biggest sign for me was when he took Nacho off for Daka. Straight swap fresh pair legs to win the game. No p**** about

• Like 1

I was hoping that he would bring Ricardo on and move Castagne to the left, in place of Bertrand or Thomas, and Rodgers did that so I was very pleased. Ricardo makes things happen on the right a lot more than Castagne does. Even though Castagne is not as effective on the left, Ricardo’s input outweighs the downside.

Also, having Evans back was so important. Our defence looked a lot more steady once again.

wow if we can bottle whatever this team is right now that would be great and hopefully it will have players like Barnes to up his game so he can get back in the team and prove his worth. Lets see how we kick on now in our Europa game and then the big test against Brentford who have given everyone of our rivals so far the runs. COYF! :scarf:

On 17/10/2021 at 01:31, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Gone stale, busted flush, get rid etc etc.

If Talk Sport do get rid Geoff, I will stop listening for one. Keep your pecker up.

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, filbertway said:

Nah, it obviously helps. But it's 1 player thats come in. Rodgers has said in the post match that he's been getting it wrong and has realised the mentality/tactical approach wasn't working.

To put it down to Evans coming back in absolutely absurd lol

Evans has played plenty in the past 10 months and we never played like that.

I think it is both. Definitively Rodgers has shown a change in approach in the last few games, since Nacho/Daka started alongside Vardy. He finally realized that Vardy was too isolated and teams have found us out with our sideways/backwards passing. Safety first mentality was really hampering us, but the defence is still a key part to this. Without Evans we looked like a mess at the back and this is filtered through to the rest of the squad. I think without Evans, we would have struggled a bit even with the changed tactical approach/mentality. Also important was having Ricardo back, which is what I had asked for before this game too.

33 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

I think it is both. Definitively Rodgers has shown a change in approach in the last few games, since Nacho/Daka started alongside Vardy. He finally realized that Vardy was too isolated and teams have found us out with our sideways/backwards passing. Safety first mentality was really hampering us, but the defence is still a key part to this. Without Evans we looked like a mess at the back and this is filtered through to the rest of the squad. I think without Evans, we would have struggled a bit even with the changed tactical approach/mentality. Also important was having Ricardo back, which is what I had asked for before this game too.

I think he over thought our defense and sought to keep us in games by being defensive. 

The irony is our attack is good enough to negate a weak defence against most teams. 

• Like 1