Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

On 15/10/2021 at 22:54, Foxxed said:

Uh. I’ve just realised Newcastle will take our potential place in the top four while we’re on a descent with our best ever squad. How depressing.

On 15/10/2021 at 23:30, ARM1968 said:

Not this season they won’t and maybe not next IF we get our arses in gear. 

Oh God, this again.

Newcastle United will not be in the top 4 next season, for Christs sake. This is a team that has 3 draws and 5 losses from 8 games, a minus 9 GD and conceded 19 goals in that timeframe. You could give them the worlds best manager and 200m this summer and they'll still be miles off the top 4 next season, the squad is awful bar a couple of players, they need a serious overhaul from top to bottom. The only thing I can compare it to is us winning the league, but we weren't getting battered the season before, we were in most games but losing by the odd goal or getting the odd key decision go against us. In comparison, Newcastle were all over the place yesterday and conceded 4 goals to a Spurs team that had scored 6 goals in 7 games (If I remember correctly), they're all over the place and it's going to take 3 or 4 years minimum for them to even become an established team anywhere near the top, and even then that's with getting the right manager and some key players who massively improve the team, which there's no guarantees they will.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I don’t think it’s any coincidence that yesterday we could field what is, imo, our best starting 11. 
The formation helped but to see Evans back, Ricardo etc made a massive difference. 
The only debate is should Wilf come back in. Personally I think so, but Soumare is actually better with the ball

We have so suffered from injuries to key players.

An interesting opinion (presumably you mean with two players unavailable).  I am not sure what our best starting 11 is but can see what you mean.   Certainly it was a strong team and made the.mosr of who was available.

Before the game, I would have been happy to see Barnes and Lookman in the line-up.   But that would probably have meant no Iheanacho.  In the Palace game, Choudhury was decent, so it wouldn't have been a surprise to see him start.  For me, a fit Ndidi has to start.

Rodgers got it right .  Not surprising as he is a top manager.

Edited by majaco
Lost a day

Guest Col city fan
11 hours ago, majaco said:

An interesting opinion (presumably you mean with two players unavailable).  I am not sure what our best starting 11 is but can see what you mean.   Certainly it was a strong team and made the.mosr of who was available.

Before the game, I would have been happy to see Barnes and Lookman in the line-up.   But that would probably have meant no Iheanacho.  In the Palace game, Choudhury was decent, so it wouldn't have been a surprise to see him start.  For me, a fit Ndidi has to start.

Rodgers got it right .  Not surprising as he is a top manager.

I don’t think Barnes should be anywhere near the first team at the moment. His current form has been dreadful.

Hats off to Brendan. He got the line up and the tactics spot on this time 

6 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I don’t think Barnes should be anywhere near the first team at the moment. His current form has been dreadful.

I agree he has not been his best.   Rodgers got it right on Saturday.  

I hope we see Barnes at his best soon.

On 17/10/2021 at 08:10, Babylon said:

We were 13th in the table and even if you removed all our wins we still wouldn’t have been in the relegation places. Radical, no, stupid, yes. 

Haha. It’s really not though. A point a match is 38 points. Hopefully we’ve turned the corner though and we won’t have to continue this ridiculous debate.

19 hours ago, Col city fan said:

18 hours ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

This.

Could be a game he could find his form in though... 

Look, Rodgers' stock has fallen in my eyes in recent weeks after some baffling decisions that left us shapeless and lethargic. The Palace game was the worst of the lot - his subs were the reason we threw away a two-goal lead. I honestly would have driven him to Newcastle myself if the offer was made after that.

Credit where it's due though, he got it spot on at the weekend. I can't place the whole blame at his door for individual players not performing either, but that's the first time in months our shape and intensity of play have matched what we know we're capable of, cup final aside.

Green shoots. I am hopeful this is the start of getting back to the way we played in the first half of the last two seasons. :thumbup:

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 4

56 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Haha. It’s really not though. A point a match is 38 points. Hopefully we’ve turned the corner though and we won’t have to continue this ridiculous debate.

How can you be in relegation form when 7 other team were in worse form precisely? It's entirely relative to what others are doing. 

• Like 2

Really hope his tactical spot-ons on Saturday are the catalyst for more great performances and results.

Think that result has told him mentally that passing sideways and being less offensive, generally speaking, isn't for the benefit of the type of players in this team.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Reg Vardy said:

Rarely has so much b#llocks been spouted on Foxestalk….if the FA Cup win papered over the cracks, a trophy we have never won in our history…I’ll take a few more cracks for a few more trophies…..everyday of the week

Too many Posters Chasing Superlative for the forum, instead of concentration in supporting the Club & team...

Football is so simple, Bit some weirdos must Take it in themselves to  do OTT phsyco-analyse every situation...

Modern Football  forums better suited for the Soap-opera audience, instead of enjoying the Sports ups & downs/twists & turns...

Just in 3 seasons Brendan has taken us on an Exceptional journey, with a squad competing at the high end...

Some cant see there will be Slip ups, & downers, & One Major simple reason, our squad is not strong enough to compete 38 games for a Top 4,

Pure Bias as desillusioned the fan base into entitled...Top 6 clones,we used to laugh at..

Brendan might or might Not have lost his way, But you Dont throw his work into the Fire because of Dips in form of his team...No matter how long,

so long he is getting the end results...This squad is no Doubt One of our best ever , but it doesn't Breach or span that massive Chasm, the Top 4

rescources have on us...

Plus After our trials,tribulations and success, its Bloody obvious that Teams like Everton/W.Ham Maybe even Brighton can cannon off us,

and Remotivate those ex- Top club like Spurs /Arsenal...

• Like 1

That performance and result is massive and will hopefully be the blueprint for how we play for the remainder of the season. We look such a different team when we play with intensity and on the front foot. 

Important result which kickstarts the season and hopefully gives players and management the confidence to push on again. The passive performances and stale tactics meant questions and doubts had been raised, hopefully this can be put to bed now and we push on to have another successful and productive season. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Reg Vardy said:

Rarely has so much b#llocks been spouted on Foxestalk….if the FA Cup win papered over the cracks, a trophy we have never won in our history…I’ll take a few more cracks for a few more trophies…..everyday of the week

I think what we did in that game against Chelsea is fine. We were hard to break down and Youri scored a worldie. Finals are often scrappy tense affairs so we can’t say papering over the cracks in this game.

Look at the Chelsea/Man C champs league final, Man C had a lot of the football but couldn’t break Chelsea down and they got the goal to win it.

I don’t mind us playing scrappy and dogged against teams where we recognise they have better players than us, I think it’s a smart way to go about it likewise I expect other clubs to be like that against us.

Other than the Crystal Palace game where we were absolutely abysmal I felt if we had a bit more luck we could have a few more points in the board.

Yes we’ve not been playing at our best but that’ll happen with new players and fresh injuries but that’s a positive in itself to say we’re no where near as good as we can be but can find ourselves unlucky we’ve not nicked a couple more points.

Thankfully we looked like the Leicester we all want to see against Man U so let’s hope the guys can stay fit and the new boys settle in to get a good run of form going!

Really looking forward to the lads, whoever is selected showing the same intent today.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Really hope his tactical spot-ons on Saturday are the catalyst for more great performances and results.

Think that result has told him mentally that passing sideways and being less offensive, generally speaking, isn't for the benefit of the type of players in this team.

They left plenty of gaps, a well organised unit won’t do that and we’ll see more slower sideways stuff to try and make space. 

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, murphy said:

I'll let your tyres down.  :)

What was achieved last year with an injury list as long as your arm was remarkable but missing out on CL twice was still disappointing.  These opportunities won't come around very often.  Those were our moments and we missed out.  We're not a CL club, we don't have a budget anywhere close so we are overachieving whilst some of the big clubs are underachieving.  That won't last for ever and Rodgers has taken us to this position.  His record is excellent and you should be careful what you wish for.

Anyway, whatever your opinion, or mine, facts is facts and these is facts:  

download.jpeg.570f8b6c4951584a2c1892e0e2464d62.jpeg1413585668_download(1).jpeg.f53ea743ce8a087b1836cb891117c712.jpeg626657042_download(2).jpeg.ec6efe0aaacb661ed55032336a830780.jpeg430274594_download(3).jpeg.0898a7ed7141e6421def3a24995a193a.jpeg

I should clarify that I'm not some grumbling old git who wants rOdGErs OuT or anything. I'm not naive enough to think there's anybody better out there and there's no denying that anyone who brings silverware and top 6 finishes to a club of our stature deserves respect. lol

There's no denying that our football has been shite for most of this calendar year though. We can point the finger at injury lists, but injuries aren't the reason we've flattered to decieve this season - it's the way we're playing. Sideways and backwards passes in our own half, inviting pressure and the kind of mistakes we've enjoyed taking the piss out of Maguire for this week, but which we've been making all season. Persisiting with a knackered Tielemans who until Man Utd. had played seven games like he had the Titanic's anchor attached to his hip. Leaving fullbacks like Thomas (young and inexperienced) or Bertrand (should know better and defensively powderpuff) playing high up the pitch leaving us vulnerable to counters when our centre back pairing had the combined top speed of a milk float. Pulling players who are performing well and damaging our momentum and shape in games that were delicately poised - most tellingly Choudhury and Lookman at Palace, both of which were immediately followed by us conceding as we failed to readjust.

These were all tactical decisions by Rodgers that have already cost us a significant number of points and left us on the edge of being dunked out of the Europa League at the group stage. And, as I said and as your post does kind of prove, the FA Cup / Community Shield is giving him a free pass from criticism for some of our fans, when it's obvious that we have been a poor team overall since the turn of the year. :dunno:

He needs to be tactically braver and stop trying to choke games we should be taking the impetus in, especially when we know how defensively weak we've been through a mixture of injuries and weird tactics for the majority of his tenure. The way we've approached games against teams like Burnley, Crystal Palace and Brighton this year has been unacceptable. He mentioned that Man Utd. should be a "blueprint" going forwards and I really hope it is. Positve, forward-thinking possession football coupled with a press everywhere on the pitch. If that happens and we don't revert to Puelball-by-any-other-name over the course of the season, I will be delighted and we will finish in and around the top 6 again. :thumbup:

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

There's no denying that our football has been shite for most of this calendar year though. We can point the finger at injury lists, but injuries aren't the reason we've flattered to decieve this season - it's the way we're playing. Sideways and backwards passes in our own half, inviting pressure and the kind of mistakes we've enjoyed taking the piss out of Maguire for this week, but which we've been making all season. Persisiting with a knackered Tielemans who until Man Utd. had played seven games like he had the Titanic's anchor attached to his hip. Leaving fullbacks like Thomas (young and inexperienced) or Bertrand (should know better and defensively powderpuff) playing high up the pitch leaving us vulnerable to counters when our centre back pairing had the combined top speed of a milk float. Pulling players who are performing well and damaging our momentum and shape in games that were delicately poised - most tellingly Choudhury and Lookman at Palace, both of which were immediately followed by us conceding as we failed to readjust.

I respectfully disagree. The injuries to defence have been catastrophic, not actually Wes mostly although that was very damaging, its more the irregualrity of Jonny's availability, and this has removed the confidence from our defence, and this has been felt across the whole team. We looked paniced, unsure and rudderless. I must confess, I never expected the loss of Jonny to be so damaging, but I think it actually is/was.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, OntarioFox said:

I'm not denying that, but the football has, for want of a better word, been shite since practically the turn of the year. Yes we've had injuries, but the comparisons with Puelball from many here are fair. At times it's felt like any positive intentions are being coached out of the players in favour of possession for the sake of possession.

On reflection the FA cup run has papered over the cracks, in a similar way to, say, Spurs' Champions League adventures during Pocchetino's last full season. This season was (and might still be) in danger of being like the one that followed for them. Sentiment means very little I'm afraid - otherwise we'd probably now be a mid-table Championship team with Claudio as manager for life, as so much of the media expected us to do after 2016.

That's what makes it so infuriating - this is undisputedly the best squad we've ever had with the talent and stamina to play a pressing game without having to sacrifice a possession-based style. We have it in our locker. We did that on Saturday. But we could be in the relegation zone by now if we didn't have two world-class strikers in Vardy and Iheanacho saving our blushes by offsetting our defensive self-destruction, which is entirely down to our overly-cautious tactics which, frankly, have stunk for a while and have really started to bite us on the arse this season.

I am an optimist, I really am as hard as that might be to believe from this response. When it clicks, it's incredible to watch. The problem is - how long does it have to not click before you hold your hands up and try something else? Before Saturday, and cup run aside, I had to really rack my brain for the last truly great team performance where it was a case of us being brilliant rather than our opposition being crap, and had to go back to 2-0 against Chelsea in January. I make that 9 months of bang average football.

I could have said the West Brom game, but we won that 3-0 in a first half that had Rodgers pissed off with us not following the gameplan. That was in spite of him, not because of him. And, tellingly, was the turning point after which our league performances started to really hit the skids. That's what concerns me most. He has shown his unwillingness to adapt through tough periods. 

I want to trust Brendan to push on from the Man Utd result and stop us playing like rabbits in the headlights. We have it in us to play like that every week. It's up to him now to stop being a shrinking violet and play to our strengths. Otherwise I'll meet you at the King Power and drive him straight back up there when you get back. 😂

How well gas sacking pochettino gone for Tottenham since they ‘papered over the cracks’? Everyone of their fans would take him back right now and I’m sure when Rodgers does leave after two seasons most of fans will be thinking the same

9 minutes ago, Hamilton Fox said:

How well gas sacking pochettino gone for Tottenham since they ‘papered over the cracks’? Everyone of their fans would take him back right now and I’m sure when Rodgers does leave after two seasons most of fans will be thinking the same

...I would not have been surprised if his own players did not have something to do with his departure!!!

Eventually things would have come to a head and the result would have been the same.

Man management is very much a good tool to have in the box and it seems like Puel Pochettino did not understand how to use it.

Just now, weller54 said:

Pray OGS isn't sacked...

Cos if Manchester United come calling for BR he's gone!

United is a fookin mess and has been since fergie left. Chewed through what 3 proven managers already. Why would you want to walk into a shower of shit. If I were rodgers, I'd hold out for a bigger job. United right now, is not on the same level as chelsea, liverpool and man city.

• Like 1