Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

2 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...pretty much a very overused term on here!!!

The term legend is used a lot.   Not surprising when the Club. has won the top flight and the FA Cup for the first time recently.    Ranieri, Rodgers and many players have become Leicester legends.   

The term is overused in your opinion.  So what?

16 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

do we? or are those just words? he's been here 4 years - one of the longest serving managers currently in the PL. some stepping stone. 

the board didn't seem to take it that way considering they didn't push him? the players didn't seem to down tools? the fans outside of FT didn't seem to vexed? where were the protests FT was pushing for? where was the boycotting matches? 

like i've said - he's not free from criticism, far from it - but so much of the things that I see posted like the above are just hyperbole without much actual foundation, imo. I get people are frustrated but there's a complete unwillingness to look at the bigger picture sometimes. Rodgers has been part of a much bigger problem imo - and we're starting to see that play out - in that we're improving with some investment in the squad. 

arguing that he should have been getting better out of the remaining players - well for me there's a few things to consider: 

1. yes, we have some players capable of playing better than they have done in the last 18 months. the players also have to shoulder some of that blame. unfortunately, some of those players, because of injuries, or players who aren't interested or capable in positions around them, have suffered. football is a game of chemistry - players like barnes suffer when his partner on that side aren't up to the job. and he hasn't been. we've seen that happening across the entire pitch for the last two years. 

2. Im sometimes inclined to agree that perhaps rodgers should change his tactics to suit the squad he has left. but on the other hand, if we've spent 2 years trying to play a system, should we completely bin that at the first sign of trouble? it worked for us previously - it clearly stopped working when we lost a large number of our better players to injury etc. it's clearly working again now we've got some personnel who suit the plan again. tbh - I actually think you sometimes have to credit someone who has a vision of how things should be done and sticks with it even through a difficult period. chopping and changing isn't always the answer either. we could have quite easily reverted to what people consider 'golden' style of Leicester football that we played in 15/16 and found out very quickly that that isn't the answer we're looking for - the game, as much as people hate to admit it, has changed since then. 

my points above dont really matter anyway. unlike some on here i hardly claim to be a master tactician who thinks they can outthink the likes of actual football managers. i wish i could, id be earning a lot of money. on some level I trust that someone like rodgers knows better than I, what team to pick, which players to freeze out, what to say to the board, the media, the fans, etc. and dont tend to pull apart every little thing that goes on. I find my enjoyment of football a lot more relaxing that way. 

Missed this as it didn't @ me.

His thinly veiled plan was always to get back into what he sees as the big leagues but that's by the by to be fair. If he had performed well enough to achieve that then it would have been fair play.

1. I disagree. His job is to get the best out of the players regardless of reasons. Sure there will have been some that weren't pulling their weight but he has up until this summer been handsomely backed to replace any of those. Then add into the fact we had perfectly capable players being ignored due to whatever grudges and gripes. We won the league with Albrighton and he was competent enough to have been the counterbalance to Barnes on the right but was never used. Rogers wanted Bertrand on the left and we know how that turned out so Thomas had to play who hasn't been improved by coaching since his first season.

Justin, Castagne, Pereira would have been fine if it wasn't for our insane injury record since Rennie et al were ousted for Rodgers approved staff, but that's a whole other can of worms.

2. Not swaying from an overall long-term vision isn't the same as being stubborn and having zero pragmatism. Then blaming square pegs for not fitting in round holes.

That's your perspective, but why you would feel the need to argue any point if that was the case I dont know. If you extrapolate that to any debate about anything then why bother debating at all. Does that mean you think that politicians and CEOs are always right and all know exactly what they're doing too...

Enjoyment of life in general is much easier with that level of blissful ignorance I'll give you that.

Guest bennytwohats
48 minutes ago, BigGibbo said:

Hence I said repeatedly. Saying the wrong thing once or twice can of course be brushed off but a repeated campaign of self PR/club smear to deflect from his own failings is what I'm judging him on (and is also the antithesis of being humble hence my comments on his humility).

People love to talk about this PR campaign and delusions of grandeur etc. Tbh I think quite a lot of it is projecting and confirmation bias. Can you share an interview or quote where you think he's really demonstrated this? I've literally seen him do interviews after the game and say 'I take responsibility', and then you come in here and people are frothing at the mouth about how he blames everyone else. HE also consistently says how much he enjoys it here, has a good relationship with the owners etc. Hardly a smear campaign.

I don't watch all of the interviews, so I'm more than happy to be proved wrong. But since you think this happens all the time, I wonder if you can share an example of two where you think he's really gone on a PR campaign for himself and smeared the club?

Edited by bennytwohats

I don’t like klopp at all, but it’s moments like this that Brendan was missing. 

When things go bad, take the pressure off the players and put it on yourself… that’s the best way to dig yourself out of the situation. Don’t keep adding fuel to the fire. 

Considering he’s the king of excuses… you have to admit those excuses all aim for one thing… keep the players heads up!  it’s why personally, even though it’s embarrassing … i didn’t get mad at brendan blaming the heat.. because he’s trying to give the players an excuse for a bad display…. but the times his best logic is to say our squads not good enough… it might  be true but you just can’t say that and expect those same players to go out and play out of their skin for you. 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Guppys Love Child said:

I am a nice guy...I wouldn't kick a cat that's cruel...just pray away my friend if it

makes you feel better.  

Still Rodgers out regardless of what you or anyone else says ..

It’s not what I think or rattle in this Forum,same as you,we will see what the club decides…One month ago,back to fourth game, I wanted him gone…

This could turn into a great story equalling the great escape season,but over

a longer period,hopefully 3-5 seasons,  then that means,we have had and experienced successfull years..

Or we collapse like a pack of cards….

I really ask,…what do the Rogers regressers really want,the club,the fans , our story suffer,because some fans arrogantly don’t like him..???

I mean really..ffs…

2 minutes ago, bennytwohats said:

People love to talk about this PR campaign and delusions of grandeur etc. Tbh I think quite a lot of it is projecting and confirmation bias. Can you share an interview or quote where you think he's really demonstrated this? I've literally seen him do interviews after the game and say 'I take responsibility', and then you come in here and people are frothing at the mouth about how he blames everyone else. HE also consistently says how much he enjoys it here, has a good relationship with the owners etc. Hardly a smear campaign.

I don't watch all of the interviews, so I'm more than happy to be proved wrong. But since you think this happens all the time, I wonder if you can share an example of two where you think he's really gone on a PR campaign for himself and smeared the club?

No. I'm not looking to dig it all back up, but I did watch every interview and pre-match/post-match conference up until December. Pull up anything from July to September and he was constantly having digs about us not spending and everyone else spending and getting in his excuses even beforehand at times as he knew he had lost control.

There's more than enough out there to see he's an excuses guy doing PR for himself and not his club. I can't help if anyone else is not paying as close attention. 

• Like 1

Just now, BigGibbo said:

No. I'm not looking to dig it all back up, but I did watch every interview and pre-match/post-match conference up until December. Pull up anything from July to September and he was constantly having digs about us not spending and everyone else spending and getting in his excuses even beforehand at times as he knew he had lost control.

There's more than enough out there to see he's an excuses guy doing PR for himself and not his club. I can't help if anyone else is not paying as close attention. 

You clearly are, as you did not stop there. lol lol lol

3 hours ago, Guppys Love Child said:

If he does the above then he's finally doing the job he's paid handsomely for.

It's only taken him 20 Mths to hopefully get his @rse in gear...I just think at some point he will revert back to Brenden of old again 

Pls see the post directly above as well.

But Brendan of old was successfull, he just ran into stormy weather,that lasted a bit longer,than we wanted…

Funny thing is,I don’t believe the club, the board,the management,were even thinking about it…There are many mystery mitigating circumstances that haven’t been unveiled, more than we are being told…Something for me that gains him brownie points. He ain’t spurting or spitting out the woes,or breaking internal workings of club…

37 minutes ago, Guppys Love Child said:

OK I'll bite.

Which he absolutely loves..as he plays the media as well as Brian May plays guitar

If he was as good at managing us as he was at 'spinning the media' we would be  champions league winners by now (tongue in cheak joke everyone  🤪)

He is very good at diverting answers to lead the conversion in a direction he wants.  He is very measured in his answers and he has a plan of what he wants to say even if the questions asked are contrary to that.  

For me, and I gather its the same for a few other posters as will  its this aspect of him and the BS that dribbles out of his mouth that I dislike. Added to the the perceived "throwing under the bus" of players, fans etc ( no I can't be @rsed to go back and find previous copy paste extracts  from LM interviews or previous posters similar views...feel free to search anyone) that grinds my gears.   

Remember the media is Rodgers friend. Its the mechanism he uses most to cultivate his facade of he's "Elite Manager" status and his get out of jail cards when things aren't going so well. 

All manager do they same Klopp, Pep et al.

If he's throw so many players under the bus why haven't they down tools?

How do you know the media are his friends? They just judge the job his is doing without blue tinted glasses on.

When has he called himself a elite a manager? 

Is it his fault some of the media see him that way? 

Each to their own.

Rather judge him on the footy, in the last 15 games we are 6th in the form table.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 3

Guest bennytwohats
6 minutes ago, BigGibbo said:

Well like I say, every single one I've seen I don't see what you see, yet there is a hoard of people on here spouting the same conclusions you have. What I see is a bunch of people who have already made up their mind on what they think of him, and win or lose they'll pick apart his words to support the views they've already formed, which are prevalent in an echo chamber like FT.

You've been presented an opportunity to show otherwise by pointing to an actual quote or video of him, and you've declined to. It hardly suggests the PR campaign around him is as obvious as you seem to be saying it is.

14 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

All manager do they same Klopp, Pep et al.

If he's throw so many players under the bus why haven't they down tools?

How do you know the media are his friends? They just judge the job his is doing with blue tinted glasses on.

When has he called himself a elite a manager? 

Is it his fault some of the media see him that way? 

Each to their own.

Yep..

Look, I'll hazzard a guess (feel free to correct me if I'm.wrong) that you are a Rodgers in / Rodgers admirer and I'm cool with that, and it looks like we are never going to agree on points with regards to him.  

So as you said each to their own.. 

Edited by Guppys Love Child

Just now, Guppys Love Child said:

Yep..

Look, I'll hazzard a guess (feel free to correct me if I'm.wrong) that you are a Rodgers in / Rodgers admirer and I'm cool with that, and it looks like we are never going to agree on points with Regards to him.  

So as you said each to their own.. 

On the fence, depend how we finish the season.

Guest bennytwohats

@BigGibboI mean shit, I'll even play along. He is an interview I have seen. Brighton back in September.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62704218

"The results are down to me, 100%. I'm the manager so I take responsibility for that" - that's verbatim from the interview.

Can you point me towards a single interview or quote where he has said something along the lines of "I don't take responsibility", "This isn't down to me"? It shouldn't be hard as it's a sustained media campaign right?

Edited by bennytwohats

6 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

On the fence, depend how we finish the season.

OK then, honest question we finish 1 point above the bottom 3 and you would be fine with that?

What about relegation? Or We squeeze in a Europe spot.

Not looking for a argument, just genuinely interested in your tolerance levels.

My point is I've never based my wanting him gone on where we finish. But on the fact I dont like how he conducts himself and what and how he says things 

Oh I don't like his teeth too..

Edited by Guppys Love Child
  • Like 1

His thinly veiled plan was always to get back into what he sees as the big leagues

He explicitly came out and said this at some point?

His job is to get the best out of the players regardless of reasons.

I mean, the thing is - 'reasons' do matter. Lots of circumstances change, things happen that all have an affect on people to do their jobs properly all of the time. We're supposed to completely discount any outside factors from affecting our ability to do our job properly? 

but he has up until this summer been handsomely backed to replace any of those.

has he? I'm sure I've seen multiple sources suggesting our spending has been pretty low in recent seasons?

Then add into the fact we had perfectly capable players being ignored due to whatever grudges and gripes.

Again - 'whatever grudges and gripes' - with all due respect you (as well as I) have zero idea what these issues are? Are we discounting the fact that there may be some genuine reasons we don't know about for why these players have been omitted? We call it bad man management - maybe the players frozen out have had awful attitudes or been terrible in training and actually excluding them is good man management? It doesn't seem like any of the other players featuring have taken any issue? 

We won the league with Albrighton and he was competent enough to have been the counterbalance to Barnes on the right but was never used.

Love Marc but I'm not sure he's the answer to that problem. I'm sure with a run of games we'd have found plenty to fault about him as well. We won the league with him what, 5/6 seasons ago? 

so Thomas had to play who hasn't been improved by coaching since his first season.

No Thomas hasn't really improved - but a myriad of players have improved under Rodgers. If we're going to use Thomas as a stick to beat him with, surely we have to look at the players who've come along under his leadership too? 

Rogers wanted Bertrand on the left and we know how that turned out so Thomas had to play who hasn't been improved by coaching since his first season.

I'm sure Rodgers saw Bertrand as a last minute signing that could bring some experience to that area and help Thomas develop. The fact Bertrand got injured / sick immediately and never featured... well, not sure Rodgers could do much about that? 

Justin, Castagne, Pereira would have been fine if it wasn't for our insane injury record since Rennie et al were ousted for Rodgers approved staff, but that's a whole other can of worms.

Possibly? But again, it's a bit of an assumption that those players would have been injury free. We've had plenty of players who've stayed fit through Rodgers tenure. 

Think he can be surmised as a somewhat divisive figure, some regard his often trite mutterings as controversial, others as naught but soundbite beyond the injury updates. What he does on the pitch is what matters too me and thought his time was up, but we shall see I guess

8 minutes ago, bennytwohats said:

Well like I say, every single one I've seen I don't see what you see, yet there is a hoard of people on here spouting the same conclusions you have. What I see is a bunch of people who have already made up their mind on what they think of him, and win or lose they'll pick apart his words to support the views they've already formed, which are prevalent in an echo chamber like FT.

You've been presented an opportunity to show otherwise by pointing to an actual quote or video of him, and you've declined to. It hardly suggests the PR campaign around him is as obvious as you seem to be saying it is.

I only pop on every couple of weeks so have no idea if my opinion is minority or majority on here. I was neutral towards him but hopeful at the start of the season, although I have seen his tendency to make excuses and distance himself from any failings since his first bad run. 

It would take hours to find, watch and clip interviews that I'm alluding to as it wasn't picked up in print. There's no way you haven't seen the many mentions of us not spending though as it was literally every time he spoke from August to September.

Why would he be constantly mentioning that publicly if it wasn't to get his excuses in/protect himself?

11 minutes ago, bennytwohats said:

@BigGibboI mean shit, I'll even play along. He is an interview I have seen. Brighton back in September.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62704218

"The results are down to me, 100%. I'm the manager so I take responsibility for that" - that's verbatim from the interview.

Can you point me towards a single interview or quote where he has said something along the lines of "I don't take responsibility", "This isn't down to me"? It shouldn't be hard as it's a sustained media campaign right?

That's ridiculous as he obviously isn't going to come out and say it's nothing to do with him as he'd be an instant laughing stock, but saying its my responsibility,  but *insert excuse 1* & *insert excuse 2* is as good as for me. 

1 minute ago, BigGibbo said:

Why would he be constantly mentioning that publicly if it wasn't to get his excuses in/protect himself?

Because it was why we were struggling? We had injuries, we had players who wanted out. We weren't spending to rectify it. 

I'm pretty sure in the same breath he was saying the players we had were trying their best but in certain positions just weren't good enough. 

And I'm inclined to agree - looking back it just seems like an honest assessment of the situation.

It's up to the individual whether they like this sort of thing being aired in public - but it doesn't make it incorrect, imo.

2 minutes ago, BigGibbo said:

I only pop on every couple of weeks so have no idea if my opinion is minority or majority on here. I was neutral towards him but hopeful at the start of the season, although I have seen his tendency to make excuses and distance himself from any failings since his first bad run. 

It would take hours to find, watch and clip interviews that I'm alluding to as it wasn't picked up in print. There's no way you haven't seen the many mentions of us not spending though as it was literally every time he spoke from August to September.

Strange take after current transfer window? Looks like it was a reason rather than an excuse, no? Or was it just “not cricket” to mention it at all?

10 minutes ago, Guppys Love Child said:

OK then, honest question we finish 1 point above the bottom 3 and you would be fine with that?

What about relegation? Or We squeeze in a Europe spot.

Not looking for a argument, just genuinely interested in your tolerance levels.

Proformances are a important barometer for me, if we play aggressive attackng football between now and the end the season  I'd be more tolerant on where we finish.

Ideal his needs to finish top 10, and finish the season in good form.

Also need to get to the Semi final of the FA Cup because er have had a decent draw so far.

He got what he asked for so need to deliver.

My point is I've never based my wanting him gone on where we finish. But on the fact I dont like how he conducts himself and what and how he says things 

I think all managers have moments, action and words.

Oh I don't like his teeth too..

I'm not looking to kiss him so not bother about those ;)

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Haha 1

Just now, coolhandfox said:

Proformances are a important barometer for me, if we play aggressive attackng football between now and the end the season  I'd be more tolerant on were we finish.

Ideal his needs to finish top 10, and finish the season in good form.

He got what he asked for so need to deliver.

I think all managers have moments, action and words.

I'm not looking to kiss him so not bother about those ;)

Sorry was not laughing at the post, just the last line tickled me!