Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

1 minute ago, coolhandfox said:

Proformances are a important barometer for me, if we play aggressive attackng football between now and the end the season  I'd be more tolerant on were we finish.

Ideal his needs to finish top 10, and finish the season in good form.

He got what he asked for so need to deliver.

I think all managers have moments, action and words.

I'm not looking to kiss him so not bother about those ;)

Bugger me...we've found something we agree on 😁

• Haha 1

Guest bennytwohats
Just now, BigGibbo said:

That's ridiculous as he obviously isn't going to come out and say it's nothing to do with him as he'd be an instant laughing stock, but saying its my responsibility,  but *insert excuse 1* & *insert excuse 2* is as good as for me. 

I don't know what to say. You claimed he never takes responsibility. I've provided you a quote which is pretty unequivocal in him taking responsibility. You're dismissing it and basing your conclusions on things that 'would take hours to find'. It's exactly the point I'm making - you've made up your mind and you're willing to discard and rely on whatever evidence backs up your view. Hardly a fair hearing, and an impossible foundation to have a sensible discussion on the merits of the man.

7 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Proformances are a important barometer for me, if we play aggressive attackng football between now and the end the season  I'd be more tolerant on were we finish.

Ideal his needs to finish top 10, and finish the season in good form.

He got what he asked for so need to deliver.

I think this is where I sit too. The club for better or worse are backing him and they’ve given him what he’s been crying out for the past 6 months. In my mind there can be no more excuses, he has to deliver, safety as a minimum. 

He knows what needs to be done, he has the tools and now he has to apply it all. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

We could win the domestic treble next season and average 5 goals a game, and people on this forum would call for his head. 

There are reasons to be frustrated with Rodgers - his attitude was awful at the beginning of the season, but to some extent understandably so, he has a tendency to play too defensively for too long when protecting a lead, etc - but the idea that he would rather have the ball go backwards than forwards is ridiculous. I have sat behind him as he screams at players to pass it forward (one of the reasons Hamza is at Watford now) ... We were regularly scoring two or more goals in the 2019-2020.

The last two games is the type of football Rodgers wants: Yes, it is fair to criticize him because he has failed to achieve this over the past 18 months, and especially for our play at the beginning of the season (when it seemed like he was trying to get the sack) but to argue that he actually "wants" tepid back passes and side-to-side passing instead of forward play beggars belief.

Google his WBA (h) post match interview from two years ago (might be 3) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Guppys Love Child said:

OK then, honest question we finish 1 point above the bottom 3 and you would be fine with that?

What about relegation? Or We squeeze in a Europe spot.

Not looking for a argument, just genuinely interested in your tolerance levels.

My point is I've never based my wanting him gone on where we finish. But on the fact I dont like how he conducts himself and what and how he says things 

Oh I don't like his teeth too..

He could kill babies, molest pandas, crap in my front garden and look like John Merrick's uglier cousin... if he won the league managing us, that would be just dandy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, lifted*fox said:

He explicitly came out and said this at some point?

We'll just have to park this. It's obvious as anything to me but not explicitly stated as that would be insane.

I mean, the thing is - 'reasons' do matter. Lots of circumstances change, things happen that all have an affect on people to do their jobs properly all of the time. We're supposed to completely discount any outside factors from affecting our ability to do our job properly? 

A good manager finds way more solutions than he did and has way less players underperform than he has for me.

has he? I'm sure I've seen multiple sources suggesting our spending has been pretty low in recent seasons?

Yes. We had ridiculous fees come in for players signed before him (bar Fofana) that make our net spend look lower, but money was spent and the majority of Rodgers' signings flopped or are yet to come good if youre being generous.

Again - 'whatever grudges and gripes' - with all due respect you (as well as I) have zero idea what these issues are? Are we discounting the fact that there may be some genuine reasons we don't know about for why these players have been omitted? We call it bad man management - maybe the players frozen out have had awful attitudes or been terrible in training and actually excluding them is good man management? It doesn't seem like any of the other players featuring have taken any issue? 

I don't know. I'm not a fly on the wall, but clearly Albrighton in particular is a model professional. God knows with Soyuncu, etc, but solutions were not found.

Love Marc but I'm not sure he's the answer to that problem. I'm sure with a run of games we'd have found plenty to fault about him as well. We won the league with him what, 5/6 seasons ago? 

He's always a steady 6 to 8 out of 10 as a right mid and helps the flair players shine. He provided better balance than Perez or anyone we've played there to, but clearly we needed a new starting right winger since Mahrez.

No Thomas hasn't really improved - but a myriad of players have improved under Rodgers. If we're going to use Thomas as a stick to beat him with, surely we have to look at the players who've come along under his leadership too? 

Even the players that have improved have had major slumps in form which is something the manager finds solutions to.

I'm sure Rodgers saw Bertrand as a last minute signing that could bring some experience to that area and help Thomas develop. The fact Bertrand got injured / sick immediately and never featured... well, not sure Rodgers could do much about that? 

Maybe but he got the left back he wanted.

Possibly? But again, it's a bit of an assumption that those players would have been injury free. We've had plenty of players who've stayed fit through Rodgers tenure. 

We can't know who would or wouldn't have been injured but I'll bet my house on our injury record being better had the previous team remained and we can see that it clearly was before they were replaced compared to now.

Edited by BigGibbo

Guest bennytwohats
17 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

Because it was why we were struggling? We had injuries, we had players who wanted out. We weren't spending to rectify it. 

I'm pretty sure in the same breath he was saying the players we had were trying their best but in certain positions just weren't good enough. 

And I'm inclined to agree - looking back it just seems like an honest assessment of the situation.

It's up to the individual whether they like this sort of thing being aired in public - but it doesn't make it incorrect, imo.

Completely agree. People seem to forget that in an interview he's constantly asked questions, such as 'why are you struggling', 'what do you put the results down to', 'are you disappointed not to have any new signings' etc. A lot of people seem to conflate answering those questions with looking for excuses and berating the club, despite the fact that he usually goes out of his way to say how much he enjoys it here, and that he accepts responsibility for the results.

TBH I do think he should have got more out of the squad this season, and think there is a lot of valid criticism that can be had of him. I just find it bizarre/frustrating that we aren't able to have sensible and nuanced discussion of it because it always ends up either the Brendan in or the Brendan out clan who won't see shades of grey,

19 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Strange take after current transfer window? Looks like it was a reason rather than an excuse, no? Or was it just “not cricket” to mention it at all?

My point is that he was beating it like a drum. That's where it became excuses. It was an overly exaggerated reason to cover up his failings.

10 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Out if interest of he finished 10th and won the FA Cup again, would you want him gone still?

As a fan I'd be jubilant if that happened..really I would.

But to answer your question - yes   (Sorry..I just can't stand him. The day he isn't associated with our club can't come quick enough for me)

1 minute ago, BigGibbo said:

My point is that he was beating it like a drum. That's where it became excuses. It was an overly exaggerated reason to cover up his failings.

Was not in the room, so unsure of the question posed, but pointed questions are very common in press conferences. Do not think you would agree with the request for nuance in the criticism of Rodgers (Nor would others) but regardless I prefer to give think there could be reasons for actions made or answers given.

Just now, Guppys Love Child said:

As a fan I'd be jubilant if that happened..really I would.

But to answer your question - yes   (Sorry..I just can't stand him. The day he isn't associated with our club can't come quick enough for me)

Fair enough, got a feeling that could be a while, unless the wheels really come off.

Think Top believe in him more then most of the fan base, would have been easy to pull the trigger a couple of times this season. 

8 minutes ago, BigGibbo said:

We'll just have to park this. It's obvious as anything to me but not implicitly stated as that would be insane.

I'm not going to go through all of the answers again - I don't have time and I'm not being argumentative with you at all, just interested in knowing how you come to some of the conclusions you do. 

But this one above - we're going to park it because even though it's glaringly obvious to you that Rodgers sees us only as a stepping stone to the 'big time', you're unable to give any proof as to what he's done or said that actually shows that?

He's been here 4 years - longest serving only behind pep and klopp now, I believe? He's also said many times he likes it here and has a good relationship with Top. Just those two things alone are surely more evidence to the contrary than you're willing to provide to back up your alternative opinion?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Fair enough, got a feeling that could be a while, unless the wheels really come off.

Think Top believe in him more then most of the fan base, would have been easy to pull the trigger a couple of times this season. 

That's a tough one to call as you've correctly said there were times when the trigger could have been pulled.. maybe it could be different this time as he"s had a 'mini freshen up' this transfer window and shown what we can do after it.

A drop back in the bottom 3 could be the straw that breaks the Camels back who knows ( not that I want to test that theory to see who's correct😀)

And regardless of what you and I think and feel it's still down to Top/ LCFC on whether he is fired or not.

Edited by Guppys Love Child
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

I'm not going to go through all of the answers again - I don't have time and I'm not being argumentative with you at all, just interested in knowing how you come to some of the conclusions you do. 

But this one above - we're going to park it because even though it's glaringly obvious to you that Rodgers sees us only as a stepping stone to the 'big time', you're unable to give any proof as to what he's done or said that actually shows that?

He's been here 4 years - longest serving only behind pep and klopp now, I believe? He's also said many times he likes it here and has a good relationship with Top. Just those two things alone are surely more evidence to the contrary than you're willing to provide to back up your alternative opinion?

Even if he was using us as a stepping stone, why, like any of our players should we be surprised or worried. I wouldn't begrudge anyone being ambitious and trying to get as high as possible in their profession if that's what they want, it's not unreasonable is it? It's just a job, only a clubs supporters usually have an ingrained infinity to their club.

In Rodgers case though I think that boat has sailed, purely and simply because he's just not good enough. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Dawko said:

If he wins us the Premier League next year everyone will want to kiss him.

Is he going to do this before or after he brings peace to the Middle East, cures cancer and reduces fuel bills back to pre-Ukraine levels?

42 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

It's no secret that his ambition is to be in amongst the top 6 and he's taken many opportunities to explain why we're not at that level (and implies that but for him we would be lowly Leicester again).

The ambition is good if he backs it up with performance and remains respectful to us in doing so. Which he does neither of.

He's only still here because he's paid incredibly well to be on a long contract and has not had another opportunity. We're paying him more than any other club outside the top 6 would and none of the so-called big six want him. He subtly pimps himself out every time a Chelsea, Manu or Arsenal job comes around. "Great fans with great history" type stuff.

Like you I don't have time to trawl through history looking for specific quotes and then argue the nuance of them with you and I am just offering my opinion.

1 minute ago, BigGibbo said:

It's no secret that his ambition is to be in amongst the top 6 and he's taken many opportunities to explain why we're not at that level (and implies that but for him we would be lowly Leicester again).

The ambition is good if he backs it up with performance and remains respectful to us in doing so. Which he does neither of.

He's only still here because he's paid incredibly well to be on a long contract and has not had another opportunity. We're paying him more than any other club outside the top 6 would and none of the so-called big six want him. He subtly pimps himself out every time a Chelsea, Manu or Arsenal job comes around. "Great fans with great history" type stuff.

Like you I don't have time to trawl through history looking for specific quotes and then argue the nuance of them with you and I am just offering my opinion.

How has he been disrespectful towards us? True, he’s mealy mouthed and tends to believe too much in his own genius, but I’ve never known him to be disrespectful. 

If he says that we’re punching above our weight when we’re competing against the big six - he’s dead right. You only have to look at the turnover of those clubs against ours to know they’re competing in a completely different market to us in terms of player recruitment. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jobyfox said:

How has he been disrespectful towards us? True, he’s mealy mouthed and tends to believe too much in his own genius, but I’ve never known him to be disrespectful. 

If he says that we’re punching above our weight when we’re competing against the big six - he’s dead right. You only have to look at the turnover of those clubs against ours to know they’re competing in a completely different market to us in terms of player recruitment. 

Our wage bill has been comparable/equal to some of theirs since he joined. 

Even though that is the case, amongst the previously mentioned disrespects equating to publicly saying the club isn't matching his ambition, he has also suggested we as fans expect too much when all we expect is continued improvement/return on investment.