Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

2 hours ago, Lionator said:

One only has to see the mess that Southampton and Leeds are in to realise why getting rid would maybe not have been good. Furthermore he'd walk straight into those jobs.

.. yeah, but other teams have shelved their managers and have been propelled forward!!!

The same questions always come up, who else is out there?

There has been countless lists posted in this forum and most likely if any of them were mentioned,  the people asking the question would not have a clue who they were and what they have achieved. Just because your knowledge is so limited does not mean you can keep using this preposterous argument. 

2 hours ago, Manini said:

There was a discussion on Saturday about the best football we’ve ever played under Rodger’s and I do think this is it for me. Man United in the cup was also brilliant, as was Villa away before we went shit. I watched this game in Sharers bar at St James’ park and there were no end of Geordies going on about how good we were that night. 

March 2019 to mid November 2019 was arguably the best football we’ve played over a consistent period since we came up.

Villa was great but the wheels were already coming off abit. 

We were shit against Everton the week before and in games around that one against Watford and Norwich 

Guest Chocolate Teapot
8 hours ago, Samilktray said:

Don’t remember seeing a single link a year before we appointed him?

You obviously don't follow Alan Nixon then.

Guest Col city fan

I don’t think Brendan Rodgers will suddenly start to mix up how Leicester play. He firmly believes in himself and his tactics. Whether this is extreme self confidence or arrogance, or whatever it is, is open to debate.

I’ve said so many times during his tenure that he’s a real enigma of a football manager. We go from absolutely sublime for a few weeks, onto losing runs and poor performances for the next 6/7 games. It’s bizarre and inexplicable really.

Whether our horrid injury lists have been down to how they are trained or just pure bad luck, is also open to debate.

I honestly think that Rodgers generally epitomises a football manager with ‘no plan B’. He plays a certain style of football and it either works very very well, or teams see through it and we lose. 

51 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I don’t think Brendan Rodgers will suddenly start to mix up how Leicester play. He firmly believes in himself and his tactics. Whether this is extreme self confidence or arrogance, or whatever it is, is open to debate.

I’ve said so many times during his tenure that he’s a real enigma of a football manager. We go from absolutely sublime for a few weeks, onto losing runs and poor performances for the next 6/7 games. It’s bizarre and inexplicable really.

Whether our horrid injury lists have been down to how they are trained or just pure bad luck, is also open to debate.

I honestly think that Rodgers generally epitomises a football manager with ‘no plan B’. He plays a certain style of football and it either works very very well, or teams see through it and we lose. 

He has a plan B,or he wouldn't ,& couldn't prepare for subs...

He's got a plan B, good & bad...

This ideology that fans have of plan B,is a terrace myth..

Maybe world's top 3-4, managers every decade..

They all coach their style,and it's the players not the manager that allows flexibility of movement & set-up...

Rodgers like all others use it,but it's not

Really plan B...just a media pundit  myth in all sports,to make conversation.

Each manager will share their skill sets,and bring their own desires..

Rodgers even at Leicester,both good and bad days has changed things during games ,& periods...

So what are these plans A,B,C--Z.

Push a player forward,back,sideways,replace 3 player and have them using their strength of delivery. How many including Rodgers say "yes he give us something different"

Isn't that a Plan B..

From some fans,waffle & twaddle..

In this last year of football,he simply couldn't get his charges to perform,but

we rarely had Maddison & a quality central defence..mitigating yes,but his taking of responsibility ,wasn't bringing anything...That's all,it was shit with all Plan A & Bs, but it happens....

like Klopps L'pool,difference L'pool could call on a higher quality squad,and fringe players..We had our few star players misfiring,or long period injuries, & time to find form..Maddison took time,Barnes top scorer but long dips in form...Vardy off the Richter scale..

And Nacho selection at anytime must be considered a type of Plan B,which took time to build..because of his own failings.But our one success in our dark days...

Quite rightly you have mentioned ,not just this time,how do we know a new dawn is breaking,but only history will eventually tell us that.

Fk plan B..

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

If you honestly believe he is always going to revert to over-cautious football, I totally understand the antipathy, or at least the wariness. 

If however, it's because he says some crap from time to time and has chapped lips & a notepad, then it is nothing to do with football and everything to do with a personal dislike that bears no relevance to the discussion, and therefore that opinion is just noise without any real meaning.

Probably in FT last 2 years, the most relevant & wisest of posts written..

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

We have had a terrible six yrs of recruitment..

A manager will suggest, might even telephone (if they share a language) players when they knowingly become available, within the rules.

But they no longer are responsible for recruitment, other than saying what 'type' and position of player. I doubt that Rodgers went and scouted & wound in the Dane, the Brazilian, and the Kangaroo - no more than Vestergaard or the others...

But too much is made of it and then come the assumptions, exaggerations and inflammatory rumours from the fanbase.

Glad you stated this . Some media jerk came up with the 'Leicester Way', and half the country believed the hype.

Steve Walsh managed to recruit the core of exceptional players and exceptional team men, but it was never going to be a defined method of continually finding great players while other teams scratted around in the dark, bewildered and envious that City were finding these gems when they couldn't.

What United, Man City and Chelsea do (and to a slightly lesser extent Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs) is to throw money around until they find the 'right stuff'. In doing so, by contravening fair play and morality, they spit in the eyes of every other team trying to assemble a team capable of competing with them.

City were the one team which managed to jump the barrier. And the whole establishment hated our club for it, while the rest of 'football' rejoiced.

Next season and, until Rodgers arrived, it was back to hit-and-miss recruitment and management, although Puel's managership saw an assembly of players that did nearly emulate the M-K-V season.

Rodgers inherited a number of fine transfers and home-grown lads who were and are still capable of taking on the best. But the defence and its frailties were ignored. Bennett, Vestergaard and Bertrand were the nadir of good recruitment and management. Wilf and Cags became demotivated and Mendy was assumed to be not capable of being a first-choice player.

And, win, draw or lose, so will the fans sway in or out of favour of the manager and whichever player is deemed to be, in the space of two consecutive games, either a galactico or a crappo.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gerblod said:

Glad you stated this . Some media jerk came up with the 'Leicester Way', and half the country believed the hype.

Steve Walsh managed to recruit the core of exceptional players and exceptional team men, but it was never going to be a defined method of continually finding great players while other teams scratted around in the dark, bewildered and envious that City were finding these gems when they couldn't.

What United, Man City and Chelsea do (and to a slightly lesser extent Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs) is to throw money around until they find the 'right stuff'. In doing so, by contravening fair play and morality, they spit in the eyes of every other team trying to assemble a team capable of competing with them.

City were the one team which managed to jump the barrier. And the whole establishment hated our club for it, while the rest of 'football' rejoiced.

Next season and, until Rodgers arrived, it was back to hit-and-miss recruitment and management, although Puel's managership saw an assembly of players that did nearly emulate the M-K-V season.

Rodgers inherited a number of fine transfers and home-grown lads who were and are still capable of taking on the best. But the defence and its frailties were ignored. Bennett, Vestergaard and Bertrand were the nadir of good recruitment and management. Wilf and Cags became demotivated and Mendy was assumed to be not capable of being a first-choice player.

And, win, draw or lose, so will the fans sway in or out of favour of the manager and whichever player is deemed to be, in the space of two consecutive games, either a galactico or a crappo.

I think Cags lost his way somewhat..but I do wonder if Ndidis major worry,is not

demotivation,  but injury orientated problems.. From our main stay players he has been with Riccardo the major concern..with Ricarrado sort of clean straight problem,Ndidi 3+seasons of repetitive hits & getting in decent game time,but not enough to find a quantity of form..& he was our central figure...

• Like 1

We have had some terrible managers.  Rodgers isn't one of them.

The bile on here is tiresome.  Is anyone making any new points?  As I have said before: Rodgers is a legendary manager; he should have resigned; he should have been sacked; he hasn't been sacked; we could have worse; be careful of what you wish for; I'm fickle.  *

At this stage, we should get behind him.  Any change should now happen at the end of the season.  I am looking forward to the upcoming games.

*IMO

• Like 2

2 hours ago, majaco said:

We have had some terrible managers.  Rodgers isn't one of them.

The bile on here is tiresome.  Is anyone making any new points?  As I have said before: Rodgers is a legendary manager; he should have resigned; he should have been sacked; he hasn't been sacked; we could have worse; be careful of what you wish for; I'm fickle.  *

At this stage, we should get behind him.  Any change should now happen at the end of the season.  I am looking forward to the upcoming games.

*IMO

Majaco. is magic…

Clever enough to understand it’s all about this season,and this moment in time.

Too many preaching & selling bile as said…

• Thanks 1

On 14/02/2023 at 20:02, filbertway said:

Give me MON any day. I respect managers that build things up and improve the club. Rodgers took a finish product, rinsed it and underachieved by missing out on champions league football twice. The football under Rodgers has been much duller than it's been exciting.

I'll take crosses into the box and actively trying to score then passing around aimlessly at the back till someone makes a mistake or we lump it down the channel to nobody.

Well there is another 25 players involved in this story, they took on his tactics..

What does me is how extreme we go when we win and lose. 4 goals past Spurs, Forest, and Wolves. Yet shit show defeat’s against rubbish like Southampton and Bournemouth. We can look like we could beat anyone in the league and then go looking like relegation candidates within 1 week. As much as I’m pleased with the upturn in results I still think we’ll go on a bad run and then a decent run. It’s not just here Rodgers had a habit of doing it he did it at Liverpool. I still maintain that if plan a doesn’t work for Rodgers he’s clueless what to do to change it. Overall I’m Rodgers out but he’ll see this season out. Better options will be available in the summer although there are still decent available options now but can’t see him going now. Basically we are relying on 3 sides being worse than us this season. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Majaco. is magic…

Clever enough to understand it’s all about this season,and this moment in time.

Too many preaching & selling bile as said…

Thank you.  

I once misjudged your posts but got over it.

• Haha 1

On 14/02/2023 at 21:55, Fox92 said:

Rodgers has won two trophies, one major trophy which we all would have died happy with, you can’t get much more improvement than that.

Missing out on CL football was an underachievement after the season finished, but overall finishing 5th with us is not an underachievement. Nobody expected us to finish top 4/5/6 prior to the season starting, it is such a difficult task considering the strength and resources of the big clubs. We hadn’t finished top 4 since winning the league and have finished top 4 less than 10 times in our entire history. But nowadays, with all the money, it’s much more difficult. Finishing 5th twice, regardless of how long we were in the tip 4 all season, was a great finish and as the next decade passes by you’ll appreciate it because we won’t do it again. 

I think there would have been quite a few Premiership managers that could have achieved a 5th place finish with that squad at that time because it was the 5th best squad in the Premiership at that time. Rodgers hit the minimum we should have reasonably expected and blew 4th twice. There's a hell of a lot of luck involved in winning an FA cup including draw.

• Like 2

On 14/02/2023 at 19:02, filbertway said:

Give me MON any day. I respect managers that build things up and improve the club. Rodgers took a finish product, rinsed it and underachieved by missing out on champions league football twice. The football under Rodgers has been much duller than it's been exciting.

I'll take crosses into the box and actively trying to score then passing around aimlessly at the back till someone makes a mistake or we lump it down the channel to nobody.

I think there's a lot of blue tinted specs here, Rodgers first 18-24 months produced some of the best football city have played.

And MON days were a long time ago and we easily forget the bad and the boring.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, majaco said:

Thank you.  

I once misjudged your posts but got over it.

Ah yes..I was once a misunderstood soul ,but now all are realising my unique talents & wise turn of words…

Another proud moment that secures my iconic FT history..:bounce:

I was once quite normal,but decided to branch out,& prove football insanity does

have a platform,for everyone & makes those everybodies quite envious

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FoxInTheBirstallBox said:

I think there's a lot of blue tinted specs here, Rodgers first 18-24 months produced some of the best football city have played.

And MON days were a long time ago and we easily forget the bad and the boring.

18-24 months is being incredibly generous in my opinion.

First 11-12 months were great to watch and I was absolutely delighted we tied him down to a new long term contract when we did (I'll never make that mistake again. Things can change very quickly). The team played with a high press and we just forced teams into making mistakes and we punished them beautifully.

Since then, aside from one patch Between Dec-Feb 20/21 it's been largely uninspiring and dull. As well as the club regressing in several areas whilst still increasing outgoings on personnel. 

I can overlook performances on the pitch if I feel progress is being made under the manager. At no point in the past 3 years have I felt we were a club that was progressing under Rodgers or even laying the foundations for future success.

Puel played honking and boring football (although he did have Mendy/Ndidi so it's not a surprise) that I detest, but I couldn't hear a bad word said about the man as I appreciated that he was tasked with going in and disbanding an aging and close-knit team whilst trying to lay new foundations that would have us capable of challenging for Europe.

I've just not had that feeling from Rodgers at all. I fully expected him to come in and build on Puel's work. He was supposed to be a superior manager that would take us to the next level. For me, he's ridden on Puel's coat tails while we've plateaued and steadily declined. Ultimately leading to the situation this summer where the club didn't feel comfortable sanctioning incoming transfers.

O'Neil didn't play high press pretty football, but he dragged us out of the second tier and got us into Europe and competitive on a relatively small budget. Leaving the club in an absolutely superb position compared to when he joined.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

I think there would have been quite a few Premiership managers that could have achieved a 5th place finish with that squad at that time because it was the 5th best squad in the Premiership at that time. Rodgers hit the minimum we should have reasonably expected and blew 4th twice. There's a hell of a lot of luck involved in winning an FA cup including draw.

This is the weirdest line, that keeps getting thrown out by our supports. We have to be the only supporters that seem to get off on down playing any achievements we have. Ask Spurs, Newcastle, Leeds, Forest… what they wouldn’t do to be in our position and win what we have.

You can’t say we got lucky with the draw - the lowest team we played was Stoke away, always a tough away day, but one you’d expect to win. We did that 4-0, we then played the team that finished 3rd in the Championship away and had a comfortable win.

We played 2 teams that finished in the champions league spots and two other premier league teams. 
Find me an FA Cup winner in recent years that’s had a tougher run to the final. No non league teams, no non premier league teams at home.

We won the FA Cup on merit and it was a fantastic achievement from Brendan and the lads.

• Like 1