Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

8 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

*we need to get Ward out of the starting XI as a priority. There's no need to wait for the summer, there's a solution to our problem now and that is replacing ward with iversen. Yes, none of us have seen Iversen play outside of the cup games for us, but I'm 95% certain that he's not scared of facing the a shot like Ward is. Trying to save a shot whilst not even facing the ball is truly diabolical at this level.

Iversen being better than Ward is not dependent on Iversen being a particularly good PL level keeper, it's dependent on him being a good championship level keeper, which by all accounts he is. Ward genuinely wouldn't stand out in the championship.

Just looking at these highlights you can see that Iversen at least knows how to close down an attacker and make himself big, he looks good at saving with his legs as well. I am aware that highlights can be deceiving but I would be surprised if you could find similar clips of Ward.

That’s it isn’t it. I think if we had Ward in the Championship we’d be calling for him to be replaced. He is significantly below the current standard required and it’s going to cost a few more points yet just because he is like a competition winner at this level.

In Brendan’s favour having a championship level keeper and a league one keeper to choose from is serious failings from his board. 

34 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

That’s it isn’t it. I think if we had Ward in the Championship we’d be calling for him to be replaced. He is significantly below the current standard required and it’s going to cost a few more points yet just because he is like a competition winner at this level.

In Brendan’s favour having a championship level keeper and a league one keeper to choose from is serious failings from his board. 

I meant that Iversen is at least a good championship level keeper. We haven't seen enough of him yet, he could be a solid PL keeper for all we know.

Preston fans seem to believe that he's in a similar bracket to Pickford and Sam Johnstone out of all the goalkeepers theyve had in recent years. Both are certainly premier league quality.

The thing is is that I dont trust Rodgers judgement on most things, including how he evaluates players, so I have a strong hunch that he has a solid PL level keeper on the bench while we're desperate for some quality between the sticks.

Edited by honeybradger
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, FOXSE said:

Was anyone impressed with iverson's distribution? Looks dreadful to me.

And here lies the issue, the primary job of a goalkeeper is to stop the ball from going in the back of the net, distribution is important for a team that is very much posession based, however I would much prefer a keeper who is solid and a good shot stopper over a keeper who is less than bang average but more competent in his distribution. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

And here lies the issue, the primary job of a goalkeeper is to stop the ball from going in the back of the net, distribution is important for a team that is very much posession based, however I would much prefer a keeper who is solid and a good shot stopper over a keeper who is less than bang average but more competent in his distribution. 

The notion that a goalkeeper needs to be able to pass the ball is complete boll*cks isn’t it. Just look at Allison last night (again) 

The game hasn’t ‘changed’ either, a keepers job is to stop the ball, not be Paul Scholes

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

The notion that a goalkeeper needs to be able to pass the ball is complete boll*cks isn’t it. Just look at Allison last night (again) 

The game hasn’t ‘changed’ either, a keepers job is to stop the ball, not be Paul Scholes

That’s a huge rewrite, the job of a keeper has massively changed. Acting as a semi sweeper is very fashionable and beneficial if it works, but it looks horrific if it doesn’t, as was the case last night 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, gw_leics772 said:

The championship is not inferior to our bench (or the majority of international matches) 

Ward was not on the bench, so are you comparing him to our bench GK? Anyone thinking Iversen is not good enough does not mean they also think Ward is.

1 hour ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

And here lies the problem: everyone wants a good shotstopper until you watch them kick the ball out of play 20 times a game and set up opposition attacks with poor kick outs. This isn't about who to play between iverson and ward, it's if either can cut it.

Edited by FOXSE

46 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Ward was not on the bench, so are you comparing him to our bench GK? Anyone thinking Iversen is not good enough does not mean they also think Ward is.

So why use the fact Iversen was playing in The Championship against him? Ward had played 3 games in a superior division before this season.

14 hours ago, ChrisFilter said:

Most of the issues you cite are about poor recruitment. Can’t lay that one on Rodgers’ door. 

so, it's just coincidence that recruitment is poor wherever he goes? there were some of us warning how bad his recruitment is when he was first linked with the job 4 years ago...

20 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

So why use the fact Iversen was playing in The Championship against him? Ward had played 3 games in a superior division before this season.

I am not using it against him at all, it was just one of the few points of reference we have, all of which are likely irrelevant anyway as the selection of one over the other must surely be based on what is witnessed in training  :dunno:

44 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

I am not using it against him at all, it was just one of the few points of reference we have, all of which are likely irrelevant anyway as the selection of one over the other must surely be based on what is witnessed in training  :dunno:

You did though, you put what the guy who played in an inferior division, so you're using it as a negative against him.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

And against elite strikers in international tournaments/friendlies and qualifying 

He's played less than 30 games for Wales, and lets not make out he's a world beater when he plays for them. Hennessey started at the World Cup over him until his sending off, despite not playing for Forest.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

You did though, you put what the guy who played in an inferior division, so you're using it as a negative against him.

Suppose you could look at it that way, but its true is it not? He played in the championship which is an inferior division to the EPL. What word could I have used that does not have negative undertones?

Would rather start neither, but here we are  :dunno:

10 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

He's played less than 30 games for Wales, and lets not make out he's a world beater when he plays for them. Hennessey started at the World Cup over him until his sending off, despite not playing for Forest.

You were talking about experience to be picked as the number one over Iversen at the start of the season.

That’s 29 games (at the time) more than Iversen at international level including a rather successful Euros.

13 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

You were talking about experience to be picked as the number one over Iversen at the start of the season.

That’s 29 games (at the time) more than Iversen at international level including a rather successful Euros.

Iversen still has more experience regardless, and in club football more importantly. 

23 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Suppose you could look at it that way, but its true is it not? He played in the championship which is an inferior division to the EPL. What word could I have used that does not have negative undertones?

Would rather start neither, but here we are  :dunno:

But it can't be used against him when Ward had only played 3 games, obviously it could now but Ward has hardly shown he's at the required level. Aware you aren't a Ward fan by the way

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HankMarvin said:

And against elite strikers in international tournaments/friendlies and qualifying 

The majority of the teams he has faced with Wales definitely did not have elite strikers

Then the ones where he did play against a team with elite strikers, they lost most of those games

• Like 3