Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

45 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

The majority of the teams he has faced with Wales definitely did not have elite strikers

Then the ones where he did play against a team with elite strikers, they lost most of those games

Its still additional experience, 14 games at international level in 2021 including 2x Belgium, France and Italy irrespective of the results, it Wales after all.

He only lost his place in the Wales team because of a knee Injury and then Page kept faith with Hennessey at the World Cup not because he was dropped as suggested above.

I still think he is shit, but to play as bad as he has and for the younger number two not to get the nod suggests it may not be as clear cut as people think.

When BR job was on the line and Wards poor performances were being picked up by the media, he still didn’t opt for Iversen. 

If Iversen was clearly better, wouldn’t there have been dressing room unrest when we were bottom setting new records for goals conceded?

It’s not like Rogers is a new manager assessing the squad, he has worked with Ward for 4 years day to day.

So the match day performances should come as no surprise yet he still opted for Ward at the start of the season and continues to do so.

3 hours ago, FOXSE said:

And here lies the problem: everyone wants a good shotstopper until you watch them kick the ball out of play 20 times a game and set up opposition attacks with poor kick outs. This isn't about who to play between iverson and ward, it's if either can cut it.

You would hope that the fans that have been taking digs at schmeichel over the few year have learned to bite their tongue. Even the best ball playing keepers such as Ederson and Alisson concede 3-4 goals a season from playing it out the back, it's just the nature of playing the ball around near your goal, it's the worst possible place to lose the ball. If I'm on the opposite team personally I would love for my opponents to play risky passes around their own box.

At the end of the day when you analyse the problems with this Leicester side one of the causes that constantly comes up is our desire to play this controlled possession style of football. This is not a requirement in modern day football, it is a stylistic choice by the manager.

At the end of the day football is a simple game, you try to minimise the opponent's opportunities to score goals whilst trying to maximise your own. Having a terrible shot stopper greatly increases the opponent's ability to score goals. Does having a ball playing goal keeper greatly increase our ability to score goals? I would be surprised if we have scored a goal this season that started from ward passing it from the back. Does having a ball playing goal keeper decrease the opponents ability to score goals? I would say that a large chunk of the goals we've conceded this season have come from us playing out of the back and losing the ball so no.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Additional experience, but he still has less than Iversen. 

What defines experience?

You could play 5 seasons in the lower leagues and not experience the pressure and atmosphere of international football knockout Tournaments. 

Isn’t representing your country  considered the pinnacle of a players career.

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

Argue about Ward and Iversen all day but we need an improvement on both. It's criminal we went into a top flgiht season with those two as a goalkeepers.

The board did NOT buy anyone during the summer. Hopefully they get someone in the next transfer window. 

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

Argue about Ward and Iversen all day but we need an improvement on both. It's criminal we went into a top flgiht season with those two as a goalkeepers.

It was more of a calculated gamble, with Kasper on the decline and costing 7m a year and Ward and Iverson in reserve we had to give them a go at some point.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

He's literally done everything we've asked of him as a club and shone at every opportunity. Not sure what more the lad can do to be honest.

Some very odd/disrespectful posters just claiming he's not good enough because Rodgers fancies Ward and using it as verifiable fact that he's not good enough. 

I've seen Rodgers play golden boy Perez up front 3 games before he gave our actual striker Kelechi a chance in that position.

Agree.

But something in Rodgers's tone has changed when talking about Ward, he seems to be referring to him as the goalkeeper, not by name. 

I think Iversen may get a chance, before long. I got a funny feeling a good game against Blackburn he may keep the shirt. 

10 minutes ago, filbertway said:

He's literally done everything we've asked of him as a club and shone at every opportunity. Not sure what more the lad can do to be honest.

Some very odd/disrespectful posters just claiming he's not good enough because Rodgers fancies Ward and using it as verifiable fact that he's not good enough. 

I've seen Rodgers play golden boy Perez up front 3 games before he gave our actual striker Kelechi a chance in that position.

exactly this! You can’t rule out someone just based on a managers view, nor can you assume he’s better because he’s not playing.  But it’s just frustrating that we won’t get a chance to judge his ability for ourselves. 

I am promising every single one of you that he would be an improvement though.  maybe not perfect but his shot stopping is amazing and would make up for the occasional blundered kick.  by all accounts he’s not been reported as a top 7 keeper but comfortably a lower half prem keeper… which is far better than what we currently have 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

What defines experience?

You could play 5 seasons in the lower leagues and not experience the pressure and atmosphere of international football knockout Tournaments. 

Isn’t representing your country  considered the pinnacle of a players career.

It's also completely different to club football.

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

We haven't even seen Iversen at this level, so not sure you can call it criminal. It's criminal we haven't even given him a go

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

How do we know though? Not even seen Iversen play he could be a top goalkeeper and raved about while on loan in the championship. It’s baffling why Rodgers hasn’t give him a chance 

7 hours ago, FOXSE said:

And here lies the problem: everyone wants a good shotstopper until you watch them kick the ball out of play 20 times a game and set up opposition attacks with poor kick outs. This isn't about who to play between iverson and ward, it's if either can cut it.

I agree - one has proven he can't though so try the other.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

The notion that a goalkeeper needs to be able to pass the ball is complete boll*cks isn’t it. Just look at Allison last night (again) 

The game hasn’t ‘changed’ either, a keepers job is to stop the ball, not be Paul Scholes

Makes me laugh how the ex pros are just accepting it and putting down to the modern game. Opinionated ex pros who stood for no nonsense and would have crucified it.

It really hasn’t made the game any better whatsoever and certainly leads to far more calamitous mistakes.

It’s beyond me why you’d do it or why people clamor to see it, it really is.

Certainly every frigging time - then claim the alternative (of which there are many ways, it’s not simply the alternative has been ‘found out’)

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

It was more of a calculated gamble, with Kasper on the decline and costing 7m a year and Ward and Iverson in reserve we had to give them a go at some point.

Board must have known Kasper was leaving. He spoke about it before. The fact they didn't act on that was stupid and I'm talking acting in the years before Kasper left.

Unless they all believe Ward is good enough.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1