Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

16 hours ago, Corky said:

I'm confused. Are performances or results most important? Statistically we played better today than last week when we won but were "awful and outplayed" by Brentford in a lucky win.

I thought people could accept having a go if we lost?

Im a performance enjoyed. The 2nd half was good, but Arsenal had stopped pressing us by then and were just looking to sit deep and counter attack us.

Once again we came out of the blocks looking like Rodgers had been singing the team lullabies before kick off.

It happens almost every week. Crqp first half and then improved second half where we play with tempo and players that should have started. 

Spartak moscow first half I was delighted as we were looking good and conceded a couple of unfortunate goals.

Were an awful first half team now and its only due to our individual quality that we dont find ourselves behind more often.

13 hours ago, Lako42 said:

Arsenal really weren't pressing us, that's what made our pedestrian approach so infuriating 

...they didn't have to press...they just ran rings around us straight from the kick off!!!

We couldn't get near them, and they utilised the spaces well and was a threat all over the pitch.

We are not the best at early morning kick offs and do bring a kind of lethargy to our game, which may be down to a change in routine that needs to be looked at.

Edited by sacreblueits442

22 minutes ago, Blue-fox said:

Can’t believe he said in the interview after the game that defending set pieces hasn’t been a problem before. It’s seems to have been a problem the entire time he’s been here! The Mercury reported it as Rodgers comments baffles fans or something along those lines 

I saw that and thought what the **** his in on.its been a problem and I suggest he sacks some off his coaches and gets some who knew how to defend because this bunch of morons have not got a clue.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, trabuch said:

It is. The players were much better when we played a system that suited them though.

Systems don't cause you to miss place passes or lose 50/50s, follow your runners or win the first contact at corners.

Same system saw us win 3 games in a row.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pliskin said:

Not everyone always thinks the same, I personally was frustrated with elements of his game yesterday, basic movement into space, is something he regularly doesn’t do. He has this habit of standing and almost waiting for the ball to be played over the top for him to run onto. When quite often there is a gap left between his marker and the next defender, which he easily has the pace and strength to make a run into. 

I think part of this is Rodgers and the coaches instructions. I too often get frustrated with the positions he takes up but Rodgers has said on a number of occasions that they want Barnes to sit high up and peg the opposition back but I do wonder if they could still do this much better. I watched him like a hawk when he came on yesterday as I was sat near his side and on the ball, teams absolutely shit it but he could and should get on the ball more, and when he's on form he does. 

He was staying wide left high up until we got the ball in Tielemans/Maddison central areas and then he seemed to tuck in close to the defence where the ball in to him then became less of an option, it was odd.

Was still a huge difference in the way we took it to them 2nd half. We need to get him back cobfident/determined/angry and we're a much better team for it.

1 minute ago, coolhandfox said:

Systems don't cause you to miss place passes or lose 50/50s, follow your runners or win the first contact at corners.

Same system saw us win 3 games in a row.

The system and its lack of effectiveness in a given match can lead to all of those things. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

The system and its lack of effectiveness in a given match can lead to all of those things. 

Yes ever header I lost and misplace pass I've made playing football is down to the system not me!

Saturday was nothing to do with system, is was down to not dong the basics will enough. 

Formation are important but are not alway the reason an side wins or lose.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Yes ever header I lost and misplace pass I've made playing football is down to the system not me!

Saturday was nothing to do with system, is was down to not dong the basics will enough. 

Formation are important but are not alway the reason an side wins or lose.

I never said they are always the reason. 

Things aren't always black and white, there are crossovers in cause of many things. 

The way we lined up yesterday was not effective against the way Arsenal approached thre game. It lead to us struggling to have any foothold in the game and essentially made the right hand side completely useless. 

This adds pressure, it makes every aspect of the game harder and in turn leads to the things you mentioned go missing. 

We were completely overrun out wide in the 1st half, this means the wide players can't offer anything in terms of support to the central players and any link up becomes impossible. 

It was crying out for 442 of 4411 at half time and that's what the manager did, so he clearly thought the shape was having a negative effect on our play. 

Edited by Lako42

Agree that the same system worked in previous games. However, yesterday with that system we had only 2 out of 5 nailed on first choice starters available at the back, but could only pick 2 up front when all 3 strikers and the 2 wingers were on form. The question is whether it was the best use of the players available. By half time it had been addressed.

I think we should not underestimate the absence of Wilf in the middle yesterday and a bit of quality in the opposition including the goalkeeper

I'm sure Brendan will turn it around.

2 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...has been a feature for a long time with us!!!

The amount of times we have broke against teams and fail to find the final pass, which is overhit, underhit.wayward or failing to pick out the run of a teammate in a more suitable position. We are also snatching at chances, as if another one may never come our way.

We have spent a lot of coaching hours developing these players, and they still lack the ability to routinely do the right thing in advantageous situations, and this can only improve with a change of personnel.

We either find the player with the right mentality (as per Rodgers "winners") or we fork out for ready made quality.

Do they all lack ability or, alternatively, could the coaches not all be what they're cracked up to be. We've quite a number of international players mixed with youngsters, they can't all lack quality or the right mentality.

Are for example our youngsters being over-coached and following orders so rigidly they ignore their natural footballing instincts? 

Are players like Ricardo and Castagne being asked to play in either unfamiliar or ill suited positions too often?

We know the parts of his game that Tielemans excels at but, in the at times excessive defensive duties role he's asked to play, are we getting the best out of him?

For all the coaching hours now that Kolo Toure has had with our defence for set peices, how successful do we think he's been? According to Rodgers “It’s never been an issue for us in our time here, but certainly we need to improve on it.” Really? How good a coach is Kolo Toure?

We never used to be known as a tippy tappy side to side ponderous dirge of a side, did all our new signings bring that aspect of the game with them or has it been coached?

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Easy to blame the manager.

Players need to take some responsibility.

First 20 minutes mistake after mistake.

Yes, because he's the manager. He's to blame. If he wasn't then we wouldn't have a manager, we'd just send 11 players out.

First goal we conceded yet another set piece. How does he not see this is an issue. We don't even look like we set up right for defending corners. Three players at the near post doing nothing. 

• Like 1

Rare you'll see Arsenal "bully" teams but that's exactly what we got for 30 mins. Astonishing to watch as we had no response to it. 

Second half much better and with a goal back who knows what might have been. Rodgers has to address this set piece problem and goals conceded, we can't keep relying on needing 3 goals to have a chance of winning the game. 

3 minutes ago, fox in the sox said:

Don’t forget that Arsenal’s squad for the match was double the cost of ours. It’s easy to say we must get off to a more attacking start, but when the opposition has got better players it is much more difficult thing to actually do.

But Arsenal do not have better players than us, regardless of how much they have spent. Their best two players yesterday were from their academy. 

Smith Rowe and Saka I would take every day. Smith Rowe does everything Maddison should do but doesdn't - pick up the ball and drive with it - I like seeing players do this (Grealish another who has always been so good at it). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Yes, because he's the manager. He's to blame. If he wasn't then we wouldn't have a manager, we'd just send 11 players out.

First goal we conceded yet another set piece. How does he not see this is an issue. We don't even look like we set up right for defending corners. Three players at the near post doing nothing. 

Do you think he told them to do nothing? 

1 minute ago, coolhandfox said:

Do you think he told them to do nothing? 

He's the manager. Him (and his team) set the routines up. Players must be following that. Are you now suggesting the players do not listen?

It's not even an isolated incident. We keep conceding from corners so how we defend them must be wrong and that's down to the manager. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fox in the sox said:

Don’t forget that Arsenal’s squad for the match was double the cost of ours. It’s easy to say we must get off to a more attacking start, but when the opposition has got better players it is much more difficult thing to actually do.

.  Prior to this game taking place, we had posters saying non of their players would get into our team!!!

Not going to go into the cost of the individual teams, I am not sure it is relevant. If you put Rodgers in charge of Pep's Barcelona you would not get the same results.

Arsenal got their tactics right, but we failed to adjust early enough and the problem became worse.

There are times when playing a midfield three is appropriate in order to get control of games. You also need to do your homework as to the need for a specific formation for an upcoming game.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gazza M said:

He is a stubborn mule. The reason the set piece problem hasn't been resolved is because he believes his way is right and it will click. 3 years later and we are still waiting when clear as day we need to go to man marking and get our keeper off his line when needed to come and deal with it. 

When you get a donkey like Toure leading the defense training , any surprises? The guy is a joka playing coaching in the background 

1 hour ago, Blanchflower78 said:

Rare you'll see Arsenal "bully" teams but that's exactly what we got for 30 mins. Astonishing to watch as we had no response to it. 

Second half much better and with a goal back who knows what might have been. Rodgers has to address this set piece problem and goals conceded, we can't keep relying on needing 3 goals to have a chance of winning the game. 

That’s what upset me with the goal we conceded from the corner, when Arsenal are doing you at corners, then you know you have a very serious issue!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Silver surfer 1 said:

When you get a donkey like Toure leading the defense training , any surprises? The guy is a joka playing coaching in the background 

Kolo Toure has played and started for 3 of the biggest clubs in this country. He’s played in a CL final and Europa League final as well as acquiring a number of international caps during the Ivory Coast golden generation. If that’s a donkey, where do I sign up!

Just now, Mickyblueeyes said:

Kolo Toure has played and started for 3 of the biggest clubs in this country. He’s played in a CL final and Europa League final as well as acquiring a number of international caps during the Ivory Coast golden generation. If that’s a donkey, where do I sign up!

Doesn't make him a good coach.

1 hour ago, fox in the sox said:

Just because it's double the cost doesn't mean it's got better players, they've bought some right dross in the past. When all fit, would you swap any of their back for ours? Look through the rest of their team, not many I'd replace.

Also think 2015/16, Manchester City 350m v Leicester City 21.5m? It's not what you've got, it's what you do with it as they say.

• Like 1