Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

Guest StevieLynex
Just now, StanSP said:

It's naive to solely blame Rodgers.

It's naive to solely blame players.

It's a mixture of both. It's also quite lazy just to say it's always the manager.

What responsibility does he take when he's paid £8m a year. Isn't he one of the highest paid managers in the Premier League?

Just now, StevieLynex said:

What responsibility does he take when he's paid £8m a year. Isn't he one of the highest paid managers in the Premier League?

But he does take responsibility? 

Like I said, it's not always his fault. Some players have to take responsibility, especially if you're bringing money into it. A lot of players have underperformed and been unable to do a lot of basics this season. A lot of players have underperformed and they perhaps need to look at themselves about how they can work their way back in to consistency.

12 minutes ago, Always Next Year said:

With so many top jobs around his he pushing to get sacked rather than be seen to walk, his he also trying to keep everyone happy as he continues to swap players around. How can a team that was basically the same team that beat Man U be a complete shambles for the majority of the first half, it wasn’t until Barnes came on that we started to attack them, but as usual the game was already lost.

Something to do with the opposition We simply can't cope with any team that has a well organised press. Been the same for months now. Give us time and space to play and we're as good as most but close us down and make us play through teams and we've basically not got a clue most times. Essentially because we haven't got the players to do it and because we mostly move the ball forwards too slowly.

• Like 2

Guest StevieLynex
5 minutes ago, StanSP said:

But he does take responsibility? 

Like I said, it's not always his fault. Some players have to take responsibility, especially if you're bringing money into it. A lot of players have underperformed and been unable to do a lot of basics this season. A lot of players have underperformed and they perhaps need to look at themselves about how they can work their way back in to consistency.

Part of being a manager is to motivate your players. Everyone has a view of BR as being a 'great man manager', but is he really compared to the likes of O'Neill and Ranieri?

22 minutes ago, reynard said:

Something to do with the opposition We simply can't cope with any team that has a well organised press. Been the same for months now. Give us time and space to play and we're as good as most but close us down and make us play through teams and we've basically not got a clue most times. Essentially because we haven't got the players to do it and because we mostly move the ball forwards too slowly.

In a nutshell !

16 minutes ago, StevieLynex said:

Part of being a manager is to motivate your players. Everyone has a view of BR as being a 'great man manager', but is he really compared to the likes of O'Neill and Ranieri?

Part of being a great man manager is to understand how to motivate an individual but to understand that you need to understand what motivation is.
Motivation is not to shout and ball like maybe a Stuart Pearse or Roy Keane type with constant threats of being dropped but basically a person's own drive to achieve something, like winning an award MotM etc or completing something on the field that they have been shown during training . The players don't need him to motivate them but rather to set the stage by empowering them to motivate themselves. If he gets this, he’ll be in a better position to structure the work environment to engage, excite, incentivise, and retain the players he wants.

Probably why The Special 1 didn’t last at Spurs or Man U

17 minutes ago, MrSpaM said:

He won't last the season if we keep playing how we are

He will. I honestly think his position is probably the most secure in the PL. Only way he goes is if we're in the bottom 3 for a sustained period. Rightly so, too.

• Like 2

Guest StevieLynex
6 minutes ago, Tielemans63 said:

He will. I honestly think his position is probably the most secure in the PL. Only way he goes is if we're in the bottom 3 for a sustained period. Rightly so, too.

Or if someone - Spuds/Manure - come in for him. He'll be off like a shot

Just now, StevieLynex said:

Possibly. I'm not so sure he'd leave us for Spurs, he would for United but I really don't see them offering it to an ex-Liverpool manager but then I thought that when Benitez was first linked with Everton!

3 minutes ago, StevieLynex said:

I have no doubt he could've had the Spurs job in the summer if he actually wanted it, they will have also made some contact with him about it but he still stayed and very publically said he wouldn't got to them

Man City/Man Utd are a completely different offer

1 hour ago, Always Next Year said:

With so many top jobs around his he pushing to get sacked rather than be seen to walk, his he also trying to keep everyone happy as he continues to swap players around. How can a team that was basically the same team that beat Man U be a complete shambles for the majority of the first half, it wasn’t until Barnes came on that we started to attack them, but as usual the game was already lost.

Firstly, I don't think Man United would be remotely interested in him despite all the speculation because I don't think there's anything just yet, in Rodgers cv to suggest he's either good enough or has the gravitas of an elite manager to manage or get the respect of big players. There's also a big difference between the media love in for Rodgers and the more realistic business eyes of United's clubs owners. They've already made the mistake of following the traditional or sentimental mould of hiring 'one of their own' whose experience of managing Molde and Cardiff just doesn't cut the mustard. I personally can't see past Zidane for a number of reasons. If given the choice, who would you pick as our manager?

Secondly and quite astutely, I don't think Rodgers would leave for a club where he thinks he'd stand a reasonable chance of failure because he'll get one chance only for a big club having already been seen as a failure at one but supposedly grown as a manager and reinvented himself since then. We, with our set up and squad at the time, were a very low risk choice for him. He'd have to be a pretty useless plank not to get some sort of tune out of us with the tools he was given just like at Celtic and, the nature of the media and pseudo experts if it goes wrong would still be that it was little old Leicester City's fault and not his, partly because they've all bigged him up so much, if they didn't, they'd lose face (a bit like they did when we won the Premiership).

As for keeping players happy by swapping players round, I don't see proper elite managers like Tuchel or Guardiola having any such inhibitions. Tuchel took a semi struggling Chelsea side and with the same players won the Champions League, how did that happen? He didn't do it by keeping players happy because a few had their noses put out of joint. I would say he did it with tactics that suited the players he had at his disposal, discipline, hard work and the command of respect of a man with a certain gravitas and aura about him. Whether Rodgers is good enough for what we at Leicester can really expect is one thing, but compared to a manager with such attributes like Tuchel for a really big club, I think he's years behind and unlikely to change his ways to get to that level. 

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Not what I said, don't get rattled.

No it pretty much is. 

You are saying very clearly that unless people mention that they don't agree with the system before kickoff they shouldn't voice an opinion on it afterwards. 

It's very silly

3 hours ago, StevieLynex said:

Both of those other managers you quoted have gone on horrendous runs with this very club, one nearly got us relegated. Does that mean they no longer can man manage at all? 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Both of those other managers you quoted have gone on horrendous runs with this very club, one nearly got us relegated. Does that mean they no longer can man manage at all? 

Neither though had the benefit of even a remotely stella squad of players to work with compared with Rodgers. 

Do you think Rodgers would have jumped ship at Celtic to inherit what Shakespeare or Puel did? Do you think he'd have faired any better?

10 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Neither though had the benefit of even a remotely stella squad of players to work with compared with Rodgers. 

Do you think Rodgers would have jumped ship at Celtic to inherit what Shakespeare or Puel did? Do you think he'd have faired any better?

I wouldn't say the squad was that good when Rodgers joined, the main XI was and he immediately turned them in to a top 6 sort of side and then we've built on that over the next 2 full seasons. Although some of the signings haven't been successes we've added to the squad quality massively.

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I don't think he's that stubborn, there's been many things he's switched up that go against his preferred style and principle, look at going to 2 up top and 3 at the back or dropping off and going direct vs the big 6 last season where we were phenomenal. What he does seem to have though is a couple of glaring weaknesses/blind spots/achilles heels that cloud him. 

....you get the impression that circumstances forces his hand, as opposed to any real clarity in his thinking!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BKLFox said:

Part of being a great man manager is to understand how to motivate an individual but to understand that you need to understand what motivation is.
Motivation is not to shout and ball like maybe a Stuart Pearse or Roy Keane type with constant threats of being dropped but basically a person's own drive to achieve something, like winning an award MotM etc or completing something on the field that they have been shown during training . The players don't need him to motivate them but rather to set the stage by empowering them to motivate themselves. If he gets this, he’ll be in a better position to structure the work environment to engage, excite, incentivise, and retain the players he wants.

Probably why The Special 1 didn’t last at Spurs or Man U

Yet at United with lesser players than Ole has now, he still managed a Premiership 2nd place, and Europa League, EFL and Charity Shield trophies. He also got Spurs to a cup final. Both teams had various player problems. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....you get the impression that circumstances forces his hand, as opposed to any real clarity in his thinking!!!

Except for how we approached the big 6 last season, his pride took a battering in 19/20 when we were taken apart by them several times. He said maybe he would have to put aside his philosophy as it wasn't working and low and behold he did and we beat everyone.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, surrifox said:

BR is a name that comes up as a genuine candidate every time some of the biggest clubs in the world have a managerial vacancy and who has knocked back firm offers from Spurs and ( possibly) Arsenal yet FT ers write about him as if he was Pulis or Warnock and have a faraway look in their eyes at the prospect of outing him and getting Potter in . Maybe time to take a break from the Internet . 

I think most people in football respect Rodgers as a very knowledgable and intelligent coach. He has been closely observing the game for getting on for thirty years. Sometimes though the way a match progresses transcends sheer brain power. Pearson and Ranieri were nowhere near his standard tactically but seem to me at least, better motivators. I have always thought a match captain , who can drive a team on from the thick of the action would help us. That requires Kasper to step down of course. Even I was surprised though when he made Hamza the captain the other night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lako42 said:

No it pretty much is. 

You are saying very clearly that unless people mention that they don't agree with the system before kickoff they shouldn't voice an opinion on it afterwards. 

It's very silly

No I'm saying criticising the manager for picking the wrong system is easy with hindsight.

When the majority of us would have picked the same system and personal pre kick off.

• Like 1