Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

27 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

I think most people in football respect Rodgers as a very knowledgable and intelligent coach. He has been closely observing the game for getting on for thirty years. Sometimes though the way a match progresses transcends sheer brain power. Pearson and Ranieri were nowhere near his standard tactically but seem to me at least, better motivators. .I have always thought a match captain , who can drive a team on from the thick of the action would help us That requires Kasper to step down of course. Even I was surprised though when he made Hamza the captain the other night.

...we haven't anyone in the team that can do that!!!

9 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...we haven't anyone in the team that can do that!!!

You are probably right , the only loud mouthed, bossy player we have,on the pitch that is, is Ryan Bertrand and he is out of favour. Fuchsy was a real driver when he played but those days are gone. I did notice that Birmingham made Deeney captain straight away knowing his leadership qualities.

Edited by An Sionnach

56 minutes ago, surrifox said:

BR is a name that comes up as a genuine candidate every time some of the biggest clubs in the world have a managerial vacancy and who has knocked back firm offers from Spurs and ( possibly) Arsenal yet FT ers write about him as if he was Pulis or Warnock and have a faraway look in their eyes at the prospect of outing him and getting Potter in . Maybe time to take a break from the Internet . 

Maddison has been linked with Man United, Arsenal and Chelsea, (and im fairly sure he's had a few offers) but not many on here would disagree he's been struggling in recent months to perform at the level that we require. Brendan is a Maddison level manager, looks promising in spells and sometimes looks like he could be top class, but he's unable to tie it all together consistently and maintain the level we all know he can reach. Consistency is what separates world class (de bruyne, klopp, salah, pep, vardy) and promising (maddison, rodgers, barnes, soyuncu, pochetino), and rodgers is definitely in that inconsistent bracket and that is why he would not get any success at the top level competing for trophies.

• Like 1

Have we ever been good at set pieces regardless of manager?

I remember we used to get 15+ corners a game wasn’t Rodgers but not to far back probably either Ranieri or Nigel and didn’t score from a single 1 then despite giving the opposition a Brentford style hammering we would concede on their 1 and only corner.

6 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

I remember we used to get 15+ corners a game wasn’t Rodgers but not to far back probably either Ranieri or Nigel and didn’t score from a single 1 then despite giving the opposition a Brentford style hammering we would concede on their 1 and only corner.

....I always felt that there was a possibility to score in the Taggert, Walsh, Elliott, Ferdinand, Deane and Nugent era!!!

I have no confidence that anything will come from a corner, as opposed to being a springboard to a counter by the opposition. Not sure why we continue to put in airborne crosses into the box from outwide as we are not a team adept at getting our heads on to balls played into the box.

The art of heading the ball is not something it seems we spend too much time looking at in the training manual.

• Like 2

I personally think rodgers is the best manager for this club and we’re in such better shape as a whole since his arrival but can’t believe his comments about set pieces not being a problem until now, he does come out with some utter bullshit at times! It’s really hard to 100% believe in him when he doesn’t own his shit

• Like 2

1 hour ago, surrifox said:

BR is a name that comes up as a genuine candidate every time some of the biggest clubs in the world have a managerial vacancy and who has knocked back firm offers from Spurs and ( possibly) Arsenal yet FT ers write about him as if he was Pulis or Warnock and have a faraway look in their eyes at the prospect of outing him and getting Potter in . Maybe time to take a break from the Internet . 

Brendan 10/1 odds on to become the next prime minster lol

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

I think most people in football respect Rodgers as a very knowledgable and intelligent coach. He has been closely observing the game for getting on for thirty years. Sometimes though the way a match progresses transcends sheer brain power. Pearson and Ranieri were nowhere near his standard tactically but seem to me at least, better motivators. I have always thought a match captain , who can drive a team on from the thick of the action would help us. That requires Kasper to step down of course. Even I was surprised though when he made Hamza the captain the other night.

I don't see how you come to the conclusion that Ranieri or NP were nowhere near his level tactically albeit I may think the latter would be pretty even. Whilst I think Rodgers has some undeniably very good points, I hardly think his match day tactics are some of them, in fact I think that they are his weakest attributes. 

I hardly think that anything he's achieved thus far in his career compares even vaguely to that of Ranieri who masterminded a Premiership title win with far less than Rodgers has at his disposal now.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

I remember under Ranieri when we won the league he’d leave Vardy and Mahrez up front so the opposition had to have at least 3 defending. Maybe we should try this. Just think we should try this and see how it goes. 

I absolutely hate seeing Vardy defending corners. Atleast a couple corners in every game get cleared quickly and we have no one anywhere near the half way line to potentially make a break.  

Edited by Nobbyburton
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Nobbyburton said:

I absolutely hate seeing Vardy defending corners. Atleast a couple corners in every game get cleared quickly and we have no one anywhere near the half way line to potentially make a break.  

Yes, a pet hate of mine too! When Ranieri used to leave Vardy and Marhez up near the halfway line, it used to cause much consternation in opposition managers minds because one good ball over the top left them exposed to our greatest assets. Consequently we saw at least three of their players left behind to monitor them.

So currently, are we really achieving anything with any great defensive qualities the likes of Vardy, Iheanacho, Daka or Barnes for example could possibly offer or, could their strength and pace be similarly employed and take a bit of pressure off us at the back and potentially offer a little bit more pressure on the opposition. So ... in this particular instance, do we favour Ranieri tactics or those of Rodgers? I know which I prefer because at the moment it seems more of a panicked free for all rather than a coherent plan at set peices.

Guest StevieLynex
2 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

I think most people in football respect Rodgers as a very knowledgable and intelligent coach. He has been closely observing the game for getting on for thirty years. Sometimes though the way a match progresses transcends sheer brain power. Pearson and Ranieri were nowhere near his standard tactically but seem to me at least, better motivators. I have always thought a match captain , who can drive a team on from the thick of the action would help us. That requires Kasper to step down of course. Even I was surprised though when he made Hamza the captain the other night.

BR a better tactician than Claudio - you must be joking. How many Premier League titles has BR won? 

What I get from all this is that  although most of us respect Rodgers for his undeniable football knowledge , he will never really be taken to the supporters hearts like Gillies, Bloomfield, O'Neil or Ranieri. As long as he gets the results he will be supported but that would soon disappear if we loose a few in row.

My largest problem with Rodgers, is what I would refer to as the 'Rodgers myth', the fact the media widely consider him to play 'Good football' or the fact that he's supposed to be very good at 'Improving players'.

I watch West Ham today, and they're so much better coached than us.

They have a bit of everything about them, the pace/directness/aerial threat of Antonio, the legs/creativity of Bowen/Benrahma/Fornals, the defensive ability and physicality of Rice/Soucek.

I watch us, and I don't see a large enough increase in performances from us, over 3 years, that suggests Rodgers has drastically improved upon Puel.

The fact we're just as poor at defending set pieces as when he arrived years ago, if not arguably worse, is not the sign of 'good coaching'. 

More than anything else, and it's looked like this for 12 months, is that we look unable to compete physically with almost all the league.

And I'm not just talking about being 'physical like Burnley', I'm talking about our ability to actually get around the pitch.

Tielemans/Maddison/Ricardo/Castagne/Soyuncu all look slower and less physically able the longer Rodgers has spent working with them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BKLFox said:

I think when we had Walsh, Elliott and Taggart going up for corners there was always a sense of anticipation something could happen against any opposition. Likewise at our own end, anything in the air was ours. Whether the statistics from set peices would back that up or whether it's just blue tinted glasses I don't know. We certainly attacked the ball with a lot more aggression! Those three make Vestergaard look like a big baby. 😳 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

What I get from all this is that  although most of us respect Rodgers for his undeniable football knowledge , he will never really be taken to the supporters hearts like Gillies, Bloomfield, O'Neil or Ranieri. As long as he gets the results he will be supported but that would soon disappear if we loose a few in row.

Erm, Pearson? Also FA Cup and consecutive European campaigns?

2 hours ago, sammy82 said:

I personally think rodgers is the best manager for this club and we’re in such better shape as a whole since his arrival but can’t believe his comments about set pieces not being a problem until now, he does come out with some utter bullshit at times! It’s really hard to 100% believe in him when he doesn’t own his shit

If he came out and said we were rubbish at set pieces it might not really help. I think he has just picked a poor set of words to express a difficult issue for him.

The amount of misdirection football managers use often reaches Johnsonian levels after a bad result.

2 hours ago, sammy82 said:

Fergi...Pep,Klopp, Mourhino.etc top managers

Also come out with crap...& BS...

Not one is a trained quality speaker,

Like all you Bozos..and me we/some are qualified in our proffesions,but We ain't speakers,we all spout shit.

Especially on football, more than any,

Sporting pastime..many just can't look in the mirror - admit what jerk that reflects back to them...It gets worse when a group of football mates, look in the same & different mirrors..

Which puts fans more in the hot seat,because they stupidly over xx- years, can't cut out their own crap analyse..,FT especially can't pick a 

Player, let alone a manager..

• Like 1

The problem with being poor at defending set peices is that opposition teams - especially ones who know they're going to have to bide their time against us, will do a lot of work on them to exploit us further.

This then reenforces the notion of us being poor at set peices, the players get nervous and then the next team come along and do the same.

It's a horrible cycle that can only be broken by being statistically consistent at defending them over time so opponents no longer see it as a glaring weakness to exploit.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, StanSP said:

It's naive to solely blame Rodgers.

It's naive to solely blame players.

It's a mixture of both. It's also quite lazy just to say it's always the manager.

The man at the top always has to ultimately take the blame. It's his managerial responsibility to get things beneath him working smoothly.

That's exactly why you frequently see a manager getting sacked because he's "lost the changing room".

• Like 1