Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

Guest Chocolate Teapot
6 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

A lot of people use BR's wages as a stick to beat him with.

Of course he's very well paid but I suspect the top ten managers in the Premier League are all very well paid.

There are reasons to criticise him, as with any manager, but I think the issue of his wages can be at times a little irrelevant.

If he was on half the money, for example, he might be easier to prise out for other clubs and people would be screaming: Why didn't we get him on a better, more secure deal?

Exactly.

The fact is he's paid that much because someone else would happily pay something very close to that. For all the stick he takes after we lose I'm yet to hear a logical choice who'd get anywhere near to where he's taken us.

He's also shown us a tremendous amount of loyalty in his time here but doesn't seem to get any credit for that...

9 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

I think when we had Walsh, Elliott and Taggart going up for corners there was always a sense of anticipation something could happen against any opposition. Likewise at our own end, anything in the air was ours. Whether the statistics from set peices would back that up or whether it's just blue tinted glasses I don't know. We certainly attacked the ball with a lot more aggression! Those three make Vestergaard look like a big baby. 😳 

When Elliott first signed we looked like scoring from every corner.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, winteriscoming said:

I remember under Ranieri when we won the league he’d leave Vardy and Mahrez up front so the opposition had to have at least 3 defending. Maybe we should try this. Just think we should try this and see how it goes. 

I'm amazed and disappointed that he hasn't given that a go.  I'm surprised Vardy hasn't suggested it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FoxyLeon said:

Tielemans/Maddison/Ricardo/Castagne/Soyuncu all look slower and less physically able the longer Rodgers has spent working with them.

That's an interesting proposition/observation that's never struck me before.  Is there any truth in it, I wonder?  I can't work out how, revisting our matches and following the next ones more closely, I can possibly assess that.  Intriguing.

We certainly do seem to be slower to second balls in more games than not, though.  Maybe part of our problem is simply that we're rarely working as a smooth machine at the moment and that disjoints our anticipation of the path of the ball (e.g. inaccurate passes) and slows our movements.

8 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Fergi...Pep,Klopp, Mourhino.etc top managers

Also come out with crap...& BS...

Not one is a trained quality speaker,

Like all you Bozos..and me we/some are qualified in our proffesions,but We ain't speakers,we all spout shit.

Especially on football, more than any,

Sporting pastime..many just can't look in the mirror - admit what jerk that reflects back to them...It gets worse when a group of football mates, look in the same & different mirrors..

Which puts fans more in the hot seat,because they stupidly over xx- years, can't cut out their own crap analyse..,FT especially can't pick a 

Player, let alone a manager..

I get what you’re saying but you don’t have to be a brain scientist to see we’ve got a real problem defending set pieces, I personally love how far we’ve come along during Rodgers time here, it’s just infuriating watching every other team have a field day in our box for a while now and nothing is really changing. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Erm, Pearson? Also FA Cup and consecutive European campaigns?

Pearson brought us up from the lowest point in our history, had only one season at Prem level when he produced the great escape, and left us an organisation which was the springboard for winning the Prem the next season.  Don't knock it :) :scarf:

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, deep blue said:

Pearson brought us up from the lowest point in our history, had only one season at Prem level when he produced the great escape, and left us an organisation which was the springboard for winning the Prem the next season.  Don't knock it :) :scarf:

Pearson gave us all our pride back after years of heartbreak, I hadn’t felt that close to my club since O’Neil, I will always be greatful for his work here

• Like 3

This is a huge week for him. Thursdays game was always a must win but had we won on Saturday and then we slipped up in the EL which is on a knife edge then it wouldn't be quite as bad as we'd be saying that we're back in a decent position in the league to focus on. Now we are back to feeling very out of sorts and inconsistent and we may have to temper our expectations. It will take something very seismic for us to navigate through this and have what we would consider a successful season based on what we've become accustomed to under Rodgers.

Get that win by any means possible on Thursday please Brendan. 

• Like 2

We are poor at set pieces cos we believe in zonal marking which is shite.  Added to the fact we never leave anyone up front when the opposition has a corner leaves us with no outball if we regain possession quickly.  I do wish at corners when the opposition, has one, we   leave Vardy up front this would make opposing teams leave at least one or two defenders back hence less men in the box.

Another thing that gripes me why dont we have anyone on the posts when the opposition has a corner?  If that had been the case Sat Arsenal first would have been cleared?

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

This is a huge week for him. Thursdays game was always a must win but had we won on Saturday and then we slipped up in the EL which is on a knife edge then it wouldn't be quite as bad as we'd be saying that we're back in a decent position in the league to focus on. Now we are back to feeling very out of sorts and inconsistent and we may have to temper our expectations. It will take something very seismic for us to navigate through this and have what we would consider a successful season based on what we've become accustomed to under Rodgers.

Get that win by any means possible on Thursday please Brendan. 

I genuinely think we’re in a pickle. I have no idea what our boys are coached, but basic stuff seems to elude us. Defence is a shambles. Set pieces a joke. Intensity is lacking. 

People go on about Ole pulling results out of the bag when he needs them. Brendan is pretty much doing the same. We’re papering over glaring cracks that shouldn’t be there. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Collymore said:

The problem with being poor at defending set peices is that opposition teams - especially ones who know they're going to have to bide their time against us, will do a lot of work on them to exploit us further.

This then reenforces the notion of us being poor at set peices, the players get nervous and then the next team come along and do the same.

It's a horrible cycle that can only be broken by being statistically consistent at defending them over time so opponents no longer see it as a glaring weakness to exploit.

.. we are just poor at defending them!!!

Most corners we defend ends up on the heads of our opponents and thankfully over the bar. Like a lot of teams I do not believe there is a concerted effort to find answers to the problem. Burnley set a great stall in set pieces but it is not a area most clubs would deem essential.

The style of football has changed throughout the leagues, where a more continental style and open game is played and these games do not now place a heavy emphasis on set pieces as it previously did.

Unfortunately for a large demographic the comparison will still exist due to the style of how the game was previously played and the elements that were part of that style of play.

2 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

I genuinely think we’re in a pickle. I have no idea what our boys are coached, but basic stuff seems to elude us. Defence is a shambles. Set pieces a joke. Intensity is lacking. 

People go on about Ole pulling results out of the bag when he needs them. Brendan is pretty much doing the same. We’re papering over glaring cracks that shouldn’t be there. 

Tend to agree, but I'm still fully behind him trying to sort it. He gets this season as a bare minimum to do so IMO, with a caveat that if we properly nosedive towards the bottom 6-7 then I'd be struggling to continue to back the cause. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, suffolk fox said:

We are poor at set pieces cos we believe in zonal marking which is shite.  Added to the fact we never leave anyone up front when the opposition has a corner leaves us with no outball if we regain possession quickly.  I do wish at corners when the opposition, has one, we   leave Vardy up front this would make opposing teams leave at least one or two defenders back hence less men in the box.

Another thing that gripes me why dont we have anyone on the posts when the opposition has a corner?  If that had been the case Sat Arsenal first would have been cleared?

...the trend now is not to put someone on the posts!!!

The problem with players on the post while defending corners are, they are playing the opposition onside, from  the loose ball.

Like a lot of things in this game, every thing goes in a cycle and unless you have the wit, believe and imagination to impose your own ideas or theories on the game, you follow the norm until something else comes around.

58 minutes ago, deep blue said:

I'm amazed and disappointed that he hasn't given that a go.  I'm surprised Vardy hasn't suggested it.

....Vardy probably has, but he does such a good job at the near post, it is perhaps difficult for him to make that argument!!!

I would like to see someone pick up the second ball and run with it with Barnes and  Vardy split up front to isolate their markers. 

The more players you have in the box does not make the corner easier to defend, just more chance of blocking your own keeper's view.

To be fair, we haven't had a fully fit defence since...what...March 2020? 

That's on top of needing to strengthen other areas. Though I do think there's more than enough goals in us to be able to mitigate that. Keep defence simple - say to them limit the chances and accept your lines will be broken but it's encouraging that never say die attitude of just banging it in the other end.

Winning 3-2 every week is still winning

I think the current situation at Spurs is illustrative of what can occur at clubs where they peak beyond their means. Directors have to be sensible and realistic. 

Ive said this before but most coaches believe you have a three year cycle with most squads. Then the relationships begin to grind and the ‘message’ starts to tire.

The greatest achievement we did at this club was post Champions, after a hugely disappointing domestic season, we assessed our direction and began to build the next cycle. We’ve largely called it right when it comes to letting players go. By contrast, Spurs haven’t and now find themselves in a proper infrastructural pickle. 

This current crop under Rodgers is mostly likely on the drop from the peak. There are lots of questions at the mo regards the squad. It looks like we’ve answered one of them in the signing of Daka. We will need to do the same for Evans and Youri. The club has two choices; you go with a new coach soon and try to relaunch the existing squad or you allow Rodgers to evolve the squad under his command. 

Personally I think there are some great expectations currently within our support which simply ain’t attainable. The CL race is only one available spot now. It’s the top six/seven we’ve gotta go for to get European football and we literally a good win away from that 

39 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...the trend now is not to put someone on the posts!!!

The problem with players on the post while defending corners are, they are playing the opposition onside, from  the loose ball.

Like a lot of things in this game, every thing goes in a cycle and unless you have the wit, believe and imagination to impose your own ideas or theories on the game, you follow the norm until something else comes around.

I was thinking about this and really, the only times opposition players are offside from corners is outswingers thst then get knocked on in to the box. Those on the post would want to be pushing out as soon as that ball is going the other way. Unless teams take a short corner they could also tell which way its coming in anyway.

Brentford and Arsenal's goals are both saved by someone on the far post, likewise Vardy's OG vs Burnley I think? He's a nuisance on the front post an'all, he shouldn't be in the box defending.

And if I read again that ‘the worlds best training facility’ gives a right to raise expectations. 

Sad to inform you that at least three of the big six have an equal facility and the others not far behind. Seagrave also isn’t just about the fortunes of the first team but more about being the club of the East Midlands and improving the academy 

• Like 1

I thought I saw a subtle Bilbo Baggins moment in BR’s body language when asked about his happiness with his job in relation to the big clubs elsewhere.  He answered elegantly but his humours nearly leapt out of him talking about not being able to compete with the budgets of the big boys. 

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I was thinking about this and really, the only times opposition players are offside from corners is outswingers thst then get knocked on in to the box. Those on the post would want to be pushing out as soon as that ball is going the other way. Unless teams take a short corner they could also tell which way its coming in anyway.

Brentford and Arsenal's goals are both saved by someone on the far post, likewise Vardy's OG vs Burnley I think? He's a nuisance on the front post an'all, he shouldn't be in the box defending.

Brighton’s goal with Welbeck whilst a free kick was also same area at front post. Although traditionally you’d never have a bloke on the posts for a free kick 

7 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Brighton’s goal with Welbeck whilst a free kick was also same area at front post. Although traditionally you’d never have a bloke on the posts for a free kick 

Yeah I did consider that one but that would be a pioneering move in football and may well humiliate Schmeichel hahahaa