Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

3 hours ago, Kilworthfox said:

It is not my place to say... and it wont change who the next manager will be. However I do feel that this way of thinking is just fear of the unknown. I don't want to accept mediocrity, and losing our better players, just because we have become sentimental about our manager, and we are willing to overlook his continued failures, because of 2 previous historically good finishes for this football club. Failure is failure, and currently and subjectively previously he has failed, as his team is better than their previous finishing positions, & current position.

This just absolute rubbish lol

Rodgers a failure lollollol. Get outta here.

No-one wants to accept mediocrity and no-one will overlook failure. But you can't overlook failure if the person isn't failing in the first place.

• Like 2

I always struggle with what I really think about Rodgers. On the one hand, I've enjoyed the last 3 seasons immensely, when he gets us going we can beat anybody. We can play really brilliant football and he brings out the best in so many of the team. I think the FA cup win alone should be enough for fans to treat him with massive respect and go down as one of the greatest we've had. 

Yet at the same time, we've witnessed some of the most frustrating games in recent memory under him, which I think stems from knowing just how good we can be, and what the team is capable of. It really feels like when we lose under Rodgers, it doesn't come down to fine margins where we have turned up but just been outplayed. It's more common that we just make incredibly bad errors, quite literally hand the opposition free goals or he makes ridiculous tactical decisions. (Maybe every football fan says the same thing about their team when they lose) I'm also massively concerned about the amount of injuries we get, a hamstring going a week is not normal, and definitely not what we're used to. 

I prefer to just accept we're moving in the right direction, this is the most consistently good we've been in our history so he's doing something right. I just hope we get to see our actual first 11 again and we live up to our potential before we lose some of them. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Nobbyburton said:

I always struggle with what I really think about Rodgers. On the one hand, I've enjoyed the last 3 seasons immensely, when he gets us going we can beat anybody. We can play really brilliant football and he brings out the best in so many of the team. I think the FA cup win alone should be enough for fans to treat him with massive respect and go down as one of the greatest we've had. 

Yet at the same time, we've witnessed some of the most frustrating games in recent memory under him, which I think stems from knowing just how good we can be, and what the team is capable of. It really feels like when we lose under Rodgers, it doesn't come down to fine margins where we have turned up but just been outplayed. It's more common that we just make incredibly bad errors, quite literally hand the opposition free goals or he makes ridiculous tactical decisions. (Maybe every football fan says the same thing about their team when they lose) I'm also massively concerned about the amount of injuries we get, a hamstring going a week is not normal, and definitely not what we're used to. 

I prefer to just accept we're moving in the right direction, this is the most consistently good we've been in our history so he's doing something right. I just hope we get to see our actual first 11 again and we live up to our potential before we lose some of them. 

I'm pretty much the same as you. 

The logical part of me tells me that Rodgers is a top class manager who we are extremely lucky to have and we probably wouldn't be able to replace with someone on par if he left. 

I honestly believe all of that to be true, BUT....

I absolutely dread every single game at the minute. Nine times out of then it's an absolute chore to watch, even when we win. I get that we've came a long way as a team and not too long ago we were far worse off but I just struggle to get excited for games right now because I know what style of football we are going to try and play.

• Like 3

Rodgers is failing to deal with a number of glaring problems within the team and the way it performs. It his job to address those issues and, in the main, he simply hasn’t done that. 

I think he is a good manager. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I think we are lucky to have him. However that doesn’t mean he cannot be held accountable for obvious deficiencies. Likewise he should be praised for his obvious successes. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

MON

image.thumb.png.1b82f6f6f1c088ce16bf3a415ce9c1f2.png

Rodgers

image.thumb.png.dcb96073faa1a69e16b5157312f304e2.png

Cheers Stan just in case those that thought he did.

I think the past blinkers the mind as no one will have a bad word to say against O'Neill yet i remember a bloody terrible start, simple football not at all pleasing on the eye, terrible European record & very rarely having 1 over on the big clubs, yet put up as the best manager we have ever had by most.
I like the man don't get me wrong but Rodgers has passed him in my eyes in less time at the club, i just find it sad the way he is being talked about currently.

• Like 4

Just now, BKLFox said:

I think the past blinkers the mind as no one will have a bad word to say against O'Neill yet i remember a bloody terrible start, simple football not at all pleasing on the eye, terrible European record & very rarely having 1 over on the big clubs, yet put up as the best manager we have ever had by most.
I like the man don't get me wrong but Rodgers has passed him in my eyes in less time at the club, i just find it sad the way he is being talked about currently.

No comparison needed. Both legends here and what both managers achieved for this club has been fantastic.

I don't get why people want to compare and then knock managers. Rodgers, O'Neill, Pearson... all successful for us in recent years so enjoy them all. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ARM1968 said:

Rodgers is failing to deal with a number of glaring problems within the team and the way it performs. It his job to address those issues and, in the main, he simply hasn’t done that. 

I think he is a good manager. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I think we are lucky to have him. However that doesn’t mean he cannot be held accountable for obvious deficiencies. Likewise he should be praised for his obvious successes. 

I don't recall ever seeing someone on here not holding him accountable for shortcomings. That's not to say he's a failure or that he should replaced. 

Just now, BKLFox said:

Agreed. 

1 minute ago, BKLFox said:

I don’t think you can compare. Brendans got a lot more financial backing than Martin had but obviously in a vastly different time money wise.  

What I would say is they’ve both got pretty much the best out of the players they have available to them/signed. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Sorry man but out squad is not top 4. Not when you compare the strength of Liverpool/Man City/Chelsea. Man Utd have a better squad than us too.

I think top 6 is our level and what we should be going for. I still think we'll get there too. 

West Ham are managing it quite well at the moment 

5 minutes ago, chapero82 said:

They haven't had any long term injury issues yet

Lets see what happens when they start losing first team starters for more than a week

Edited by moore_94

Anyone who suggests Brendan should go and be replaced, needs their head testing. Really, the guy has moved us on as a club - possibly not as much as might have been possible but certainly more than we had any right to expect. 

But there is no doubt at all in my mind that he does have a couple of blind spots. He's a technical coach and he thinks all games are won and lost by switches in tactics and formations. That of course also makes it all about him. Every post match interview he outlines the subtle changes made in line-up (either ours or the opposition, or both) to account for the outcome of the game. It leads to him undervaluing corners, free kicks and bog standard defending and other basics of the game which can get you points without playing some fancy, subtly calibrated formation. He wants his defenders to be aggressive and play on the front foot without acknowledging the risk this poses of them being turned, booked for fouls, conceding dangerous free kicks or being pulled out of position, leaving space behind. It's all very well blaming the individuals (Soyuncu, Westergaard, particularly) but they are being instructed to play like that even if they're not up to it. We play out from the back but have a keeper who - and I regret to say this - isn't capable of consistency in doing that securely. While other teams spot our weaknesses and exploit them - you get the feeling that BR would regard that as tantamount to cheating. He wants to play his way and for his way to be shown as superior. 

The other aspect of BR's management I am suspicious of is the fact that his teams always have a disastrous result in them. His teams are always capable of conceding a flood of goals - his Liverpool side conceded 50 (they scored 101 - a record) in finishing second in 2014. Everton, Hull, Cardiff, Swansea, Crystal Palace all managed to score three against them in one of the games. His Celtic lost to Gibraltar's Lincoln Red Imps, Alashkert of Armenia (3-0!)  and Astana of Kazakhstan - and 7-0 to Barcelona and 7-1 to PSG n the Champions League. I think of Bournemouth, Newcastle, Liverpool on Boxing Day, West Ham, and Spurs -  a couple of games for each, where the team has seemed utterly clueless, and I'd love to know why that is. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, KFS said:

Considering we go through a shit patch whenever he gets talked up as the next manager of X club, should we start linking Moyesy with any club that plays football? :ph34r:

People can laugh and joke about 'Moyesy' all they like, West Ham currently have a better structure, organisation and also play with more attacking flair than at any time Rodgers has been here.

They have physicality, flair, players capable of good football.

We're so far behind physically, it worries me where our direction is heading in comparison.

We look slow and technically poor.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kilworthfox said:

You can't argue with facts, and I see you've made the effort to prove that he is better than Puel, which I agree wholeheartedly. 

We have historically not been a title contender, it is sadly true. This doesn't mean we can not be going forward. Some will think, who do you think we are? I think we are Leicester Fu cking City mate!

I am sure if you look hard enough, you can find incompetence anywhere, and also achievements like the Charity Shield, which is of no significance to me...

I don't believe BR to be incompetent, but I do believe he is underachieving (therefore this warrants serious analysis to see if someone could be doing a better job), also I do not believe him to be humble enough to search within (A major flaw), to see why the team is under performing (that would be a progressive manager), thus, I have my opinion, that I believe it best for LCFC, and possibly himself that we are to end the working agreement.

I see a VERY worrying trends continued from the last 2 seasons.

We create very few goal scoring opportunities from open play! 

We believe we will out pass the opposition defence its becoming cringeworthy, like playing Hey Jude when either of the Scousers come to town.

We are over reliant on our star player to produce a "moment" from nothing to win a game.

We can not defend well any set piece.

We very rarely score from a set piece.

We can punish when we press, but we are passive far too often.

We only start playing when the game is gone, or almost gone.

We are becoming an arrogant team, one that I do not like, this comes from the Manager.

I believe we are sleepwalking into a crisis!!!!!!!!!

Against Arsenal we deserved to lose. We can not defend from a set piece.

Against Brighton we deserved to lose, we punished 2 errors, yet created noting from open play.

Against Brentford we deserved nothing (saved by Tielemans).

Against Spartak we were saved by Daka

Against Man U we deserved to win (Yet they were terrible) Nice to see us press from the front, but have to acknowledge we were allowed too.

Against Palace we crumbled in defence, very very unconvincing...

Against Legia it was a thoroughly disgraceful performance! This is where BR lost me.

Against Burnley we deserved nothing, lucky to escape with a point at home.

Millwall deserved win. (Job done, but it's Millwall in a cup that is no ones priority)

Against Brighton I actually thought we were the better team (but we can not defend set pieces).

Against Napoli we couldn't defend against a physical opponent, threw away 2 goals, see Palace.

Man City are better at being Old Barcelona than we are. No complaints.

Norwich were punished for 2 errors, we created nothing in open play. See Brighton.

Wolves couldn't score, a little like the Brentford game, their attack let us off the hook.

It gave me no joy to write the above. I want us to be the best we can be in all aspects of football. Our club has some wonderful aspects, but I believe these are diminishing with every poor result. That I am unable to Forgive BR for, in this "golden age" as a Leicester fan, because the potential at the club is so high, but the results are so lacking. We all know where our best players will be if we finish mid table, it will not be with a fox on their chests, and the Recruitment department, Academy or both, will have a huge job to do, and do it very well, for us to return to the higher places within this division.

No, he's done better than any other manager for LCFC in the PL era other then Claudio Ranieri. Since World War 2 only have we finished above 5th or above 4 times Ranieri 1, Matt Giles 1, Rodgers x 2.

I stopped reading at 'serious analysis' let me now when you have done some lol

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I don't recall ever seeing someone on here not holding him accountable for shortcomings. That's not to say he's a failure or that he should replaced. 

Agreed. 

Didn’t say he couldn’t be, nor do I think he should be sacked. I do think he needs to sort these obvious issues out though. 

28 minutes ago, chapero82 said:

We're 10 games in though, not 30.

West Ham are doing really well and good luck to them, it's nice to see different teams mix it up at the top of the table, but I think come the end of the season they'll be nearer 6th than 4th.