Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

4 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

In fairness they’d finished 13th and were in no danger of going down. 

If they're stupid enough to think Nuno would be a success, surely they'd fall for the rodgers bullshit though?

2 hours ago, kingkisnorbo said:

They’re the sixth most successful team in the country. Quite a significant history. 

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

How amazing is it that a club like Tottenham with no significant history of success and

Pull up the nets, Captain Finnegan, I think you’ve caught one. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Might be an unpopular opinion but for me, the fact he turned Tottenham from the punchline of this joke:

To being Champions League regulars and even finalists is "success on the pitch." Especially when you consider that through most of their "peak" years Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City have absolutely blown everyone out of the water. They might not have won silverware but they've still had absolutely massive growth in their actual performance and the fact there's even an expectation that they SHOULD be winning silverware is amazing. 

It's not like they've missed a lot of opportunities other than 15/16.

Spurs were literally mid table fodder for 30 or 40 odd years and now they're an established part of a so called Big Six with an absolutely staggering commercial income. I mean off the pitch what he's brought to them is immense. 

Five years ago, Tottenham had 40% less total revenue than Arsenal, they now make 20% more. 

Over the same period Tottenham have gone from having 54% less commercial revenue than Arsenal to now making 30% more. Again, that's absurd growth. Especially when you think about how much of a "brand" Arsenal are. 

We all love to take the piss out of Spurs and I'm not trying to end that, I mean it provides plentiful entertainment. But let's be honest, there's much, much worse run clubs. 

I see the fact they haven't won trophies during his tenure as less of a damming indictment on Levy and more just a reflection on how insane it is that we've won the league and FA Cup in the last seven years. 

Champions of Sustainable growth in commercial revenue on the back of being in the top tourist hot-spot in the world..... We'll never sing that. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

You've just got to hope Tottenham are as daft as this. It's not implausible.

Sadly I think Pochettino will just end up back there.

I think it would all unravel at Tottenham for him quicker than it has done here as well. The pieces aren't in as much place as they were here. Their best player is going to be wanting out again as well.

Good..

I take a few positives from your statement (and agree with you as well)

1. Rodgers wouldn't be here.

2.  I don't really like Spurs so couldn't care less about their woes.

3. With having better resources he wouldn't have an excuse  when the wheels fall off, and hopefully that would damage his reputation and pop the media bubble about how great he is. The world at this point may get to see what an incompetent fraud he really is ( well I can wish)

4. An early sacking would be a right smack in the face to his over inflated ego. (Loverly)

5 RODGERS WOULDN'T BE HERE

Edited by Guppys Love Child
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, deep blue said:

Filbertway is right.  Boxing Day 2019 we saw the first sign of his bottling nature.  Since then there have been ups and downs but there has been an underlying gradual downwards trend.

Such a shame because with a bolder approach we wouldn't have missed out on Champs League in 2 successive seasons and would have maintained the ambition  to keep progressing and pressing onwards.

All that Boxing Day 2019 taught was we needed to be more streetwise to playing the big 6. We were going up against them, especially away from home and neither playing possession based football and creating chances or defensive football and keeping it tight.

Cue 2020/21 we beat every team in the big 6 at least once.

• Like 4

Screenshot_20230322_102921_Chrome.jpg.21ac1fa7c10560ad8da1821ea67bc335.jpg

In a nutshell, pushing a defender up front a la Steve walsh/matt elliott. 

Exciting, but in truth, just reminds me what we are missing with this plum in charge. 

So basic to try everything to score near the end of a tight game, but unfortunately I don't have much faith anymore and expect more of the pissing/passing around the back at 1-0 down with 3 minutes to go. 

This is an uplifting article in that sense but I just can't stand this bloke in charge. 

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-experiment-unorthodox-harry-8275571

20 minutes ago, gw_leics772 said:

Exciting, but in truth, just reminds me what we are missing with this plum in charge. 

So basic to try everything to score near the end of a tight game, but unfortunately I don't have much faith anymore and expect more of the pissing/passing around the back at 1-0 down with 3 minutes to go. 

This is an uplifting article in that sense but I just can't stand this bloke in charge. 

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-experiment-unorthodox-harry-8275571

If and I mean IF Bodgers does this and Souttar scores I will be very happy BUT will also be sickened by the media who will react with utterly cringeworthy reporting of how an “elite” manager is able to develop alternative tactics to keep the club up even though the club has only plunged to where it is because of the truly disastrous signings he has made, stubborn decisions to play people not good enough to carry out his way of playing, shocking substitutions AND HAS been doing all of the above for the best part of two seasons.

😤

Edited by Solihullfox
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

You've just got to hope Tottenham are as daft as this. It's not implausible.

Sadly I think Pochettino will just end up back there.

I think it would all unravel at Tottenham for him quicker than it has done here as well. The pieces aren't in as much place as they were here. Their best player is going to be wanting out again as well.

I assume the majority of spurs fans would jump at poch going back. Weirdly though, when we played them I had a group of spurs fans behind me on the walk to the ground talking about how much they don't want poch back. 

I think Rodgers has been found out as a coach and his career is on the decline. Fundamentally he's too stubborn and unwilling to mix it up and change philosophy. As a result his tactics are too predictable especially with all of the analysis that goes on behind the scenes these days. Just like Mourinho his ideas haven't aged well and his ego obstructs his ability to adapt. 

It's plain as day every game that the opposition have done their homework on us (not that it's hard) and target our weaknesses, namely pressing us high up the pitch as they know we struggle to play out of a press, targeting individuals such as Amartey, Castagne, Faes, Thomas, etc, doubling up on our attacking threats such as Barnes and Tete to isolate the central forward by cutting off the supply and forcing them to drop deep in-order to get on the ball, putting Ward under pressure with plenty of shots to test his resolve, and being aggressive in their play as we have a soft underbelly and will crawl into our shell. They're just a few points, I could go on. 

The predictability of our play means we're the masters of our own downfall and Rodgers unfortunately looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'd actually love it if we played Souttar up front and went pure 80's Wimbledon. It's the correct play here, GET IT IN THE MIXER.

So how come it seems to have dawned on the coach after all this time ?

iverson kicking long on Saturday when faced with a five man press - talk of sticking souttar up to last ten mins when chasing an equaliser 

He must be listening to someone cos this certainly isn’t his playbook !! 

• Like 4

Just now, Ric Flair said:

He randomly does things (or the squad go against his tactics) but whether it remains will be of interest. The brief team pressing we saw vs Villa and Spurs soon vanished but it suits our team at this stage to go more direct and try and win 2nd balls higher up the pitch and press the final third.

We have been pressing in spurts since then 

an example being the equaliser on Saturday where castagne followed the others on that side and got infront of his man to turn over possession 

• Like 1

Just now, st albans fox said:

We have been pressing in spurts since then 

an example being the equaliser on Saturday where castagne followed the others on that side and got infront of his man to turn over possession 

Yeah we have, I just don't see why it's not used more frequently. In the 4 years he's been here, nearly all of our sustained success comes from that style of football. We've regularly scored two types of goals under Brendan, winning the ball high up from pressing / forcing errors and long range finishing.

The latter is currently inhibited by Tielemans injury and Maddison seemingly not in the positions he previously took up. However you look at those two victories vs Villa and Spurs and they were a mix of the two to a tee!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Yeah we have, I just don't see why it's not used more frequently. In the 4 years he's been here, nearly all of our sustained success comes from that style of football. We've regularly scored two types of goals under Brendan, winning the ball high up from pressing / forcing errors and long range finishing.

The latter is currently inhibited by Tielemans injury and Maddison seemingly not in the positions he previously took up. However you look at those two victories vs Villa and Spurs and they were a mix of the two to a tee!!!

Strangely for me it's a lack of confidence in our defence.

The press works great, but when someone plays through it, you have to have a good defence to rely on.

You end up with a half-hearted press when you don't trust the guys behind you. 

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I'd actually love it if we played Souttar up front and went pure 80's Wimbledon. It's the correct play here, GET IT IN THE MIXER.

Pity Rodgers has alerted all of our opponents to his new masterplan.  They can be well prepared to combat it if/when it ever happens.

6 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Some of the stuff he comes out with. When he first joined he said he doesn’t have a plan B and wouldn’t use direct football. Now he’s worried…4 years later….he’s considering it 

I specifically remember him saying this at the Q and A, stating he didn’t want a lamppost upfront. Saying it’s weak to have a plan B because it ultimately means you don’t believe in Plan A. Unfortunately, the Birch reminded him that we did have a 30 million pound one on the books(Slimani).

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, westernpark said:

I specifically remember him saying this at the Q and A, stating he didn’t want a lamppost upfront. Saying it’s weak to have a plan B because it ultimately means you don’t believe in Plan A. Unfortunately, the Birch reminded him that we did have a 30 million pound one on the books(Slimani).

:frusty:. He actually said that? Whilst I understand the sentiment, it shows exactly why he'll never ever be a top manager. If you think how Pep has revolutionised certain roles in the game, he doesn't just stick to a rigid philosophy and one of the reasons he's so so successful, or rather his teams are, is because he's not afraid to mix it up (and I say this as somebody who hates the Pep love in)

Edited by dmayne7
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, gw_leics772 said:

Should’ve done this with Fofana at Roma away ffs 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Solihullfox said:

If and I mean IF Bodgers does this and Souttar scores I will be very happy BUT will also be sickened by the media who will react with utterly cringeworthy reporting of how an “elite” manager is able to develop alternative tactics to keep the club up even though the club has only plunged to where it is because of the truly disastrous signings he has made, stubborn decisions to play people not good enough to carry out his way of playing, shocking substitutions AND HAS been doing all of the above for the best part of two seasons.

😤

1 hour ago, deep blue said:

Pity Rodgers has alerted all of our opponents to his new masterplan.  They can be well prepared to combat it if/when it ever happens.

Yes and why not have another player playing out of position ? Just as he’s looking good in his favoured position - pure Sunday League ..

6 hours ago, st albans fox said:

So how come it seems to have dawned on the coach after all this time ?

iverson kicking long on Saturday when faced with a five man press - talk of sticking souttar up to last ten mins when chasing an equaliser 

He must be listening to someone cos this certainly isn’t his playbook !! 

...wasn't it him, who said that he would not sign a lamp- post to play upfront!!!

• Like 1