Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

2 hours ago, ARM1968 said:

No point even thinking about Spurs. Conte has gone because Naglesmann is coming in. That is all. 

Yeah, can't see that they sacked him without making enquires first.

Just now, ClaphamFox said:

We're not going to get relegated this season. The big decision will come in the summer: does the club want Rodgers to oversee the biggest squad rebuild project in our history? My instinct is that there might be a mutually-agreed parting of the ways, but it's just a gut feeling. Top may have other ideas for all I know...

Im sorry i dont hold your confidence this team has no fighters no backbone ! If we do stay up i can see it being a very hard season again next year i cannot see where the financial backing to strengthen the team will be when you let 40+ mill player like Tiielemans enter the last yr of his contract and walk out for nothing !

40 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

No, I don’t want him to be given a new contract, he still has time left on his current deal. 
More a point about long term future. If we are going to start again and rebuild, I’d be wanting that to be under a manager we are expecting to still be here (by his own choice or the clubs).

I also don’t think that we’d be able to attract another manager of his quality. We know Rodgers is able to achieve success in the league and cup competitions with us. I don’t think the calibre of manager that we’d be able to attract currently will be able to get us back up the table. I’d feel more confident that Rodgers can get us back to being around mid-table than the names that got thrown around when Leeds and Southampton sacked their managers. 
No offence but this for me is the ‘lazy’ argument in the sense that sometimes it just needs someone else (like Shakespeare taking over and guiding us to safety). You could say that it hasn’t helped Leeds yet but Southampton have had a decent points return since losing Jones. Yes they were ****ed to start with the it’s not got them out of trouble but possible helped them from being cut adrift. We do have a lot more quality than those two that an interim could have took charge until summer.

I also don’t think that any manager would be able to achieve much with Amartey and Ward/Iverson having to play regularly. The defence needs improving in the summer. The rest of the team isn’t that far off, but we do need to find capable replacements for Tielemans and possibly Maddison, too. It’s a big summer window coming up. 

We should be doing better or adapting to having those players. He’s had four years to build the squad and had his right hand man in charge of recruitment so it’s his squad now.

I think 2 years on his contract is long enough to commit to a rebuild with him at the helm. A new manager would probably get a 3-year deal so isn't a lot different. 

Fair enough if you think it's a lazy argument. Personally, I just don't think it's that simple that "any change would be a good one". I genuinely think if we sacked Rodgers now and replaced him that it would do our survival chances more harm than good. 

I agree we should be doing better, even if we are/have been weak in certain positions this season. I'm just saying that there is a ceiling on how good you can do when those weaknesses are significant, so he should be judged on the squad he has now, not in comparison to the one he had in 19/20-21/22. That being said, some of it is his fault, as I imagine he was involved in the recruitment procedures for certain players that just haven't worked out, or his man Congerton was. Hopefully Glover and co. are able to rectify some of those mistakes in the summer. 

What are the chances of Brendan having a meltdown outpouring of sh!t on the owners and players at the next press conference a la Conte?

Please can someone ply him with Bolivian marching powder and Stella before his next post match interview to hasten a 'mutual agreement' exit.

Rodgers is here for the season now, think people have just got to accept it. This was the last conceivable window we could have sacked him and got someone in with enough time to change course.

Say we lose to Palace Saturday and he is sacked, new bloke unlikely to be in place for Villa on Tuesday and maybe even Bournemouth the following Saturday, both of which are massive games and not sure I want Mike Stowell in charge of those. Then you're looking at a 7 game contract for a manager, as you're not going to get your long term desired new man in that scrambled time frame willing to take on the risk of relegation, so you will be shopping in the bin of Benitez, Allardyce and loads of other crap or stick with a caretaker for the one of the most important run ins in our history. 

Think as fans we just need to create that seige mentality that we had during the great escape season towards the end, just back the team to the hilt from minute 1 to minute 90, try to allow them to play with confidence rather than nervousness and see where it takes us. 

As mentioned before ideally we manage to just about stay up and Rodgers is wished all the best and moved on amicably from both parties and we can rip it up and start a compelte fresh. 

• Like 2

Looking forward to Thursday's press conference.

'are you interested in the Spurs job?' 

BR: I am categorically not interested. I have a job to do here and it's a fantastic challenge I want to succeed at. I want to take Leicester to a level where they're not just happy to be a PL team. 

Friday morning headlines:

*Rodgers takes over at Spurs*

Edited by StanSP
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Am more slightly frustrated by the lack of communication on this front by Top, Susan Whelan etc.

They know things haven't been going as they had wanted.

I don't understand what you expect them to do? There will only by communication just before they intend to fire him. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LFox99 said:

image.png.3bc71c447f2b6a4fd90692de399fd578.png
I mean he can't be expected to get results with dross like this playing for Leicester...

Ah yes, some great performances against the likes of Angola, Lesotho and Armenia ;)  

For real though, we don't need to look at players' international performances to know which ones are good for LCFC and which ones aren't. 

8 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

I don't understand what you expect them to do? There will only by communication just before they intend to fire him. 

Not necessarily.

Some club's owners have publicly given current managers the (usually dreaded) vote of confidence to keep supporters updated on the managerial situation after a poor few results.

40 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Nah, I don't think I would take a manager that as won four Serie A titles and a Premier League...

I'd have Conte, obviously, but he has excuse after excuse which people don't like with Rodgers now.

2 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I'd have Conte, obviously, but he has excuse after excuse which people don't like with Rodgers now.

That's a good point. It's why I was less sympathetic towards Conte than most after his outburst. He made have had a point in terms of the bigger picture of Tottenham not being able to get over the line in terms of winning a trophy but ultimately his players are good enough to see out a game against Southampton when they are 3-1 up. He has to take responsibility for the outcome of that game as well as the players. He's just happy to take the praise when it goes well but never his fault when it doesn't. 

20 minutes ago, Pete52 said:

I think 2 years on his contract is long enough to commit to a rebuild with him at the helm. A new manager would probably get a 3-year deal so isn't a lot different. 

Fair enough if you think it's a lazy argument. Personally, I just don't think it's that simple that "any change would be a good one". I genuinely think if we sacked Rodgers now and replaced him that it would do our survival chances more harm than good. 

I agree we should be doing better, even if we are/have been weak in certain positions this season. I'm just saying that there is a ceiling on how good you can do when those weaknesses are significant, so he should be judged on the squad he has now, not in comparison to the one he had in 19/20-21/22. That being said, some of it is his fault, as I imagine he was involved in the recruitment procedures for certain players that just haven't worked out, or his man Congerton was. Hopefully Glover and co. are able to rectify some of those mistakes in the summer. 

I think it’s down to what I value in a manager (I.e a builder like Pearson/Puel) than someone who comes in and benefits from what is there already (like Rodgers and Ranieri although nothing against Ranieri with what he achieved).

I look at when a manager arrived and when they leave and see what their legacy is in that respect. I realise this does not take into account what has happened in between where fair enough, being in charge for 2 5th place finishes, 2 European campaigns and an FA cup is more than most manager for us and no I won’t go into the context around how those European campaigns ended up or the context around the 5th place finishes as they are still better than most managers in our history.

But in terms of how managers have found the club and how they leave it, unless there’s some unprecedented in his career turnaround, as it’s stands now, I’m going back to Sven to think of a manager who will have left the club is a ls bad a state relative to how he found it.

Pearson - twice picked the club up in a mess and left it better league position (a league above in both cases) and the off the pitch/squad set up. Net positive.

Puel - pretty much similar league positions, a bit higher when he left if memory serves. Off the pitch and squad wise much better and primed for the success Rodgers enjoyed in that 2 and a half years. Bet positive.

Shakepeare - pretty much like for like, took over when we dropped into the bottom 3 and left in a similar position. Didn’t really impact on the squad so neither positive or negative.

Ranieri- took over after we avoided relegation and left us in the bottom 3. Squad had deteriorated a bit but overall neither positive or negative in the factors I’m looking at.

Rodgers - took over we were top half with an exciting young squad and if he left now we are fighting relegation and a squad with contracts running out and devoid of saleable assets.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ClaphamFox said:

We're not going to get relegated this season. The big decision will come in the summer: does the club want Rodgers to oversee the biggest squad rebuild project in our history? My instinct is that there might be a mutually-agreed parting of the ways, but it's just a gut feeling. Top may have other ideas for all I know...

What have you seen from our results/performances to suggest we won't go down? I think there is only so long we can rely on other teams dropping points. We have some favourable fixtures coming up but we need to win them and given our recent form, I'm not convinced we will. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

I think it’s down to what I value in a manager (I.e a builder like Pearson/Puel) than someone who comes in and benefits from what is there already (like Rodgers and Ranieri although nothing against Ranieri with what he achieved).

I look at when a manager arrived and when they leave and see what their legacy is in that respect. I realise this does not take into account what has happened in between where fair enough, being in charge for 2 5th place finishes, 2 European campaigns and an FA cup is more than most manager for us and no I won’t go into the context around how those European campaigns ended up or the context around the 5th place finishes as they are still better than most managers in our history.

But in terms of how managers have found the club and how they leave it, unless there’s some unprecedented in his career turnaround, as it’s stands now, I’m going back to Sven to think of a manager who will have left the club is a ls bad a state relative to how he found it.

Pearson - twice picked the club up in a mess and left it better league position (a league above in both cases) and the off the pitch/squad set up. Net positive.

Puel - pretty much similar league positions, a bit higher when he left if memory serves. Off the pitch and squad wise much better and primed for the success Rodgers enjoyed in that 2 and a half years. Bet positive.

Shakepeare - pretty much like for like, took over when we dropped into the bottom 3 and left in a similar position. Didn’t really impact on the squad so neither positive or negative.

Ranieri- took over after we avoided relegation and left us in the bottom 3. Squad had deteriorated a bit but overall neither positive or negative in the factors I’m looking at.

Rodgers - took over we were top half with an exciting young squad and if he left now we are fighting relegation and a squad with contracts running out and devoid of saleable assets.

Harsh on Rodgers.

I'll be reminiscing about the FA cup win and the way we streamrollered our way to fifth, twice, as we languish in the Championship, assets sold, finances leaking.

2 minutes ago, Dickov22 said:

Conte basically did what Rodgers has been doing for the past 12 months, but just in an angrier, more explosive, tone. Spurs saw it for what it was - a Manager absolving himself of all responsibility, whilst chucking his players under the bus. If only Top had seen Rodgers in the same light.

We are stuck with Rodgers now until the summer so we just have to accept it and pray Maddison can keep us in the league. 

Rodgers just does it in a way that gets pundits on his side though. That's the main difference. 

He hasn't got big floppy hair, saying mama mia so the media don't vilify him as much.

13 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

What have you seen from our results/performances to suggest we won't go down? I think there is only so long we can rely on other teams dropping points. We have some favourable fixtures coming up but we need to win them and given our recent form, I'm not convinced we will. 

Ok, I'll explain why I believe this. The teams that go down are usually those who struggle to score goals. That's not us - we're almost always good for a goal or two and I don't see that changing, especially now the team has more balance with two wingers and Maddison in the middle. Our problem has been in defence, but I see that side of things improving as Souttar continues to settle into the Premier League and Kristiansen returns from injury. It's true that after the wins against Villa and Spurs we lost momentum, but in the five games that followed we played Man Utd away, Arsenal and Chelsea at home, and Brentford away - ie a very tough run of matches. Yes, losing at Southampton was a massive blow but we created more than enough chances to win that game. I also don't think Rodgers has lost the dressing room - the players have looked low on confidence at times, but I think the motivation is still there. And our run-in includes a number of very winnable games.

In summary, I think we'll stay up because:

1) We score goals, which many of our rivals struggle to do

2) Our defence is improving as Souttar and Kristiansen bed in

3) Our recent run of bad form including a number of tough games and we were arguably a bit unlucky in a couple of them

3) The players are still motivated

4) Our run-in is favourable

That concludes my presentation on why I think we'll stay up.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

I think it's hard to argue with what you're saying there when you're using that context of beginning to end to measure our managers of past and present. What you're saying about all of them is true. 

I think it's a bit unfair to just cut out all of the middle, though. No offence, but it's quite a convenient argument to suit a narrative against Rodgers (and Ranieri, if you wanted to).

If you read what you've put without knowing their achievements, it sounds like you'd be putting Puel and Pearson above Ranieri and Rodgers, when the latter 2 are obviously more successful managers for us. 

I'm not sure, maybe we do need a Puel/Pearson type to come in the summer and set another Rodgers/Ranieri up for success later down the line. I just personally think that we already have a good manager in place and an okay squad that needs a few subtle adjustments to the starting 11 and further depth for succession planning, so we might not need that upheaval in the form of a managerial change if we get things right around him and the players. Liverpool look like they're doing it with Klopp and being patient, they're just obviously in a different economic stratosphere to us, though. 

Plus, will the severance money we spend on Rodgers and his staff, then hiring a new coaching team, be worth it when that could go towards transfer £? It's likely to be an expensive divorce for not much of an upgrade. The only way he goes is mutually, IMO. I don't think we can afford to spend that sort of money on sacking him when we need to make some signings in the summer.