Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

16 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

That's a good point. It's why I was less sympathetic towards Conte than most after his outburst. He made have had a point in terms of the bigger picture of Tottenham not being able to get over the line in terms of winning a trophy but ultimately his players are good enough to see out a game against Southampton when they are 3-1 up. He has to take responsibility for the outcome of that game as well as the players. He's just happy to take the praise when it goes well but never his fault when it doesn't. 

Yeah, exactly, he is the manager and should shoulder the responsibility. Same with Rodgers here. Conte was looking for an excuse and it's not the first time this season, I recall earlier in the season when he was banging on about the board not coming out and talking. He was talking as if he's managing a second division club and not a top tier club like Tottenham Hotspur. Their board have seen this now which makes me wonder why they do yet ours don't with Rodgers.

Just now, ClaphamFox said:

Ok, I'll explain why I believe this. The teams that go down are usually those who struggle to score goals. That's not us - we're almost always good for a goal or two and I don't see that changing, especially now the team has more balance with two wingers and Maddison in the middle. Our problem has been in defence, but I see that side of things improving as Souttar continues to settle into the Premier League and Kristiansen returns from injury. It's true that after the wins against Villa and Spurs we lost momentum, but in the five games that followed we played Man Utd away, Arsenal and Chelsea at home, and Brentford away - ie a very tough run of matches. Yes, losing at Southampton was a massive blow but we created more than enough chances to win that game. I also don't think Rodgers has lost the dressing room - the players have looked low on confidence at times, but I think the motivation is still there. And our run-in includes a number of very winnable games.

In summary, I think we'll stay up because:

1) We score goals, which many of our rivals struggle to do

2) Our defence is improving as Souttar and Kristiansen bed in

3) Our recent run of bad form including a number of tough games and we were arguably a bit unlucky in a couple of them

3) The players are still motivated

4) Our run-in is favourable

That concludes my presentation on why I think we'll stay up.

I agree. I also think that if we're really in the shit, then Maddison, Barnes, Iheanacho etc. will just turn it on and create some magic when we really need it. 

Some will say it's naïve, but just don't think that some of our players will allow us to go down. 

As you say too, Souttar and Kristiansen are helping at the back. 

1 hour ago, ClaphamFox said:

Ok, I'll explain why I believe this. The teams that go down are usually those who struggle to score goals. That's not us - we're almost always good for a goal or two and I don't see that changing, especially now the team has more balance with two wingers and Maddison in the middle. Our problem has been in defence, but I see that side of things improving as Souttar continues to settle into the Premier League and Kristiansen returns from injury. It's true that after the wins against Villa and Spurs we lost momentum, but in the five games that followed we played Man Utd away, Arsenal and Chelsea at home, and Brentford away - ie a very tough run of matches. Yes, losing at Southampton was a massive blow but we created more than enough chances to win that game. I also don't think Rodgers has lost the dressing room - the players have looked low on confidence at times, but I think the motivation is still there. And our run-in includes a number of very winnable games.

3) Our recent run of bad form including a number of tough games and we were arguably a bit unlucky in a couple of them

The defence isn't the only issue, our midfield is not good enough to play the way Rodgers wants. Tielemans and Maddison are the only 2 who are comfortable on the ball and have a good passing range, and possibly Mendy who for some reason gets overlooked. Ndidi has regressed at an alarming rate and is currently nowhere near good enough to start and Soumare is just awful. KDH works hard but lacks technically and gives possession away far too often. Since Tielemans has been out we've relied heavily on Maddison and our weakness in midfield has meant we've seen a lack of goals since we beat Spurs. 3 goals in 6 games, 2 of them games being against Blackburn and Southampton. We didn't register a shot on target against Southampton who are comfortably the worst team in the league. I hope we do stay up but my concern is that Rodgers is so stubborn in the way he wants us to play and won't change, even though the players he currently has available aren't able to play the way he wants. 

The weakness in midfield also doesn't help the defensive issues as we get cut open far too easily and often have far too much pressure on our defence/keeper which normally leads to us conceding. 

I hope you're right that we'll have enough with the quality of Maddison, Barnes and a few others but right now I'd say its 50-50 whether we get relegated. We need at least a draw at Palace but ideally a win and we'd be looking a little better. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Corky said:

Didn't he pretty much rule out Tottenham a couple of years ago after Mourinho left? Still think he wants something bigger than them yet this season has all but done for him at a top club.

I think you might be thinking of Chelsea?

The Swansea manager, Brendan Rodgers, has ruled himself out of the running to be the new Chelsea manager and says he is looking to build his career and "not destroy it".

The Guardian.

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2012/mar/06/brendan-rodgers-ruled-out-chelsea-manager

Chelsea will never hire Leicester manager Brendan Rodgers because they’re still raging about what he said during his time at Liverpool, reports claim.

Talksport.

https://talksport.com/football/663043/chelsea-leicester-manager-brendan-rodgers-liverpool/amp/

Edited by Matt

4 hours ago, StanSP said:

Looking forward to Thursday's press conference.

'are you interested in the Spurs job?' 

BR: I mm categorically not interested. I have a job to do here and it's a fantastic challenge u want to succeed at. I want to take Leicester to a level where they're not just happy to be a PL team. 

Friday morning headlines:

*Rodgers takes over at Spurs*

*Flashback to Brian Little*

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Pete52 said:

Ah yes, some great performances against the likes of Angola, Lesotho and Armenia ;)  

For real though, we don't need to look at players' international performances to know which ones are good for LCFC and which ones aren't. 

Or the players who were firing on all Cylinders, but have now regressed to the point, they are amongst the ones not playing  well for LCFC, or have been injured that long, and many times most have forgotten they play for us anymore.

4 hours ago, Foxxed said:

Harsh on Rodgers.

I'll be reminiscing about the FA cup win and the way we streamrollered our way to fifth, twice, as we languish in the Championship, assets sold, finances leaking.

It is purely my measure of how the club has been picked up by each manager and left for the next manager in terms of league we are in or position within the league, squad make up and general trajectory. That’s why I wanted to be keen to point out at the start of my post that it in no way takes away from the achievements within that time.

4 hours ago, Pete52 said:

I think it's hard to argue with what you're saying there when you're using that context of beginning to end to measure our managers of past and present. What you're saying about all of them is true. 

I think it's a bit unfair to just cut out all of the middle, though. No offence, but it's quite a convenient argument to suit a narrative against Rodgers (and Ranieri, if you wanted to).

If you read what you've put without knowing their achievements, it sounds like you'd be putting Puel and Pearson above Ranieri and Rodgers, when the latter 2 are obviously more successful managers for us. 

I'm not sure, maybe we do need a Puel/Pearson type to come in the summer and set another Rodgers/Ranieri up for success later down the line. I just personally think that we already have a good manager in place and an okay squad that needs a few subtle adjustments to the starting 11 and further depth for succession planning, so we might not need that upheaval in the form of a managerial change if we get things right around him and the players. Liverpool look like they're doing it with Klopp and being patient, they're just obviously in a different economic stratosphere to us, though. 

Plus, will the severance money we spend on Rodgers and his staff, then hiring a new coaching team, be worth it when that could go towards transfer £? It's likely to be an expensive divorce for not much of an upgrade. The only way he goes is mutually, IMO. I don't think we can afford to spend that sort of money on sacking him when we need to make some signings in the summer. 

It’s why I wanted to be keen to point out it was not intended to take away from the achievements of Rodgers and Ranieri but purely looking at how each manager has taken on the club and passed on to the next in terms of the squad, league standing and momentum etc. In that respect then yes, Puel and Pearson do come above Rodgers and Ranieri. But the clubs trophy haul would look less impressive without the latter to :dunno:

Short answer is, football is cyclical and you need both types. The Pearson’s and Puel’s of the world do the grunt work and others come in and put the touches on that and yes, get the glory in terms of silverware. Not intended as a negative towards them as I say.

At this point, I think we are ready for another ‘builder’ type to come in and start the process again. This is because I’ve seen no evidence from Rodgers previous jobs that he is capable of overseeing this. Believe it or not, it’s nothing personal against the man, just that my observations are that his cycle has run it’s course and we need a fresh start.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nalis said:

Joking aside, I could have seen Rodgers oddly working out ok at Chelsea for a season or two before getting fired.

At Spurs there is not a chance in hell he'd succeed.

Good.

As I hate Spurs.

And Rodgers..

But best of all, for it to happen he wouldn't be here destroying our club.

Winner, Winner chicken...

• Like 2

19 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

1) We have goals, yes, but we can't consistently leverage them into points - because we have the worst keeper in the division and concede something like 1.8 goals per game - which makes it hard for our decent attacking play to be converted into points. 

2) Our defence *could* improve, but this hasn't happened yet. Evans is still a crock. Faes routinely abandons the defensive line and we don't have a fast CB like Fofana who can perform the recovery run. Souttar now has a knock. Kristiansen is still a couple of weeks away and will miss crucial games in April. Amartey is an OK squad player but is coached to play out from the back when he cant and he routinely loses the ball in dangerous positions. 

3) True. Hopefully we are up for it in the 6 crunch games out of the next 7 matches.

4) This is such an intangible it's hard to address it either way. I'm not sure we've got much fight though. One of the worst records for points from losing positions. We haven't won a single 'ugly' point all season. Worst record of 0 points in something like 19 games when trailing at HT.

5) Is it? I don't think it's hugely different to other teams. It's in our hands of course, but I've no faith in this team + manager in crucial matches - we always seem to fold under BR (FA Cup final the exception, not the rule) and we've had a bad finish to the season in 2 out of the last 3 seasons under BR. 

On 27/03/2023 at 21:49, Dan LCFC said:

The idea of us getting any long-term target sailed weeks ago, the argument for me was from now are we better going off with an interim ala Craig Shakespeare of a few years ago, or sticking with him.

I'd go for the interim. Lars Knudsen who has actually managed a first team before - a Selles like appointment. I think we are underachieving that drastically that we'd be better off doing this. If your question is who are we going to get that's any better than Rodgers' first couple of years, that would come here for the remainder of this season, then yes I agree you're not getting anybody - but that doesn't have to be the question.

I think the likelihood is he stays the season as well but there has to be a tipping point. Say we lose to Palace, Villa, then Bournemouth - what possible justification could there be for him staying?

I wish we could create that siege mentality but it's extremely hard with somebody who has took the piss out of the club all season. His behaviour has been on a par with Conte's, he's just done it in a far more subtle way.

More snidey I'd say. Covert vs conte's overt. 

Can't help thinking top reads his words and thinks they are sincere whereas we hear them.... Dripping with self protection

Edited by gw_leics772
  • Like 2

Guest Col city fan
On 27/03/2023 at 21:50, Tielemans63 said:

Great work, lads and lasses 

Screenshot_20230327_214353_Twitter.thumb.jpg.f5e2dc959b5b25e59359195ddb9879c9.jpg

Just look how much the media sensationalises Rodgers here. There is STILL no recognition that he’s pushing Leicester down the toilet. He’s STILL very seriously linked with one of the top jobs in the Premiership 

Rodgers is the embodiment of modern-day image over substance. The media should be talking about him in terms of fookin Leicester up! Not linking him with ‘bigger’ jobs.

Its a crazy world.