Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

Never said it did. 

Example? 

So in the 2 game in the league we have been able to field 4 of of that 5 at the same time, we have won both. 

Examples are Vestergaard and Bertrand. 

So we are proving my point, the cover is not good enough.

3 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...so we should just get back inside our box!!!

Every other clubs supporters would have been expecting us now to stay in our lane, but the quality of players we have garnered does not lend itself to that kind of thinking. 

No one is expecting success to be showered upon us as a right, but the long term plans and vision on Khun Vichai and the implementation of the staff and players has put us on solid ground with the chance to continue to build stronger and better.

We can't keep looking backwards and keep being afraid of what we were, we are where we are not by just good fortune, and we should not be afraid to embrace success. 

The sad fact is that spending loads, having a big brand will make you successful. We see Arsenal and laugh (Although not this weekend clearly), we see Man Utd and chuckle. These clubs will return to their self appointed places of success, purely for the fact they can throw money at it until something sticks. They cannot afford to wallow in mid/lower table for ever else it damages the brand, which in turn will damage them financially.

There are outliers, us, others that strive for European qualification, domestic trophies, but to expect the success to repeat, let alone year on year progression, is a huge ask. We already see minor weakenings, with staff poached away, players leaving, players who we thankfully plan for their departures 

This is where we are, we are not at this high table, to get there would take either a generation of success (winning stuff), or divine intervention. So yes we have highs, more than some would admit, but we will also have the lesser seasons too.

As long as we are prepared to go again the next season, its all good.

1 hour ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

We're 10th, 3 points off the top 4 and still in both the other competitions we've been in. Hardly that bad is it?

And this has been without several of our big players.

My post wasn’t in any relation  to where we are in the league- just to you classifying Soyuncu as much improved. He’s had a terrible start to the season.

53 minutes ago, Kilworthfox said:

Examples are Vestergaard and Bertrand. 

So we are proving my point, the cover is not good enough.

Bertrand was free, who could we sign on a free who better?

Vestergaard was 15m, who could we have got who was available and at the same price?

I'm sure he would have liked a Tarks at 40m or a Zouma 30m  or a Ben White at 50m.

We brought what we could afford. 

13 minutes ago, MPH said:

My post wasn’t in any relation  to where we are in the league- just to you classifying Soyuncu as much improved. He’s had a terrible start to the season.

He's played 67 times under Rodgers in the PL. Before that, he played 6 games about (300 minutes)

He has gone from an unused squad player to a first-team regular and was in the Premier League PFA Team of 2019–20.

He has had a very average start to the season, but to say Rodgers hasn't improved him is just wrong. 

How many of us want to bring in a CB to replace Maguire after moving to Man U rather than Soyuncu.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

It gets tedious after a while. I don't understand why some of our fans worship cult hero players and managers but don't put respect on the names of one of our best managers ever and group of players. It's just weird. Certain members that act like we have never had struggles before. 

I fear some people look at 15-16 and expect that a repeat is feasible. Even in this short period of time (and because of 15-16 in part) it is impossible.

Happy for us or West Ham or Brighton or anyone, to prove me wrong.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
25 minutes ago, MPH said:

Don't disagree but before that he's been one of the best centre backs in the league which I don't think he is really but the fact he's in the pfa team of the year would suggest that 

2 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

He's played 67 times under Rodgers in the PL. Before that, he played 6 games about (300 minutes)

He has gone from an unused squad player to a first-team regular and was in the Premier League PFA Team of 2019–20.

He has had a very average start to the season, but to say Rodgers hasn't improved him is just wrong. 

How many of us want to bring in a CB to replace Maguire after moving to Man U rather than Soyuncu.

lol

that’s being very kind.  To say someone is average is to say that they haven’t stood out at all. He’s  certainly stood out but for some awful play.

for what it’s worth I am a big fan of his but he has been truly awful this season.

Just now, Chocolate Teapot said:

Don't disagree but before that he's been one of the best centre backs in the league which I don't think he is really but the fact he's in the pfa team of the year would suggest that 

im a big fan of his and I hope he can turn his season around!

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 minute ago, MPH said:

im a big fan of his and I hope he can turn his season around!

Personally I'd sell him and buy carmo but it's rarely as straight forward as that.

1 hour ago, Kilworthfox said:

We never play counter attack!!!!

The winner against Brentford for one is an example. At least two of the goals against Spartak was winning the ball deep and countering. Football isn’t black or white. 

Originally, you said we never played the same tactics we did against Man City away. But we did play the same counter attacking style against Liverpool at home (3-1), Arsenal away (1-0) and Spurs away (2-0). Which pretty rings true to when our quickest players were fit 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MPH said:

lol

that’s being very kind.  To say someone is average is to say that they haven’t stood out at all. He’s  certainly stood out but for some awful play.

for what it’s worth I am a big fan of his but he has been truly awful this season.

He came back from the euros with low confidence after Turkey had a dreadful tournament. 

I prefer not to judge players on a small sample size of games, and there are mitigating circumstances in view.

He then went from being a junior partner in a CB pair to being the leading man. Easy to forget he is only 25. 

He is asked to play one game on the right of a 3 and the next as the left CB in a 2.  

We haven't had a settle back 4 or 3 season. 

The best defenders and defence general are the most settled ones.

4 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

The winner against Brentford for one is an example. At least two of the goals against Spartak was winning the ball deep and countering. Football isn’t black or white. 

Originally, you said we never played the same tactics we did against Man City away. But we did play the same counter attacking style against Liverpool at home (3-1), Arsenal away (1-0) and Spurs away (2-0). Which pretty rings true to when our quickest players were fit 

BR always sets the team up to be dominating possession, and out playing the opposition defence. This is not counter attacking football. Yes the 2nd goal against Brentford was a counter attack, but that is not how we plan to play.

The only time I recall we ever changed was the Manchester City away game.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Kilworthfox said:

BR always sets the team up to be dominating possession, and out playing the opposition defence. This is not counter attacking football. Yes the 2nd goal against Brentford was a counter attack, but that is not how we plan to play.

The only time I recall we ever changed was the Manchester City away game.

I’ve just given three games where we had to play a counter attacking style last season with success. I could cite the 4-1 win at Leeds as well as another example where we soaked up the ball, conceded possession and used the space behind their defence. 

The difficulty for LCFC has been the quickest players in our squad - Pereira, Justin, Barnes and even Vardy last season whom can punish high defences have suffered with injury and inconsistent form. As a result we’ve had to focus far more on possession based tactics and try to utilise space in between the lines. Kelechi being the player to profit the most from this. Playing in a ten and half role 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Vestergaard was 15m, who could we have got who was available and at the same price?

I'm sure he would have liked a Tarks at 40m or a Zouma 30m  or a Ben White at 50m.

We do not sign players just based on their fee, or wages. They have to be at an elite standard.

I am unaware of what the budgets for wages and transfers are / were. I am aware however that we have a recruitment team with analysts watching games every day using Hudl, and those 2 players were the best we could find? If that is the case it is disappointing, as Recruitment has been a major success over the past decade overall, hence our improved positions throughout the league. At best those 2 players have so far been a blip, in what I would describe as another successful window overall.

3 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

PL stats have us as 7th overall for most counter attack goals this season. 

7th for the 20/21 season

2nd for the 19/20 season 

Is anyone actually suggesting we play counter attacking football? Because we do not! We do however on rare occasions counter the opposition because they lose the ball during their attack, allowing us to counter... that is a distinction hopefully you understand!

I believe LCFC to be the best counter attacking team in the Country! We just never set up to play to those strengths! This is my frustration, as BR believes in a possession based game.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, MPH said:

lol

He s also put in Top CB moments,like Evans, But not Returned also like Evans that disciplined & concentrated 90minutes...

But then again in These 10-14 ( League & cup) games..But neither have Our Top 1-12 expected competitors..

44 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Bertrand was earning 70k a week at Southampton.

With Thomas at just 19 looking comfortable in a FA Cup final winning team and Castagne that can also play on the left and waiting on the return of an injured Ricardo who can also play on the Left. 
Was signing the 32 year old necessary?

Takehiro Tomiyasu Cost the same as Vestergard and can cover RB and CB

Joachim Andersen went for similar money.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kilworthfox said:

We do not sign players just based on their fee, or wages. They have to be at an elite standard.

I am unaware of what the budgets for wages and transfers are / were. I am aware however that we have a recruitment team with analysts watching games every day using Hudl, and those 2 players were the best we could find? If that is the case it is disappointing, as Recruitment has been a major success over the past decade overall, hence our improved positions throughout the league. At best those 2 players have so far been a blip, in what I would describe as another successful window overall.

We can't afford squad players of elite standard we aren't Man City.

No club can get every transfer right.

I also prefer to not judge players after 4 or 5 games.

15 minutes ago, Kilworthfox said:

Is anyone actually suggesting we play counter attacking football? Because we do not! We do however on rare occasions counter the opposition because they lose the ball during their attack, allowing us to counter... that is a distinction hopefully you understand!

I believe LCFC to be the best counter attacking team in the Country! We just never set up to play to those strengths! This is my frustration, as BR believes in a possession based game.

Maybe you should write to the PL and tell them there stats for counter attack goals are wrong.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

He came back from the euros with low confidence after Turkey had a dreadful tournament. 

I prefer not to judge players on a small sample size of games, and there are mitigating circumstances in view.

He then went from being a junior partner in a CB pair to being the leading man. Easy to forget he is only 25. 

He is asked to play one game on the right of a 3 and the next as the left CB in a 2.  

We haven't had a settle back 4 or 3 season. 

The best defenders and defence general are the most settled ones.

so how much time do we give him before we recognize he’s playing badly? 2 more games? 5? 25? There comes a time when someone has to take personal responsibility for their own displays.

23 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

He s also put in Top CB moments,like Evans, But not Returned also like Evans that disciplined & concentrated 90minutes...

But then again in These 10-14 ( League & cup) games..But neither have Our Top 1-12 expected competitors..

no ones played that great this season but I DID think we had turned a corner.

I have to say though that the only reason I think soyuncu still has his place is because the alternative is vetesagaard.

I mean, even Amartey who despite his limitations and ‘ squad member’ tag  bless him has been getting more plaudits than  Soyuncu this season!

26 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Bertrand was earning 70k a week at Southampton.

With Thomas at just 19 looking comfortable in a FA Cup final winning team and Castagne that can also play on the left and waiting on the return of an injured Ricardo who can also play on the Left. 
Was signing the 32 year old necessary?

Takehiro Tomiyasu Cost the same as Vestergard and can cover RB and CB

Joachim Andersen went for similar money.

A back up of sorts was required for the left back position. Castagne, Ricardo, and Thomas would not have been enough for at least half a season as you lose 1 through injury you have no rotation options, JJ is also very unlikely to be back to his usual self for a while as we have seen with Ricardo

Tomiyasu was much more of a right back than he was a centre back at Bologna, and has only been a right back at Arsenal. Club may have felt he isn't good enough as a centre back.

Joachim Andersen joined Palace before the Fofana injury, when we wouldn't have been looking to make a permanent centre back signing.

Also remember the point was Rodgers wanted a Premier League experienced centre back, which Tomiyasu wasn't.

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 1