Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

7 hours ago, moore_94 said:

A lot rumours from foreign press but most domestic press denied it all

After seeing how he has been for Norwich so far I am glad we didn't go near him, just as bad as Vestergaard

Respect your opinion but i think Van Djjk would look poor there. there's a reason Liverpool went for him. He's not as bad as Norwich make him look

11 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

I think it's a bit of a fear factor. It is easier to press high when you feel more secure at the back.

Everything is more straightforward in football when a team is more confident. 

As Man U found out against Liverpool, pressing high badly can be as bad or worse as not pressing at all.

We have been more aggressive and direct in recent weeks. We mixed it up well against Man U, Moscow. Brentford was more of a struggle, and Arsenal, we just had a terrible 20 minutes.

That is correct but when you do it as badly and as disjointedly as they do you're bound to have problems. It was suicidal stuff from Solskjaer, I'd assume based on the weekend that he'll probably park the bus against Man City.

• Like 1

Nuno going to Spurs and then getting sacked after 4 months. Lesson to be learnt there. For Rodgers, better be King here at Leicester and continue on building up something here that has been nothing short of remarkable since the Great Escape. Good squad. Respected. New Training Ground. Stadium Expansion on the horizon. Don’t go to Man U too early and be miserable with lack of influence over how the club is run and with potential of being sacked 6 months into the job if they are not in the top 4 or better come March.

Rodgers is not perfect, but his recent changes have given renewed hopes that he is willing to learn and be less stubborn with his favourites. Changes will take time to become good and we are battling a defensive problem, so let’s give him a chance and support him and the team.

Edited by Tom12345
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Babylon said:

The club had gone just about as far as it can, there is almost zero chance of getting a top 4 space regularly. So battling out to be best of the rest on a consistent basis and cups is pretty much it. 

On the face of it I agree. But that mainly depends on how deep Top wants to dig into his pockets, and how much he wants to pursue a potentially unrealistic dream

The leagues probably the strongest it’s ever been, and our last two seasons are likely as close as we ever get to Top 4 finishes. 

Rodgers will have had over 3 years here come May, and should he leave, our next appointment will show exactly how far Top wants to go with pushing us. 

1 hour ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

I’m starting to think he’ll walk at the end of this season. 

I’m also starting to think he’s taken us as far as he can

Or he might assess what the team’s potential might be with two of his best first team players recovered from injury and playing again 

34 minutes ago, hejammy said:

Honestly I don't get some people here, BR is a fantastic manager and one of the best British managers out there. Records show consistency of management bring success. Chopping and changing managers seldom work. If/when he decides to leave we'll do well to get another manager of his calibre. 

Managers come and go like players but the club remains. Ignoring the circumstances and reasons why they went, it's easy to get attached to some managers. I was very sad to see O'Neil, Pearson and particularly Ranieri go whilst with others, regardless of the jobs they've done, you just don't seem to connect with them or like them so much, for whatever reason. 

Life would go on without Rodgers but realistically, we're not going to get a really top elite manager. Even if they were not currently working, we're still just Leicester City. However, we did manage to attract Rodgers who is a little below that standard but who arguably saw us as a great opportunity to get his Premiership reputation back. We are in a better position now than when he came arewe not. I therefore think we'd be an attractive proposition to get someone else who is just below the elite level or an up and coming bright prospect. I would have thought our owners would have had a changeable short list for a long time now. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.....talking about cliches....!!!

Isnt  a cliche, that urge driver...near The G.spot..??

Ahuaaa. Silly me, whoops..!!   But near enough, because After every game,

we tend to dive into melt downs , orgasms & some Search Desperate for some Smoking logic

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

On the face of it I agree. But that mainly depends on how deep Top wants to dig into his pockets, and how much he wants to pursue a potentially unrealistic dream

The leagues probably the strongest it’s ever been, and our last two seasons are likely as close as we ever get to Top 4 finishes. 

Rodgers will have had over 3 years here come May, and should he leave, our next appointment will show exactly how far Top wants to go with pushing us. 

The thing is, if it turns into a shootout of finances then we are not going to win. We would ourselves being comfortably outgunned by Man City, Man United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton (if FFP was to be loosened) and now Newcastle. There are just too many sharks in the tank. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Top is only the 10th wealthiest owner in the PL that, combined with the Big 6, all have turnover at least double our turnover, which means we are totally outgunned financially, as @BenTheFox says. You can now add Newcastle to that list.  

Our average league finishes over the last eight seasons is around 8th, all of which sort of back up @Babylon point that we have probably hit our ceiling as a club. 

We can compete in other ways, by being smarter with recruitment of players, managers and producing our own player via our academy.

When we get everything spot on and the planets are aligned, we can punch above our weight like the fantastic 15/16 and last two seasons. 

But expecting us to break into the top 4 or 6 every year is unrealistic. That doesn't mean we shouldn't aspire to it, but we should remain ground when it doesn't work out like that 

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

I can only judge it on what I've seen so far and they've shown no intention of investing the amount it would take to do that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hejammy said:

Honestly I don't get some people here, BR is a fantastic manager and one of the best British managers out there. Records show consistency of management bring success. Chopping and changing managers seldom work. If/when he decides to leave we'll do well to get another manager of his calibre. 

I think some people just prefer to be miserable and moan about something!

Yeah, we've been inconsistent this season and our defending, especially from set pieces, has been poor. But, with Fofana, Justin and Ndidi returning over the next few weeks, we'll be able to make a clearer assessment of the potential of the team. And some of our attacking football remains a joy to watch.

Remember that wages are the best predictor of finishing position, and I'd think ours is around 8th or 9th position, which is near where we are currently. Europa League is the big competition for me this season, I want us to make progress there along with another cup run. 

Rodgers has been overachieving considerably with Leicester, and we should enjoy the time that he's the manager. 

• Like 3

Guest Chocolate Teapot

Interesting section from Jonathan norcroft on the transfer podcast.

He said Rodgers is very reputation concerned, won't leave the club on bad terms as he was disappointed with the criticism after leaving celtic and if he did go, he'd go at the end of the season for lots of money.

8 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

He said Rodgers is very reputation concerned, won't leave the club on bad terms as he was disappointed with the criticism after leaving celtic and if he did go, he'd go at the end of the season for lots of money.

It makes sense. Getting a reputation for repeatedly jumping ship mid-season is not something a prospective employer views as a positive.

However, an approach from Man U would test that concern.

1 hour ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

If Manchester United come calling in the next couple of weeks pending Ole’s exit, he’s not going to turn them down early / mid season.

He left Celtic because rightly he felt we were a better fit and that’s been proven right he will also leave in the same circumstances imo. 

18 minutes ago, filbertway said:

He's certainly managing that, Leicester games are generally awful to watch.

Watch all the games of any team, and you will watch some boring games, to be fair. 

Like all teams, we have bad and good games.

Also depends how you define awful?

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
53 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

If Manchester United come calling in the next couple of weeks pending Ole’s exit, he’s not going to turn them down early / mid season.

He left Celtic because rightly he felt we were a better fit and that’s been proven right he will also leave in the same circumstances imo. 

Hed be very expensive for united and they got burnt dealing with us last time. I could be wrong but more likely in a season end break tbh.

4 hours ago, Babylon said:

I can only judge it on what I've seen so far and they've shown no intention of investing the amount it would take to do that. 

What makes you say that?

Don't we have the highest wage to turnover ratio in the league?

So we're currently at our peak for expenditure on wages, unless we increase revenue....

What do you think the extra 8000 seats and the rest of the ground development is for?

The training ground shows that ambition too. Not in terms of increased revenue, but in terms of what I expect to be an increase in recruitment at youth levels.

Man City were able to build their increased revenue pre-FFP, by investment huge amounts of capital.

Under FFP, we can't do that, and neither can Newcastle for example.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FoxyLeon said:

What makes you say that?

Everything.

One being paying a piddling sum of money for sponsorship ion the shirts and stadium well below market rate and then only upping it to something, quite frankly still below market rate a few years ago. Then letting shirt sponsorship go elsewhere, when that was actually one of the legitimate channels they could have funded the club. 

11 minutes ago, FoxyLeon said:

Don't we have the highest wage to turnover ratio in the league?

And? Firstly that's only because of Covid and secondly it's way below like 6/7 of the other teams in the league. 

So we're currently at our peak for expenditure on wages, unless we increase revenue....

What do you think the extra 8000 seats and the rest of the ground development is for?

To increase revenue and help the club grow. Don't get your point, it's barely going to put us level with someone like Villa for income, let along the big 6. 

he training ground shows that ambition too. Not in terms of increased revenue, but in terms of what I expect to be an increase in recruitment at youth levels.

You seem to be missing the point. I'm not accusing them of being ambitious, I'm saying they aren't going to invest the sort of money it would take to become a top 4 club. 

Man City were able to build their increased revenue pre-FFP, by investment huge amounts of capital.

Under FFP, we can't do that, and neither can Newcastle for example.

You really think Newcastle wouldn't have pumped money in to boost them, why do you think all the clubs panicked and stopped owner sponsorship deals. Billionaires can find loop holes, Man City are still finding them. 

• Like 1