Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

4 hours ago, splinterdream said:

Yes i think Rodgers is gone at the end of the season, I’d imagine to Utd and Youri will probably go there too, in fact I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s already been sorted, Neville said after Liverpool game that he thought Utd will keep Ole till the end of the season and then make the change, I wonder if he knew something.

Chelsea got Tuchel, Spurs got Conte.  I think it’s pretty naive to assume Yanited isn’t going to try and aim higher than Rodgers.

9 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Chelsea got Tuchel, Spurs got Conte.  I think it’s pretty naive to assume Yanited isn’t going to try and aim higher than Rodgers.

I think Utd have some weird desire to replicate SAF legacy. I think that's what Moyes was all about, a fellow Celt, probably on recommendation from the man himself, and it wouldn't surprise me if SAF is now recommending Brendan, I'm not sure who you think would be more suited to the job.

• Haha 1

He often talks a remarkable amount of shit, but the other day Paul Merson actually made a point which I thought was fair... Most people (rational people at least) accept that players have games or go through spells of poor form, but they stick with them up until a point in hope that they will turn it around. Ever stopped to think that the same applies to managers too? Maybe Brendan is just going through a difficult period right now. I'm makinb it sound like the current situation is a disaster when it clearly isn't! A couple of wins and sufmddenly things will start to seem quite rosey. 

3 hours ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Really disappointed that mangers show no long term loyalty to a club, only manager I can think of who has a long term plan for a club is David Moyes. I've said this before earlier on this week that I've been really impressed with his vision for West Ham after reading an interview with him that he wanted West Ham to be like the Hammers of decade's ago. He wants players to play something called 'The West Ham Way', if anyone could enlighten me on this way plz do! He stated that he wanted to get players who want to believe in his way and move those on who he thinks can't. Also this building of West Ham requires a manager who wants to stay at the club long term like a Alex Ferguson type figure. And I don't think Moyes is tempted to go elsewhere or any clubs are in for him yet.

In support of managers, why should they show loyalty? After only a few bad results these days, sometimes having been lumbered with a previous managers and clubs poor signings, they're given the push.

In this respect, Rodgers has been extremely fortunate. He has inherited a good squad which has been more than adequately added to throughout his tenure with the full support and backing of the clubs owners. However it pans out, he can't complain for the size of the club. Likewise, I would have thought that at the end of each season thus far, our owners would also be reasonably happy also. 

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

I think Utd have some weird desire to replicate SAF legacy. I think that's what Moyes was all about, a fellow Celt, probably on recommendation from the man himself, and it wouldn't surprise me if SAF is now recommending Brendan, I'm not sure who you think would be more suited to the job.

Ponch is the obvious choice, but there are others who they'd surely rather have.  Just a question of availability.  Besides - it's all moot because BR is going to Barcelona, didn't you hear?

I don't discount the chance Rodgers ends up at Man U., but it's not the kind of deal where they scheme a whole year waiting for it to happen.  He'd be a Plan B for them, maybe C - someone to hire if their other machinations fall through.  And they'd already be succession planning the day they did it - figuring out when someone they really want might come available.  Mid-season?  The next summer?  This is the most famous and one of the richest clubs in the world we're talking about.

BR will be fully aware the gig could be a poisoned chalice, of course.  But it's a gamble he'd have to take.  He's nothing if not absurdly confident in his own ability, and desperate to be acknowledged as the genius he sees himself to be.  And that can only happen if he redeems his reputation at a "big club".

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

...well documented that Moyes was recommended by Ferguson!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob Farley said:

Manchester City have told Leicester manager Brendan Rodgers, 48, they would be interested in him taking over from Pep Guardiola when the 50-year-old Spaniard leaves the Premier League champions. (The Transfer Podcast via Leicester Mercury)

It was looking reasonably credible until it got to Leicester Mercury 🤣

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Ponch is the obvious choice, but there are others who they'd surely rather have.  Just a question of availability.  Besides - it's all moot because BR is going to Barcelona, didn't you hear?

I don't discount the chance Rodgers ends up at Man U., but it's not the kind of deal where they scheme a whole year waiting for it to happen.  He'd be a Plan B for them, maybe C - someone to hire if their other machinations fall through.  And they'd already be succession planning the day they did it - figuring out when someone they really want might come available.  Mid-season?  The next summer?  This is the most famous and one of the richest clubs in the world we're talking about.

BR will be fully aware the gig could be a poisoned chalice, of course.  But it's a gamble he'd have to take.  He's nothing if not absurdly confident in his own ability, and desperate to be acknowledged as the genius he sees himself to be.  And that can only happen if he redeems his reputation at a "big club".

I think the 'genius' would fall flat on his arse at United, particularly at this moment in time. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Thanks for your answer on the West Ham Way', I just thought it was so cool that Moyes knows about the history of the club or read about it

Tbf to him I remember when he first came in he knew and think he said had read/researched our history.

He seemed to know a lot about our history within the FA Cup and went on to win us that competition.

I hope people do realise it is possible to appreciate that and thank him for that whilst also being critical of the way we play and struggle to enjoy/not be excited in many games - certainly the 2nd half of 19/20 and 20/21 seasons aswell as so far this season.

16 hours ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Great 2 questions...love to know the answer to these! Moyes did say he wanted to create an identity for the club

This is a great argument/point raised. As I keep saying there are too many teams trying to play this one size fits all style even when it’s glaringly obvious they’re terrible at it (I can’t stress the word ‘trying’ too much).

Very few clubs have an identity nowadays by identity I mean mix it up play in different styles, there is a time an a place within games you play all different styles - not just one, relentlessly, you adapt (simply just being able to play in different styles and/or adapt would be an identity in this day and age), there is more than one way to skin a cat and there is far too much football snobbery, I used to and still do take the piss out “The [insert club name] way”, it’s a myth, it’s a cliche and there has become a tag line when talking about this one size fits all style of “this is how the game should be played” which also a myth and a cliche.

It’s all so very boring and negative as far as I can see, it’s a problem within the whole game, not just Leicester City.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Really disappointed that mangers show no long term loyalty to a club, only manager I can think of who has a long term plan for a club is David Moyes. I've said this before earlier on this week that I've been really impressed with his vision for West Ham after reading an interview with him that he wanted West Ham to be like the Hammers of decade's ago. He wants players to play something called 'The West Ham Way', if anyone could enlighten me on this way plz do! He stated that he wanted to get players who want to believe in his way and move those on who he thinks can't. Also this building of West Ham requires a manager who wants to stay at the club long term like a Alex Ferguson type figure. And I don't think Moyes is tempted to go elsewhere or any clubs are in for him yet.

And how many clubs show long term loyalty to managers? they are only safe from the sack so long as they are being successful, as soon as any club feels the threat of relegation or not being promoted or not even winning trophies they get awarded the D.C.M ( don't come Monday ) Moyes is no different . Still I'd willing settle for a bit of disloyalty of getting the sack for a few million wouldn't you?:thumbup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

I think the 'genius' would fall flat on his arse at United, particularly at this moment in time. 

He would do for United what he did for Liverpool. Rodgers needs creative strikers for his system to work. Players who can create goals out of the possession. A natural finisher like Kane who mostly just gets on the end of things will score less than someone who can create their own chances from 1v1s. Ronaldo, Fernandes and Pogba would flourish under Rodgers. 

9 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....his subsequent appointments prior to West Ham did not prove that to be the case!!!

Absolutely. If we'd gone for Moyes instead of Rodgers in 2019 this place would not have been impressed.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Guest454545 said:

He would do for United what he did for Liverpool. Rodgers needs creative strikers for his system to work. Players who can create goals out of the possession. A natural finisher like Kane who mostly just gets on the end of things will score less than someone who can create their own chances from 1v1s. Ronaldo, Fernandes and Pogba would flourish under Rodgers. 

He got sacked from Liverpool, he had arguably one good season and muffed that up at the end too. Hopefully he learnt from those mistakes but end of season history did appear to repeat itself here as well twice. I just wonder how much those players you mentioned and others of similar ilk would buy into him or respect him the way others do with bona-fide elite managers like Klopp and Guardiola etc. They would be able to smell bullshit a mile off if he tried any.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

He got sacked from Liverpool, he had arguably one good season and muffed that up at the end too. Hopefully he learnt from those mistakes but end of season history did appear to repeat itself here as well twice. I just wonder how much those players you mentioned and others of similar ilk would buy into him or respect him the way others do with bona-fide elite managers like Klopp and Guardiola etc. They would be able to smell bullshit a mile off if he tried any.

He got sacked from Liverpool after losing his two strikers the season before. 

Top players want good coaching. He's a good coach. He also treats players like adults. He would fit in at United no problem. And if he brought Tielemans with him, he would flourish. 

48 minutes ago, Guest454545 said:

He got sacked from Liverpool after losing his two strikers the season before. 

Top players want good coaching. He's a good coach. He also treats players like adults. He would fit in at United no problem. And if he brought Tielemans with him, he would flourish. 

I think currently, Ndidi would be of more use to them than Tielemans personally.