Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

Just now, Ric Flair said:

Formations and personnel do make a difference. Its pretty obvious. 3 at the back with wingbacks that are full backs and crap as wingbacks means there's 1 extra defender on the pitch instead of another attacking player and with wingbacks not good enough to run the flank on their own they are isolated and creativity is restricted. 

We have played this system so much in 2021 and largely been turgid and easy to negate. 

Yet we have also broke a bad run using this formation. :dunno:

I think his formation is wrong. We look crap with five at the back. Get some direct wingers on and attack from the off, especially against a weaker side like that.

The Arsenal game I knew after five minutes that we shot ourselves in the foot with the formation. We also try and play possession football from the back which tends to get us into trouble. We’re not good enough to break sides down like that. We’re much better using our pace and getting behind the oppo. 

Edited by buzzer_b
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Everyone having solutions in hindsight.. it’s just a blip, it’s going on for longer than we’d like but we’ll arrest it soon. We just need the luck to turn. It was fine margins tonight. 

Do you know what the definition of insanity is? Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome.

Doesn't matter how pro Rodgers you are, he takes full responsibility for that tonight. Playing 5 at the back against inferior opposition and then not changing the system all game, which didn't work at all is incredible. Never seen such an inflexible manager who will never admit his mistakes. He's a brilliant coach and that's papered over the cracks of some very questionable managerial performances.

Just now, Dahnsouff said:

Yet we have also broke a bad run using this formation. :dunno:

What use is that formation tonight against a team with no intention of attacking? Its been the story of 2021 when we come up against teams that sit back and we play 3 at the back with no support for our unsuitable wingbacks. You don't need an extra defender against such opposition, surely you can see that? 

1 minute ago, pmcla26 said:

Dewsbury-Hall/Iheanacho moment, Vardy’s penalty miss, Soumare effort?

Not fine margins really when you consider having more than 75% possession against a poor team. We are poor at the moment and trying to gloss over it is unhelpful in my opinion. But I admire your optimism. 

I think a lot of you are looking at the wrong place. Watch your game back again and focus on Tielemans in the first 15 minutes - mistakes and low tempo from the kick off. He is your talisman midfielder. Bags of talent, but next to no dynamism. He doesn't drive your team forward. Compare with Henderson for Liverpool - less talent than Tielemans, but constantly pushing Liverpool forward. I watched that game today as a neutral and I can't imagine having to watch your main midfielder coasting like Tielemans did, every week. Same with Madison past few months. Both playing like they expected to be at big money clubs this season, for big money. But those moves didn't happen, and now they don't get out of second gear. You can blame Rodgers for sticking with them, but for your game today, you can thank underperforming midfielders and strikers not worth the shirt. You had 17 shots and 9 corners and 74% possession. You did enough to win. Rodgers can't put the ball on target for players though. And he can't make Tielemans raise his energy and impact. He can, though, replace him with a more dynamic player. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, tickler28 said:

Been here for over 2 years now and in that time has failed to make us an effective team at attacking a low block....he literally has made zero progress 

He did do. From Feb 2019 to Jan 2020 we were astonishing vs teams who played this way against us, we won something daft like 14 out of 17 games against such opposition. We were ruthless and relentless.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

What use is that formation tonight against a team with no intention of attacking? Its been the story of 2021 when we come up against teams that sit back and we play 3 at the back with no support for our unsuitable wingbacks. You don't need an extra defender against such opposition, surely you can see that? 

What's stopping one of the central defenders from pushing up into the attack? 

I don't get why people are not more angry. I can't stand watching us at the minute, it's dire. We can't blame playing personal, we had what was perceived at the time as a great summer window and on paper we have one of the strongest squads we've ever had. 

I think some people are just not understanding what an important and defining season this is for us. **** it up and we stand to lose so much. We won't be in Europe next year's and at least one, probably more, of our best players are already heading out of the door. We had to make this season count, by either winning Europa or finishing Top 4. Both of those things seem delusional to even discuss now but before the season kicked off I guarantee these were our expectations and probably the expectations of the players. We've failed badly so far, and it doesn't look like it's going to gey much better unless Wes and Justin hit the ground absolutely flying after Christmas, even then what were our seasons goals will be out of reach.

Summer will come, and it's literally make or break. We either make massive, massive investment in playing staff and finally make that step up, or we fall into mid-table mediocrity or worse. We've had the best few years in the clubs history and we should have doubled down and capitalised on it. We haven't, and it will haunt us. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Guest454545 said:

I think a lot of you are looking at the wrong place. Watch your game back again and focus on Tielemans in the first 15 minutes - mistakes and low tempo from the kick off. He is your talisman midfielder. Bags of talent, but next to no dynamism. He doesn't drive your team forward. Compare with Henderson for Liverpool - less talent than Tielemans, but constantly pushing Liverpool forward. I watched that game today as a neutral and I can't imagine having to watch your main midfielder coasting like Tielemans did, every week. Same with Madison past few months. Both playing like they expected to be at big money clubs this season, for big money. But those moves didn't happen, and now they don't get out of second gear. You can blame Rodgers for sticking with them, but for your game today, you can thank underperforming midfielders and strikers not worth the shirt. You had 17 shots and 9 corners and 74% possession. You did enough to win. Rodgers can't put the ball on target for players though. And he can't make Tielemans raise his energy and impact. He can, though, replace him with a more dynamic player. 

I agree, mostly. He's world class but he can be quite slow in possession and quite slow tracking runs back. Everything goes through him, especially in a 3-5-2, because he's our playmaker and our best player, which may be a big contributing factor to our slow, tame and passive style of play.

Edited by Ricey
  • Like 2

I do fear he has peaked with us, or us with him. However you want to interpret that. We've been under performing for far too long now, can he turn it around? I'm unconvinced.

It's frustrating to see us making the same mistakes over and over again, with our best squad ever. It's frustrating to see us playing such slow, turgid football. 

I do wonder how much missing out on Champions League football on the last day of the season two years in a row has affected the players, mentally. Maybe we have a hangover of sorts, it would certainly explain the malaise we find ourselves in. In any case, as I said in the post match thread, let's try to enjoy the last two European games, because I do fear it'll be a while before we see European football again. 

Not saying he should go. I said that when I created a thread asking who we look to go for next, and got torn into by a few people for even creating the thread! 

4 minutes ago, Guest454545 said:

Thanks, Guest454545.

3 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

I don't get why people are not more angry. I can't stand watching us at the minute, it's dire. We can't blame playing personal, we had what was perceived at the time as a great summer window and on paper we have one of the strongest squads we've ever had. 

I think some people are just not understanding what an important and defining season this is for us. **** it up and we stand to lose so much. We won't be in Europe next year's and at least one, probably more, of our best players are already heading out of the door. We had to make this season count, by either winning Europa or finishing Top 4. Both of those things seem delusional to even discuss now but before the season kicked off I guarantee these were our expectations and probably the expectations of the players. We've failed badly so far, and it doesn't look like it's going to gey much better unless Wes and Justin hit the ground absolutely flying after Christmas, even then what were our seasons goals will be out of reach.

Summer will come, and it's literally make or break. We either make massive, massive investment in playing staff and finally make that step up, or we fall into mid-table mediocrity or worse. We've had the best few years in the clubs history and we should have doubled down and capitalised on it. We haven't, and it will haunt us. 

I wrote that we were in crisis and I was laughed at.  Some choose not to see it. I hope we turn it around soon. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

It’ll suck, yeah, but the world won’t end if we don’t qualify for Europe this season.