Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

1 minute ago, Guest454545 said:

You don't have a top four squad. That's just a basic fact. City, Chelsea, Liverpool, United all have better squads. You only have two players who have scored more than one goal in the league. Your back three are an aging defender, an inconsistent but sometimes good one, and a converted midfielder. Your top scorer is closer to retirement. Aiming for the top 6 is exactly where Leicester should be, with a bit of hope of making top four if one of the big clubs slip up. And your are on course for that right now. 

I know we don't have a top 4 squad.  I know we're aren't good enough even at our best to displace Chelsea, Liverpool, City etc.  That chance has gone because those teams keep improving.  

I do thing though that our team is better than the showings they are putting out and for me this sits firmly at Rodgers door.

My personal opinion is that on paper our team is probably the 5th or 6th best in the league, but our performances are no where near that and haven't been for literally months. 

Chalk tonight up as one of Rodgers’ 3 instances of a complete clanger that happen each season which mean he’s not good enough for the elite/‘Big Six’ level just yet.

Back 5 against a poor Spartak side who came to sit behind the ball and slow to change it even when first half we looked poor.

We’ll forgive and forget these mistakes, Brendan. A Man City, Barcelona or anywhere else that you clearly see yourself moving to in the not too distant future will not.

Edited by Freeman's Wharfer

2 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Chalk tonight up as one of Rodgers’ 3 instances of a complete clanger that happen each season which mean he’s not good enough for the elite/‘Big Six’ level just yet.

Back 5 against a poor Spartak side who came to sit behind the ball and slow to change it even when first half we looked poor.

We’ll forgive and forget these mistakes, Brendan. A Man City, Barcelona or anywhere else that you clearly see yourself moving too in the not too distant future will not.

You forgive incompetence far easier than I do. 

Edited by Kilworthfox
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, kristianity77 said:

I know we don't have a top 4 squad.  I know we're aren't good enough even at our best to displace Chelsea, Liverpool, City etc.  That chance has gone because those teams keep improving.  

I do thing though that our team is better than the showings they are putting out and for me this sits firmly at Rodgers door.

My personal opinion is that on paper our team is probably the 5th or 6th best in the league, but our performances are no where near that and haven't been for literally months. 

Literally months ago you finished 5th though?

20 minutes ago, Cecchini1976 said:

What brand of football do you want? Best football in my Lifetime. Going backwards??? Lol do you expect us to win the league lol 😂. Enjoy what we have now, as if you think this is bad i would love to know a period in your time as a Leicester fan that was better? This is the best period in our history 

How old are you   better under Bloomfield and Gillies   and  more exciting under  

1 minute ago, Guest454545 said:

Literally months ago you finished 5th though?

Yes, but we aren't in May anymore, we are in November and we don't look anywhere near as good as we did.  Hence we are throwing away a europa league group that was one of the easiest to get out of (in theory) and are struggling in the league 

One thing I will say is you can’t really get on his back for playing the back three. 

We have to when Barnes isn’t available, because we have no width otherwise.

We’ve got a problems all over the pitch, the main one being were either playing with no confidence, or are being instructed to play a certain way. 

Either way it isn’t good, and we’re in for a painfully long and inconsistent season. 

9 minutes ago, Cecchini1976 said:

But compared to the teams you believe we should finish above and get in the top 4 our outlay is peanuts and wages are peanuts 

Those seasons we should have, those collapses were astounding considering the seasons we had. I don't believe we should be nailed on to finish top 4, I think we are a top 6 team but I do believe we should also be far more competitive than what we have shown. The concern is how we finished the season in the league and how we have performed across the board so far this season. The football is uninspiring, we aren't effective, we lack character and nothing changes week in week out.

2 minutes ago, kristianity77 said:

Yes, but we aren't in May anymore, we are in November and we don't look anywhere near as good as we did.  Hence we are throwing away a europa league group that was one of the easiest to get out of (in theory) and are struggling in the league 

The league isn't even a third done though. You have 28 games left to make up 6 points to the top 4. Making a judgment now, especially when a missed penalty is all that separates your result from a disappointing draw from an important win, seems reactionary. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, kristianity77 said:

He's not failed as such but it is without question that he finds it difficult to turns slumps around.

Yes, two 5th placed finishes but look where we were in those seasons with a dozen games to go.  Two huge implosions which were only arrested when we finished the season and started the next.  Two years in a row.

This season we've started badly and it shows no sign of stopping.  What is he showing that gives an indication of our fortunes turning around?  Nothing, it's the same brand of football week in week out which isn't working.  We are going backwards as a team due to his rigid tactics that he won't deviate from.  

What is failure we have less points than  Spurs who have sacked their manager

1 minute ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

Those seasons we should have, those collapses were astounding considering the seasons we had. I don't believe we should be nailed on to finish top 4, I think we are a top 6 team but I do believe we should also be far more competitive than what we have shown. The concern is how we finished the season in the league and how we have performed across the board so far this season. The football is uninspiring, we aren't effective, we lack character and nothing changes week in week out.

If we finish 9th or 10th this season I would agree with what you say, but it’s early days and I believe we will be in the mix to finish top 6 come may. I may be wrong but hope I’m not lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, kristianity77 said:

Tielemens is world class, he's just surrounded on the pitch by people not on his level.  You put Tielemens in the Liverpool side or the Man City side and he shines just as bright as most.

He wouldn’t start in those teams. I think he’s class, but he wouldn’t get away with his lengthy bad patches at either of those clubs, his errors and weakness would be magnified ten-fold. He’d be another Thiago or Keita. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Guest454545 said:

The league isn't even a third done though. You have 28 games left to make up 6 points to the top 4. Making a judgment now, especially when a missed penalty is all that separates your result from a disappointing draw from an important win, seems reactionary. 

It's is just that simple? Maybe. 

However consider this :

We are awful at defending and attacking any set peice, and I acknowledge we scored tonight, but that is a collectors item. 

We create almost no clear cut chances from all of our posession... 77% tonight, and how many 1v1s how many amazing saves did the Spartak keeper have to make? 

Oh we can't defend! 

We are so slow in posession it wouldn't trouble your grandparents. 

We are bereft of any confidence we take no risks with the ball and just end up playing uninspiring sideways, and back passes under the pretence that we are controlling the game, when in fact the opposition are allowing us to have the ball in safe areas that we can't hurt them. 

Or is it that we missed 1 penalty? No! We were a top 5 side, now we are a shambles, make your mind up. 

Edited by Kilworthfox
  • Thanks 2

Rodgers, or the team in general just seem out of ideas or steam as a group. I'm not entirely sure what our style is supposed to be, it's a total mystery. It seems to be 'dont lose the ball' + 'hope someone scores somehow' football played at walking speed and with an awful defence. At the moment, we're just going into every game with the hopes that the other team are somehow shitter than us otherwise it's a tough watch.

Weirdly, we've seen over the last years that we are at our best when the team press, play it quickly and attack in numbers, yet we never really see this until we REALLY need a goal. 

Hope something changes but I think it'll be dire until early next year. Lords Justin and Fofana will save us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I really don't see how we are growing as a team.

Signings like Vestergaard & Bertrand speak volumes - panic buys or not.

We seem to be pinning all of our hopes on the return of Fofana who, when fit, will be the next player to leave when an opportunity arises.

Im happy we got into Europe twice and got an FA cup, Rodgers will always be respected for that. He's a good manager but i do think he's a bit overrated, especially on here, if he fails with us the top 6 wont go near him, i can see him going to bundesliga or something. As a leicester manager he's been a success, in terms of what Rodgers himself returned to the Prem for, to prove he's a top manager capable of performing at one of the big jobs, i think he's failed so far and unless something drastically changes he's never going to be seen as a top manager because honestly he's just not. Just too many things seem to go wrong with him, at us, at liverpool and at Celtic (in Europe)

Edited by honeybradger

5 minutes ago, Cecchini1976 said:

If we finish 9th or 10th this season I would agree with what you say, but it’s early days and I believe we will be in the mix to finish top 6 come may. I may be wrong but hope I’m not lol 

I too hope I'm wrong. I'd love for us to start churning out results, admittedly while getting forward quicker and having a bit more cutting edge lol I would still like to hear BR face some tougher questions, I feel we deserve a little more than the 'I thought we played well' opening line.

1 hour ago, Guest454545 said:

I think a lot of you are looking at the wrong place. Watch your game back again and focus on Tielemans in the first 15 minutes - mistakes and low tempo from the kick off. He is your talisman midfielder. Bags of talent, but next to no dynamism. He doesn't drive your team forward. Compare with Henderson for Liverpool - less talent than Tielemans, but constantly pushing Liverpool forward. I watched that game today as a neutral and I can't imagine having to watch your main midfielder coasting like Tielemans did, every week. Same with Madison past few months. Both playing like they expected to be at big money clubs this season, for big money. But those moves didn't happen, and now they don't get out of second gear. You can blame Rodgers for sticking with them, but for your game today, you can thank underperforming midfielders and strikers not worth the shirt. You had 17 shots and 9 corners and 74% possession. You did enough to win. Rodgers can't put the ball on target for players though. And he can't make Tielemans raise his energy and impact. He can, though, replace him with a more dynamic player. 

.....you haven't watched us much!!!

Tielemans lacks pace, he always has done and we knew what we were getting when he came here. He is not a dynamic player but what he does in games is pretty special. Maddison is also not a dynamic player, he has plateaued but they are not playing in second gear because they have failed to get the move you allege them to be waiting for.

We are not noted for scoring from corners, you picked a good night to watch that event happening tonight, we have gone over 200 corners without scoring. Possession is not everything, we proved all that when we won the league.

At the moment we are a team out of synch and a manager who repeatedly selects a formation, disproportional to the teams we are playing.

If we take exactly our last 38 Premier League games and pretend that that makes a season's worth of form, what we would get from that is 62 points; which last year would have seen us finish 7th/8th, and is in fact the points total we got when we finished 5th 2 seasons ago.

Rather more concerning is that the initial 19 games starting from last season contains only 3 losses and accounts for 38/62 points, whereas in our most recent 19, we have lost JUST under 50% of those games with 9 losses and 24 points - if we were to remain on pace for 24 points from the next 18 games, we would finish on 48 points, which is usually in the region of 12th/13th and usually occupied by teams looking over their shoulders towards the relegation spots rather than Europe.

Now this actually doesn't necessarily mean anything. Teams don't just homogenously continue with identical form, and we're unlikely to have the exact same points haul as the last 19 games, and it is also just a somewhat random amount of games to look at when I started with the full 38, and we've definitely had injury issues but I do think it shows a worrying trend that has definitely lasted a while now. We are definitely not playing like a team pushing for any kind of European football based on form and haven't been really for half a season's worth of games.

What that means for Rodgers isn't really for me to say. I would very much like him to turn us around from this and I still think he should be backed to do so - however I can definitely see an argument that if we're still peddling lower midtable form by January that Top might have a decision to make if the requirement for the club is to push for European places.

Edited by The_Rorab