Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

There seems to be a shift in perception happening, unfortunately. 

Large swathes of the support are becoming disillusioned and frustrated with not only the results, but the dire football we're churning out week-after-week, with no real signs of progress out of the rut we're in.

A bad result against Leeds and I think the calls for his head will begin to get louder. 

Still not seen any valid options for who we would get in should Rodgers leave. 

Potter wouldn't 'entertain' like we want Rodgers to. His 'brand' or 'style' is actually quite similar. Control games and retain possession, low risk and less cautious for most of the time. 

Not sure who else we could realistically get who sets the world on fire like we want our current team to... 

• Like 1

Why are people reacting like a 1-1 draw is the reason fans are questioning Rodgers? 

The reason fans are questioning Rodgers, is the same reason fans are questioning Ole at United.....

He's got a far better bunch of players than the results suggest.

Out in Europe to minnows last season, unlikely to even get out of the group this season, 11th in the League, poor recruitment (Vestegaard + Bertrand)......

Rodgers is living on a Tielemans wondergoal.

A player by the way, he's yet to convince to sign a new deal, and we will be losing.

• Like 1

I'm guessing a lot of are weirdo fans would like to see Rodgers sacked.

Honest question - if we did sack him (which we won't) who do you realistically think we would replace him with and do you honestly think we'd be better off?

A team like Leicester can't be winning trophies every season (even though technically we won the FA Cup last season and the Community Shield this season).

Some people just need to get a grip.

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Potter wouldn't 'entertain' like we want Rodgers to. His 'brand' or 'style' is actually quite similar. Control games and retain possession, low risk and less cautious for most of the time. 

Not sure who else we could realistically get who sets the world on fire like we want our current team to... 

RUDI GARCIA

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scanchez said:

I'm guessing a lot of are weirdo fans would like to see Rodgers sacked.

Honest question - if we did sack him (which we won't) who do you realistically think we would replace him with and do you honestly think we'd be better off?

A team like Leicester can't be winning trophies every season (even though technically we won the FA Cup last season and the Community Shield this season).

Some people just need to get a grip.

Our**

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Have you ever watched us this season?

We don't 'control games and retain possession' at all.

Passing the ball between your defenders whilst the opposition can get into shape to hit you on the counter is not 'control'. 'Control' is when a side is able to do what they want, a side can have 20% possession but still have complete control of the game, like we did, when we won the league.

Brighton time and time again are able to build up, from the back into the final third, the problem is, they don't have any real quality up there at all.

Vardy/Daka/Barnes/Maddison/Lookman/Iheanacho etc vs Maupay/Trossard/Welbeck.

If it wasn't because of how much individual quality we have, we would be closer to 17th than 7th.

Really interested in where people like @Kilworthfox @Matt and @NeilLCFCthink we should be finishing up then?

Accounting for the massive resources available at the 'big 6' and similar resources and squad qualities at clubs who are also pushing for top 8 finishes like West Ham, Everton, etc. We also need to count for 30+ year trend of how difficult it is for teams other than the 'big 6' to break into the Top 4/Top 6. 

Or is it just about the performances? 

2 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Your new obsession for the month? ;) 

Not at all but various fans are dismissing any notion of there being a manager we could attract that might be able to get us back on track. I believe there is one obvious candidate and that's Garcia. I'm sure there are others but in scenario's like this, fans will bat off any criticism of a regime by demanding who would be better, its an easy stance to take instead of providing up to date and relevant evidence of support for the current regime.

Rodgers gets the season anyway at the very least, it would take monumental continuation and worsening of this slump for the club to act. They gave Puel best part of a year of us being beyond shit.

There is precious little evidence to suggest we are as good as some people on here think we are. We have the odd good spells but overall we play like a team just above mid table. This is not too bad really but obviously not good enough for some. We can certainly do a bit better than we are at the moment but only enough to get us about seventh or eighth in the table. If we want that coveted top six place our defence has to improve considerably.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

This ‘on another day it’d been…’ that’s being said in different places today is some of the worst bollocks of the season. If you think the every single one of the only opportunities of note hitting the back of the net is sufficient for on another we’d win that comfortably then you can’t watch much football. 

I mean we can all go for absurd ‘another days’. On another day Man Utd could have been 3-0 up at half time, Palace could have beaten us 6-0, Wolves come from behind to beat us easily, Brentford beat us 2-0 comfortably, even Norwich manage at least a draw.

We were poor yet again. We had 0.17 xG until the 57th minute, a team with almost no attacking ambition managed 0.36 in that time. Our open-play xG was 0.89 (caveated by the fact the move for the penalty could have given us a decent chance) because all we created in the whole game was the KDH/Iheanacho game.

Again really worried by his post-match press conference. He thought the fact we could have played it quicker would be nitpicking, thinks we created chances and said we arrived into good areas a lot of the time which I’m not sure I agree with but even if we did, to be unable to arrive into good areas and actually have a shot isn’t good. 

Never read too much into post match press conferences. If he goes and says that the players didn’t play well, weren’t quick enough etc then it looks like he’s losing control and the players won’t appreciate it either. Brendan’s never been one to publicly criticise the players.

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Not at all but various fans are dismissing any notion of there being a manager we could attract that might be able to get us back on track. I believe there is one obvious candidate and that's Garcia. I'm sure there are others but in scenario's like this, fans will bat off any criticism of a regime by demanding who would be better, its an easy stance to take instead of providing up to date and relevant evidence of support for the current regime.

Rodgers gets the season anyway at the very least, it would take monumental continuation and worsening of this slump for the club to act. They gave Puel best part of a year of us being beyond shit.

Garcia hasn't won anything in a decade. You'd be better off getting someone like Benitez or Villas Boas in that case

Edited by Guest454545

12 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

RUDI GARCIA

I like him a lot. Still back Rodgers but would we go with someone with no previous pl experience? Recent history suggests we wouldn’t. I do find it strange how well Rodgers can do domestically in cup competitions but in Europe struggles to get past the knockout stages. Not just here but also at Liverpool. 

8 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Really interested in where people like @Kilworthfox @Matt and @NeilLCFCthink we should be finishing up then?

Accounting for the massive resources available at the 'big 6' and similar resources and squad qualities at clubs who are also pushing for top 8 finishes like West Ham, Everton, etc. We also need to count for 30+ year trend of how difficult it is for teams other than the 'big 6' to break into the Top 4/Top 6. 

I like your analysis very much, so please do not think it is unappreciated. 

But not everything can be explained on a spreadsheet, otherwise how did little Leicester ever manage a Premier League win or FA Cup win for example? 

Yes I believe most accept that the prlerformances are dire. That trend is turning many fans against BR so it's not just us vocal 3.

I will be honest, I neve liked BR, but when the majority are happy, and we win and do well how can I complain? I can't that is illogical. 

I am pleased that I am seeing a golden age as a LCFC fan, please do not misunderstand me.  I have watched us for over 30 years. I've been involved within football at the club, as I love the club more than I logically should.I know a little about how a club runs and how players are evaluated. I dont know everything! 

Where should we finish? Well without injuries in the last 2 seasons top 4, maybe top 3, as results showed that. 

Now you can say that's over achieving, and I'd accept that from a financial viewpoint.  However you have to commend the recruitment team for this over everything. As a manager is only as good as the team he puts to the field. 

My point now is with no loss of key players how are we doing worse in comparison with last season? 

Can you ignore the drop off in 2021?

Can you ignore the dire football? 

I've said not anything personal, I've just written the facts as I see them. I want to win it all, that is the mentally I've been drilled having been within football and nothing less is acceptable! You however can accept losing to lesser teams. But our squad is able to finish top 4, now that's subjective on my part, but it is what I have seen in the past 2 seasons as evidence. We have title winners, experienced players yet we are now weak and soft, I hate this and BR is ultimately accountable for the results...  That's why he has the role. 

So if he is the man, let's see, but I see no evidence of him willing to change. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The problem we find ourselves in is we have been successful. Jaw dropping successful 5 years ago and then successful in the last 2 years too. We are the poster boy club of medium sized clubs that get the majority of things right and make a mockery of the traditional elite. We possibly over achieve or at least maximise our capabilities and seize any under achievement and malaise from the clubs with bigger financial clout than us. 

We have proven we can do this and then back it up, this is no fluke and we've worked damn hard to put ourselves in the position we've gotten in. The machine goes on and we buy low and sell high occasionally and then reinvest, with momentum like that we have and can keep fighting for progression. However as things are now worryingly tailing off, the excuses come out that what do we expect. We are a club with the 7th or 8th highest wage budget and revenue blah blah blah so why should we be any higher than we are likely to end up if this slump continues. And there lies a huge tolerance for staying in our lane, for putting the shutters down on failure and criticism and using the get out of jail card of measuring us against other clubs of our size. A classic tactic in passing the blame and laughably the complete opposite mindset and mentality this club has had in order to have done what it's done since our return to the Prem.

It's the same with our injury problems, whilst we were still able to maintain a top 4 position the majority of last season with various injuries we sat there proud as punch and derided Liverpool and other clubs who had injury problems and moaned about their woes and being able to compete. Yet now we have hit another slump and we put it mainly down to our injuries or players returning and being a shadow of their former self for a long time. Its easy to use those excuses and convince ourselves we are still maximising our capabilities given the tools at our disposal but that's bull shit and you know it.

If that was the case then why are we defending so badly? A few weeks ago it was because of Evans not being there to marshall the troops, now its because Fofana is still out and Justin. What's causing us to play such laboured and tepid possession football? Is this just nature of the beast for a club with the 7th or 8th largest wage bill and budget and that's what you get for your money? The fast, attacking and dynamic football that we have seen in large chunks was just a bonus, it was a purple patch and we should just be thankful we saw it but never use it as a benchmark for what this lot and the management are capable of? No, better to measure the teams output when it's at its worst and point to others around us and be happy with your lot.

Well bollocks to you, I shan't be. History is littered with case studies of football teams who regress and the management fail to turn it around but are given the opportunity to do so because they earnt the right from what they'd achieved. I can't think of too many recent examples where a manager has done so but I'm praying Rodgers can as its never nice to realise this is the end of the road. An overhaul will be needed for Rodgers to get us back on track, or a new managers ideas will be needed. It's classic for a manager to lose effectiveness after a few years of immediate success, happens time and time again. Very few come back and do it again.

1 minute ago, Kilworthfox said:

I like your analysis very much, so please do not think it is unappreciated. 

But not everything can be explained on a spreadsheet, otherwise how did little Leicester ever manage a Premier League win or FA Cup win for example? 

Yes I believe most accept that the prlerformances are dire. That trend is turning many fans against BR so it's not just us vocal 3.

I will be honest, I neve liked BR, but when the majority are happy, and we win and do well how can I complain? I can't that is illogical. 

I am pleased that I am seeing a golden age as a LCFC fan, please do not misunderstand me.  I have watched us for over 30 years. I've been involved within football at the club, as I love the club more than I logically should.I know a little about how a club runs and how players are evaluated. I dont know everything! 

Where should we finish? Well without injuries in the last 2 seasons top 4, maybe top 3, as results showed that. 

Now you can say that's over achieving, and I'd accept that from a financial viewpoint.  However you have to commend the recruitment team for this over everything. As a manager is only as good as the team he puts to the field. 

My point now is with no loss of key players how are we doing worse in comparison with last season? 

Can you ignore the drop off in 2021?

Can you ignore the dire football? 

I've said not anything personal, I've just written the facts as I see them. I want to win it all, that is the mentally I've been drilled having been within football and nothing less is acceptable! You however can accept losing to lesser teams. But our squad is able to finish top 4, now that's subjective on my part, but it is what I have seen in the past 2 seasons as evidence. We have title winners, experienced players yet we are now weak and soft, I hate this and BR is ultimately accountable for the results...  That's why he has the role. 

So if he is the man, let's see, but I see no evidence of him willing to change.

Great responses.

Thanks for the discussion. I totally agree, by the way, it's clear that we're stuck in an odd position of the club having massively progressed under Rodgers, but in a lot of ways, the football itself has regressed. And we are definitely in a long slump now. 

I do agree with your comments @Ric Flair about how people like to pick and choose when they use injuries/finances as excuses. And you are correct that if the club wants to continue to progress to a 'big club' mentality then it needs to avoid such things. 

I suppose what I'm talking about is expectations of the wider fan base. I think it's totally correct that the club itself (and even the fans) are ambitious and seek success. But I wonder about where it all takes us? Do we become a Chelsea style club where successful and decent managers get the sack if they simply don't finish top 4, without any recognition that (as I think you put it Ric) there's simply too many sharks in the tank? 

• Like 1

It seems to me that BR is breeding negativity into our players.

Apart from the United game (where they shot themselves in the foot) when was the last time we looked confident and played on the front foot?... when we won the title we always came charging out of the blocks, took the game to our opponents, we were feared and aggressive!

.. compare that to now!, we look scared, timid, weak and there for the taking.

Nothing is going to change under BR.

Sorry, but I think we need a change of Manager, someone who will instill confidence into the team again, someone who wants to win games rather than just being afraid of losing them!

... who that Manager is I'm not sure. Maybe Graham Potter?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Great responses.

Thanks for the discussion. I totally agree, by the way, it's clear that we're stuck in an odd position of the club having massively progressed under Rodgers, but in a lot of ways, the football itself has regressed. And we are definitely in a long slump now. 

I do agree with your comments @Ric Flair about how people like to pick and choose when they use injuries/finances as excuses. And you are correct that if the club wants to continue to progress to a 'big club' mentality then it needs to avoid such things. 

I suppose what I'm talking about is expectations of the wider fan base. I think it's totally correct that the club itself (and even the fans) are ambitious and seek success. But I wonder about where it all takes us? Do we become a Chelsea style club where successful and decent managers get the sack if they simply don't finish top 4, without any recognition that (as I think you put it Ric) there's simply too many sharks in the tank? 

I find myself flip flopping between it all though, so it's no surprise. For example if I read another teams fans mocking us for being crap this season, I'd stick up for us and probably peddle the same bull shit that I get angry about reading from our own fans. I then criticise our club for the repeated mistakes and poor football we have largely seen for a long while now.

In moments like this, I ask myself a simple honest question. Are we playing to within a margin of our capabilities? The answer is no and therefore questions should be asked.

• Like 3

I’ll be the first to admit it’s been a disappointing start to the season but to suggest Rodgers is fighting for his job in the coming weeks and months is ridiculous. So long as we’re not under any threat of relegation he should get the full season at least. 

11 minutes ago, weller54 said:

It seems to me that BR is breeding negativity into our players.

Apart from the United game (where they shot themselves in the foot) when was the last time we looked confident and played on the front foot?... when we won the title we always came charging out of the blocks, took the game to our opponents, we were feared and aggressive!

.. compare that to now!, we look scared, timid, weak and there for the taking.

Nothing is going to change under BR.

Sorry, but I think we need a change of Manager, someone who will instill confidence into the team again, someone who wants to win games rather than just being afraid of losing them!

... who that Manager is I'm not sure. Maybe Graham Potter?

I'm fully on-board with Rudi Garcia if it happened now, but nothing will change until the end of the season at least.  At that point you would explore all options, including Garcia and Potter.

9 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I'd say we've easily got the fifth best squad in the league. So there's your bar. 

A lot of fuss is made, as is typical with Leicester really, about our manager and how well he's done to get us competing for a champions league place in the last two years or in winning the FA Cup. Despite that, I have thought, pretty much the whole time really, that this was about par for the squad. 

Don't get me wrong here, I think Rodgers has done well up to now. He's delivered exactly what was expected of him, he's met all his targets and at times he's had us playing genuinely attractive football that I've really enjoyed. 

But the common defence of him by pointing at his achievements needs to be viewed through a lens of correct context. As I said in the post match thread, whilst it's true he's been more consistently successful than any Leicester manager in the Premier League era, he's also got the best squad that Leicester have ever had in the Premier League era (if not all time.)

This is the highest profile the club has ever had, the best the recruitment team has ever been, the best facilities we've ever had, the most money the club has ever had, the most pulling power and global attention we've ever had. 

This all means the bar against which any manager we have is measured is higher. I can tolerate (up to a point) the media falling in to the same trap of blindly defending Rodgers because they view he's gotten "tinpot Leicester" to the dizzy heights of fifth, but its disappointing reading our own fans falling for the same. 

He's not beyond reproach because he won the cup or finished fifth because we're exactly the sort of squad that SHOULD be doing those things. 

All of that said, it'd be equally absurd to want to sack a manager that's delivered consistently on what can reasonably be expected of him and I think calling for his head at this point is a bit nuts. It's way too early in the season to have given up entirely that he can turn it around. 

I acknowledge there's cause for alarm and I am concerned, nervous even, about the next couple months. But if he steadies the ship, takes us on a good run of form and we finish 6/7 in the league after a few tough years and a lot of key injuries? That's pretty much par again and a job well done. 

I think that is a very fair viewpoint all round and agree entirely. Overall, with two 5th place finishes, whilst you'd have to be happy with that, let's not forget the dramatic nosedive on two occasions also, essentially our Liverpool nearly moments. Our squad was very much of 5th place quality player wise so we, as you say, shouldn't have been put off by the 'tinpot Leicester' tag of the Manchester and London focused biased media or their making of Rodgers a British demi God because he's far from it. 

Undoubtedly overall, he's done a decent job but certainly had all the tools in his box to do so lest some forget. Now he faces a distinct challenge because despite injuries, his methods/tactics have, despite the very odd bright moment, led to poor results and certainly a deterioration on the field of play both aesthetically and performance wise. I wish him well but he too needs to start to learn lessons because he's far from having earned the elite tag certain media sources appear to assign him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

This is largely the root of the issue with things branching of it.

Listen I love shithousing a result and I’ll take wins over performances but we’re not even shithousing results. To have neither results or performances, well, you’ve got a real problem haven’t you?

I wanna be excited and enjoy going to watch my team but enthusiasm is and has been dwindling for quite a while now and whilst we’re in a better position I don’t really see too much has changed regarding being excitement, entertainment or happy with how we’ve played to what Puel was serving up certainly on a consistent basis, there has been the odd game but we had that under Puel as I said.

It’s an effort and chore to go to games know you’re going to watch negative football, feeling more and more disconnect with the team and game.

I’ve made the point quite abit recently it’s not necessarily a problem exclusive to us, it’s a problem with football in general and this one size fits all style.

Its dreary, it’s negative, it’s boring and people talk about certain other ways not being sustainable, not working or not being successful, well I’d certainly argue this isn’t any of those either not on a consistent basis. There’s a time and place for it but not every. single. game.

We must be one of these easier teams opposition come up against, they don’t mind us domination possession, they are happy to let us have possession.

We dominate possession but we couldn’t be further away from dominating games.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1