Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

I'm sorry, I can't have the 'injuries' being an excuse for our inability to defend, whether it be set pieces or in open play.

They're not the reason we're playing so poorly.

Liverpool had half a dozen defenders out last year, we've got just Fofana + Justin, who despite showing glimpses of good form last year, are not Van Dijk ffs.

It's as simple as it being poor quality coaching.

We had a fully fit squad last season, apart from Justin, and we were as awful for the last 6 months of the season as we have been so far this season.

It's typical of football fans though, to put a bigger emphasis on players when they're missing. Fofana + Justin are not automatically first choice at all, yet people on here are acting like we're missing the equivalent of Kante+Mahrez from the title winning season.

• Like 3

Can't believe I'm gonna say this....I just completely agreed with something inciteful Michael Owen said :ph34r:

He was going on about Ole/Man United, and how he needs to learn from Klopp.

When they first started playing how they play now, they were going 3-0 up but also then conceding 3 goals too....But instead of constantly switching systems, like Ole + Rodgers is doing now, he played the same system, so it would expose the weak players and he could then easily see who he needed to replace.

Going to a 3/5 at the back for instance, is Rodgers just putting a plaster on a huge gaping wound.

4 at the back isn't working, largely, because of our inadequacies at full back as much as in the centre of defence.

Ricardo + Castagne are not full backs for me, even when Ricardo was our player of the season, he got caught out massively defensively....And he's been getting caught out badly, especially by long balls, for 12+ months. Thomas clearly needs a loan and Bertrand is crap.

• Haha 1

Two seasons at Swansea.

Four seasons at Liverpool.

Three seasons at Celtic.

Three seasons at LCFC.

His win rate is the same as it was for Liverpool. 51%. I don't think he'll last a fourth season here based on our trajectory in the league and cups.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, FoxyLeon said:

I'm sorry, I can't have the 'injuries' being an excuse for our inability to defend, whether it be set pieces or in open play.

Liverpool had half a dozen defenders out last year, we've got just Fofana + Justin, who despite showing glimpses of good form last year, are not Van Dijk ffs.

We had a fully fit squad last season, apart from Justin, and we were as awful for the last 6 months of the season as we have been so far this season.

It's typical of football fans though, to put a bigger emphasis on players when they're missing. Fofana + Justin are not automatically first choice at all, yet people on here are acting like we're missing the equivalent of Kante+Mahrez from the title winning season.

Fofana and Justin are a loss though.

Justin wasn't perhaps an automatic starter alright but was still very promising before his injury.

Fofana is one of the best young talents in the world. He's left a massive void in defence. He'd be good enough to start in a lot of teams.

I'd agree with you on the end of last season slump however.

1 minute ago, Tanya said:

I can't believe some of you want him out. Fifth twice, a FA Cup, out of the group in last year's Europa League. 

Let's see when we have some defensive reinforcements. Obviously this season  hasn't panned out yet but Rodgers has earned a fair amount of leeway. He's one of our most successful managers. I'm not going to call for him to be tossed aside the minute we have some poor results. 

It’s not ‘the minute we have some poor results’ though

I think we’re bottom of the home games league table since start of last season

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Two seasons at Swansea.

Three seasons at Celtic.

Three seasons at LCFC.

His win rate is the same as it was for Liverpool. 51%. I don't think he'll last a fourth season here based on our trajectory in the league and cups.

Excuse my ignorance but you put these stats in as if they are negative. Clearly they are not. Granted we haven’t started this season great but hopefully he’ll turn it around. 
You mean finishing 5th twice, winning the fa cup and getting to the semis of the league cup and the quarter finals this season. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Two seasons at Swansea.

Three seasons at Celtic.

Three seasons at LCFC.

Our trajectory in the cups?....

Didn't we win the FA Cup for the first time in our history 6 months ago?..

Or was I having a Bobby Ewing moment?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, weller54 said:

Our trajectory in the cups?....

Didn't we win the FA Cup for the first time in our history 6 months ago?..

Or was I having a Bobby Ewing moment?

I wish I could put some fans in the shower..

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

It’s not ‘the minute we have some poor results’ though

I think we’re bottom of the home games league table since start of last season

Nope, we are 9th in the home league table since the start of last season, since the start of last season until right now we have taken 35 points at home.

Big 6, West Ham, and Southampton are the teams to have taken more in that period

Man Utd have 3 points more but have played 1 more game than us, Southampton have 1 point more but have also played 1 more game than us

• Like 1

We would all like to do better.   FFS the only trophy we currently hold is the FA Cup. We have only qualified for Europe two seasons running.

Before Rodgers arrived, we always won every trophy and never finished outside the top 4.   He clearly hasn't got a clue.

But seriously...

Some on here need a reality check.   Replacing Rodgers with a better manager would be difficult.  He will leave when he gets an offer from a wealthier club who can offer him more resources than Leicester can.  Fans of many other clubs would love to have him.

Supporting Leicester is often difficult.  It is hard to understand the.entitlement some fans feel.   We have a strong squad and could click at any time.  Many of the players were recruited pre-Rodgers;. Rodgers has coached them to an FACup andtwo fifth place finishes.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Foxxed said:

Two seasons at Swansea.

Three seasons at Celtic.

Three seasons at LCFC.

3 seasons and 7 matches @ Liverpool

18 minutes ago, majaco said:

We would all like to do better.   FFS the only trophy we currently hold is the FA Cup. We have only qualified for Europe two seasons running.

Before Rodgers arrived, we always won every trophy and never finished outside the top 4.   He clearly hasn't got a clue.

But seriously...

Some on here need a reality check.   Replacing Rodgers with a better manager would be difficult.  He will leave when he gets an offer from a wealthier club who can offer him more resources than Leicester can.  Fans of many other clubs would love to have him.

Supporting Leicester is often difficult.  It is hard to understand the.entitlement some fans feel.   We have a strong squad and could click at any time.  Many of the players were recruited pre-Rodgers;. Rodgers has coached them to an FACup andtwo fifth place finishes.

Totally get your point and I am 100% pro Rodgers, but this mentality of just being happy to be 5th because we've never finished there bar the title season etc papers over cracks.

When we're coasting to 3rd with an extremely strong first 11 it shouldn't matter that we have never been there so we have no right to be annoyed at completely throwing it away. We should judge each season on its own and the squad we had was more than good enough for the top 4. That's why Rodgers come here. We all said top 4 was more than possible and he knew that too.

The same applies this season. There becomes a limit when whats happening is unacceptable and we need to look at why instead of this "just happy to be here because we were shit 20 years ago" mentality. 

• Like 1

My (quite disorganised) thoughts:

I like Rodgers, both as a manager and a person. I think he has the best interests of the club at heart and is personally invested in its development on and off the pitch (though probably not sufficiently to keep him here should a properly tempting offer come his way). Back to back 5th place finishes and an FA Cup win is a fantastic achievement in my opinion and one that I think we're in danger of taking for granted.

That said, I don't think past success is a good reason to keep a manager in his job. There isn't much room for sentimentality at the top level, besides which sacking a manager doesn't mean disregarding all they've achieved and branding them a failure, it means you reckon someone else might be able to do a better job than they're currently doing. But in our case, I just don't think that's true. I don't doubt there are better managers out there but I do very much doubt they're going to be especially interested in coming here. If you honestly believe we could attract a manager who will arrive and turn us into top 4 regulars I think you're going to be very disappointed, as you will be if you reckon we're going to replace Rodgers with someone who'll take us back to basics, sitting deep and counter attacking.

The fact that our current big problems (e.g. slow starts, lack of tempo/penetration in possession and shit set pieces at both ends) are recurring ones is a big concern. I think it's probably a pretty safe assumption that he'd like us to pass the ball better, create more chances and look less brittle defensively so the natural conclusion is that he's unable rather than unwilling to sort them. Many of the things that have punctuated our worse performances this season and in our slumps in the last two (laboured, wayward passing, too many touches, reluctance to take risks on and off the ball) strike me as being symptomatic of a widespread lack of confidence and belief more than any underlying structural problem, but if that's the case it's still ultimately Rodgers' responsibility to change that. Given his failure to reverse our previous slides I can see why you might not trust him to do so.

I certainly don't want him sacked (nor do I think he will be in the near future) and I'll be disappointed when he does inevitably leave. I am however resigned to the fact that his time here is probably coming to an end one way or another. Even the best teams grow stale over time and short of overhauling the squad, which I don't think we can realistically afford to do, the obvious way to do something about that is to change the manager. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

Totally get your point and I am 100% pro Rodgers, but this mentality of just being happy to be 5th because we've never finished there bar the title season etc papers over cracks.

When we're coasting to 3rd with an extremely strong first 11 it shouldn't matter that we have never been there so we have no right to be annoyed at completely throwing it away. We should judge each season on its own and the squad we had was more than good enough for the top 4. That's why Rodgers come here. We all said top 4 was more than possible and he knew that too.

The same applies this season. There becomes a limit when whats happening is unacceptable and we need to look at why instead of this "just happy to be here because we were shit 20 years ago" mentality. 

I started by saying we would all like to do better.

I think we will move up the table.   The Premier League is very competitive.   When we beat Brighton on the cup, there was some amazing ability in their back-uo players players for instance.  Most of the managers are proven and effective (there are exceptions such as OGS whose expensive team have finished above us in recent seasons).

Our recent woes have been down to costly individual errors.   Hopefully, this will be eradicated; perhaps it is a confidence issue.  Our squad has 18 players who I hope are still at Leicester next season- we have quality.

We are so far beyond where we were a few years ago.  Rodgers is imo our best chance of finishing high in the table.   Despite there being other  teams with quality who want to do the same.  I hope we have the attitude and quality to still finish high I. The table.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, majaco said:

But seriously...

We all need a reality check. What the club has achieved in the last 5-6 years is nothing short of a miracle, when you compare to all we achieved before 2015-16 season! 
There are many clubs, including Spurs, Arsenal and Manu who what we’ve achieved in the last 5yrs. We don’t have infrastructure or the financial muscle to complete with these club. I believe this is the best squad ive known we ever had, but its still nowhere near the quality of the elite clubs have. I am loving what we’ve achieved and our is a long term project which will our ups and downs. Despite our slow start to this season I firmly believe that we will in the top 7, to me thats still a good season, because our club history tell us this. That to me shows we are building, whilst challenging the elite clubs🏆🏆🏆

1 hour ago, Foxxed said:

Two seasons at Swansea.

Three seasons at Celtic.

Three seasons at LCFC.

51% win rate is top level management success though. Jurgen Klopp had only a 56% win rate at Dortmund. Pocchettino had 54% at Spurs. Most managers have a win rate of 34%. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, FoxyLeon said:

In what world are Justin and Fofana not walk up starters?

If and when they are fully fit, they are straight back in the team.

The problem with all the injuries and chopping and changing the back line is not building up partnerships at the back.

You look at the best back lines ever, it’s where they get a consistent run of players who instinctively know what the others are going to do. We’ve played 3 or 4 different LBs this season, 3 or 4 different CBs and a couple of different RBS - it’s hard to build those partnerships and know who is picking up who automatically, where someone is going to be for that quick pass.

It’s those little 1% things that make all the difference at the highest level.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

Nope, we are 9th in the home league table since the start of last season, since the start of last season until right now we have taken 35 points at home.

Big 6, West Ham, and Southampton are the teams to have taken more in that period

Man Utd have 3 points more but have played 1 more game than us, Southampton have 1 point more but have also played 1 more game than us

That doesn't suit the agenda! 

• Like 2