Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

1 minute ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

He doesn't need to slag players off in public and neither should he. But a little more of an honest assessment might be more productive both for them and the fans. 

He has said that we aren’t at the levels we need to be

the fans need to be a little more savvy but alas …………………..

9 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

He obviously doesn't. Just trying to put a positive spin on it.

Hes a very smart guy and he'll know its not good enough. What he's projecting in the media is to try and give the players some confidence.

Except for the players that aren't happy with their own performance levels and/or their team mates will probably hear that and think what the fcuk is he trying to peddle. A good old fashioned row is what they all need, do it in public as well for a laugh.

25 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Thing can change pretty quickly, since the last international break we have average 1.75pts so we are moving in the right direction. 

We have only won back to back league games once this season that to me suggests we will find it difficult to pick up form unless we start playing with more intensity and aggression, it seems very inconsistent and it’s been like that for a while imo

29 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Look at the points: 51 points that’s what we are averaging right now, this is on track for a 12th place finish across a season which is not good enough for a team of our calibre.

27 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Thing can change pretty quickly, since the last international break we have average 1.75pts so we are moving in the right direction. 

Or joint 7th compared to all the other points averages of clubs in that table... 

Edited by StanSP
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

He obviously doesn't. Just trying to put a positive spin on it.

Hes a very smart guy and he'll know its not good enough. What he's projecting in the media is to try and give the players some confidence.

I'm not expecting him to criticise, but normally after a poor performance he'll come out with the usual "we lacked aggression", "we were a bit sloppy", "we were a tad passive" etc etc. You know when he's not happy. However the last two matches he's gone fairly overboard with the praise, which has made me question whether he really is as disappointed with the last two performances as he should be.

Just now, RonnieTodger said:

I defend Rodgers a lot, but those subs were really bizarre.

Going into the last 10 minutes or so with no attacking wide men and one striker was madness.

They were there for the taking as well from the look of the extended highlights. Maddison, KDH, Soumare and Ndidi were zipping about getting it at them and you can't help but feel Daka or Iheanacho up there with Vardy would have been the better call. Didn't need 4 central midfielders.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

He has said that we aren’t at the levels we need to be

the fans need to be a little more savvy but alas …………………..

He could still be a little more robust without being seen to slag players off. It's gumpf. Signed a seemingly non savvy fan. 

Guest Chocolate Teapot
36 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Except for the players that aren't happy with their own performance levels and/or their team mates will probably hear that and think what the fcuk is he trying to peddle. A good old fashioned row is what they all need, do it in public as well for a laugh.

What goes on in private and public is very different. Notable absence of one player from the entire squad yesterday.

11 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

He's started 3 games, 1 goal and 2 assists, plus created Maddisons goal at Brentford and Albrighton's at Norwich. If it wasn't for Iheanacho in 2021, Rodgers wouldn't be here now. He saved his season, scored in almost every round of the FA Cup and was the only player in the league when Barnes and Maddisoj got injured that dragged us to victory in games. 

This season he's been given less minutes again which is just bizarre. I get it's a bit of a dilemma as to play 2 up front you have to sacrifice something, whether that's wingers, a 3rd central midfielder or something lopsided bit he's without doubt been our standout player. 

This for me is BR biggest mistake. After Nacho’s form last season he should be ahead of Vardy in the starting lineup. We need him up top more often than not.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I did wonder that.... hope we rip his contract up, disaster of a signing.

Warning signs were there when it was all agreed and then his agent said he wouldn't sign unless we gave him 4 years. Thankfully we called his bluff on it. Hes got some work to do to get anywhere near the first team again.

Guest Chocolate Teapot

People really need to get it out of their hands that Rodgers is anywhere near the sack. If he leaves its to go to another club. Absolutely no chance we're paying him off three years at 10m a year.

His role is and has never been under threat here.

Edited by Chocolate Teapot

Either the players aren't listening to him, or his coaching isn't working....Either way, it's getting to the stage now where it's pretty obvious that we're going to need a change.

When it gets to the stage that a fan/fans can see obvious errors, that a manager cannot, it's very worrying.

Some are saying it's as bad as Puel was, but for me, certain elements are far far worse.

Set Pieces for example, defensively, are getting worse, not better. Leeds again scored from one, and could have from at least 2 other corners. 

Our ability to make simple passes and control the ball is quite frankly disgraceful. We're the worst side i've seen in this league over the last 12 months are giving the ball away needlessly and kicking it out of play.

Under Puel we were boring, but we could actually pass the ball better than a lower league side. It's the worst I've seen us with the ball at our feet since we've been back in the Premier League. This is not an exaggeration in the slightest, it is really truly that bad. 

The other problem we have though, is that we're making too many excuses for Rodgers.

Missing Fofana and Justin are somehow the answer to all of our problems......

Why is Rodgers playing for a draw away at a side 17th in the league, who play a style which gives us the easiest game of the season, by playing 5 defenders and 4 midfielders? Fofana and Justin.....

Why was there no reaction or change from Rodgers, when Evans is playing the same pass 10-15 times to Vardy's feet which keeps losing us the ball? Fofana and Justin.....

Why is every 3rd pass we make going straight out of play? Fofana and Justin.....

Why can't we defend set pieces? Fofana and Justin.....

Let's hope the international break allows him to do what he did last time. After that international break we had 3W 3D 1L. One of those draws was the win on pens but realistically, it's a draw. PL was 2W 1D 1L.

Now, for a European spot, we still need to up our game significantly, but we are not as bad as some might suggest. Underwhelming sums it up for me (but it is no less than I expected before the season although I am a little disappointed in our European campaign so far).

6 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Let's hope the international break allows him to do what he did last time. After that international break we had 3W 3D 1L. One of those draws was the win on pens but realistically, it's a draw. PL was 2W 1D 1L.

Now, for a European spot, we still need to up our game significantly, but we are not as bad as some might suggest. Underwhelming sums it up for me (but it is no less than I expected before the season although I am a little disappointed in our European campaign so far).

It's underwhelming versus how good we were at the end of 2019 and the beginning of last season. Not sure it's underwhelming versus the level we've been at since probably Arsenal at home last season when we got all those injuries.

Yesterday has become par for the course for this side. Side to side, not really any cutting edge, absolutely shit scared of opposition set pieces, rely on individual brilliance rather than collective quality... we've become a mid table team (which is fine!), and yesterday was a mid table performance!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, jmono84 said:

This for me is BR biggest mistake. After Nacho’s form last season he should be ahead of Vardy in the starting lineup. We need him up top more often than not.

Let's drop the man who scored 7 league goals in 11 games :appl:

Plus Nacho plays better with Vardy.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Let's drop the man who scored 7 league goals in 11 games :appl:

Plus Nacho plays better with Vardy.

Yea for the benefit of the team it’s what we need. I believe Nacho would make a massive difference playing in the 4123 formation. I don’t care if Nacho doesn’t score or assist as long as we’re getting results. He should be our main man.

Its nothing new as it has been the same for about 5 seasons now but we are still having issues because of the inconsistent wing options and attacking midfield. Of course Barnes has his moments, as does Maddison but not enough and Lookman has done ok but that's it. Plus with Vardy's hold up play being inconsistent as well we are never reliable when playing the ball up, Barnes touch can be atrocious with his back to goal. Lack of movement to receive the ball to feet from the centre backs, Tielemans is so much better when he has Maddison or Iheanacho on a good day. They just aren't consistent enough if we want to be  challenging top 4/6. 

Yes we had to cover defensive injuries in the transfer market and yes we don't have loads of money, and yes Daka and Soumare seem like decent future investments. But we didn't look at our biggest need in the summer apart from a afterthought with Lookman. 

9 minutes ago, jmono84 said:

Yea for the benefit of the team it’s what we need. I believe Nacho would make a massive difference playing in the 4123 formation. I don’t care if Nacho doesn’t score or assist as long as we’re getting results. He should be our main man.

Nacho has done well in a 2 he's struggled when ethier he's played in the middle of a 3.

He's best form has been playing with Vardy in a 2.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

People really need to get it out of their hands that Rodgers is anywhere near the sack. If he leaves its to go to another club. Absolutely no chance we're paying him off three years at 10m a year.

Agreed. The only way it happens is if there is a serious threat of relegation. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

100% this.

More likely we will move on under performing players first.

• Like 1

On 05/11/2021 at 10:25, Finnegan said:

I'd say we've easily got the fifth best squad in the league. So there's your bar. 

A lot of fuss is made, as is typical with Leicester really, about our manager and how well he's done to get us competing for a champions league place in the last two years or in winning the FA Cup. Despite that, I have thought, pretty much the whole time really, that this was about par for the squad. 

Don't get me wrong here, I think Rodgers has done well up to now. He's delivered exactly what was expected of him, he's met all his targets and at times he's had us playing genuinely attractive football that I've really enjoyed. 

But the common defence of him by pointing at his achievements needs to be viewed through a lens of correct context. As I said in the post match thread, whilst it's true he's been more consistently successful than any Leicester manager in the Premier League era, he's also got the best squad that Leicester have ever had in the Premier League era (if not all time.)

This is the highest profile the club has ever had, the best the recruitment team has ever been, the best facilities we've ever had, the most money the club has ever had, the most pulling power and global attention we've ever had. 

This all means the bar against which any manager we have is measured is higher. I can tolerate (up to a point) the media falling in to the same trap of blindly defending Rodgers because they view he's gotten "tinpot Leicester" to the dizzy heights of fifth, but its disappointing reading our own fans falling for the same. 

He's not beyond reproach because he won the cup or finished fifth because we're exactly the sort of squad that SHOULD be doing those things. 

All of that said, it'd be equally absurd to want to sack a manager that's delivered consistently on what can reasonably be expected of him and I think calling for his head at this point is a bit nuts. It's way too early in the season to have given up entirely that he can turn it around. 

I acknowledge there's cause for alarm and I am concerned, nervous even, about the next couple months. But if he steadies the ship, takes us on a good run of form and we finish 6/7 in the league after a few tough years and a lot of key injuries? That's pretty much par again and a job well done. 

This is pretty much spot on for me. 

I look at the squad and think we have performed to par since Rodgers was appointed, nothing more nothing less. If you had put the whole team up for sale during the last transfer window, there's very few players who wouldn't have secured transfers to top 6 sides. 

I'm not suggesting that he's done a bad job or that he should be sacked this very moment, but conversely I don't agree with the sentiment that he's somehow worked a miracle with this squad to get us finishing 5th twice and winning the FA Cup. For me whilst it was amazing that we won the cup, taking an objective viewpoint given the squad, it was always a possibility that we'd be in with a realistic shout of winning the competition especially given the nature of tournament football where form goes out of the window and with a bit of luck along the way anything is possible.

What frustrates me slightly is when people suggest that he's solely the reason for the developmental progress of this squad. The majority of these player's were signed for their potential knowing that with game time/experience they'd kick on. You could argue that he's given said players the games needed to amass the necessary experience which if that is the case and it wasn't purely down to the fact that he had no other choice then that is commendable. However, how much praise Rodgers takes for this teams progress is debatable. One could also argue that these players have simply followed their natural development curve and the trajectory that they've followed would have likely have been realised regardless of who was managing them.

For all Brendan's genius in coaching his team to play possession football which at times can be exhilarating I think he has far too many flaws to be an elite manager. That's not to say he won't get a gig at a big club (I'm certain he will) but I do think he'll be found wanting when the time comes. 

The problem the club have right now is that whilst he's not currently hitting the levels we know he's capable of in the past we do know that most of our rivals would happily take him if he became available. Therefore the board have a bit of a dilemma; stick with him and hope our form somehow improves, or make the cut which will cost a fortune and most likely improve a rival (in the short term at least) who probably would have not only paid some compensation to prise him away but also saved us having to pay his severance package. Either way unless our form pick ups soon the repercussions of a season below expectation will be very damaging to what we are trying to build and achieve with this squad. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Nacho has done well in a 2 he's struggled when ethier he's played in the middle of a 3.

He's best form has been playing with Vardy in a 2.

I think Nacho is better suited to this system. Yes Vardy has scored 7 goals but I feel there have been a lot of games where he’s been a passenger, even in the games where he’s scored.

Barnes also has this effect and can go missing in games but we don’t have many good options out wide.

I liked Lookman because he is good at running in behind as well as coming to the ball, this is a massive weakness in Barnes and Vardy’s game. There’s been many times where I’ve watched and there’s a complete disconnect between our forward players and midfield.

Now is Nachos time to shine and if he doesn’t we need to get a player who can play this role better.