Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

The only criticism I would have of Brendan Rodgers would be his ‘favourites’ policy. This, of course, is not exclusive to him, as most - if not all - managers suffer from this. I feel the over use of Perez ahead of selecting Under, was weird, last season. The letting of Praet out on loan is also baffling to me.

The other gripe I have is recruitment, but this is not solely down to BR. 
Two top 6 finishes, two European campaigns, our first FA Cup and a Charity Shield… he’s our best manager ever.

Edited by FoxinNotts
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

He has his favourites, but I am not sure why Perez is labelled as one, he starts less than half of our games.

Rodgers can be weird like this I've noticed. He was a favorite of Rodgers and now not so much. Reckon he would have been great against leeds but didn't even play. Strange one 

1 hour ago, FoxinNotts said:

The only criticism I would have of Brendan Rodgers would be his ‘favourites’ policy. This, of course, is not exclusive to him, as most - if not all - managers suffer from this. I feel the over use of Perez ahead of selecting Under, was weird, last season. The letting of Praet out on loan is also baffling to me.

Two top 6 finishes which one may argue were ultimately failure given the circumstances, two disappointing European campaigns, our first FA Cup and a Charity Shield… he’s our best manager ever. Highly debatable

I'm 42 years old. In my lifetime, BR is the best manager we've had. I've witnessed nearly all of Leicester City's success (barring 1 league cup in the 60's) How he compares to the other good ones in my time (the managers who have actually won proper silverware)?:

BR:

Win % 50.4

Won: 1x FA Cup 1x Charity Shield

2 top six finishes

2 European Campaigns

CR:

Win % 44.4

Won: 1x Premier League

1 top six finish (obviously!)

1 European campaign (incomplete)

MON:

Win % 38.1

Won: 2x League Cups

0 top six finishes

2 European campaigns

Obviously an honourable mention has to go to Nigel Pearson and his team, with his promotions and laying the foundations to success under King Power.

I hope there's much more to come under Brendan.

• Like 2

Under Rodgers, our attack has functioned pretty well, there is little evidence that we can't score goals. However our defence has got progressively worse. 41 goals to 50 to what is looking like nearer to 60 this season. This just has to be addressed and quickly. Is it the coaching or the players or just too many injuries. If we want to improve as a team we must solve this problem.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FoxinNotts said:

Two top 6 finishes, two European campaigns, our first FA Cup and a Charity Shield… he’s our best manager ever.

Agree with quite a lot of this. However, Ünder really wasn’t that good. He definitely should have had more chances but he wasn’t a good fit. His reluctance to work for the team was ultimately his downfall imo, you can see why Rodgers did not like playing him. 

Ünder was a ‘luxury player’ who rarely delivered.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NasPb said:

Rodgers can be weird like this I've noticed. He was a favorite of Rodgers and now not so much. Reckon he would have been great against leeds but didn't even play. Strange one 

Whats weird about using your squad ,and a manager after 11 games, with player suspensions, knocks, and inconsistent form, moving & changing his resources..

Nearly all on FT are plain blind & daft.

They shout he..Rodgers should do this & that...When  he does you all turn a blind eye....

Maddison & Barnes were given early game to prove their form..he dropped them to the Bench, because they were struggling..

Perez started well, got suspended,wasn't then brought straight in as a lost teachers pet..

But fans repeating the same FALSE Rhetoric...It's not Rodgers with a problem...but fans blind to some actual hard weekly descisions being taken..

Look at present no matter what Button Rodgers has pushed,there has been ca 35% ,that's not jelling...our performances are slightly improved, but still long periods in the games,where has he self said...not enough commitment & far too slow & passive, on and moving the ball and tracking back...

Again only 11 games, one needs 3-4 games especially at the beginning of the season...but he has tried to tweek plus these last month in depth movements...

This stubborn rhetoric is total nonsense. And he ain't stuck to any favourites..outside Evans,Tielemans,Vardy,Schmeichel..the rest have all had slap wrists...including a rekindled Amartey....

The whole collective has a team just haven't clicked into any awaited pattern...Formation, selection, subs, are

Totally irrelevant to the major targets and team ethos and cause...

Too many fans again going way OTT,

With...,".I prefer this timing or this player, I am God, not Rodgers".. attitude, then amusingly posting their version.

Rodgers has tried changes , even nick & tuck...but we are throwing too much shit at Rodgers,where it should be landing in the players backyard..

I was glad when Rodgers has said in these last 2 weeks, some players have not listened or taken it on keep going over 90 minutes..

Let's see what the team can do without Tielemans in their Ranks, they slipped up Ricardo, and Evans absences..

One star falls to the side, Maybe Barnes, Maddison,KDH,Soumare can pick up and create a new character & mantel for the team.

It's not all or just for Rodgers to sort out. 2/3 of our squad owe us improved performances..

I want a competitive squad & team ethos BEFORE.  JJ & FOFANA's return.

And ffs forget the players & managers

needed media rhetoric & game-play.

Fans make themselves too gullable, and grab naivily at every shard of floating confetti..

26 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Our defence has got worse but weird as it may sound I think it's due to a regression in the way we attack. 

I thought this too until I realised the fact we concede from every set piece proves it's poor coaching.

If you can't coach a side how to defend set pieces, where you have a huge element of control, you stand no chance in open play where defending is far harder due to unpredictability.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, FoxyLeon said:

I thought this too until I realised the fact we concede from every set piece proves it's poor coaching.

If you can't coach a side how to defend set pieces, where you have a huge element of control, you stand no chance in open play where defending is far harder due to unpredictability.

We've been vulnerable to conceding set pieces for years, has been a problem pre Puel as well. The problem is its most definitely got worse in the last year. Set pieces aside our easy nature of teams creating more goalscoring opportunities back end of last season and this season compared to when we were achieving under Rodgers, is I presume because we aren't defending and pressing as a team. Our lack of movement throughout the team is poor. Defend from the front, win the ball higher up which leads to more scoring opportunities (we are one of the best teams at forcing turnovers and create chances in the oppositions final 3rd) and in the process ease the pressure off the defenders the other end.

38 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

What 'territory' do MON and Pearson occupy that Rodgers can't yet be admitted to? He's a better manager than both of them.

Length of time and consistency, really. Both of those did at least 4 solid years with us and achieved pretty consistent results/ improvement. 

But if Brendan left for the Man United job in January or we stumbled to to a couple of 10th place finishes under him, that wouldn't put him in the same standing as the others.

Fantastic, yes BUT when you consider the starting point the other two had, it's not quite the same journey. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Length of time and consistency, really. Both of those did at least 4 solid years with us and achieved pretty consistent results/ improvement. 

But if Brendan left for the Man United job in January or we stumbled to to a couple of 10th place finishes under him, that wouldn't put him in the same standing as the others.

Fantastic, yes BUT when you consider the starting point the other two had, it's not quite the same journey

But consider putting MON or Pearson in to replace Rodgers now, I don’t think they would achieve anything like the levels Brendan will

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Fantastic, yes BUT when you consider the starting point the other two had, it's not quite the same journey. 

He is a very good manager... and while he frustrates me, he would walk in to jobs the others could only dream of.

Edited by foxinsocks
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

But consider putting MON or Pearson in to replace Rodgers now, I don’t think they would achieve anything like the levels Brendan will

Exactly. If Rodgers left tomorrow, would people really be happy with the return of Pearson or even a 90s-era MON? It's true that Rodgers has had better material to work with, but he's also a different calibre of manager.

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 3

I for one dont want Rogers out. The thought of it makes me shiver. He has shown that when he has his best team of players and their getting consistent game time and training they are a seriously good unit that can play on the front foot, defend smart when needed and play the possession based ticky tacka much faster from defense into attack. We all need to step back and go down memory lane watch those games again. It’s completely different from how we are playing right now. Rogers is having to adjust to the situation. Gotta give him time. We have good players coming back soon.

it will click again and when it does just watch and see we will go on a hell of a run. Hope the timing works out with our fixtures too that’s where we need a bit of luck.

moyes is doing great at west ham but imagine if his keep players started to drop like flies? They won’t be flying high like they are now that’s for sure and it could happen still.

lets stick to it mantra and keep the faith. Gotta get thru the Xmas period and then let’s see.

2 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

I like him and I am immensely glad of him but he's got to be consistent for me to put him MON and Pearson territory.

If he stays another 2 years (so til end of 2024) and achieves another top 6 and cup semis, then I think we can look at that. 

MON never had you higher than 8th though. Pearson may have got you promoted, but he also nearly got you relegated immediately. So far, Rodgers has you in two 5th place positions with his two full seasons. And you're not far off another 5th place finish with over two thirds of the season still to go. I'd carry Brendan back to Glasgow meself if I thought we could get him back. He's doing the business for you. I don't understand why so many here are trying to pick holes in his record. There is a strong correlation between wage expenditure and table position. This season you have the 9th highest wage outgoings. The top four clubs (City, Liverpool, Chelsea, United) blow everyone else away, with Arsenal and Spurs the next level down. I'm sure your disappointed with some recent results and performances, but overall, he's doing a bang up job

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

Fantastic, yes BUT when you consider the starting point the other two had, it's not quite the same journey

That is a fair comment, but  by the same token with them we ended up in Rhyl rather than Rome. lol

30 minutes ago, Guest454545 said:

MON never had you higher than 8th though. Pearson may have got you promoted, but he also nearly got you relegated immediately. So far, Rodgers has you in two 5th place positions with his two full seasons. And you're not far off another 5th place finish with over two thirds of the season still to go. I'd carry Brendan back to Glasgow meself if I thought we could get him back. He's doing the business for you. I don't understand why so many here are trying to pick holes in his record. There is a strong correlation between wage expenditure and table position. This season you have the 9th highest wage outgoings. The top four clubs (City, Liverpool, Chelsea, United) blow everyone else away, with Arsenal and Spurs the next level down. I'm sure your disappointed with some recent results and performances, but overall, he's doing a bang up job

Agreed. And I would've given you a *Like if you hadn't referred to ManC as 'City'. 

31 minutes ago, Guest454545 said:

have you sat down and watched full leicester matches this season?