Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

2 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

I personally am not calling for him to be sacked because if one thing, I'm a realist and don't see anyone better out there available to replace him mid season. Also, yes, January time will tell us quite a bit more. I would be absolutely surprised and bewildered if our squad of talented players can't pick up a few wins before then with or without Rodgers.

However, long term, if he doesn't alter/adjust his apparent obsession with the overly cautious possession before everything football with our current squad of players, then I don't see him being successful or popular. This would be a shame because aside of that he's got some great attributes. He also needs to take a look at his coaching staff. I certainly wouldn't want to see a summer where he and possibly Congerton had much say in recruitment because I would suggest our record has been far better than there's. Neither would I want to see recruitment for the servicing of Rodgers footballing philosophy as time has moved on. If he can't make a good fist of it with this current crop of players and play round pegs in round holes, I would suggest he's nowhere near as talented as the media love in promotes him to be. 

Nail on head.

And i’m not sure many are calling for him to be sacked, I think we appreciate and are thankful for our achievements, however, am I frustrated and sick to death of keep ball with no purpose, am I asking for him to be flexible, change things based on how games are going or teams were coming up against, absolutely.

People need to realised your can be appreciative, grateful and thankful but also allowed to voice opinions over a period of time without being called entitled.

At this moment based on the last calendar year, and the 2nd half season of his first full season would I be sad to see him go when it inevitably happens, not particularly, would I be worried about who we replace him with, yes (which is why I was asking the questions I asked the other day regarding the similar opinions of the Puel in/out argument of which no one seemed to answer), mainly because it seems to be a direction within the club to play this way and it’ll probably be more of the same, the sooner there is a change within football the better.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Webbo said:

Not 1 person on here seriously thought we'd win the league at the start of that season, most of us were more worried about staying up. 

To read some the stuff on here you'd think we all knew it was obvious. So major rewriting of history on here. 

.. 5000/1 was a ridiculous price!!!

After the end of the previous season it made absolutely no sense to have us at such a long price.  The mere fact that some people actually took up the option of the bet is fair play to them.

No one expected it to happen and perhaps to some degree it come happen again, but I suspect it won't be us...we have already hit the jackpot.

10 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

After the end of the previous season it made absolutely no sense to have us at such a long price.  The mere fact that some people actually took up the option of the bet is fair play to them.

No one expected it to happen and perhaps to some degree it come happen again, but I suspect it won't be us...we have already hit the jackpot.

The way the big clubs are trying to carve things up even further for themselves I don't see the remote chance of it ever happening again, for any provincial club unfortunately. Leicester winning the league captured the imagination of fans throughout the world but I think it rocked the elite clubs and served as a warning as something they want to avoid happening again.

12 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

We were at a long price to encourage people to place a bet on it. That's how bookies work. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

IMO that 15/16 team had arguably the best synergy of any team to have won the title. That doesn't mean they were the overall best team, but rather that the sum of the parts added up to so much more than the quality of the individuals. That team overperformed in every key metric.

The entire team was geared around it's strengths so that the many weaknesses we had didn't matter. Huth and Morgan dominant in the air, but were slow, so we played a deep block. Mahrez an outstanding attacking player, but lacked defensive aspects, so Simpson is there to sit so Mahrez has more licence to roam. Okazaki a workhorse but lacking overall quality, so does the dirty work so Vardy and Mahrez can start, etc, etc. That Leicester team was the best counter attacking team I've ever seen since I've started watching football and Ranieri deserves so much respect for getting the team to work that way.

I honestly can't think of another team in Premier League history that had so much synergy that through coaching and tactics they were so much better than the sum of their parts. Maybe Rodgers own Swansea team that Laudrup then went onto win the league cup with, Moyes Everton that got top 4, Poch's Southampton? MON's Leicester? But all of these sides came nowhere close to how good 15/16 Leicester were.

Ipswich, 5th in 2000/01. Lost out thanks to a poor loss at Charlton. Teams above them were prime Man U, Wenger Arsenal, Liverpool and a very decent Leeds team. 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

IMO that 15/16 team had arguably the best synergy of any team to have won the title. That doesn't mean they were the overall best team, but rather that the sum of the parts added up to so much more than the quality of the individuals. That team overperformed in every key metric.

The entire team was geared around it's strengths so that the many weaknesses we had didn't matter. Huth and Morgan dominant in the air, but were slow, so we played a deep block. Mahrez an outstanding attacking player, but lacked defensive aspects, so Simpson is there to sit so Mahrez has more licence to roam. Okazaki a workhorse but lacking overall quality, so does the dirty work so Vardy and Mahrez can start, etc, etc. That Leicester team was the best counter attacking team I've ever seen since I've started watching football and Ranieri deserves so much respect for getting the team to work that way.

I honestly can't think of another team in Premier League history that had so much synergy that through coaching and tactics they were so much better than the sum of their parts. Maybe Rodgers own Swansea team that Laudrup then went onto win the league cup with, Moyes Everton that got top 4, Poch's Southampton? MON's Leicester? But all of these sides came nowhere close to how good 15/16 Leicester were.

People don't give Ranieri enough credit for pulling that miracle off.  He was the perfect manager in the perfect place at the perfect time, and nothing that happened afterwards changes that.  I seriously don't know if that could have happened under any other coach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Ipswich, 5th in 2000/01. Lost out thanks to a poor loss at Charlton. Teams above them were prime Man U, Wenger Arsenal, Liverpool and a very decent Leeds team. 

Great shout that! 

Sunderland with Phillips and Quinn also really outperformed expectations massively.

19 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.. why would you..!!!

How many people do you think saw that price and said it is worth a go.

Imagine if the price was 250/1 they would have had more punters throwing their money at it.

250-1 that sounds like they might win. Against 5000-1 that's worth a silly quid. 

It's no different to horse racing, the odds are set by the punters. The horse with the most money on it has the shortest odds. 

It would be interesting to see what Rodgers does if he goes there. It would be a different kettle of fish completly that he would have ever been involved with before, the egos, the mess they're currently in, expectations of fans.

It could end up going a bit pear shaped, pretty much the same way its gone for all the managers' post Fergie.

I dont want him to go personally, its nice to have some longevity with a manager which i think helps the club grow. I wouldn't know who or where we might look if he does end up moving on.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 hour ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Seen on the BBC gossip section this morning there are rumours that Rodgers has a release clause should a Champions League club come in for him.

Yeah rumours it was 20m plus I've heard previously.

1 hour ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Seen on the BBC gossip section this morning there are rumours that Rodgers has a release clause should a Champions League club come in for him.

this one then..BR will do what is best for BR

image.png.dc66bc9daabd7b0de75b208a4adfff04.png

Edited by erlee

18 hours ago, Guest454545 said:

MON never had you higher than 8th though. Pearson may have got you promoted, but he also nearly got you relegated immediately. So far, Rodgers has you in two 5th place positions with his two full seasons. And you're not far off another 5th place finish with over two thirds of the season still to go. I'd carry Brendan back to Glasgow meself if I thought we could get him back. He's doing the business for you. I don't understand why so many here are trying to pick holes in his record. There is a strong correlation between wage expenditure and table position. This season you have the 9th highest wage outgoings. The top four clubs (City, Liverpool, Chelsea, United) blow everyone else away, with Arsenal and Spurs the next level down. I'm sure your disappointed with some recent results and performances, but overall, he's doing a bang up job

Need to be fair.

Pearson managed us first season after promotion, worse squad on paper, target of survival.

MON was not managing under billionaire owners and largely reliant on signing lower league players.

I always think of this when a discussion is raised who is the best manager.

It is a bit like saying pep winning the title is better than howe keeping bournemouth in the football league. On paper it is, but different challenges to each other.

1 minute ago, Fox 4 Life said:

My bigger concern than losing him is the subsequent approaches for Fofana, Ndidi, Tielemans etc 

Well....Rodgers is the reason for me we're losing Tielemans anyway.

As for the other two, not sure United will spend the £100 million we want.

Our beloved internet seems awash with talk of Brendan to Utd. But then it is awash with tits as well. Not wishing to be one of the knockers, but I find these relentless articles, like our more mainstream media, completely lacking in honesty. 

IF Utd come in for him he goes - it’s that simple. Anyone would frankly, apart from perhaps Klopp and Peppa. 

4 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Our beloved internet seems awash with talk of Brendan to Utd. But then it is awash with tits as well. Not wishing to be one of the knockers, but I find these relentless articles, like our more mainstream media, completely lacking in honesty. 

IF Utd come in for him he goes - it’s that simple. Anyone would frankly, apart from perhaps Klopp and Peppa. 

Tell me why he would go ,BR has the backing of the owners at City, and he is rebuilding the squad ,big loss if he goes to united, 

10 minutes ago, NasPb said:

If pearson had the job now, where'd we finish? I think at max 7-10. He's underrated in general. Switched to 3 at the back before it was cool in 2015

Playing 3 at the back was very popular in NP’s playing days. It seemed the most popular formation in the early 1990s