Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

41 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Its not obvious, lets not be ridiculous, some jobs are poisonous.

Arsenal was until they (seem to at least) did the right thing and accepted tough times with a coach who they believe can progress.

Its not always so simple, managers, players, staff talk. If there is friction and a lack of direction at a club, the first person through that door fixes it and in all likelihood gets binned whilst doing it. 

The expectation at Man Utd is huge, anyone with sense would look at West Ham now, see Moyes, see how he was ruined at Man Utd and pause.

Big clubs are great when they aren`t a mess.

Maybe you think have loads of cash and kudos is enough of course.... (Any candidate already has loads of cash)

I mean apparently Ole and his blame escaping coaches have been trying 70m Sancho at wing back, the setup is amateur hour, and you cannot change it all *

* Unless your name is Ralf Ragnick

You’re talking from the perspective of a rational human being not infected with the hunger to be recognised as one of the best in a particular sport. 

The only ridiculous thing is thinking that someone like Brendan Rodgers would turn down Man Utd. It’s not going to happen, EVER, poisonous or not. It’s one of the 3 or 4 biggest jobs in football. It’s the pinnacle that these guys aim at and it’s delusional to think that our setup would in anyway dissuade him from going - it won’t. 

That being said, I still see it is highly unlikely that Utd will come in for him - despite the rumours of him moving his kids to schools in Manchester. 

Lots of hot air in the media as usual, but let’s not kid ourselves just because it’s more comfortable for us. 

Edited by ARM1968

3 hours ago, SO1 said:

Still don't know why Rodgers would leave here just to go to another club and risk failure.

Unless he has a partnership with those who hold the power above him and an understanding/agreement of what its going to take to accomplish the goals set for him. I don't see the point. Him and his agent have to know the lay of the land much better than we do.

The seeming lack of any kind of organization from the top on down at United has continuously set them up to fail.` Until they can get their club running like Leicester they seem to be spinning their wheels. The attraction for Rodgers should be to work for a Leicester type organization but with more money.

Thats the thing about climbing up the managerial ladder. The higher you go the less patience there is. I would think Rodgers would want to feel assured that he can meet expectations given what he has and what will be promised. The last thing he needs is another Liverpool rebuilding project and setting up shop for the next guy to succeed.

...we all know Ferguson was in the last chance saloon at the start of his tenure!!!

Perfect time to come in and take over.

28 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

You’re talking from the perspective of a rational human being not infected with the hunger to be recognised as one of the best in a particular sport. 

The only ridiculous thing is thinking that someone like Brendan Rodgers would turn down Man Utd. It’s not going to happen, EVER, poisonous or not. It’s one of the 3 or 4 biggest jobs in football. It’s the pinnacle that these guys aim at and it’s delusional to think that our setup would in anyway dissuade him from going - it won’t. 

That being said, I still see it is highly unlikely that Utd will come in for him - despite the rumours of him moving his kids to schools in Manchester. 

Lots of hot air in the media as usual, but let’s not kid ourselves just because it’s more comfortable for us. 

I understand, but I could argue you are taking the media line and everyone would of course want the throne, the top job. Bear in mind that he has had it before and it was not a wholesome experience! Not saying he won’t go, he probably will if offered it, just that we need not be fearful as it’s not quite such a sure thing.

(else he would have gone to Arsenal. lol )

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

I understand, but I could argue you are taking the media line and everyone would of course want the throne, the top job. Bear in mind that he has had it before and it was not a wholesome experience! Not saying he won’t go, he probably will if offered it, just that we need not be fearful as it’s not quite such a sure thing.

(else he would have gone to Arsenal. lol )

Arsenal?  Holy crap. They aren’t Man Utd. 

The only thing we have is that this is all just media hot air, speculation and probably fantasy. 

My point was and remains, that Rodgers would jump at the Man Utd job. There are likely only 4 or 5 managers who wouldn’t. Whether he is given that opportunity is another matter. 

2 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Arsenal?  Holy crap. They aren’t Man Utd. 

The only thing we have is that this is all just media hot air, speculation and probably fantasy. 

My point was and remains, that Rodgers would jump at the Man Utd job. There are likely only 4 or 5 managers who wouldn’t. Whether he is given that opportunity is another matter. 

Think you need to start supporting Man Utd. lol

6 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Think you need to start supporting Man Utd. lol

Low sir and unnecessary. They are a bunch of cvnts - but that does nothing to diminish their pull for those attracted by such things. 

I acknowledge your decent into ridicule as an admission of defeat 🤣

As we have both said, though, it is unlikely, so let’s hold to that straw for now. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Low sir and unnecessary. They are a bunch of cvnts - but that does nothing to diminish their pull for those attracted by such things. 

I acknowledge your decent into ridicule as an admission of defeat 🤣

As we have both said, though, it is unlikely, so let’s hold to that straw for now. 

Aye, let’s assume he will stay until the bluster has blown itself out.

Defeat? Au contraire…you do realise if he is still here post international break, it is a unilateral victory, right?

2 hours ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

To be fair, I could see this happening. I’m still not convinced that this would be a good move for him, mind. I think United secretly know that they’ll struggle to attract a Zidane or Simeone which is why they’re eyeing up Rodgers - a very good manager but I think ultimately, he’ll still be used as a stepping stone. It’s a real possibility that he’ll be there for a season and a half, do ok, manage some of their egos and then be hounded out. 

Regarding us, I think we will be just fine. Got massive amounts of respect for Rodgers and nobody can argue about how well he has done for us but we’d attract a decent name. Make no mistake about that. A talented young squad, an immense training complex and a supportive board.

I am actually relaxed about this situation to be honest.

I’m in the exact same boat, the way the club has grown I think we could attract a very good manager here. It’s an exciting “project” for most managers and a club where they will have the boards backing.

Rodgers has moved us up a peg or 2 in his time here but people need to realise that managers have a lifecycle at a club and Brendan has been here around 3 years. Not sure what the general average is for Prem teams but I would think he’s approaching the latter stages for a combination of reasons, him wanting to move on or the club wanting to inject a fresh approach (should the opportunity arise).

• Like 1

BR must know that if he went to Man Utd then he wouldn't have the control that he needs in order to turn things around. I wouldn't be surprised if personnel such as Carrick staying would be a requirement of any agreement. BR certainly wouldn't have the control he has at lcfc regarding player transfers etc and the relationships with personnel like Rudkin and Wheelan.

Then there is fergies influence still over the club and the board. Its a very peculiar set up that unless you hit the reset button, nothing will change. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, MalletFox said:

I’m in the exact same boat, the way the club has grown I think we could attract a very good manager here. It’s an exciting “project” for most managers and a club where they will have the boards backing.

Rodgers has moved us up a peg or 2 in his time here but people need to realise that managers have a lifecycle at a club and Brendan has been here around 3 years. Not sure what the general average is for Prem teams but I would think he’s approaching the latter stages for a combination of reasons, him wanting to move on or the club wanting to inject a fresh approach (should the opportunity arise).

Agree yeah. Come March, he will have been in charge for three seasons I believe? I always thought that he would use as a stepping stone as whilst he matched expectations at Celtic it was nowhere near enough for a big club to take him on. It was a perfect fit for both really - we attracted a very good manager and he got to take a club on which had a very talented squad. In that time though, he has massively exceeded expectations, I mean, if somebody had said that he’d finish 5th twice and win the FA Cup I would have laughed.

For these reasons above I don’t envy him for going for a top job. The United job is still the pinnacle of English football. But at the same time, it’s also important to accept that a culmination of Rodgers taking us up a peg, us having a fantastic squad and a very supportive board will definitely mean that we can attract a very good manager.

Edited by Matt_Lcfc
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

BR must know that if he went to Man Utd then he wouldn't have the control that he needs in order to turn things around. I wouldn't be surprised if personnel such as Carrick staying would be a requirement of any agreement. BR certainly wouldn't have the control he has at lcfc regarding player transfers etc and the relationships with personnel like Rudkin and Wheelan.

Then there is fergies influence still over the club and the board. Its a very peculiar set up that unless you hit the reset button, nothing will change. 

Would they even be willing to look at a manager like Rodgers if they weren't willing to hit the reset button to some extent? He has to have some degree of power/say in terms of the type of player and how they will fit into the system/style of play. Just like here.

No doubt Rodgers will find some rough gems who others have deemed dross or under performing and strengthen their squad as a whole. That should allow the club to push(spend money) for a special player or two in key positions. Rodgers will make them stronger just as everywhere else he's worked. How soon they forget:).

38 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

But that control won't ever be guaranteed at a bigger club and yet he needs a bigger club to paint the legacy he craves. Him getting out of Leicester with a trophy to his name, Europe back to back will be a huge stamp for his CV.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SO1 said:

Would they even be willing to look at a manager like Rodgers if they weren't willing to hit the reset button to some extent? He has to have some degree of power/say in terms of the type of player and how they will fit into the system/style of play. Just like here.

No doubt Rodgers will find some rough gems who others have deemed dross or under performing and strengthen their squad as a whole. That should allow the club to push(spend money) for a special player or two in key positions. Rodgers will make them stronger just as everywhere else he's worked. How soon they forget:).

I just wonder how many rough gems Rodgers has brought in here, or has he simply polished the gems that were provided for him?

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

Aye, let’s assume he will stay until the bluster has blown itself out.

Defeat? Au contraire…you do realise if he is still here post international break, it is a unilateral victory, right?

For whom?  I didn’t say he was going. I said if it is offered he will jump faster than a gymnast with a crow scarer strapped to his testicles. 

That, I think, will represent defeat for us all, unless we pull off an even more incredible managerial coup - which I doubt. 

Edited by ARM1968

What do you think if he jumped ship to Utd. Would we be all be wishing him well and say thanks Bren for what you've done , give him a round of applause when he turns up at the KP with Ronaldo and co. Claudio, Shakey and Nige are still held in high regard around here but would he be?

14 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

For whom?  I didn’t say he was going. I said if it is offered he will jump faster than a gymnast with a crow scarer strapped to his testicles. 

That, I think, will represent defeat for us all, unless we pull off an even more incredible managerial coup - which I doubt. 

The final insult for Man Utd fans would be if they got Rodgers for 20m, but we got Ten Haag for peanuts lol

46 minutes ago, deep blue said:

I just wonder how many rough gems Rodgers has brought in here, or has he simply polished the gems that were provided for him?

Find. Rodgers always works with what he's given. You think its simple what he, the staff and players do? Always makes players better no matter where he manages. Two 5th place finishes and an FA Cup are considerably better than before he came? Not to mention doing that during Covid and all the injuries we've had due to the increased amount and congestion of fixtures. Its not like getting behind the wheel of a car and pushing the gas and turning the wheel.

Edited by SO1

If there is even a whiff of truth in these Utd rumours then I think Rodgers will end up leaving. 

I see posters saying why would he go? he won’t have same control there and they are a mess of a club etc etc but we also have to look it from his perspective - 

1) unlike us he isn’t a Leicester City fan, this is not the pinnacle and probably not where he sees himself ending his career 

2) whilst we are a very progressive and ambitious club clearly on the up, we are not an ‘elite’ club and that will take a good few years longer at least 

3) Brendan like most football managers has an ego and a belief in their ability, he will be looking at this opportunity with a view of I can turn United around and when I do I will leave a legacy, this opportunity if real will appeal to him

4) Brendan clearly has ambitions to manage at ‘elite’ level again and replacing Ole gives him the opportunity to do that at one of the most iconic clubs in football that will have massive appeal to him 

5) he will be backed financially and if he can bring in 2/3 decent players, address the squad imbalance with a bit of organisation and structure he could have them challenging for the title

6) we have a wonderful squad of players, probably the best in our history, however that doesn’t come close to the opportunity to work with some of the worlds best talent and the chance to work at a club with the resources and profile to be able to sign the very best in the world

7) this could be his best chance to manage one of the great clubs in world football, the City job may never materialise, that is further down the line and who knows what can happen, whilst he is clearly uncomfortable leaving us mid-season, if Utd force his hand then I think he will go as it will be too good an opportunity to turn down

i think we have to be realistic, if this is true I can only see it ending one way, plus if we stand in his way, we could end up with a very disgruntled manager and that will end up in disaster. 

• Like 1