Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

On 10/11/2021 at 19:56, Guest454545 said:

Also, bookies didn't mess up at all. You were 5000-1 to win the title before that season started because you spent most of the previous season in a relegation fight. You were definitely the best team in the league that season, but there was absolutely nothing to indicate that based on the previous 12 months.

Thanks for your exhaustive explanation. I had an idea that's what you were getting at, but I couldn't get my brain around the concept - in isolation that is.

As for the bookies - I suspect they would have tightened their procedures to include possibilities of an outsider doing better than expected. Early successes by unfancied teams usually revert to mid-table finishes. That's what they expected - and they were complacent and got it wrong.

They didn't notice the presence of a number of outstanding players in the squad and the élan and determination that had developed under Pearson - especially the change in regime, the consecutive promotions and the 'Great Escape'. Stats couldn't cover that kind of unprecedented development of a team so resilient, talented and disrespectful of the status quo.

I wonder when the bookies cottoned on to what was happening and when they began to shorten the odds and offset bets. Had they been Bitcoin speculators, they'd have been on it like a terrier on a rat.   

1 hour ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

Brendan Rodgers will do what's best for Brendan Rodgers. Hard to believe I know (for some) but true. 

And that's the cold reality of it. Maybe he turned his back on Arsenal because he saw it as a potential minefield, whereas City was a comfortable hang-out until a better prospect emerged. His ticket back into the Prem with three safe season as a cushion. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, gerblod said:

Thanks for your exhaustive explanation. I had an idea that's what you were getting at, but I couldn't get my brain around the concept - in isolation that is.

As for the bookies - I suspect they would have tightened their procedures to include possibilities of an outsider doing better than expected. Early successes by unfancied teams usually revert to mid-table finishes. That's what they expected - and they were complacent and got it wrong.

They didn't notice the presence of a number of outstanding players in the squad and the élan and determination that had developed under Pearson - especially the change in regime, the consecutive promotions and the 'Great Escape'. Stats couldn't cover that kind of unprecedented development of a team so resilient, talented and disrespectful of the status quo.

I wonder when the bookies cottoned on to what was happening and when they began to shorten the odds and offset bets. Had they been Bitcoin speculators, they'd have been on it like a terrier on a rat.   

After the first few games the odds tightened a bit but, for a brief week after the Arsenal defeat (2-5 at home), they lengthened again to 5000-1.  That was a golden moment that gave us another chance to take the plunge.

I think that result was the catalyst for Ranieri dispensing with wing backs and settling on Simpson and Fuchs as defensive full backs, and the rest is history.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ARM1968 said:

Arsenal?  Holy crap. They aren’t Man Utd. 

I'm not sure Man U are Man U any longer :rolleyes:The club certainly doesn't resemble the one I admired as a kid. Sold out to Yankee speculators, squat for the plastics and media darlings - no longer a place eliciting respect.

As for Arsenal, longest unbroken residence in the Premier/First, 3rd most titles, record for unbeaten run - their credentials are as good as United's. Had Wenger been more like Fergie their situations might have been reversed. 

On 10/11/2021 at 21:49, TrentFox said:

Ice cream sales go up as coat sales go down. There’s a correlation. But one event does not cause the other - there’s no causation. Hence correlation is not causation. I can’t understand why nobody invites me to dinner any more? 🤔🤷

Thank you for that concise and illuminating explanation. 

As for dinner invites, I can only surmise your table manners are awful. I'm sure your conversational skills are exemplary. I'd invite you myself, but chips in a tray is all I can offer.

• Haha 1

Whether Rodgers stays or leaves basically comes down to two things:

1) Whether Man Utd pull the plug on Solskjaer or give him more time.

2) Whether - as reported - Rodgers really is their first choice.

If Solskjaer is sacked and they really do want Rodgers, he'll go. He's too ambitious to turn it down.

• Like 2

If Rodgers were to leave and be replaced by Potter, I wouldn’t be in the least bit disappointed tbh. Not that I want Rodgers to go, I like both managers. Potter needs a bigger club to prove he can do it with better players, but the stats don’t lie, his system works. His teams create lots of quality chances and don’t concede many chances. 

If United to come, Rodgers goes, no question in my mind.

No believable sources say that’s happening though, that I’ve seen anyway. 

1 hour ago, gerblod said:

I'm not sure Man U are Man U any longer :rolleyes:The club certainly doesn't resemble the one I admired as a kid. Sold out to Yankee speculators, squat for the plastics and media darlings - no longer a place eliciting respect.

As for Arsenal, longest unbroken residence in the Premier/First, 3rd most titles, record for unbeaten run - their credentials are as good as United's. Had Wenger been more like Fergie their situations might have been reversed. 

Whilst I agree with this in statistical terms, those statistics in no way diminish the pull of Utd over Arsenal. You are quite correct in what you say, but Arsenal are not now and will never be seen as one of the top 4-5 management posts in world football. Man Utd are - despite their obvious demise in terms of ownership and ethos. 

We, you, peer from the outside in. Neither of us are on the inside of that management sphere, where the few truly big clubs lie at its centre drawing everything towards them - the money, the players, the decisions, the fan base AND the managers. 

Most ambitious people, in whichever sphere they operate, have a burning desire to be at the centre of it all, the heart of the beast if you will.  No one can claim that BR is not ambitious and I would strongly suspect that he sees himself at one of the truly massive clubs. It isn’t about what we see and know, but what they feel their destiny to be. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ARM1968 said:

Whilst I agree with this in statistical terms, those statistics in no way diminish the pull of Utd over Arsenal. You are quite correct in what you say, but Arsenal are not now and will never be seen as one of the top 4-5 management posts in world football. Man Utd are - despite their obvious demise in terms of ownership and ethos. 

We, you, peer from the outside in. Neither of us are on the inside of that management sphere, where the few truly big clubs lie at its centre drawing everything towards them - the money, the players, the decisions, the fan base AND the managers. 

Most ambitious people, in whichever sphere they operate, have a burning desire to be at the centre of it all, the heart of the beast if you will.  No one can claim that BR is not ambitious and I would strongly suspect that he sees himself at one of the truly massive clubs. It isn’t about what we see and know, but what they feel their destiny to be. 

There are only four clubs in England who I think Rodgers would leave us for - Liverpool, Man Utd, Man City and Chelsea. Liverpool won't come back for him, Tuchel is solid at Chelsea and Pep may yet stick around at Man City for a while, which leaves the Utd job as the only one likely to come up in the near future. If he's offered it, I think he'll accept it on the basis that jobs like that don't come around very often and it might be his only chance.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

....you make them sound like a "black hole"...!!!

Devouring everything they come into contact with and a continuing influence regarding the surrounding world around them.

Perhaps as we speak Rodgers is standing at the edge of the Event Horizon, ....it will be a big decision to decide to go in....!

Rodgers owes us nothing, he's come in and performed to expectations albeit in a frustratingly Jekyll and Hyde nature. If he gets an offer from a club that can offer him better opportunities and a higher ceiling then I wouldn't begrudge it. There's absolutely nothing in the Man City stuff, it's a hangover from his successfull (blowing what looked like a simple league title win) season at Liverpool.

Man U though, they've proven that as long as the media think someone is world class, then that's good enough for them.

11 minutes ago, Strokes said:

It’d be strange for fans to expect loyalty in the football world, when by and large they don’t display any themselves.

Exactly, you can'y begrudge players wanting to better themselves, much like we as a club have been outgrowing players. I think we're probably loyal to a fault though, we find it hard to let go of players we no longer need.

On 10/11/2021 at 19:56, Guest454545 said:

It means that two events occur in relation to each other without the being a direct cause and effect relationship. In this instance, paying more wages doesn't automatically mean higher placement in the table, but the ability to pay higher wages means being able to attract better players in greater numbers, which does increase win probability. Therefore, there is a correlation between wage-paying ability and table placement in football leagues, but not an actual direct cause. 

Also, bookies didn't mess up at all. You were 5000-1 to win the title before that season started because you spent most of the previous season in a relegation fight. You were definitely the best team in the league that season, but there was absolutely nothing to indicate that based on the previous 12 months.

We won 7 of our last 9 games, you could argue the signs were there. Whoever compiled those odds wouldn't be patting themselves on the backs that year, put it that way.