Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

To put old Managers into perspective, some players worth today, adjusted for inflation.

Mark Draper - £24m

Mark Robins - £16m

Matt Elliott - £16m

Darren Eddie - £14m

Andy Impey - £14m

Frank Sinclair - £12m

Arnar Gunnlaugsson - £11m

Nicky Mohan - £5.5m

Gary Parker - £5.5m

Then you look at the outs ….

Emile Heskey - £50m

Mark Draper - £42m

Gary Rowett - £18m

Matt Piper - £18m

Jeff Schlupp - £17m

Julian Joachim - £14m

Tommy Wright - £11.5m

On reflection , and in spite of what the idiot hacks say , I think Rodgers will realise that Leicester City and he are a pretty good fit. He gets paid well and gets a decent transfer budget. I think the owners will be pretty satisfied if he keeps us in the top half of the table. We are already the number one team in the midlands with a growing fanbase. He is in very little danger of the sack , inspite of what some might say on here. Really he should think "the bird in the hand".

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....probably we could compare Rodgers against Ranieri as to 15/16 in the case of if Rodgers was in place at the time, would it have happened!!!

I think judging by what we have witnessed recently there is only one answer.

Well surely, all else being equal, it is just as likely that it would have happened as not. I mean he took you from 9th to 5th and a second trophy in 5 years. 

Edited by Guest454545

41 minutes ago, NasPb said:

im usually more optimistic but vestergaard aint gonna cut it here. if rodgers had more cojones he would ties like claudio with hernandez and instead go for someone whos actually decent and has experience. id say even egan from sheffield. ideally tarko though

Bit easier when the player was on a free like Hernandez rather then 15m. 

1 hour ago, foxinsocks said:

I think he is a renter.

If your nans assets are greater than 320k (or 740k if yourgrandpa left everything to her)then your nan might look at equity release and then tuck the money into a bpr scheme sothat after only 2 years it will be iht exempt.  She can then leave this to you and your siblings and cousins.... paying no iht 

She planning of blowing the lot on a string of cruises followed by a cushy retirement home where she'll flirt with a bunch of old duffers who still have their marbles.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

He also has the greatest resources.

You can't compare Rodgers - a brand new training ground, new ground (or "new-ish" ground) and the ability to go out and spend £30m on a young French centre back - with Martin O'Neill who was signing players from Crewe and playing home games in a 100 year old ground.

Huhu hay. !!   That 100 year old Sacred  ground Lasted longer than many churches and the Beam of the Football holy grail once known as Filbert street...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Greg2607 said:

who are we classing as his contemporaries then?  

I was saying he was statistically the best manager we've had, I also suggested he's probably the best manager we could get given the size and stature of our club, as our best ever squad still couldn't break into the top 4...... you then suggested we couldn't compare him to MON, as that was too long ago..... (rodgers bought a player from Luton by the way and he seemed to do ok...)

if we are comparing him to his current contemporaries, he is the 12th best coach in the premier league... so therefore we can do better. 

potter in.

I know what you were saying but statistically managers cannot be compared because football changes so much over time, plus you're comparing managers who have managed a different amount of games.

Given the size and structure of the club he could be the best manager we could get, or we could get a better one. We don't know. Rodgers could leave and we go down but he could also leave and we could push onto the top 4 (both unlikely for me).

I did not say he is the 12th best manager in the league either, he's obviously better than that, we're about 10 games into a season. I prefer to re-access in another 10 games.

5 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

it’s an odd one with Kel cos he’s been messed about at times but before Rodgers, he never showed anywhere this form. Also think Rodgers first manager to recognise he simply doesn’t work as a lone striker and it asks too much of him 

...it took him a long time...we could all see it...!!!

Rodgers struck lucky when Nacho went on scoring spree, you can see Nacho has forced his hand, but he still does not trust him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sean Dyche lives near by me in Northampton, travels between here and another home in Chesterfield to Burnley each week. I think when your wealth allows you to live essentially where you want we're probably reading quite a lot into him wanting to live in Cheshire - which is 'only' under two hours away from Seagrave.

The training ground has a massive hotel suite on it now too - maybe Rodgers is happy to travel between Cheshire and Leicester and occassionally slumming it at the training ground.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

On reflection , and in spite of what the idiot hacks say , I think Rodgers will realise that Leicester City and he are a pretty good fit. He gets paid well and gets a decent transfer budget. I think the owners will be pretty satisfied if he keeps us in the top half of the table. We are already the number one team in the midlands with a growing fanbase. He is in very little danger of the sack , inspite of what some might say on here. Really he should think "the bird in the hand".

Realism could dictate that, yet the ego which drives 'achievers' often leaves them walking away from a comfy fit into a hornet's nest.

He could have a long tenure at City and he could survive the dips the team experience - but only by focusing on how best to hone his squad into being creative, adaptive and disciplined.

He's still young enough to learn and experienced enough to know when to abandon flights of fancy like repairing United. If he examined the relative stability here against the chaos that is Old Trafford objectively, then sense would suggest to not touch it with a bargepole. Sense would suggest that a management structure that hadn't sacked OGS by now doesn't hold a candle to Top & Co. 

I suspect he wants to walk away with a Premier title. The Champion's League is a lottery with currently PSG, Bayern, Chelsea and Man City equipped to take it. Hammering United into shape would take longer than the same process at Spurs or Arsenal. And, if I were selecting Ole's replacement I'd be looking at David Moyes. He's been there, he's currently doing a fine job at West Ham and I think there's a lingering affection for him with United fans - who could be resentful of BR's Liverpool 'taint'.

The squad need to see full commitment in him and need to see absolute impartiality in his team selections. So do we.

Had he said, when the Arsenal rumours were flying around, 'I'm definitely staying at Leicester whatever offers come my way', he'd have won over many more fans than his equivocal 'Why would I want to leave Leicester?' did.

I hope you're right in your assumption.

• Like 1

I've said this before multiple times, and people have argued against it, but Injuries under Rodgers have undoubtedly increased. 

I'm not talking about the leg break of Fofana.....But how many times has a player come straight back into the side, following an injury, and has got injured very quickly again?

It's pretty clear, that Rodgers rushes players back, sooner than he should.....Or even overplays them.

Ndidi barely missed a game for us before Rodgers arrived, now he has at least 1 if not 2 periods a season where he is injured.

Soyuncu/Ricardo are two players off the top of my head that have returned from injury, to only be forced off in the same game they have returned.

We've been lucky that Tielemans, until now, has somehow remained invulnerable to injuries, despite clearly being overplayed.

I think it's a result of a bigger failing Rodgers has though, and that is his ability to manage a squad.

Tielemans never getting a rest, and Iheanacho rarely getting a start, despite both being arguably the two most crucial players in their position at the end of last season, shows just how bizarre his squad management is at times.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FoxyLeon said:

I've said this before multiple times, and people have argued against it, but Injuries under Rodgers have undoubtedly increased. 

I'm not talking about the leg break of Fofana.....But how many times has a player come straight back into the side, following an injury, and has got injured very quickly again?

It's pretty clear, that Rodgers rushes players back, sooner than he should.....Or even overplays them.

Ndidi barely missed a game for us before Rodgers arrived, now he has at least 1 if not 2 periods a season where he is injured.

Soyuncu/Ricardo are two players off the top of my head that have returned from injury, to only be forced off in the same game they have returned.

We've been lucky that Tielemans, until now, has somehow remained invulnerable to injuries, despite clearly being overplayed.

I think it's a result of a bigger failing Rodgers has though, and that is his ability to manage a squad.

Tielemans never getting a rest, and Iheanacho rarely getting a start, despite both being arguably the two most crucial players in their position at the end of last season, shows just how bizarre his squad management is at times.

The issue is we have key players with no clear replacement. Who comes in for Tielemans if he's rested and can do even remotely a simliar job? There's nobody else with his skillset and he's integral to how we play. Nobody else in our team has his vision or passing ability. It's no surprise Rodgers keeps playing him, I probably would as well. This is the clear issue because we rotate other key players (Vardy, Barnes, Maddison, Ricardo, Castagne for example) where we have adequate depth.

Edited by Beechey

40 minutes ago, Beechey said:

The issue is we have key players with no clear replacement. Who comes in for Tielemans if he's rested and can do even remotely a simliar job? There's nobody else with his skillset and he's integral to how we play. Nobody else in our team has his vision or passing ability. It's no surprise Rodgers keeps playing him, I probably would as well. This is the clear issue because we rotate other key players (Vardy, Barnes, Maddison, Ricardo, Castagne for example) where we have adequate depth.

Surely it's upto the manager, a manager that people insist is top class and almost out of our range, to find a way to juggle the players and find another way to play when resting a player. Leaning heavily on one top quality player is not the sign of a top quality manager to me, it's how I'd describe Ole.

57 minutes ago, Beechey said:

What message does it give to our squad players if Rodgers doesn't trust them, isn't prepared to give them a go in place of Tielemans?  What is a squad for?  Why does it make sense to treat any player as unmissable? You only store up trouble for yourself in the longer term.

It's true there is no direct replacement for Tielemans within our squad, just as we've never found a direct replacement for Mahrez, but what you do is to use the resources at your disposal and weave them together in subtly different combinations in order to effect a similar whole team performance.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Beechey said:

...Maddison states he is a #8...!!!

It is an option, Rodgers has not tried to implement this.

The paradox is Rodgers states he prefers to work with a small squad but he decries our lack of depth, and the finance available. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...Maddison states he is a #8...!!!

It is an option, Rodgers has not tried to implement this.

The paradox is Rodgers states he prefers to work with a small squad but he decries our lack of depth, and the finance available. 

Maddison has played as an 8 before under Rodgers. 

It is not the lack of depth that the issue. It's the lack of quality depth. 

Take CM, we have Tielemans, Soumare, Nididi, KDH, Choudhury and Mendy.

6 players to cover 2-3 positions is acceptable; however, 2-3 aren't the quality required to compete in for the top 6  

RW/LW, we have Barnes, Lookman, Perez, Albrighton.

4 players to cover 2 positions is acceptable again, but a lack of quality depth again. 

There is no point in having another Choudhury or Lookman in the squad. 

I think we’re going to seriously struggle over the coming months. We’re playing games every 3 or 4 days in December then we’re going to be f ucked when Ndidi, Amartey and Iheanacho leave for the ACN.

Vestergaard and Choudhury will be playing a lot more often :S

• Sad 1