Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

He will struggle to come back in many eyes after reading those post match interview comments. Criticising the support and saying we’ve overachieved. 

The latter may be correct but you don’t publicly say that with a fanbase and a squad listening. What a motivating tactic to a player. You’ve overachieved 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

He will struggle to come back in many eyes after reading those post match interview comments. Criticising the support and saying we’ve overachieved. 

The latter may be correct but you don’t publicly say that with a fanbase and a squad listening. What a motivating tactic to a player. You’ve overachieved 

Perhaps, depends if what he said privately was “prove me wrong lads”

Just now, Cardiff_Fox said:

It’s self preservation. May as well have said “I don’t know what you’re complaining about, I’ve done a great job with non-elite players at this provincial club. None of this is my fault, we’ve had lots of injuries and the players keep letting me down”.

Lots of our fans agree with him.

11 minutes ago, lcfcbluearmy said:

I am planning devil's advocate here but what if he made the comment about overachieving because he feels like some of the players have got too big for their boots and need reminding that they aren't as good as they think they are and need to try harder?

Well, then he would be massively contradicting himself, because he used to say about the likes of Tielemans, Evans, Vards that they are the top players, among the best in Europe 

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20211029-tielemans-is-one-of-europe-s-top-midfielders-says-rodgers

https://www.goal.com/en-in/news/vardy-is-one-of-the-best-in-europe-says-rodgers-as-leicester/1u72lktqq93yn1kwms3o6dzu06

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brendan-rodgers-hails-jonny-evans-21855582

So when and why did all this cream of the crop turned sour I wonder? lol 

Besides BR's "we" is a bit too general for my liking 

Also, even if we consider this as a kind of motivational tactic, I just don't see how it would bring a positive effect. You just don't say stuff like that in public, that for me is the absolute basics of a working human relationship. If you want Tielers/Vards/Kasper/whoever to know he's got to big for his boots, you speak that 1 to 1 or at the very worst in front of other players... (which would be also wrong imo, I never saw a positive aspect in denigrating/ understating people's skills/achievements etc in front of others, you can't grow from that, you can only sink in further, but obviously it's better than what we were just served by BR chatting shit on the tv/radio for the entire world to hear!

Edited by Chester Dontlie

Guest Kopfkino
3 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Pretty sure the guff he’s coming out with at the moment is purely to protect his own reputation. 

4 minutes ago, DoveValleyFox said:

If BR gets interviewed for the manu job he will be asked what has happened with our defence this season.

He might reply that a quality full back and centre back are still out with long-term injuries (JJ and WF); that one centre back is still carrying a serious foot injury (JE); that another is seriously lacking confidence after a disastrous Euro championship (CS); that another full back is just regaining his composure after literally having his face smashed in (TC) with another finally improving after a potentially career ending knee injury (RP). He might also add that he should take some credit for a run of good form from a squad filling centre back (DA). 

The interview might never happen but if it did, they may consider that point of view.

Given his track record this season, he will not be considered. His defence tactics,  what ever they are ?

MU are just as bad, he would not even make the short list. However, if we were sitting in the top 4-5 then that would interest them.

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

Perhaps, depends if what he said privately was “prove me wrong lads”

I think it may work in a different era. I don’t think it really works now. I’ve seen very little from this squad when it comes to bouncing back. Squad seems to be lacking some inner leader/drivers for me. I think there’s a few we perceive to be that type but probably aren’t. Evans being one; super player but is more of a player by example rather than vocal

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ttfn said:

It’s self preservation. May as well have said “I don’t know what you’re complaining about, I’ve done a great job with non-elite players at this provincial club. None of this is my fault, we’ve had lots of injuries and the players keep letting me down”.

Lots of our fans agree with him.

Rather Dyche esque with his protection of Burnley and anything above 17th. Puel said similar words and it got absolutely panned 

Btw, if we think about this game in isolation, I’d have expected a lot of managers to be severely hurt by Chelsea hitting a hammer blow when it came to our CL chances in mid May. 

Sometimes it’s good to have emotion and a bit of aggression in sport. I think the United win showed a bit of fierceness when it came to Maguire but absolutely nothing of the sort today 

14 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

Tuchel is on a totally different level to Rodgers. Tuchel demands and sets high standards. Playing poorly is not good enough for him.

He is an elite level manager, BR is a good manager.

However it also a lot easier when you have an elite level squad 

1 minute ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Btw, if we think about this game in isolation, I’d have expected a lot of managers to be severely hurt by Chelsea hitting a hammer blow when it came to our CL chances in mid May. 

Sometimes it’s good to have emotion and a bit of aggression in sport. I think the United win showed a bit of fierceness when it came to Maguire but absolutely nothing of the sort today 

Gotta think that Man Utd were in a pretty bad place compared to Chelsea though. Tuchel is on a whole new level compared to Ole. 

Not taking anything away from our win vs them because it would have been unfortunate and unforgivable to not beat that Utd side, but it wasn't just fierceness against Maguire - it was the mentality to get on top of a team that is just well below their status and piling in on that. 

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Gotta think that Man Utd were in a pretty bad place compared to Chelsea though. Tuchel is on a whole new level compared to Ole. 

Not taking anything away from our win vs them because it would have been unfortunate and unforgivable to not beat that Utd side, but it wasn't just fierceness against Maguire - it was the mentality to get on top of a team that is just well below their status and piling in on that. 

Agreed but this is equally a Chelsea team what showed some weakness recently. Particularly against direct teams. They had a bit of wobble against Malmö when faced with a deep block but we did a half way house rather than be expressive or defend in numbers 

5 minutes ago, MalletFox said:

Will be strange next wkend with the manager in the opposition dugout getting a better reception than our current manager.

Bit like when Puel was here and albeit unfortunate and incredibly sad circumstances Ranieri and Pearson were in attendance.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, iancognito said:

Daka and Soumare weren't bought for potential. Soumare has played 2/3 of the games. Daka was bought as a man who had scored goals at a high level and could give Vardy a rest. He's been way under-used in a lot of people's opinion. Those two were there as the players to give the likes of Vardy, Tielemans and Ndidi a rest. Bertrand replaced Fuchs, Lookman was a replacement for Ghezzal after he left.

Vestergaard was the only one that was a panic buy as Evans was still unfit and fofana crocked.

The window isn't really the issue. We've now got a bigger pool of players but aren't playing as well as we were before they joined. It just doesn't make sense.

The number one priority should of been a quality winger to come into our starting 11, not a central midfielder when we still had 5 on the books in the first team and a striker when we have Vardy and Iheanacho. Don’t get me wrong, I like Soumare and Daka and the thinking behind it, but a proper winger would of improved us more than what they have. I’ve always thought, the best way to improve a squad, is to bring in better than what you already have. We certainly haven’t done that 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

How much do you think it costs to buy starters who improve a team that just finished 5th twice ??

we don’t pay big enough wages to get top quality in who may have to sit on the bench. We will always have a first eleven and then a group, of players who aren’t quite as good as those starters and another group who are obviously worse than the starters in their preferred positions. 

if you think we haven’t over achieved by finishing top six twice with our squad then you’re deluded 

just as we over achieved by winning the league with that 15/16 team.

ambition and targets are essential at pro level but unless you have a handle on what’s acceptable and unacceptable you’ll never cope with the peaks and troughs which are inevitable unless you can chuck many hundreds of millions at the squad 

Number one priority should of been a quality winger to come into the starting 11. If that meant we couldn’t afford to sign Soumare and Daka, and only brought in 1 player, so be it. That position should of been sorted first. Ultimately the only way you improve a squad is by bringing in better than what you already have 

20 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

That good, his been bomb out by Everton and Leipzig.

He a decent player for a mid table club, nothing wrong with that.

fair enough, i think he's been our best creative attacking player this season. He's certainly showed better ability and was very close to scoring our only goal today and still very young.

• Like 4

Yea his comments has pissed me off especially after that shower of shite which I lay blame mainly at his door.

Says we kept giving the ball away, that’s what you get when you start Barnes and Vardy up top.

The pressing game was horrendous, our front three’s press was easily bypassed every time which then meant Ndidi and Soumare were in no mans land against 4 Chelsea players whilst the back 5 watched wave after wave of attacks coming their way. The players had no clue what to do because they knew what BR had set them up to do was not working at all.

I can’t believe how tactically bad that was from a guy who I held quite highly in terms of how to play the game. It was one of the worst performances I’ve seen, around the 60 min mark I thought there was a good chance I might see for the first time that we haven’t had a single attempt at goal, on or off target!

He needs to quickly realise if this pressing game is for us because it’s awful and actually embarrassing to watch. If we can’t press then let’s at least make it difficult for the opposition. Currently it’s way too easy for us to concede chances but so hard trying to set up Vardy.

Sort it out lad and stop being a biatch!

1 minute ago, splinterdream said:

fair enough, i think he's been our best creative attacking player this season. He's certainly showed better ability and was very close to scoring our only goal today and still very young.

Far to positive, exciting and expansive for old B-Dog.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

He is an elite level manager, BR is a good manager.

However it also a lot easier when you have an elite level squad 

The best drivers get the best cars, the best jockeys get the best horses, etc 

BR should be a great fit for us - he's not elite and neither are we. But we can be really really good, as can he. 

He is a bit of an odd bod, nothing particularly wrong with that, but I get the impression that he thinks that he is now better than the club.  

• Thanks 1