Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

As good as we were in the last two seasons, we should have walked in to the Champs League. He also masterminded two awful end of season slumps, the 2nd one we have not snapped out of. 

There have been some incredible results in his tenure but probably more shocking performances and capitulations. 

I can't forgive how his training methods which seem devoid of the basics (set pieces) and must be so high intense (every player now has had a long term injury in his tenure) are getting to the players. 

Finally his arrogance is starting to come through and saying what he really thinks yesterday along the lines of "what do you expect, we are only little Leicester" means his 2nd hand car dealer act is waining I'm my opinion. 

• Like 2

If I was the hierarchy at Man Utd wouldn’t Rodgers record here actually be quite concerning? Yes he’s won a Cup, and over achieved in the league, but arguably bottled it at the last. As our split fan base demonstrates it’s hardly all been plain sailing. If we’re in the European places now I could just about understand, but my feelings about Rodgers is that he’s about the best outside the elite group - is that good enough for Man Utd? I guess we’ll soon find out as Ole is going.

Guest Danny Clender

Are we really over achieving?

We have more than capable players on their day in Ndidi, Tielemans, Soyuncu, Vardy, Castagne, Barnes, Maddison, Daka and then some. 

We constantly hear about the elite training facilities.

We constantly hear about the revered club's philosophy. 

We constantly hear about the envious recruitment system.

We are where we are, but are we really over achieving considering everything we have invested and where we're supposed to be heading?

Not sure how long he was at Reading and Watford etc (not long I don’t think) - but pretty sure he was at Swansea and Liverpool for about 3 years. Celtic doesn’t count, but my point is that we are in unknown waters with Rodgers being at the helm for this long. 

People praise Rodgers for improving young players etc and he was good when he came in - he improved what we had. But now skip forward 2.5 or so years he’s had the opportunity to truly stamp his own authority and build his own team. Can we say that it’s working well, or as well as it could be?

We won't sack him, not yet. The only good thing that comes out of this horrifying defensive problem is that all eyes are now firmly on us and him. The media will run with this and he will be well and truly exposed for being a stubborn and/or clueless operator if he doesn't make some significant changes. He's got away with all this for ages as from the outside looking in what have we really had to moan about given the overall achievements but the penny has finally dropped now.

Time for Brendan to swallow his pride and take some brave moves, otherwise he's done.

• Like 1

For me, now, it is this simple. The players are clearly not enjoying their football - they are not a happy group being paid millions to do something which is usually fun. The fans have sensed it all season and for half of last. We are enduring the football, not enjoying it. The rot has set in and I cannot see someone as dull, slippery and disingenuous as BR turning that round. Let’s be honest, this will be the 3rd season in a row that we’ve run aground under his management - only this season we’ve settled in the rocks from the off. 

Edited by ARM1968
  • Like 2

For the first time I’m questioning him… why because the same mistakes and basic problems are there every game and he is unwilling to try something different. It is amazing what Rodgers has done for sure,  but we need someone that is more ambitious with the talent we have 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Danny Clender said:

Are we really over achieving?

We have more than capable players on their day in Ndidi, Tielemans, Soyuncu, Vardy, Castagne, Barnes, Maddison, Daka and then some. 

We constantly hear about the elite training facilities.

We constantly hear about the revered club's philosophy. 

We constantly hear about the envious recruitment system.

We are where we are, but are we really over achieving considering everything we have invested and where we're supposed to be heading?

Well not this season obviously, but yes.  To finish fifth twice and win a trophy is hugely overachieving for us.  The top six have turnovers double to triple ours.  That cartel should be unbreakable and out of reach but we managed to sneak in there twice.

• Like 1

Can’t understand fans getting mardy at claims we’re overachieving. It doesn’t mean we should accept our lot or we’re somehow admitting to being “small”. We wimple have overachieved and it’s beautiful.  To me it makes everything we’ve achieved all the more remarkable. Our league win isn’t even extraordinary if we didn’t overachieve. 

This doesn’t mean we should accept mediocrity. Just that our success should feel ever sweeter. It’s possible to both over achieve and want more. 

Edited by RumbleFox

55 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

If I was the hierarchy at Man Utd wouldn’t Rodgers record here actually be quite concerning? Yes he’s won a Cup, and over achieved in the league, but arguably bottled it at the last. As our split fan base demonstrates it’s hardly all been plain sailing. If we’re in the European places now I could just about understand, but my feelings about Rodgers is that he’s about the best outside the elite group - is that good enough for Man Utd? I guess we’ll soon find out as Ole is going.

Can we change the thread title to Brendan Bodgers please?

10 hours ago, oxtonfox said:

Apart from the United 4-2 and the odd half here and there our performances have been rank average or really poor all season. 

We still managed to concede twice and went behind early on - even this great result contained some of the ingredients of our poorer performances….

His comments about over achievement have really pissed me off. We've spent the whole of the last two seasons in the top 4 bar the last game of each season. We've strengthened the squad and Spurs, Man Utd and Arsenal are all not firing to their full potential. A top four place should have still been a target. I think the Fofana injury was incredibly damaging for us. Those minutes in the Villarreal gate before the injury had me purring and looking forward to a very good season ahead, but it's gone to shit since then and it's not all down to the injury. I think our Brendan is a bit of a fraud. He speaks well about optics and the rest, but some of his decisions are inexplicable. We're bottom of the league on sprint stats and are conceding from the near post for fun. If he was what everyone thinks he is these things would have been addressed by now. I could easily see the team losing faith in him.

Edited by An Away Move
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

We are no better defensively with Jonny Evans back in, which tells you it's more than just organisation. There's a huge malaise and crisis set in, I don't see how he sorts this. Rodgers has for the most part been excellent here and many a quality manager have had tenures come to a sorry end but that's just the way it is.

It's modern football, changing manager seems to work more than managers being given a lot of time and patience to turn things around when you can clearly see their effectiveness has worn off after s few years.

Rodgers doesn’t have the ambition to believe Leicester City are Champions League contenders he will see us a stepping stone his comments about money and overachievement do leave a sour taste in the mouth. If he truly doesn’t feel we aren’t a club capable of competing, then he can truly do one.

Are we overachieving I would say not, Arsenal and Tottenham have regressed over the past couple of seasons and we have taken over them in terms of ambition.

• Like 2

The comments about over achievement were weak and cowardly. It’s an attempt at a get out a cry for people to “look at what he has done”.

For me it’s over with him. I want to defend a corner. I want to attack one too.

Sorry, look at me the ungrateful over achiever.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, murphy said:

Well not this season obviously, but yes.  To finish fifth twice and win a trophy is hugely overachieving for us.  The top six have turnovers double to triple ours.  That cartel should be unbreakable and out of reach but we managed to sneak in there twice.

I think some posters are trying to make out we've always been crap under Rodgers to suit their agenda, it's ridiculous.

A far as overachieving goes I'd agree but not to the extent that some believe. We have the 8th highest wage bill and the 18th highest in Europe so 5th place is a decent overachievement but it's not remarkable.

• Like 1

Rodgers needs to step up as a coach as  we are on the slide.   He needs to show his credentials as a coach and turn us into a more solid unit.  Within that, we should have enough ability to play with some fair without being sieve-like in defence.