Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

1 minute ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

United will only look at the capitulation we had to finish 5th in the end. I think with him being ex Liverpool as well he would have to be at the level of Klopp to be considered tbh

I don't know how much Man United will care about what their fans think but could you imagine the stick to get for appointing a 'Liverpool reject'?

3 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I don't know how much Man United will care about what their fans think but could you imagine the stick to get for appointing a 'Liverpool reject'?

They will care, I mean I think a big reason why Ole lasted this long was because of the good PR spin he had for the majority of his reign. They'd get a lot of heat for Rodgers, who's effectively still judged as a gamble.

4 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I'm not sure many would care. Liverpool fans have Klopp so wouldn't give a toss and Man U fans will have someone immeasurably better than Solskjaer. 

I hope he stays but I can certainly see why United would consider Rodgers.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

They will care, I mean I think a big reason why Ole lasted this long was because of the good PR spin he had for the majority of his reign. They'd get a lot of heat for Rodgers, who's effectively still judged as a gamble.

If they are appointing managers on the back of what fans think they are in trouble.

redcafe seem to think Poch is a shoe in and wants the job, and most are desperate to avoid Rodgers going there. 

I'm fairly sure he won't end up at Man Utd. 

PLUS if he wants the Man City role (as has been touted around as well) then he is going to have a find a way to improve our fortunes this year (or next) 

Win Win really. (assuming both of the above things happen.)

46 minutes ago, FLINTHAMFC said:

I think the very fact he is still at the club tells you that statement is garbage. You think our owners would stick by a bottler? When have they ever done that?

...at this very moment it is important we retain our Premier League status, not essential (we have already allowed for that in the loan agreement), but important!!!

The Board are not going to offload a manager, because we failed to reach top four, even if to all intents and purposes, we were effectively a top four club. There are candidates who are the next step quality, and are currently employed but require a heavy investment should we succeed in convincing them to leave their current post..

If United were a rational club BR would not be even mentioned. His implosion at Liverpool and his failure to secure CL TWICE after being so well placed to do so with us is enough to raise serious doubts about his suitability. I know many people say finishing fifth was in itself an achievement for LCFC and out of all context it is. But being top four so long - he should really have brought home the bacon at least once - look through both seasons results - there are days against “lesser” opposition when we get beat or draw and play appallingly….that’s when we’ve thrown it away 

The other thing Is it’s united’s defence which primarily needs fixing and BR is the last man you’d call in to fix that .. 50 goals conceded finishing second at Liverpool…1.5 goals a game here…

But all that assumes United will make a cool calm rational decision when in fact their recruitment is like a drunk in an offy - I’ll have one of those and two of those…

And more from the Liverpool thread of wisdom ;-)

Rodgers is hitting the point of where Moyes was at - the point when the job crushes him and is bigger than he can bear. His choices become more bizarre every week and his ability to rescue the situation becomes less and less apparent. The depression over the team becomes deeper and deeper and harder to shift. He looks more and more like a dead man walking.

The only way to reverse this is to be courageous again like last season and bring the pace and accent on attack back because that is his strength. If it means we have to play youth players to do it and recall the likes of Ibe to do it, then that has to be done.

Has anyone read about his time at Reading?  Are there any parallels with how he's acting now compared with when it went wrong there?  I know he got stick for dropping his 'big-name' signing (who is now club captain) and for giving the vice captaincy to a young lad who didn't cope well with the pressure.  But are there similarities with him reverting to senior players, chopping and changing the back four, etc?

Somebody in another thread posted comments from the Reading chairman, and from Reading fans in the months after he was sacked. There were some parallels particularly spending a bit of dough on players that didn't look better than what was already there, and insistences from him that the team would come good / the playing style would get through to them and results would turn around.

What surprises me the most this season with Brendan, is that he seems stubborn to change things. It has been pointed out before, but last season he would change things after 20 minutes of a game, whereas this season it is the same thing time after time, even when it isn't working.

He looks like he is out of ideas, which is scary.

He sometimes sticks with a losing formula for too long. Gerrard as the holding midfielder, Lovren at CB, Lucas on the bench etc. We roll out different formations with a spine of under-performing players.

This. It's the stubborness.

I don`t understand why would Rodgers be looking at the lines in our team separately. We are supposed to be an unit every single moment on the pitch. The point of building up from the back is to advance as an unit up the pitch and organize ourselves so we can maintain our attacking shape and not leave gaps around when we lose the ball but win it back with ease as players are gonna be in their positions/zones.

If we are pressing high up the pitch defence should be integral part of that. Mata receiving the ball for their 3rd goals and having all the space and time of this world to turn around and run at us while Skrtel and co. are dozens of yards away to even think about getting on top of him and not letting him turn/containing their attack.

We have incredible problems against counter-attacks because our shape is all over the place. If the spaces between our back 4 and midfield are gigantic then working on the coordination of our back 4 is futile when they are not compact with the rest of the team.

The problem is that Rodgers has a way he wants us to play. We don't have the personnel to do it. He won't change the way he wants us to play, so we won't get results. The evidence is there in past reports from the internet. It's not a problem that will resolve itself and we're deluded if we think Rodgers will turn this around.

• Like 1

Our brief renaissance after the previous international break was because of a big win vs Man Utd but with every game under Solskjaer since its become less impressive on our part as they've been arguably worse than we have of late. The Spartak game away we were a disgrace in the 1st half and turned it on for 15 minutes 2nd half where Daka was devastating. Every performance since then has been an extension of human excrement.

We are in free fall, it's a long way back from here under this regime. We've been here enough times to know the ending, it's not if it's just when.

• Like 3

Utd. have a formidable squad but poor team cohesion. Varane's injury was a blow and arguably when he is fit he should displace Maguire in the team. This is why I think they will take their time over appointing a new manager. We may get a surprise when they decide who.

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Our brief renaissance after the previous international break was because of a big win vs Man Utd but with every game under Solskjaer since its become less impressive on our part as they've been arguably worse than we have of late. The Spartak game away we were a disgrace in the 1st half and turned it on for 15 minutes 2nd half where Daka was devastating. Every performance since then has been an extension of human excrement.

We are in free fall, it's a long way back from here under this regime. We've been here enough times to know the ending, it's not if it's just when.

Do you seriously think the owners will pay out the remainder of BRs contract and fire him?

3 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Do you seriously think the owners will pay out the remainder of BRs contract and fire him?

He would not be the first manager to effectively be put on Gardening leave and once he commences another job we would release him from his contract,alternatives also include just agreeing a pay off figure substantially less than paying out his full contract, there is no way he would get his contract paid up in full.

10 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Utd. have a formidable squad but poor team cohesion. Varane's injury was a blow and arguably when he is fit he should displace Maguire in the team. This is why I think they will take their time over appointing a new manager. We may get a surprise when they decide who.

They really don't though. You need a midfield if you going to achieve anything of note. 

There would be a strong chance of us slipping into relegation territory if we change regime now. If we did and lost the first two or three matches panic stations would set in. We won't get relegated with Rodgers I'm sure. As I keep saying the defensive problems are our paramount issue and need sorting quickly. We have a talented bunch of defenders but the organisation is poor.

1 hour ago, Fox85 said:

Stating the players ran out of gas is not a fact its a assumption lol .

It's quite clear where the problem is and it's the fact he doesn't really have a plan B.

BR is a 2 to 3 year manager achieves success in his first 2 years and then falls after that. This isn't a coincidence I think he gets bored of his surroundings after a while and the performances are mirroring that.

There's some facts for you lol 😆 

It can be a bit of both though, right? Our relatively small sqaud had a season where we played half of it with 2-3 games a week, we ran to the final in the FA cup, we had a string of injuries... it's not mad to suggest that we ran out of gas. The question is whether in Feb or March he should have closed shop and turned us into a Burnley to the end of the season. Whether that was even possible with this group of players. Saying we bottled it is such BS on so many levels but one is that he persevered with a system(s) he believed in. It might be misguided depending on your opinion but it's not bottling it. 

The irony of all this is if we were in the same position as the last couple of seasons (this week last season we were 3rd) there wouldn't be much debate that Rodgers would be top of ManU's list for new managers. And we'd all be fretting he could go. Thankfully he isn't. 

18 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Weird how we can see things so differently lol I absolutely loved that first half away to spartak. Our xG at half time was higher than it was in the Brentford, Leeds and Chelsea games. The arsenal game was very close but just edged it.

We could have had 4 or 5 goals and aside from a couple of defensive mishaps it looked out most attacking and dominant first half in as long as I could remember.

Compare it with the second game at home where we played at such a slow tempo and seemed to have no desire to get at them. Really weird.

3 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Paul Pogba and Bruno Fernandes are world class players surely somebody can get them working together.

That's great but you still need some steel in there to stop you from being wide open. They have Fred and McTominay who are bottom half standard players. I would also dispute Pogba being world class. He's world class on his day but world class on your day is not world class. In order to be genuinely world class you need to deliver consistently and he doesn't. 

1 hour ago, honeybradger said:

We just need a fresh face, best case scenario for me is Favre, same level as rodgers and arguably more proven, and he's not here currently stinking the place up, also he's free. Also i think we could easily get a 'worse' manager than Rodgers who would have us playing better football than we currently are.

Good reply. Favre is a fair shout and arguing for a fresh face is fine. Stale is the word I'd say about Rodgers at the moment but I could see that changing and I'm not going to be fatalistic. Each to their own.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Good reply. Favre is a fair shout and arguing for a fresh face is fine. Stale is the word I'd say about Rodgers at the moment but I could see that changing and I'm not going to be fatalistic. Each to their own.

Fair point, think stale is the perfect word, would prefer to know why we look so stale or else replacing the manager may not offer a solution beyond the new manager bounce.

11 minutes ago, Scotch said:

In Brendan Rodgers first interview as Leicester boss, he said this...

"The expectancy here is to be challenging for a European place and to win a trophy. That has to be the expectations".

So to hear him come out and say that we have "overachieved" in his time here is a stretch given that we have achieved exactly what he laid out as our goals under him as manager.

You can't say "this is what we want to achieve", do exactly that and then as soon as the pressure is on turn around and say "well I've delivered more than what was expected". 

I don't think we should be really reading much into what he says in post-match interviews TBH. 

They're often off the cuff remarks in a live interview situation that in retrospect, I think he'd regret coming out with - especially the "overachievers" comment.

He was not-so-subtly alluding to his achievements here after a game in which the supporters have properly got on the teams back for the first time and he was quit clearly smarting from it. He was probably annoyed at the supporters and the team's performance in equal measure and flustered, he had a dig. 

He knows the buck stops with him because we've been abject for far, far too long now. The interview on Saturday was the first signs of him feeling the pressure IMO. 

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scotch said:

In Brendan Rodgers first interview as Leicester boss, he said this...

"The expectancy here is to be challenging for a European place and to win a trophy. That has to be the expectations".

So to hear him come out and say that we have "overachieved" in his time here is a stretch given that we have achieved exactly what he laid out as our goals under him as manager.

You can't say "this is what we want to achieve", do exactly that and then as soon as the pressure is on turn around and say "well I've delivered more than what was expected". 

Yeah, his reaction post game Saturday was really poor. We have a squad which should be between 5th and 8th. He knows we've done well but not necessarily "over-acheived". Especially not if you consider Arsenal and Spurs have been all over the place these last two years.  I think he knows that. We've performed well below par for long periods this season. Stole a few points which has kept us a float. However, some of our performances, you couldnt argue if we were sat bottom 3. 

To try and play the "over-achieved" card when we haven't made the CL is low. It seems to be easiest thing to blame fans. I dont boo. When I am disappointed at half time, I tend sit quietly. However, after 0 shots and 0 corners AND the manner we have played this season, I am not having it that those fans who were so pissed off they just wanted to show it, should be any point of criticism after the debacle.  

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

No, not yet. As I've said before it will take this continued nose dive either precariously close to relegation for it to happen this season, or if we finish bottom half and then follow it up in a similar state next season then I could well see him being removed part way through the season.

We wouldn't have to pay his full contract up anyway, it's usually a years worth. There'll be a similar figure that we pay him off to sack him as there is for a club to buy him out of his contract and its probably a years wages (£9-10m)