Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

1 minute ago, RoboFox said:

I don't think we should be really reading much into what he says in post-match interviews TBH. 

They're often off the cuff remarks in a live interview situation that in retrospect, I think he'd regret coming out with - especially the "overachievers" comment.

He was not-so-subtly alluding to his achievements here after a game in which the supporters have properly got on the teams back for the first time and he was quit clearly smarting from it.

He knows the buck stops with him and he knows we've been pretty abject for far too long now. The interview on Saturday was the first signs of him feeling the pressure IMO. 

I disagree. I think, with his emotions high and the question coming from nothing, he probably is more likely to say what he actually thinks. 

Had he had time to rehearse the answer, he probably wouldn't have said it but that's because he's then saying what he thinks we want to hear, not how he actually feels. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

That's great but you still need some steel in there to stop you from being wide open. They have Fred and McTominay who are bottom half standard players. I would also dispute Pogba being world class. He's world class on his day but world class on your day is not world class. In order to be genuinely world class you need to deliver consistently and he doesn't. 

No Pogba certainly doesn't deliver every match but any new manager needs to impress upon him that his career will be over before he knows it. If he wants to be remembered as a great he had better start delivering. I quite rate Mctominey personally he is big a and powerful and works pretty hard. Not a great footballer but a team needs his sort.

• Like 1

He’s all about himself. He’s always been about himself. His comments on Saturday after the game were to try and protect his reputation and deflect issues elsewhere. Anyone with a brain can see that our squad is good enough to compete, he keeps coming out with the same old shite about not having strength in depth. I’m sorry but that doesn’t wash with me anymore. We have international players at multiple positions and outside of the “Top 6” we’ve got a better squad than anybody. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, GingerrrFox said:

He’s all about himself. He’s always been about himself. His comments on Saturday after the game were to try and protect his reputation and deflect issues elsewhere. Anyone with a brain can see that our squad is good enough to compete, he keeps coming out with the same old shite about not having strength in depth. I’m sorry but that doesn’t wash with me anymore. We have international players at multiple positions and outside of the “Top 6” we’ve got a better squad than anybody. 

What? You mean Rodgers isn't a massive Leicester City fan!  He's just managing us to further his career! Hell no, not on my watch.

Judge a person on what that person does and not what they say. People say all kinds of crap.

5 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

No Pogba certainly doesn't deliver every match but any new manager needs to impress upon him that his career will be over before he knows it. If he wants to be remembered as a great he had better start delivering. I quite rate Mctominey personally he is big a and powerful and works pretty hard. Not a great footballer but a team needs his sort.

As I've said in a previous post, McTominay is good enough to be a squad player for them, but shouldn't be playing as regularly as he does. Man United in the past have had hardworking midfielders like him that aren't really anything but serve a purpose. The likes of Darren Fletcher and Nicky Butt spring to mind. 

2 minutes ago, FLINTHAMFC said:

What? You mean Rodgers isn't a massive Leicester City fan!  He's just managing us to further his career! Hell no, not on my watch.

Judge a person on what that person does and not what they say. People say all kinds of crap.

Well people are judging on the fact that the teams he put out keep making the same mistakes and a pattern of performance is emerging. He doesn’t like that so comes out and spouts some complete and utter bullshit to try and save his own skin. Comes in to the job and says the owners wants European football consistently and then turns round and says we’ve over achieved for the past 2 seasons and actually this is our level and people need to accept it. He’ll be gone by the end of January at this rate and not to United either. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

I don't think we should be really reading much into what he says in post-match interviews TBH. 

They're often off the cuff remarks in a live interview situation that in retrospect, I think he'd regret coming out with - especially the "overachievers" comment.

He was not-so-subtly alluding to his achievements here after a game in which the supporters have properly got on the teams back for the first time and he was quit clearly smarting from it. He was probably annoyed at the supporters and the team's performance in equal measure and flustered, he had a dig. 

He knows the buck stops with him because we've been abject for far, far too long now. The interview on Saturday was the first signs of him feeling the pressure IMO. 

Sorry, but that is no excuse whatsoever. He essentially exonerated himself in public whilst blaming the players and supporters.  Poor judgement at best but probably reflects the way he actually sees the present situation, i.e. not his fault. 

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd
  • Like 3

I think he will stay until at least the end of the season as he has enough credit from the last 2 years and it would cost a lot to fire him. The rest of it is purely speculation which a lot of the time is total rubbish. 

What i would like moving forward, even if the results aren't great, is to try and find a defined style again. We have stopped pressing, our passing is laboured, we dont create many chances, we don't use width, our passing is too safe which allows the opposition to reset, nobody wants to beat a man anymore, including barnes. Its just not fun to watch. I honestly don't mind losing to a better team like Saturday, but to not even bother attacking with any pace or vigour is just meaning we lose without really having a go.

What I would like in rodgers pre match conferences, is him answering questions about our non existent attack and our crap defence and what they are doing to fix it, not about whether he has read a newspaper report in the sun about him being 4th choice for the man u job. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I think it runs deeper than that. We coped absolutely fine with injuries last season. That's not to say we don't miss our best players but we all thought our issues were because Evans was out and then he's returned and it's not made much difference, likewise Ndidi was out and yet the difference wasn't that noticeable.

We aren't operating anywhere near what we are capable of and that's got precious little to do with Fofana and Justin. There's a huge slump gone on and I don't know what is needed to snap us out of it but 2 players returning from ligament injuries isn't going to be it I wouldn't have thought. 

Yes as you say it hasn't been THE root problem, missing JJ and Fofana to date all season long really but it certainly hasn't helped! Given our intermittent injuries elsewhere with first teamers in the likes of Jonny Evans and Ndidi too then I think we've coped pretty well for some times of this season too and our recent win against the Mancs shows how the team can play well when they want to and if set up in the right way - although the opposition did play into our hands that day and they're hardly on the crest of a wave at the moment! With the last league game we won away at Brentford then I think that was a rather fortuitous one. The nature of some of our defeats against the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea were concerning though while our Europa League campaign has been quietly still spluttering along. All in all it's gradually starting to make for a worrying time now and regardless of any alleged headhunters like Man. Utd, etc turning his head or not, then Rodgers' position must surely be coming under review now, if it hasn't started to be already I'd say.  

Edited by Guy

I haven’t read anything on here that makes me think any suggestion will be an improvement on Brendan…..we were walloped at the weekend by the European Champions…were we really surprised? In case we hadn’t picked up on it they did strengthen their squad during the summer, and whilst we did too, they certainly had no need to play Albrighton, out of position, out of fitness and form, and no Youri, Ricky,Madders….ffs Chelsea are better than PSG Man City, Real, Bayern! Juve get real you all shit happens, get behind the team they need us cheering not booing, and leaving early…..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, teblin said:

There have been issue and flaws in some of brendans decisions recently, however all I say is be careful what you wish for.

That statement will become more and more insignificant if we get dragged into a relegation battle, which doesn't seem so far fetched now. Lose on Sunday and we could find ourselves only three points above the bottom three after 13 games with a very difficult Christmas period coming up. 

6 minutes ago, Reg Vardy said:

I haven’t read anything on here that makes me think any suggestion will be an improvement on Brendan…..we were walloped at the weekend by the European Champions…were we really surprised? In case we hadn’t picked up on it they did strengthen their squad during the summer, and whilst we did too, they certainly had no need to play Albrighton, out of position, out of fitness and form, and no Youri, Ricky,Madders….ffs Chelsea are better than PSG Man City, Real, Bayern! Juve get real you all shit happens, get behind the team they need us cheering not booing, and leaving early…..

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.... so we're just Little Old Leicester and we should know our place in being schooled by the European Champions... who we beat in the FA cup a bit beforehand?  That's our role in football? We just turn up to act as cannon fodder for the big boys? You are Brendan and I claim my £5. :D

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

Well people are judging on the fact that the teams he put out keep making the same mistakes and a pattern of performance is emerging. He doesn’t like that so comes out and spouts some complete and utter bullshit to try and save his own skin. Comes in to the job and says the owners wants European football consistently and then turns round and says we’ve over achieved for the past 2 seasons and actually this is our level and people need to accept it. He’ll be gone by the end of January at this rate and not to United either. 

He didn't say "this was our level" did he? When people start projecting their own stuff onto Rodgers they sound less rational. It's not inconsistent to say we've over-achieved while having two years achieving his initial mission-statement. We have no idea what their timeline was when he took the job. How do you know that competing to European places wasn't something they hoped to achieve a few years down the line once the team was finally realized? 

There's definite problems with the team. I wonder if we need more consistency in team choice. It's hard because of our injury issues but having one team that's playing week-in-week-out might be better. Barnes in-out, Mads only coming off the bench, Daka in-out, Nacho off the bench, Albrighton doesn't play for weeks gets thrown in against one of the best teams at the moment with one of the best right-backs (love you Albrighton!), he mid-field swapping formations from game to game... BR is definitely to blame for much of this and is the one to fix it but the speed a lot of Leicester fans have turned on him is kind of shocking to me. Two seasons finishing 5th and playing some great football to sit in the top 4, won a FA cup... the first rough patch people want him out?!?!? We're that kind of club now are we? Even ManU and Arsenal fans have given Ole and Arteta more time and space. How sad is that?! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hoopla10 said:

He didn't say "this was our level" did he? When people start projecting their own stuff onto Rodgers they sound less rational. It's not inconsistent to say we've over-achieved while having two years achieving his initial mission-statement. We have no idea what their timeline was when he took the job. How do you know that competing to European places wasn't something they hoped to achieve a few years down the line once the team was finally realized? 

There's definite problems with the team. I wonder if we need more consistency in team choice. It's hard because of our injury issues but having one team that's playing week-in-week-out might be better. Barnes in-out, Mads only coming off the bench, Daka in-out, Nacho off the bench, Albrighton doesn't play for weeks gets thrown in against one of the best teams at the moment with one of the best right-backs (love you Albrighton!), he mid-field swapping formations from game to game... BR is definitely to blame for much of this and is the one to fix it but the speed a lot of Leicester fans have turned on him is kind of shocking to me. Two seasons finishing 5th and playing some great football to sit in the top 4, won a FA cup... the first rough patch people want him out?!?!? We're that kind of club now are we? Even ManU and Arsenal fans have given Ole and Arteta more time and space. How sad is that?! 

No they haven't.

55 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Good reply. Favre is a fair shout and arguing for a fresh face is fine. Stale is the word I'd say about Rodgers at the moment but I could see that changing and I'm not going to be fatalistic. Each to their own.

Not sure 64 and fresh face good together :ph34r: 

2 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

No they haven't.

In my experience Arsenal fans have given Arteta time while much of it was spent in the same part of the league we're currently in. ManU fan have been on a wild ride with Ole where they've bounced from mid-table to 2nd and back again. Realy only in the last few weeks have they stopped their loyalty to him. 

3 minutes ago, Hoopla10 said:

In my experience Arsenal fans have given Arteta time while much of it was spent in the same part of the league we're currently in. ManU fan have been on a wild ride with Ole where they've bounced from mid-table to 2nd and back again. Realy only in the last few weeks have they stopped their loyalty to him. 

Arsenal have left the pitch to jeers under Arteta many times, as early as the start of last season.....

Ole has been criticized my the Media and pundits for over 12 months too, remember, according to the Media at the time, the PSG game saved his job, how long ago was that?

Rodgers is showing signs of decline with us....This isn't just a 'Blip' of a few weeks.

What has happened to Maddison for 12 months?

Soyuncu?

Ricardo?

Even Ndidi?

No game time for our top scorer last season.....

No game time for one of the top prospect strikers in European Football.....

Our England U21 international, he was arguably MOTM in the Cup final last season, barely gets minutes.....

Signing a holding player in Soumare, and playing him further forward...Why? You wouldn't play Ndidi further forward...Although actually, bizarrely, Rodgers has done over the last 12 months.

Now the excuse is injuries.....

When the replacements for those 2 players are Castagne + Soyuncu, two international players, with the latter being in the Premier League Team of the Season in his first season in the League.

Uninspiring signings like Vestergaard and Bertrand....

Couldn't we have bought a lower league full back, for £5-10 million, on lower wages, rather than give Bertrand a big contract? Like we did with Justin?

Couldn't we have bought a CB from abroad, for £15-20 million, on lower wages, rather than waste it on Vestergaard? Like we did with Soyuncu?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, tickler28 said:

OK my take on the Rodgers in bullet points:

- Good appointment and has done really well during his time here bringing on the likes of Barnes, Soyuncu, Ricardo etc

- Will always have a place in Leicester City folklore (much like Pearson and Ranieri) for achieving something - FA Cup.

- Raised the bar of expectations 

- Helped us become the envy of a lot of clubs similar in stature to us

Now the not so good points:

- Never has a plan B if plan A isnt working its tough....match lost

- Still we find ourselves after 3 years of his tenure talking about the same things - inability to break teams down...slow ponderous build up play...ineffective use of wingers....plays 2 defensive midfielders which never works and now has us defending corners like an under 11 side.

Now if I were to see a gradual improvement....tweaks made etc to improve us as a team I'd accept that sometimes you get it wrong as a manager but Brendan has possibly the most arrogant edge as a manager I've ever seen and refuses to see the glaringly obvious and change it. Its his way....its 1 way or its the highway and sadly thats making us suck ponies at the minute.

He won't change his ways because its going wrong....similar to Puel and Pearson he will live and die by his methods so its up to us to decide....do we put up with it? Or do we change course?

We will change course... but I dont know when.

18 hours ago, Reg Vardy said:

Were they booing the team or the manager? Either way the fans have been paying to watch utter tripe for months now, Saturdays Chelsea display just bought it to a head I'd suggest. Did many of us feel that entitled we expected a win? I absolutely doubt it.

Chelsea were a very good team with very good players and a very good manager. Nobody I know 'expected' to win at all, so it wasn't the loss that caused such a reaction for me. 

What brought matters to a head I suggest was not that we lost against such a good team, it was the manner of the loss. The fact that deluded Brendan, complete with elite manager ego, yet again picks a side of players that most people would have looked at before the game even started and said to themselves, 'what on earth is this joker really trying to do, can he really be that stupid'?

When, not for the first time, several thousand people see that and then the game starts to unfold in exactly the same way it could be reasonably predicted to do, those several thousand people start to get hot under the collar. It's not as if there weren't many viable alternatives! No wonder people walked out, they're fed up with the same old same old. Rodgers, who quite frankly needs an almighty kick up the arse and pulling of his self built pedestal then goes on to say we've been over-achieving! What an insipid little coward. It's always somebody else's fault. 

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 4