Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

10 minutes ago, FoxyLeon said:

Arsenal have left the pitch to jeers under Arteta many times, as early as the start of last season.....

Ole has been criticized my the Media and pundits for over 12 months too, remember, according to the Media at the time, the PSG game saved his job, how long ago was that?

We aren't Man Utd or Arsenal so the media does not really give a toss. May change once someone is rammed into the Man Utd job

Rodgers is showing signs of decline with us....This isn't just a 'Blip' of a few weeks.

Something is amiss, he needs to be given a mfair shot at fixing it though

What has happened to Maddison for 12 months?

No idea, off field stuff with new baby?

Soyuncu?

He has been a bit dodgy for national as well

Ricardo?

Judging by his latest reoccurring injury, guessing he isn't in the best place physically

Even Ndidi?

Not been in the best form, I agree

No game time for our top scorer last season.....

He has played a little, but the move away from 2 up top is odd I agree

No game time for one of the top prospect strikers in European Football.....

He plays exclusively in Europe (Where he is top scorer :) )

Our England U21 international, he was arguably MOTM in the Cup final last season, barely gets minutes.....

Luke? He is young and understandbly inconsistent

Signing a holding player in Soumare, and playing him further forward...Why? You wouldn't play Ndidi further forward...Although actually, bizarrely, Rodgers has done over the last 12 months.

He is not a holding midfielder, strange point

Now the excuse is injuries.....

Its not the only reason but I think it has certainly been a justifiable element to our current decline/malaise

When the replacements for those 2 players are Castagne + Soyuncu, two international players, with the latter being in the Premier League Team of the Season in his first season in the League.

We do not know what we could attract do we?

Uninspiring signings like Vestergaard and Bertrand....

Bertran was free so could see why, and Vestergaard I see the reason, experience and emergency due to Jonny's unknown time out, but yes, both in hindsight look a bit cack

Couldn't we have bought a lower league full back, for £5-10 million, on lower wages, rather than give Bertrand a big contract? Like we did with Justin?

Yes probably, but experience seem to be the focus

Couldn't we have bought a CB from abroad, for £15-20 million, on lower wages, rather than waste it on Vestergaard? Like we did with Soyuncu?

Same as above

Bored of work today, so will try and make a stab at some answers to your many points, unless you just wanted to vent in which I won`t respond beyond this post

4 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Were they booing the team or the manager? Either way the fans have been paying to watch utter tripe for months now, Saturdays Chelsea display just bought it to a head I'd suggest. Did many of us feel that entitled we expected a win? I absolutely doubt it.

Chelsea were a very good team with very good players and a very good manager. Nobody I know 'expected' to win at all, so it wasn't that that caused such a reaction. 

What brought matters to a head I suggest was not that we lost against such a team, it was the manner of the loss. The fact that deluded Brendan, complete with elite manager ego, yet again picks a side of players that most people would have looked at before the game even started and said to themselves, 'what on earth is this joker really trying to do, can he really be that stupid'?

When, not for the first time, several thousand people see that and then the game starts to unfold in exactly the same way it could be reasonably predicted to do, those several thousand people start to get hot under the collar. It's not as if there weren't many viable alternatives! No wonder people walked out, they're fed up with the same old same old. Rodgers, who quite frankly needs an almighty kick up the arse and pulling of his self built pedestal then goes on to say we've been over-achieving! What an insipid little coward. It's always somebody else's fault. 

And I guess you would say that to his face would you big man?

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, kingfox said:

AKCJ, Finners & Strider have hit the nail on the head.

I mentioned this word to a poster on here yesterday, motivation.

Brendan Rodgers never comes across as a good motivator, the best managers in the World are tremendous motivators, they may come across as annoying pricks on the touchline, but they get their teams running and working incredibly hard. Just look at Conte yesterday, Spurs were crap for large parts, but in the end his motivation and somewhat anger pulled them through. Certain other teams in the league will run their socks off for their managers, West Ham under Moyes, Brentford under Frank, Gerrard in his first game with Villa gave off the passion that their fans wanted to see.

Where’s that with Rodgers? That lack of fire and motivation then transpires on the pitch, the players have lacked passion and effort for the majority of the season, teams we should be beating have bullied us numerous times. 

Clapping in the 90th minute at 3-0 down won’t achieve nothing.

I looked over and saw him do that - actually made me laugh.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, FoxyLeon said:

What has happened to Maddison for 12 months?

Soyuncu?

Ricardo?

Even Ndidi?

An easy question, cheers.

- Injured (he actually played well before that and is showing some of his old form when he gets a chance to play)

- Clearly needs a more established/experience defender beside him which is a problem when Evans is out (which he has been). You say he's an international, but he's not a very good one if you've seen him play for Turkey.

People just ignoring how our defense has been rocked or how that will obviously effect the rest of the team (and rightly/wrongly Rodgers) are just denying reality imo. At least Liverpool fans kept calling it out last season when the pundits were all blaming Klopp and asking why Liverpool weren't performing like they had been. Doesn't say much about our fans huh.

- Injured.

- Injured. 

You can point to the clubs signing of Vestergaard and Bertrand, that's valid imo. I don't know how much that is on Rodgers.

When he plays two up front he plays Nacho , when he plays one he chooses Vardy. And while I think playing the two (Nacho/Vardy) is the better choice that's not where our problems lie.  He played them against Arsenal, we lost 2-0 because our defense is a horrorshow at the moment. We have the joint highest goals scored against us (a scary 21). 

37 minutes ago, FoxyLeon said:

Rodgers is showing signs of decline with us...

We're definitely in a rough patch. I don't think many would disagree. BUT you're the one framing it as "decline". There's an implication there that says this is not retreivable. I'm curious what's the make of your crystal ball? You being able to see into the future and all. 

1 hour ago, Reg Vardy said:

I haven’t read anything on here that makes me think any suggestion will be an improvement on Brendan…..we were walloped at the weekend by the European Champions…were we really surprised? In case we hadn’t picked up on it they did strengthen their squad during the summer, and whilst we did too, they certainly had no need to play Albrighton, out of position, out of fitness and form, and no Youri, Ricky,Madders….ffs Chelsea are better than PSG Man City, Real, Bayern! Juve get real you all shit happens, get behind the team they need us cheering not booing, and leaving early…..

I don’t agree with the idea of booing the players and certainly Chelsea are a quality outfit with Kante showing his absolute class throughout the game, but there was little to cheer about at the weekend .

I was concerned beforehand when the team was announced that our ball retention & general creativity would be awful with Ndidi & Soumare being the outlets for our defenders and so it proved. With Tielemans out, surely Brendan should have played Maddison from the outset (assuming he was thought to be fit for 90 mins) & I was hoping Iheanacho would also get selected as these are both players that you can pass to in the hope of the ball being retained. I felt that Ndidi & Soumare were hiding from the ball first half and as is often the case, when we are pressed hard, we struggle. Ndidi is great at what he does (when fully fit) but he needs pairing with a ball player.

Chelsea were fantastic on the day and Tuchel really has them working hard for each other. What I found frustrating was the way that we paid them far too much respect and in doing so, we were always going to lose out technically - the first 15-20 mins was like a training game. In my mind, we had to risk losing (maybe heavily - which we did anyway) in order to win the game but we failed to put even a challenge in & that’s what annoys supporters. We went down without really laying a glove on them.

I am undecided on Rodgers. Certainly all is not well where team spirit is concerned and we’ve been awful this season & in my view, fortunate to be where we are in the table as it stands - fortunate wins against Wolves, Brentford & Norwich helping our cause massively. Something needs to change - the zonal marking from corners continues to cause issues (although Schmeichel, for all his shot-stopping reflexes, is the root cause of our corner problems as he never commands anything at all); the lack of creativity from our own corners & other set pieces, which if worked upon would surely result in 10+ goals during the season; the general lack of ‘togetherness’ apparent in the play and the inability for players to simply track runners rather than just holding a space. It’s basic stuff and Rodgers and the players show no signs of being able to progress on these fronts at the moment.

Sadly I fear that the long awaited returns of JJ and Fofana, although a positive, will not resolve our current problems. We ought to be too good to get involved in a relegation battle but in our current form (forget the table position for now), we could easily get dragged in to a fight for points.

It feels like we are at the crossroads at the moment and it could go either way in the next season or two.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingfox said:

AKCJ, Finners & Strider have hit the nail on the head.

I mentioned this word to a poster on here yesterday, motivation.

Brendan Rodgers never comes across as a good motivator, the best managers in the World are tremendous motivators, they may come across as annoying pricks on the touchline, but they get their teams running and working incredibly hard. Just look at Conte yesterday, Spurs were crap for large parts, but in the end his motivation and somewhat anger pulled them through. Certain other teams in the league will run their socks off for their managers, West Ham under Moyes, Brentford under Frank, Gerrard in his first game with Villa gave off the passion that their fans wanted to see.

Where’s that with Rodgers? That lack of fire and motivation then transpires on the pitch, the players have lacked passion and effort for the majority of the season, teams we should be beating have bullied us numerous times. 

Clapping in the 90th minute at 3-0 down won’t achieve nothing.

You only have to go back to O'Neill. He wasn't much of a Coach but he kicked every ball with the players during a game.

If the Manager doesn't show some passion and looks as  If it doesn't mean anything to him then the players will say why should we bother.

• Like 1

Agree totally with the shouts about him being robotic. He's doesn't need to be a madman on the touchline but if you are a player looking over and seeing the coach just routinely applaud you, not really challenging you to do anything different then why run through brick walls and burst to get back into the game?

It's all very methodical- fine when you've got things your own way, not great when you haven't. 

4 hours ago, Scotch said:

In Brendan Rodgers first interview as Leicester boss, he said this...

"The expectancy here is to be challenging for a European place and to win a trophy. That has to be the expectations".

So to hear him come out and say that we have "overachieved" in his time here is a stretch given that we have achieved exactly what he laid out as our goals under him as manager.

You can't say "this is what we want to achieve", do exactly that and then as soon as the pressure is on turn around and say "well I've delivered more than what was expected". 

He was quite happy to accept the new bumper contract nine months in too. That wasn't given as a gift, it came with expectations. The best managers demand this from their players, that they go above and beyond.

The bloke is too polished for it to be an emotional outburst. Genuinely, if he doesn't like the pressure he can walk away.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RoboFox said:

I don't think we should be really reading much into what he says in post-match interviews TBH. 

They're often off the cuff remarks in a live interview situation that in retrospect, I think he'd regret coming out with - especially the "overachievers" comment.

He was not-so-subtly alluding to his achievements here after a game in which the supporters have properly got on the teams back for the first time and he was quit clearly smarting from it. He was probably annoyed at the supporters and the team's performance in equal measure and flustered, he had a dig. 

He knows the buck stops with him because we've been abject for far, far too long now. The interview on Saturday was the first signs of him feeling the pressure IMO. 

The only reason he’d regret the, ‘over achievers’ comment is the backlash he’s getting from it.

Had we all gone, ‘Oh gosh, he’s right! We ARE over achieving’ he’d be sat there feeling smug about it

2 hours ago, Hoopla10 said:

An easy question, cheers.

- Injured (he actually played well before that and is showing some of his old form when he gets a chance to play)

- Clearly needs a more established/experience defender beside him which is a problem when Evans is out (which he has been). You say he's an international, but he's not a very good one if you've seen him play for Turkey.

People just ignoring how our defense has been rocked or how that will obviously effect the rest of the team (and rightly/wrongly Rodgers) are just denying reality imo. At least Liverpool fans kept calling it out last season when the pundits were all blaming Klopp and asking why Liverpool weren't performing like they had been. Doesn't say much about our fans huh.

- Injured.

- Injured. 

You can point to the clubs signing of Vestergaard and Bertrand, that's valid imo. I don't know how much that is on Rodgers.

When he plays two up front he plays Nacho , when he plays one he chooses Vardy. And while I think playing the two (Nacho/Vardy) is the better choice that's not where our problems lie.  He played them against Arsenal, we lost 2-0 because our defense is a horrorshow at the moment. We have the joint highest goals scored against us (a scary 21). 

We're definitely in a rough patch. I don't think many would disagree. BUT you're the one framing it as "decline". There's an implication there that says this is not retreivable. I'm curious what's the make of your crystal ball? You being able to see into the future and all. 

And recurring injuries aren’t on Rodgers’ shoulders no?

They are to me.

Just like how Pearson and Ranieri got credit for keeping squads injury free

• Like 3

Funny people only talk about what a manager is doing on the sidelines when thing aren't going well. 

I assume Moyes not screaming and shouting enough was the reason he got sacked at Man U and Sociedad, maybe Tuchel having a sore throat was the reason he was sacked by PSG

Neil Warnock would be multi PL and CL winner if being aggressive and shouting was the key to success. 

2 hours ago, FLINTHAMFC said:

And I guess you would say that to his face would you big man?

It really wouldn't bother me at all, why would it? If you were at work and problems occur because of your bosses decisions but he blames you, do you just sit there and just suck it up like a big tart without representation? Likewise, if someone says something unjustly inflammatory about a family member, do you just sit there quiet as a mouse wetting your pants for fear of upsetting someone?

If I was Vardy, Schmeichel and quite a number of the other senior pros I wouldn't be too happy  about Rodgers remarks at all the little ****. To infer that all the problems are the players fault and that they were punching above their weight when doing something well is a bit of a kick in the teeth don't you think?

The reality is, outside of the top 4 perhaps, many of our squad are very talented individuals and the reason they didn't get into the Champions League for the past two seasons is largely down to Rodgers mismanagement of them. Even if we were very generous and sited the injury situation, surely we can't put the rest on our players shoulders whilst Rodgers walks off blame free! 

10 minutes ago, Corky said:

He was quite happy to accept the new bumper contract nine months in too. That wasn't given as a gift, it came with expectations. The best managers demand this from their players, that they go above and beyond.

The bloke is too polished for it to be an emotional outburst. Genuinely, if he doesn't like the pressure he can walk away.

Exactly this and the thing is that by the time he sat down to negotiate that new bumper contract and (I imagine any) discuss targets going forward, he had already done the hard bit which was achieve the goals he initially set out to do like regularly compete for Europe and win a trophy. 

The targets set after that point I imagine wouldn't have been any more than maintain what you are doing and where we are it and this is where we've started to slide. 

It's strange in how we have regressed in that many of the same elements that had us successful under him are still there, he just seems to have forgotten that. 

At our height under Rodgers, Maddison played as a second number 8 almost with Ndidi solely as a destroyer behind him and Youri. Over time he seemed to try and push Maddison into the 10 role with Ndidi being more of an all round CM and when that failed to work, instead of reverting back to the tried and tested, he started messing with the formation altogether, going to a back 5 etc which seemed to coincide with players losing form and confidence. 

Ofcourse a massive part in our fall has to be accredited to injuries and players being out of form. The first of those can't be helped but the second is supposed to be somewhat of a special skill of Rodgers to get the best out of individuals, something else he seems to have forgotten how to do. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

It really wouldn't bother me at all, why would it? If you were at work and problems occur because of your bosses decisions but he blames you, do you just sit there and just suck it up like a big tart without representation? Likewise, if someone says something unjustly inflammatory about a family member, do you just sit there quiet as a mouse wetting your pants for fear of upsetting someone?

If I was Vardy, Schmeichel and quite a number of the other senior pros I wouldn't be too happy  about Rodgers remarks at all the little ****. To infer that all the problems are the players fault and that they were punching above their weight when doing something well is a bit of a kick in the teeth don't you think?

The reality is, outside of the top 4 perhaps, many of our squad are very talented individuals and the reason they didn't get into the Champions League for the past two seasons is largely down to Rodgers mismanagement of them. Even if we were very generous and sited the injury situation, surely we can't put the rest on our players shoulders whilst Rodgers walks off blame free! 

And a lot of horrendous individual errors.

I can think of two big ones from Kasper, hitting it against Ndidi ass at Bournemouth and punching it into his owe net against Spurs 

They are as much to blame as the manager when it goes wrong as to be praised when it goes right.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kingfox said:

While I’m not a great fan of passion on the touch line - think Ian Holloway -  this is a fair point. BR is a technical manager, obsessed with formations, style, tactical fluidity. He sees victories as successful execution of the game plan, defeats as unsuccessful execution. It results in a colourless, stylistic type of football - a kind of overthought football In which player instinct plays little part. You can see players thinking what Brendan wants them to do in a given situation rather than it coming naturally. 

I imagine this is because he wants to be seen as a great thinker in the game - on a par with Pep, Klopp etc - at least in part because he’d like to succeed them. 

The trouble is that means dropping points because unlike Klopp and Pep he doesn’t have the very best players at his disposal and to play their kind of style you really do need the creme de la creme. It’s high risk football because you’re committing players high up the pitch which puts extraordinary pressure on those left behind. They have to be strong, fit, fast, have perfect timing and anticipation. 

Meanwhile other teams are much more pragmatic and find ways to win games which don’t involve a tactical masterclass…

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

And recurring injuries aren’t on Rodgers’ shoulders no?

They are to me.

Just like how Pearson and Ranieri got credit for keeping squads injury free

Exactly this. I don't recall injuries on this scale happening pre-Rodgers. It makes me question what he's doing behind the scenes. Why was Rennie fired despite being a clearly fantastic head physio? We'll probably never know. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 4everfox said:

Exactly this. I don't recall injuries on this scale happening pre-Rodgers. It makes me question what he's doing behind the scenes. Why was Rennie fired despite being a clearly fantastic head physio? We'll probably never know. 

The ‘cramped schedule’ excuse wasn’t washing with me last season. And it definitely can’t wash with anyone now.

Rennie’s departure is too much of a coincidence to have no relevance at all with all these injuries. 

Edited by The Year Of The Fox
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Wow that's interesting, what was Brendan's coaching/analysis team doing then?

they may well had advised against it, Brendan is a genius remember, if you don't believe me just ask him...

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

The ‘cramped schedule’ excuse wasn’t washing with me last season. And it definitely can’t wash with anyone now.

Rennie’s departure is too much of a coincidence to have no relevance at all with all these injuries. 

Yes because he's magic and can stop impact injuries like broken legs and ACLs