Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

I have wondered whether in the summer we should have spent big on a marque signing. A statement. Obviously we're not a club with the resources to spend 80+MIL on a player so it was never going to happen. But I wonder whether it would have shifted the attitude among the existing players. Lots of talk about competing in the top 4 for two seasons. Winning the FA cup. But even though we have a world-class training ground as a team we're still the same. Maddison, Tilly, Pereira (players who want to be in BIG teams with BIG players) looking around themselves see we as a team haven't strived for that next level. We get two not very good defenders and a future "prospect". Rodgers says the morale among the players is good but I wonder how highly competitive players actually percieve these things and how it effects them. We talk about the Leicester "project" but for them what is that project?  

Just looked at Brendan Rodgers points total from our last 25 PL games vs Claude Puel's when he got the sack and its something like 33 from 25 games under Rodgers and 29 from 25 games under Puel, but we lost 5 of our last 6 games before he got the boot so it just goes to show how worrying this continued slump is. 

21 goals conceded! Only Norwich & Newcastle have conceded more lol 

The "who can we get that's better" line wears thin when much worse managers are getting better results with worse teams. Vieira has been a shit manager throughout most of his career and he's got a decent but not amazing Palace side playing well. 

Moyes isn't a better manager than Rodgers yet he's got worse players competing with the top 4.

Hassenhuttl is overrated in my opinion, however Southampton are a point behind us with a considerably worse squad.

Rodgers has never lasted at a club for more than 3 years and you can see why.

11 minutes ago, Stadt said:

21 goals conceded! Only Norwich & Newcastle have conceded more lol 

The "who can we get that's better" line wears thin when much worse managers are getting better results with worse teams. Vieira has been a shit manager throughout most of his career and he's got a decent but not amazing Palace side playing well. 

Moyes isn't a better manager than Rodgers yet he's got worse players competing with the top 4.

Hassenhuttl is overrated in my opinion, however Southampton are a point behind us with a considerably worse squad.

Rodgers has never lasted at a club for more than 3 years and you can see why.

Disagree with West Ham having worse players, I’d take most of their players in a heart beat! 

Rodgers recent comments show he is feeling the heat…. I question any competitive sports person who deems themselves as “punching above their weight”… it’s such a shoddy attitude to have. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dames said:

Bit unfair to lump Thomas and KDH who are still developing in there as well as Lookman and Daka who are new signings and have shown quality when given chances, albeit not consistently.

I was answering to the deluded claim that our squad is very very good...wasn't singling anybody out not saying that they are bad just not enough in my opinion  to make us very very good

19 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Disagree with West Ham having worse players, I’d take most of their players in a heart beat! 

Rodgers recent comments show he is feeling the heat…. I question any competitive sports person who deems themselves as “punching above their weight”… it’s such a shoddy attitude to have. 

West Ham's players are good but there's not many I'd say are actually better than our first choice XI besides Bowen over whichever RW plays.

Bang on about Rodgers in your second paragraph. It's what Puel came out with as well, it's mealy-mouthed bullshit 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rusko187 said:

We wouldn’t sack him whilst there’s a vacant Man United job.

I’m so torn on the guy, it’s his attitude and commitment that I don’t like. Can we get a better manager? I don’t think so… anyone else would be a gamble.

I'm many respects the 'best' manager is the one who is most suited to the situation that you are in. Football management is very much horses for courses. For instance, if Guardiola and Sean Dyche swapped, the chances are they would both fail.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

Quite agree and I don`t think I would ever or have ever warmed to Rodgers, but I suspect that is down to small mindedness and an inability to see past historic Brentisms, on my part  :dunno:

But I fully recognise what he has done thus far and sincerely hope he is up to what is probably his toughest challenege here so far

Yes, you could possibly argue perhaps the most toughest challenge of his career? I say that because if he fails miserably here, with the squad we've got, despite the immaterial pandering of the media, the real people that count, chairman and financiers, are going to be very wary of trusting him with a big job. The media may well conveniently just see 'little old Leicester', commensurate with their narrative but, the people that count, may just see an unwillingness or inability to change or have a plan B and echo's of Liverpool past, a realisation that there hasn't been a metamorphosis or ability to learn lessons. Such people won't bat an eyelid or be suitably impressed with his Scottish sojourn, they will merely see an initial burst of some success with an already talented squad, a double end of season petering out, followed by an inability to sustain let alone build upon that initial success.

Would the lifty owners of Manchester City, United, Liverpool or Chelsea for example  be willing to bank role and trust such an individual when compared to Pep, Klopp, Tuchel or managers of their ilk? 

To turn it round now by whatever means could arguably even eclipse the two 5th place finishes. For me it would demonstrate incredible managerial skills and I really hope he can do it because we'd all benefit greatly. A win on Thursday would be a great start and buy back a bit of player confidence. However, I really do think he needs to show more fight and guts by setting up from the start to try and win games rather than not lose them. The slow defensive start tactics are now so transparent they're ridiculous and everyone sees through them.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Stadt said:

West Ham's players are good but there's not many I'd say are actually better than our first choice XI besides Bowen over whichever RW plays.

Bang on about Rodgers in your second paragraph. It's what Puel came out with as well, it's mealy-mouthed bullshit 

Sorry I'm gonna have to disagree I'm afraid....West Ham have several players that would walk into our team....Coufal,  Soucek, Fornals, Benrahma,  Rice and Zouma would all be picked in my Leicester XI if they were in our squad tomorrow.

In fact there are tons of players not in the big 6 sides that I'd love to have in our team: Kalvin Phillips, Jack Harrison and Raphinha at Leeds all walk in to our best XI, Bissouma, Lamphey and Trossard at Brighton all walk into our best XI. Tyrone Mings, John Mcginn and Ollie Watkins all walk into our best XI. Guehi, Gallagher, Tyrick Mitchell and Zaha all walk into our best XI.....the list goes on I'm afraid

Edited by tickler28

1 minute ago, tickler28 said:

Sorry I'm gonna have to disagree I'm afraid....West Ham have several players that would walk into our team....Coufal,  Soucek, Fornals, Benrahma,  Rice and Zouma would all be picked in my Leicester XI if they were in our squad tomorrow

With both squads fully fit there's no way I would take both Soucek and Rice in our starting 11 because that essentially means that you are picking one of them over Tielemans, which would be absolute lunacy. The other thing worth mentioning is that some of those players looked absolutely shocking before Moyes came in and got a tune out of them. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JonnyBoy said:

Geoff Peters was on talk sport this morning saying only a handful of fans would be OK with Brendan leaving. i think he has underestimated that by quite somewhat reading this thread. 

Laura Woods couldn't believe any fans would be OK with him leaving. I like Laura but her knowledge on goings on outside the top 6 is poor.

A few people I know have turned, or on the fence, and its clear to see on foxestalk a large chunk are losing faith in him.

For me his comments are a sign of someone who is no longer up to the project we have here and risks messing up the mindset of the squad if its not already damaged enough.

5 minutes ago, tickler28 said:

Sorry I'm gonna have to disagree I'm afraid....West Ham have several players that would walk into our team....Coufal,  Soucek, Fornals, Benrahma,  Rice and Zouma would all be picked in my Leicester XI if they were in our squad tomorrow

Ah yes this myth comes back again. Benrahma and Rice maybe but the Leicester at full tilt from the last couple of years are vastly superior to posh Burnley.

2 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

With both squads fully fit there's no way I would take both Soucek and Rice in our starting 11 because that essentially means that you are picking one of them over Tielemans, which would be absolute lunacy. The other thing worth mentioning is that some of those players looked absolutely shocking before Moyes came in and got a tune out of them. 

Pretty sure other than Rice and maybe Fornals Moyes has signed the rest

3 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Also Tielemans has one leg already in the taxi out of Leicester mate. He doesn't want to be here anymore and who can blame him?

9 minutes ago, tickler28 said:

Not a chance in hell. When we are fully fit and firing, they haven't even got one player that would get in. 

• Haha 4

Just now, 4everfox said:

Not a chance in hell. When we are fully fit and firing, they haven't even got one player that would get in. 

Bowen is better than any right winger we have. Fornals is better than Maddison. There's arguments other players are a close call but those two are definitely better than ours in the same position.

1 minute ago, KFS said:

Ah yes this myth comes back again. Benrahma and Rice maybe but the Leicester at full tilt from the last couple of years are vastly superior to posh Burnley.

How come they keep kicking our backside then. Take Vardy and Tielemans out of our team and we are nothing special at all. We are basically a decent mid table team without them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 4everfox said:

Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better but I don't think many would agree with you without their blue tinted spectacles on

6 minutes ago, tickler28 said:

Pretty sure other than Rice and maybe Fornals Moyes has signed the rest

Those were the two I was referring too. I remember when West Ham came to us not long after Moyes has just been reappointed. Rice was absolute muck that night. He was highly rated at that point though, I'll give you that. 

I would be interested to see what would happen if we swapped managers. 

1 hour ago, mozartfox said:

The current results are not just his fault. Yes his and the coaching Team's performance is a contributory factor.

BUT - Some of the players are letting him and us down at the moment.  Why is something that needs sorting as well as BR either leaving or staying.  Need all this frigging resolved sooner rather than later.

Everything you have said is %100 true BUT, getting the best put of individuals is supposed to be something that he is great at. We've heard plenty about how one of the things that make home one of the best managers around is his man to man management and how he seems to improve players... That doesn't appear to be the case right now.

5 hours ago, 5waller5 said:

Style and entertainment isn’t too important if you’re winning, I agree.

However, we already seem to set up to shithouse a win, week in week out, we surrender any attacking intent and set out to defend the game a sneak a goal.

it seems to me that the easy way for us to improve is to have some attacking intentions and take the pressure off our defenders by putting pressure on theirs! 

We’re not even setting up to shithouse a win imo.

We set out by deluding ourselves into thinking we ‘control’ games, by dominating possession.

Whilst we dominate possession we couldn’t be further away from dominating games.

Teams are happy for us to have possession safe in the knowledge we’ll be no threat whatsoever, infact the only threat we are is to ourselves, ultimately making a mistake and letting the opposition in or the opposition being allowed to put us under pressure and force a mistake.

We’re scared of going near or past the halfway line.

I like nothing more than a shithouse win, they can often be up there with most satisfying of wins, but shithousing wins we are most certainly not.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

How come they keep kicking our backside then. Take Vardy and Tielemans out of our team and we are nothing special at all. We are basically a decent mid table team without them.

Take Antonio and Soucek out of their side and they're worse than a decent mid table team - it works both ways lol