Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

People have to take into account opposition tactics against us. They are never going to sit back and let us play the way we want to. Man.Utd. did that and that was stupid.. They do their homework and set out to spoil our play. We play 4-2-3-1 and they attempt to nullify it. We play 3-4 -1-2 and they have an answer. That is why I want to see us improvise and switch the play to surprise them. There is too much rigidity out there Rodgers should loosen his grip and let the team take some responsibility.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

All this talk about overachieving and underachieving.

What we need is that individual players and the team as a whole realise their potential and achieve what they are fully capable of.

In my role as a boss, I see that as my primary goal - to provide a platform and environment for staff and students etc to do exactly that. I am paid to do that. 

As a manager that should be BR's objective. He set out reasonable expectations based on what the potential of the squad and club was when he arrived. 2 5th places and an FA Cup are not overachieving. Challenging for top 6 and good cup results should be realistic expectations for the club and this squad. He needs to live up to his initial words and create that environment with tactics and man management that enables that. Tonight is a crucial test. 

It depends what objective he was set by the owner/club, we don't know what they were maybe he has overachieved against those but who knows.

I personally think it was a gambit to take a little pressure of the players, which has backfired with the fan base. 

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

People have to take into account opposition tactics against us. They are never going to sit back and let us play the way we want to. Man.Utd. did that and that was stupid.. They do their homework and set out to spoil our play. We play 4-2-3-1 and they attempt to nullify it. We play 3-4 -1-2 and they have an answer. That is why I want to see us improvise and switch the play to surprise them. There is too much rigidity out there Rodgers should loosen his grip and let the team take some responsibility.

Totally agree. I'd like to see formation changes during the games if things aren't going well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

All this talk about overachieving and underachieving.

What we need is that individual players and the team as a whole realise their potential and achieve what they are fully capable of.

In my role as a boss, I see that as my primary goal - to provide a platform and environment for staff and students etc to do exactly that. I am paid to do that. 

As a manager that should be BR's objective. He set out reasonable expectations based on what the potential of the squad and club was when he arrived. 2 5th places and an FA Cup are not overachieving. Challenging for top 6 and good cup results should be realistic expectations for the club and this squad. He needs to live up to his initial words and create that environment with tactics and man management that enables that. Tonight is a crucial test. 

There's no such thing as over- or under-achieving. You achieve what you achieve. Ultimately, everyone can do better, it's impossible for everyone to play at 100% every game.

Like you say, it's the bosses job to motivate and provide a platform to perform, but they will still only ever perform as a collective as good as they are capable.

Now, if people were talking about under performing...

Obviously, you can't over perform, though. :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

Nail on head and something I’ve been asking ever since Puel was here.

Hence calling this awful style we play exclusively a ‘one size fits all’ style as so many teams play it, look clueless and it becomes very tiresome and boring.

I don’t buy into this ‘opposition spoil our play’ or ‘they don’t play how we want them to play’, how many times have we heard Pep or Klopp bleat about it? Isn’t that the idea? To make it hard for opposition? Get something out the game? Of course they’re not going to ‘play how you want them to play’ why would they?!!

Just switch it up abit, have a mix of all styles, don’t allow yourself to be so rigid, stubborn and bloody minded, don’t think you must play this way at all costs and this way only, surprise teams and don’t be so predictable.

Edited by Matt

6 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Was winning the league overachieving?  No. We won it on merit because we had 10 more points than any other team at the end. 

Finishing 5th two years running when we were in the top four both seasons until the last game wasn’t overachieving, it was underachieving. It was there to be had, we let it slip both seasons. 

Was winning the FA Cup overachieving?  Nope, we finished the game 1-0 up. Whatever the circumstances, that was the result and we won it. 

I could go on - I usually do. What I am saying is that we are not over achieving. That suggests fluke or luck or - in Brendan’s mind - the influence of an utterly brilliant manager. If he was THAT good we would have secured CL football 2 seasons running. 

The mere fact that he used that word is diabolical on so many levels. It almost excuses the shit performances whilst adding a little sparkle to the wee man himself. He’s supposed to be a top notch man manager. Well in that one sentence he basically pulled the rug from beneath every player and every achievement. Utterly bonkers. 

That's nuts.

We deffo over achieved. I'm sure the majority of our fans of sound mind would admit to that. Would anyone have, even those that had a bet on it, seriously believed we would have won the title. That doesn't mean we didn't deserve it. Those two things are not the same.

• Like 2

We are actually quite easy to beat. We'll turn up tonight playing the same way, knocking it around the back, opposition half pressing us into mistakes and we cause our own problems. West Ham exploited it perfectly, that gave every other side a template on how to beat Leicester City. Apart from Man Utd, we haven't deserved to win a game in the PL this season. Is Brendan capable of swallowing his pride and adopting a different style of play? He seems too stubborn. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, FLINTHAMFC said:

That's nuts.

We deffo over achieved. I'm sure the majority of our fans of sound mind would admit to that. Would anyone have, even those that had a bet on it, seriously believed we would have won the title. That doesn't mean we didn't deserve it. Those two things are not the same.

We can have different opinions, no worries there. I mean, you’re wrong, but that’s ok. 

Over a season you finish pretty much where you deserve to finish. That isn’t over achieving, that is deserved. 

I mean, if you’re happy with the little Leicester narrative then cool. Personally I think we have achieved more than that and should aspire to be more than that. It won’t last forever, but whilst we are reaching for those heights, why try and undermine it with an assessment of overachieving? THAT is nuts. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

We can have different opinions, no worries there. I mean, you’re wrong, but that’s ok. 

Over a season you finish pretty much where you deserve to finish. That isn’t over achieving, that is deserved. 

I mean, if you’re happy with the little Leicester narrative then cool. Personally I think we have achieved more than that and should aspire to be more than that. It won’t last forever, but whilst we are reaching for those heights, why try and undermine it with an assessment of overachieving? THAT is nuts. 

I think you might be mixing up overachieved with undeserved. Over achievement is largely a positive. No is saying we didn't deserve to finish 5th or win the FA Cup.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Curious viewpoint. How does saying we overachieved undermine anything? We performed noticeably better than pre-season expectations, the very definition of over achievement. This little old Leicester nonsense comes from people with that exact mindset who attempt to push our historic performance levels beyond what is reality. This season we are well on course to underachieve, am I overmining something?  lol

1 hour ago, ARM1968 said:

By that logic I assume we also couldn't underachieve, only finish where we deserve?

You can deserve something but still overachieve, as we did when we won the league.

1 hour ago, BrummieFOX said:

I think you might be mixing up overachieved with undeserved. Over achievement is largely a positive. No is saying we didn't deserve to finish 5th or win the FA Cup.

Nope. Not at all. I am pitching it against the negative use of the word by Brendan Todgers. That was not used in a positive way. 

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

Curious viewpoint. How does saying we overachieved undermine anything? We performed noticeably better than pre-season expectations, the very definition of over achievement. This little old Leicester nonsense comes from people with that exact mindset who attempt to push our historic performance levels beyond what is reality. This season we are well on course to underachieve, am I overmining something?  lol

I think, sir, you are confused. Set against the detrimental and self serving use of the term by Brendan Rodgers, we have not over achieved.  It’s not rocket. 

2 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

I think, sir, you are confused. Set against the detrimental and self serving use of the term by Brendan Rodgers, we have not over achieved.  It’s not rocket. 

You do realise this is neither a rebuttal or a counter argument, more of an exit strategy. :rolleyes: