Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

6 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

Whilst Bertrand was bobbins I have no idea why Rodgers put him in a game like that when he hasn’t played a full 90 in two months. 

And why he was instructed to play anywhere on the pitch other than left back! Even If he had no choice other than to play him, then he should've been under the strict instructions to maintain his position at left back and not leave us totally exposed down that side - we had plenty of attacking talent on the pitch to afford him to play as a more defensive full back. 

I do feel for Brendan. Losing Fofana in defence has been huge. It is not only his running but his overall awareness and anticipation that we have missed. 

Really only Evans and Castagne give me confidence at the back these days. 

I do think that Brendan may be over analysing things and maybe players are getting confused with lectures different formations and natural awareness and creativity is dwindling etc. Players don't seem to be thinking about relatively basic tasks like keeping the ball out of the box, checking who is stood behind them etc and don't know whether it is lack of confidence, ability or fear of making mistakes. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, turlo said:

And why he was instructed to play anywhere on the pitch other than left back! Even If he had no choice other than to play him, then he should've been under the strict instructions to maintain his position at left back and not leave us totally exposed down that side - we had plenty of attacking talent on the pitch to afford him to play as a more defensive full back. 

This. The tactics just after HT yesterday were totally ridiculous. All we needed was a draw but,  presumably at Rodgers' request, we had full backs bombing forward, leaving Napoli huge spaces in behind to attack and exploit We should have come out with 2 solid banks of 4 after HT to slowly strangle the game before looking to catch them on the counter as they got increasingly desperate.

• Like 1

If you think the results now make his position tenuous just wait until we get absolutely thrashed by one or more of the top teams in the PL.  So far we've been conceding soft goals to average sides but our frailties will really be exposed by talent.  I don't think it will be long coming.

• Like 1

Guest Chocolate Teapot
1 minute ago, Sunbury Fox said:

This. The tactics just after HT yesterday were totally ridiculous. All we needed was a draw but,  presumably at Rodgers' request, we had full backs bombing forward, leaving Napoli huge spaces in behind to attack and exploit We should have come out with 2 solid banks of 4 after HT to slowly strangle the game before looking to catch them on the counter as they got increasingly desperate.

His subs yesterday were abysmal.

Picking bertrand was beyond stupid too.

My biggest problem with him is that he doesn't seem to be able to fix the problems we have and he can't seem to fire the players up. Something isn't right and it's getting to the point where we are heading for serious problems. Either we stick with him and pray that he can sort our problems out, or we reshuffle with someone else.

He took over a good team from Puel and managed to get them all playing at their best, then we had the second half collapse and he struggled to sort it out. The next season, fairly similar, got us going early on and then couldn't fix the second half of the season problems. This season has been problems right from the get go and nothing has been done. It's not like he hasn't had time to fix it.

I want consistency but I don't want us to persist with something that isn't and will not work. Tough one.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

It's really simple isn't it. With our defence as bad as it is then it's case of working a simple system where only 1 full back attacks at a time and Wilf maintains his position in from of our back line to deal with any counter attacks. Without a natural winger/inside forward on the right, I can understand why Castagne had to push forward to overlap but on the left side its the complete opposite. 

I think Top will give him a bit longer as they seem to be close and he will be loathe to sack him, however looking at our fixture list it is inevitable, if he is lucky he will make the new year but sadly it is when not if.I am scratching my head trying to understand how it has gone so badly wrong.

8 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

For me we have 3 options. 

1. Sack Rodgers. Difficulty with this being the cost of sacking him and the lack of available options to replace him. 

2. Back Rodgers and give him money in Jan to get a centre back and maybe a centre mid/winger. Also back him by actively clearing some of the shit out of our squad. Do we potentially sell Tielemans if we can get a decent bid as we know he's leaving anyway and use the money to get a few new signings. Obviously risky as January is notoriously difficult to get any decent signings without being ripped off. 

3. Stick with Rodgers until the end of the season and either hope he turns it round and he can rebuild in the summer or get shut in the summer when there may be more options to replace him.

We are at a huge point where all the hard work getting us to the levels we've seen recently could either be thrown away or built back up. Some very big decisions for Top, Rudkin and Whelan. 

Top & the board have earned my trust on this matter. Whether he stays or goes they tend to get these decisions right. 

I would love to give Rodgers the chance to turn it around but feel like his time is up here. 

The FA Cup is the tricky bit isn't it. It's the bit that makes us and the media go 'surely he gets more time' just like with Claudio and the title.

Problem is we were terrible leading up to the cup final, shocking in the semi final and somehow got through... and if we're all being honest, both teams were pretty rubbish in the final, with Chelsea players spending 90 minutes trying not to get injured ahead of the Champions League final.

It's carried on since too, I'm not entirely sure what the right decision is, he'll cost a fortune to get rid of and lets be honest we're not going to go down this year with what else is towards the bottom... might Top just write the season off and come to some sort of amicable agreement with BR at the end of it?

36 minutes ago, Crinklyfox said:

If you think the results now make his position tenuous just wait until we get absolutely thrashed by one or more of the top teams in the PL.  So far we've been conceding soft goals to average sides but our frailties will really be exposed by talent.  I don't think it will be long coming.

...they will be facing European competition and having to play 2 games a week, they will field their reserves!!!

54 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

Whilst Bertrand was bobbins I have no idea why Rodgers put him in a game like that when he hasn’t played a full 90 in two months. 

Was just about to post this, absolutely baffling decision . No matter how bad Bertrand is any player would struggle after been out for over a month.

3 minutes ago, Flannel_Fox said:

Top & the board have earned my trust on this matter. Whether he stays or goes they tend to get these decisions right. 

I would love to give Rodgers the chance to turn it around but feel like his time is up here. 

I wanted him to turn it around and I still have moments where I think if he can get it sorted after Christmas and take us on a run we can finish right up there.

The biggest issue and where I have lost all confidence is how he keeps addressing the media. He papers over the cracks, throws out numerous excuses and doesn't ever hold his hands up despite us continuously making the same mistake after mistake, playing the same brand of tedious slow football and showing a clear lack of desire to help turn it around. Every week it's newspaper quote after newspaper quote, just give the fans some indication that you want to sort this out and you acknowledge we have to be far far better. At the moment Im unfortunately left to think he just doesn't have a clue on how to sort this, in which case he's got to go.

7 minutes ago, Flannel_Fox said:

The defensive problems are his alone, he's the chief so he must take the blame. The regular excuse for leaking so many goals is the absence of Fontona and JJ. However. if my memory serves me right we had a much tighter defence before Fontona even joined.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

You'd think by now, after all that writing, that he'd have cracked it!

image.png.472c7163f371b9bdbb4decd5610d5a90.png

1. 2 pounds of Spuds.

2. 1 Pound of brussel sprouts.

3. 1 Pound of carrots.

4. Bottle of Sherry.

5. Christmas card for Top

6. No Christmas card for Bertrand!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Fox1norfolk said:

The defensive problems are his alone, he's the chief so he must take the blame. The regular excuse for leaking so many goals is the absence of Fontona and JJ. However. if my memory serves me right we had a much tighter defence before Fontona even joined.

Has Fontona even joined yet?

• Haha 1