Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

6 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

The biggest annoyance is the constant reply to any questions regarding the defence being “we’re working on it” what exactly are they working on? Because it really is not working!

After the first 3-4 games we were leaking goals, so after 16 games with exactly the same problem suggests he does not know what he's doing

24 minutes ago, Le Renard said:

It doesn't help Rodgers that Söyüncü has been off it for a long time now, and Johnny Evans trying to manage an ongoing injury.  I think Evans looks at around at his defensive partner and he sees that he can't trust this guy, and then he thinks 'it doesn't matter Ndidi has got my back', oh wait, no he hasn't, he's tip toeing around the pitch like Billy Elliot.

P.s. This is not a personnel attack on Billy Elliot or any young lad who wants to become a dancer.

I thought he was ‘back’ after the Warsaw and Watford games, he looked composed and confident again.

Now, they are two poor teams, but take nothing away from those results and performances, there were positives and praise to be took out of them as the likes of those opposition are what we usually really struggle against because ‘we can’t break them down’ (have we even tried in the past?!), against those two we went at them, attacked them, played forward football, we were positive, it worked, we won, it was a glimpse of exciting, enjoyable football. Shock!!

It could be purely coincidence but for me it makes sense why he looked happier, more composed and more confident playing that way.

Edited by Matt

Those comments about the Europa Conference League were daft, and made in the heat of the moment.

I'm sure he's regretting what he said now. 

He needs to pick a side that will graft for him and play with intensity throughout. It's all about mentality and confidence. 

I don't think Soyuncu or Barnes should start the next game, they need to learn that you have to play with full commitment and concentration throughout the game. Bertrand should be away from the squad as much as possible! 

I can't help but to think of his recent strange remarks in interviews like when you 17 year old dog starts p!ssing and sh!tting in the house because it can't tell the differance between inside and outside anymore. 

You know that it's only going one way and sooner or later you're going to need to do it but you try and hold off. Sooner or later, we need to stop being selfish and consider his quality of life. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NeilLCFC said:

I’ve slept on it before posting in fear of being labelled ‘reactionary’. This morning I’m still wishing he ****s off.

I’ve come on to see what wine-addled me thought about him and his post-match comments…and am amazed I’m actually far angrier than that while sober.

I wouldn’t even let him on the team flight home - just pop him on one of those transport buses that drive off around Naples in the wrong direction and fučin leave him there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I know we have key injuries but looking at the second goal yesterday, isn’t that just organisation ?

Youthful Evans steps up.

Debutant Soyuncu then just follows him. 
Young player of year Castagne is clueless as to why his centre backs are running out.

Bursting onto the scene Bertrand thinks it’s half time. 

That’s all organisation. It’s drilling via coaching that if we are going to play offside, one needs to shout and the others should follow. Same thing happened with Rashford when we played United. If you want to play your high line, the players need to have the system in place to ensure they’re all on the same page. 

It must be the youthful naivety though.

The fundamental problem with Rodgers is that he glorifies himself above all others. Watching that Liverpool documentary a few years back gave a disturbing insight into his arrogance and self-importance.

I just wonder whether some of the players are now finding that aspect of his character a turn-off, especially now that he is making bad decision after bad decision yet still hurling all the blame in their direction.

Yes, the players should play first and foremost for the shirt and the club, not the manager, but the team is a horribly dysfunctional unit at the moment, of that can there can be no doubt.

(Take the example of Maddison. Our one in-form player going into last night's game, yet Rodgers shunts him out to the wing, where he has never been comfortable. Why? What is he playing at?)

Edited by Hammo

BR comes across as someone who tries to get the best out of his players by encouraging them rather than giving them the hairdryer treatment.But he has been let down badly by some and he needs to put a rocket under some of them. David Moyes has got the balance right in this respect.

Edited by drofmor55
spelling

2 hours ago, Fox1norfolk said:

The defensive problems are his alone, he's the chief so he must take the blame. The regular excuse for leaking so many goals is the absence of Fontona and JJ. However. if my memory serves me right we had a much tighter defence before Fontona even joined.

You can’t say the defensive problems are his alone. He didn’t tell Cags to fire the pass into Youri, or for Bertrand to keep everyone onside. These are basic things that are taught at the lowest levels of football, these are individual mistakes. There is the organisation from set pieces which has to sit with the coaches but also the players not winning individual duels and kasper being poor coming from crosses. 

These problems would not be fixed immediately by just hiring a new manager. These players are out of form and low on confidence. As soon as we concede a crap goal into the new managers reign, the players heads would drop again.

6 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

His comments are just weird. What's this youthful bollocks? Back line has an average age of 30 last night. There were 4 internationals in it, some of whom have won silverware before. 

Absolutely. Rearrange words into well known phrase:

At Clutching Straws.

8 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

His comments are just weird. What's this youthful bollocks? Back line has an average age of 30 last night. There were 4 internationals in it, some of whom have won silverware before. 

Last night all but 1 of the players who started and came off the bench has won major silverware of some kind

The only one who hasn’t is KDH, and he was probably our best player

Edited by moore_94

2 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

I think it was desperation, it was that comment that made my eyebrows twitch, and his facial expression that has informed my decision, he knows what's needed, but not sure he knows how to deliver, a real shame I like him and want him to succeed, but it's not happening, the game against Newcastle will be crucial!

I'm a fan of Brendan Rodgers but the 2nd goal we conceded yesterday must go down as a sackable offence. I can't remember the last time I saw defending like that at this level. There are amateur teams with better defensive organisation and I genuinely don't think that's hyperbole.

• Like 1

Guest Kopfkino
18 minutes ago, Dusty said:

You can’t say the defensive problems are his alone. He didn’t tell Cags to fire the pass into Youri, or for Bertrand to keep everyone onside. These are basic things that are taught at the lowest levels of football, these are individual mistakes. There is the organisation from set pieces which has to sit with the coaches but also the players not winning individual duels and kasper being poor coming from crosses. 

These problems would not be fixed immediately by just hiring a new manager. These players are out of form and low on confidence. As soon as we concede a crap goal into the new managers reign, the players heads would drop again.

But the players don’t seem bothered about conceding goals and that comes from the top, either they’ve stopped stopped listening to the manager or he isn’t instilling the right mentality into them. Either of them can be helped by a new manager.

I actually don’t care about the organisational aspect now, I’m just used to the shambles, it’s the attitude and desire that ****s me off more.

Kasper was whittling on about winning being more important than clean sheets the other day. Like yes it is but if you keep a clean sheet, you can’t lose. We didn’t have to win yesterday, we just needed to keep a clean sheet to still be in the competition in whichever round. Why is Kasper not absolutely desperate to keep a clean sheet rather than excusing it by saying well winning is most important? 

Why is Barnes not absolutely desperate to stop the ball coming into the box for the third goal, why is Bertrand not busting a gut to get back for the first goal, whether in vein or not? Why is Ndidi not sensing the danger for the first goal and getting over as quick as possible? Why do we just not track runners? Where is the desire to stop the ball going into the net? Whether it’s organisation or mentality it comes down to the manager.

We started the 15/16 season defensively terrible, we conceded the same number after 10 games as this season. But Claudio made keeping clean sheets the be all and end all, such that we ended up winning 4 or 5 games in a row 1-0. Sure some of that came from organisation but it also came from the laser sharp focus on clean sheets. Lo and behold, we were successful.

9 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

But the players don’t seem bothered about conceding goals and that comes from the top, either they’ve stopped stopped listening to the manager or he isn’t instilling the right mentality into them. Either of them can be helped by a new manager.

I actually don’t care about the organisational aspect now, I’m just used to the shambles, it’s the attitude and desire that ****s me off more.

Kasper was whittling on about winning being more important than clean sheets the other day. Like yes it is but if you keep a clean sheet, you can’t lose. We didn’t have to win yesterday, we just needed to keep a clean sheet to still be in the competition in whichever round. Why is Kasper not absolutely desperate to keep a clean sheet rather than excusing it by saying well winning is most important? 

Why is Barnes not absolutely desperate to stop the ball coming into the box for the third goal, why is Bertrand not busting a gut to get back for the first goal, whether in vein or not? Why is Ndidi not sensing the danger for the first goal and getting over as quick as possible? Why do we just not track runners? Where is the desire to stop the ball going into the net? Whether it’s organisation or mentality it comes down to the manager.

We started the 15/16 season defensively terrible, we conceded the same number after 10 games as this season. But Claudio made keeping clean sheets the be all and end all, such that we ended up winning 4 or 5 games in a row 1-0. Sure some of that came from organisation but it also came from the laser sharp focus on clean sheets. Lo and behold, we were successful.

Personally seems a bit far fetched to say that they don’t care about conceding. They obviously care. 

I think everyone is really low on confidence, and that takes fight out of you. I agree Brendan’s got to try bring the confidence back but at the same time he can’t stop players making individual errors.

We also can’t say that we’re not trying to get clean sheets as that’s obviously not the game plan either.

1 minute ago, Dusty said:

Personally seems a bit far fetched to say that they don’t care about conceding. They obviously care. 

I think everyone is really low on confidence, and that takes fight out of you. I agree Brendan’s got to try bring the confidence back but at the same time he can’t stop players making individual errors.

We also can’t say that we’re not trying to get clean sheets as that’s obviously not the game plan either.

They don’t believe in the system they’re being told to play - That makes it look like individual errors as they simply aren’t doing what’s natural.

Cags being the clearest example - he’s looking around trying to be in his correct zone, instead of just doing what’s natural and attacking the ball. 

Watch kid’s football - it’s so plain to see at that level when players are too worried about the system and whether they’re pleasing the manager. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Brendan won us the FA cup and has had us playing great football until recently so give him a break , he’s got half the squad out with injuries or illness so we need to get behind him and the team as we won’t find a better manager right now. 

• Haha 1

I think he'll be gone soon. There comes a point where the cost of paying him off is offset by what you stand to lose by keeping him, whether that be lost revenue from prize money for league position, reduction in live TV payments, loss of revenue from European qualification, reduction in player values, etc, etc. 

I've tried to remain as balanced as possible throughout, but the last couple of games have made me realise that our defensive organisation has to be down to the manager.

For as bad as certain players have been (and some have been shocking) I'm not convinced that said players would consistently concede a minimum of 2 goals a game if you individually put them in the starting eleven of the bottom 3/4 sides in the league. Even the worst culprits such as Bertrand and Vestergaard whilst not exceptional are established PL players who have managed to hold their own in recent seasons. Therefore this for me is on the manager and it's either something he's asking them to do (which presumably they aren't capable of or comfortable with) or something they simply aren't grasping. 

Right now I think we need to get back to basics and build some defensive stability and then take it from there. I'd be inclined to ditch the marauding FBs and revert to an experienced back line that are first and foremost defenders. If that means a back four of Bertrand, Vestergaard, Evans, and Amartey (we're short of an outright defensive FB) that's what I'd go with as we need to stop conceding 2 goals a game. What this team needs more than anything right now are defenders who can play as a unit, something we've been lacking for a very long time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1